Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Andrast posted:

When I read "sire" my mind went to vampire stuff which is kind of funny

Shows how I learned English

Could have been worse. You could have been trying to learn Japanese through anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Unless the AI bots dramatically improve I think pod drafting is inevitable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol. I have to believe pod drafts are their highest requested feature, maybe on par with additional platforms. The fact they won't commit to it speaks volumes.

anyone who cares deeply about pod drafts is probably already pretty deeply hooked, and i strongly suspect you wildly overestimate the number of arena players who even know what it is

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The arena manager said on stream a week or two ago they don’t think that pod drafts would fire in a time they find people who play arena would find acceptable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
step on my cu🅱️es draft

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tainen posted:

The arena manager said on stream a week or two ago they don’t think that pod drafts would fire in a time they find people who play arena would find acceptable.

In practice I think they're right that the vast majority of players would prefer sticking with bot drafts just for the convenience, so I get where they're coming from. Having the option will be nice if/when they ever actually do it, but I think a lot of people who think they want it will change their minds when it actually happens. If they end up having more tournaments and poo poo on Arena it'll be good for that though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

Related artist taking a break news: you might not know Carmen Sinek, as she's only illustrated four cards before ELD, but she's not going to be doing much more art for a while. A brain tumor knocked the art out of her, and she forgot ten years of How to Draw. Pretty scary stuff.

https://twitter.com/CarmenSinek/status/1174852941628358656

That's got to be heartbreaking. I can't even imagine what that must feel like.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ratte

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is Cinderella's carriage the only card that makes mice?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

That list of things which includes pod drafting is “The community asked us about these things but it’s not happening in 2020”

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Real drafting would be so much better, I would actually do ranked and cube would feel a lot better. I wouldn't mind waiting 5 to 10 minutes for them to fire, that's almost the same experience as mtgo anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Is Cinderella's carriage the only card that makes mice?

Just use Riptide Replicator if you want a second generator so bad,

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Could have been worse. You could have been trying to learn Japanese through anime.

Or Russian through Magic cards.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

Could have been worse. You could have been trying to learn Japanese through animehentai.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Onii-chan means gigolo

Is anyone watching the LRR prerelease? Adam's izzet deck seems really strong.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
FYI for anyone worried about hitting level 100 in Arena, there was a code in the latest State of the Game article that will boost you 5 levels.

FiveBonusLevels

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Real drafting would be so much better, I would actually do ranked and cube would feel a lot better. I wouldn't mind waiting 5 to 10 minutes for them to fire, that's almost the same experience as mtgo anyway.

They're so afraid of long queue times that the stated reason for brawl being one day a week is so people don't get sick of it and leave new players who want to try it facing long queues, so imo it's in the crazy pile of 'here's a whacky idea we may get to someday!' because they've basically decided they don't want to do it at all even though they may eventually cave due to pressure. Ryan Spain seems pretty annoyed about it since he was one of the people who designed the bots and he says they were meant to be a stop-gap kiddie table solution and weren't programmed to be a long term answer, but obviously design goals changed after he left the team.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 20, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

If the bots get better, or if they dramatically increase the number of times they update the bots, maybe. But M20 really put a focus on the issue and I suspect your whale is the sort of person to draft enough to figure out how to beat the bots and get bored with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

100% agree that they need to give the bots better programming/responsiveness to the meta if they're the long term plan now. They were built for a different purpose, so if this is what they are now, they have to upgrade them to be up to the job. I was just listening to Limited Resources earlier and they admitted they basically didn't play M20 in paper at all, so their perspective on the whole set is shaped by the bot drafts.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 20, 2019

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
It wouldn't just be 5-10 minutes, the whole point of pod drafting is you play the entire swiss with those same players. No one is going to want to put down 4-5 hours to play a draft swiss.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That "win one of every standard card" thing is pretty loving neat

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

moush posted:

It wouldn't just be 5-10 minutes, the whole point of pod drafting is you play the entire swiss with those same players. No one is going to want to put down 4-5 hours to play a draft swiss.

one of the MTGO queues is "draft in pod, play against anyone" which most people are fine with.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wow now that they are just giving away 5 free levels after I maxed out the last few with gems since I wouldn't get to play much the next week or so, I understand the people who paid off their student loans being mad about the concept of debt forgiveness. :colbert:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lone Goat posted:

one of the MTGO queues is "draft in pod, play against anyone" which most people are fine with.

Yeah this would be the ideal and seems like it would avoid the worst problems of being stuck in queue forever, unless you're drafting in the middle of the night or something.

Does the Mastery Pass change significantly for Eldraine, as far as what comes with it? I'm really not a fan of the Technicolor cat thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I expect a even more roping and molten salt in the "brew and win one of everything" event given that it's a one-attempt-and-done.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

moush posted:

Yeah people complained for all of two seconds when they changed to in-pod draft out-of-pod matches. Nobody wants to go back to that they just want to draft in a real metagame and not against shoddy, predictable, abusable bots.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
To be honest this list wasn't as fun once they removed the suspension reasons....

https://twitter.com/MTGOsalseo/status/1175004981252038656?s=19

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Is there any particular reason they can't/won't do Eternal-style asynchronous drafting?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Is there any particular reason they can't/won't do Eternal-style asynchronous drafting?

The concept of wheeling in mtg drafts is too important to them to give up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing in an Open tomorrow and trying to decide between UW and Bant Stoneblade in Modern. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on those decks, I know UW's got the better record overall, it seems like the more consistent option but Bant is powerful in it's own right and I really like a lot of the cards played in Bant shells.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this would be the ideal and seems like it would avoid the worst problems of being stuck in queue forever, unless you're drafting in the middle of the night or something.

Does the Mastery Pass change significantly for Eldraine, as far as what comes with it? I'm really not a fan of the Technicolor cat thing.

MTGO had pod drafts and draft leagues (where you don't play against people you draft agains) simultaneously and nobody played the pod drafts, so they closed them

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

why have this in the same set as mice tokens lmao

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dragon enthusiast posted:

why have this in the same set as mice tokens lmao

rats aren't mice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Playing in an Open tomorrow and trying to decide between UW and Bant Stoneblade in Modern. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on those decks, I know UW's got the better record overall, it seems like the more consistent option but Bant is powerful in it's own right and I really like a lot of the cards played in Bant shells.

im not saying you should play bant, i'm just saying you get to play with baleful strix with bant snowblade

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Play Vannifar Pod like me, its Bant-tastic.

You can cast Kiki when you're opponent plays Blood Moon like me

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The concept of wheeling in mtg drafts is too important to them to give up.

This is just like in-pod play vs. league play. People will complain for a day or two and then realize it’s just way better than the alternative.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kurieg posted:

rats aren't mice.

you gonna tell me foxes aren't wolves either?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Heck, even if the wheel really was that important you could do it async for the first 8 picks and only use the bots to figure out which cards wheeled, and it would be a substantial improvement over the status quo.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That would be even more different from a real booster draft than bot drafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dr. Stab posted:

That would be even more different from a real booster draft than bot drafts.

You are extremely incorrect. If you did 10 in-person drafts, and then did 10 bot drafts, and compared the decks, there would be an extreme difference between those two sets. With M20 in particular the bots just did not value insane cards highly at all and even mediocre cards like Faerie Miscreant or the Bow become good when you know the bots just don't take them ever.