Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Iron Crowned posted:

This makes me realize that we need to combine :hmmyes: and :orks101:

Madurai posted:

Just keep adding :hmmorks: in posts until it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:hmmorks:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Traditional Games › Unspiration: :hmmorks:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Every time I think we have too many smilies already I’m shown how wrong I can be.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

A quick Google says it was 1983, so nope.

it says 1991 on it

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Every time I think we have too many smilies already I’m shown how wrong I can be.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PierreTheMime posted:

What :blastu: ever :carol: do :d2a: you :lolplant: mean?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

:d2a: is extremely good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:blastu:

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I quite like this model, but blimey what’s wrong with the face?

I’d thought it was just a bad paint job, but then I saw the actual model...

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

fallingdownjoe posted:

I quite like this model, but blimey what’s wrong with the face?

I’d thought it was just a bad paint job, but then I saw the actual model...

Sculptor was probably in a bit of a rush, didn’t rotate the model to check that it looked good from more than a couple angles, and when they caught it, it had likely set already. That, or they bumped the face accidentally. Faces are difficult to sculpt, especially if you try to vary facial features or aren’t confident. I’m still poo poo at sculpting faces, and I spent about two months doing 4+ a week.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hedningen posted:

Sculptor was probably in a bit of a rush, didn’t rotate the model to check that it looked good from more than a couple angles, and when they caught it, it had likely set already. That, or they bumped the face accidentally. Faces are difficult to sculpt, especially if you try to vary facial features or aren’t confident. I’m still poo poo at sculpting faces, and I spent about two months doing 4+ a week.

An acceptable response for a personal sculpt, less so for forge world.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Booley posted:

That’s a Forge World sculpt? I was expecting it to be from a smaller company or a one-person operation somewhere.

Holy poo poo I clearly have been underestimating my own skills if they’re putting that out and calling it good.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hedningen posted:

That’s a Forge World sculpt? I was expecting it to be from a smaller company or a one-person operation somewhere.

Holy poo poo I clearly have been underestimating my own skills if they’re putting that out and calling it good.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Young-Bilbo-MTO-2019

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Booley posted:

holy poo poo lol

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Christ yeah I have a lot more tolerance for small groups. I expect a lot more from the big boys.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He looks like Malcolm McDowell pulling a face.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Booley posted:

I was about to say that was pretty decent for Reaper Bones or something, very good creepy Victorian thug with sunken eyes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Booley posted:

Forge World has a lot of weirdly poo poo sculpts/paintjobs considering their whole pitch seems to be "high end models for serious hobbyists" or somesuch. Check out this dude: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Thaetos-23-2-2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Moon Monster posted:

Forge World has a lot of weirdly poo poo sculpts/paintjobs considering their whole pitch seems to be "high end models for serious hobbyists" or somesuch. Check out this dude: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Thaetos-23-2-2019

I think that guy is a repack of one of the (now discontinued) rogue psyker models? Looks like the mold must be degraded (it's was never an exceptionally crisp model but that's more blobby than it was at one point)?

:shrug:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

lol

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

:laffo:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I think that used to be true, but GW' core sculpts have gotten so much better so much faster. I'm woking on 30k Thousand Sons atm, and I'm pretty much just using 40k parts cause they're just so much better.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Hot take close Forge world put the entire thing out of everyone's misery.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Grey Hunter posted:

A quick Google says it was 1983, so nope.

Remember that Tyranids were not a thing when we started collecting. Which was roughly 1991.

Then genestealer cults stopped being a thing for 2 decades or so.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That's because originally, Tyranids and Genestealers were not connected in any way.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think we saw the email thingiverse render of this awhile ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

your paints are too thicc

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ilor posted:

That's because originally, Tyranids and Genestealers were not connected in any way.

So it seems Tyranids as we know them were rolling out right as I was getting into the hobby as a kid. I recently gave my nephew my old copy of space hulk and the battered models.

Wikipedia says posted:

Tyranids were first mentioned in the 1987 rulebook Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader under the heading Tyranids and the Hive Fleets, and were illustrated in a form not too different from that of Gaunts.[1]

The first Tyranids used conventional, non-biological equipment such as lasguns and flak armor (although the rulebook stated that these represented organic equipment with similar capabilities).[2] The principal unit available to the Tyranids was the Zoat, a centaur-like creature enslaved to fight on the behalf of their Tyranid masters.

Games Workshop introduced the first Genestealer figures in 1989 in the game Space Hulk. The first recognizable incarnation of Tyranid warriors appeared in Advanced Space Crusade in 1990, featuring biological weaponry such as boneswords and deathspitters.[3]

Second Edition Warhammer 40,000, released in 1993, featured the Tyranids in the supplemental books Wargear and Codex Imperialis, and then later in their own devoted army Codex. An extensive model range was released, representing most of the units described in these publications. The army was, however, very different from the factions previously seen in the game.[4]

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

so genestealers are part of the tyranid swarm now, or what?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
They have been since the mid 90s. The Genestealer cult stuff is them seeding worlds ahead of the hive fleets and preparing them for being eaten, then in actual Tyranid swarms they mass as shock troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

your paints are too thicc