Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

forkboy84 posted:

Perfect time to change that, Meltzer gave JJ vs HBK at In Your House 2 ****1/2

I actually watched that match and now I can declare that Jeff Jarrett was ~always good~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, JJ held his own in that match. Athletic enough to keep up with Shawn and had some great old-school heel tactics with the Roadie.

IIRC, that was also the PPV where 'With My Baby Tonight' was first performed. If Elias did something similar nowadays (angle-driven stage performance plus a barn-burner match), we'd probably be praising him big time.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Jeff Jarrett as a midcard comedy heel was loving gold.

The skit in TNA where he beat up a children's MMA class to prove he could out wrestle Kurt Angle was damned funny.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

Jeff Jarrett as a midcard comedy heel was loving gold.

The skit in TNA where he beat up a children's MMA class to prove he could out wrestle Kurt Angle was damned funny.

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jeff Jarrett was 90s Baron Corbin.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
IT'S THE ULTIMATE SWERVE

THAT JARRETT HE'S A LATTER DAY LAURENCE OLIVIER HE IS

I was ten years old and I didn't want to see him on my TV.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

WeeLC might be the gold standard for WWE comedy matches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Kurt Angle loses a match to Rey Mysterio, grabs the mic and shouts,"What the heck is wrong with me? I just lost a match to a freaking 10-year-old!"

Either the same night or another he threatened to make Rey submit in their match, pointed out that Rey looks like a kid and smirked,"There's nothing I like more than getting on top of a 10-year-old boy and making him squeal!" before his face falls as he realizes what he just said.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

Kurt Angle loses a match to Rey Mysterio, grabs the mic and shouts,"What the heck is wrong with me? I just lost a match to a freaking 10-year-old!"

Either the same night or another he threatened to make Rey submit in their match, pointed out that Rey looks like a kid and smirked,"There's nothing I like more than getting on top of a 10-year-old boy and making him squeal!" before his face falls as he realizes what he just said.

Was this around the same time that he said his weakness was guttersluts and that he wanted to have bestiality sex with Booker T's wife?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v18098980mCjnb74W

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There was a Muscle Sakai where everything stopped so sad music could play while they played video promos from each of the wrestlers that was funny. I thought it was funny.

Also the New DayLorean Time Machine was pretty good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Was this around the same time that he said his weakness was guttersluts and that he wanted to have bestiality sex with Booker T's wife?

No, it was early in Rey's WWE run so it would have been around 2002 when Kurt still had hair. You're thinking of bald Kurt.

Which also reminds me of Kurt wearing a wig under an amateur wrestling helmet and insisting his hair had grown back after he lost a hair vs. hair match :allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

finally got around to watching this and i dont think anyone noticed the run in at the end is an obese man named SCOTT STERLING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That time Bryce Remsburg took a bullet for Ashley Remington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBv8UoLc3yk

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Positively Kanyon

also, since he's been discussed at length on this page, you can hear Jeff Jarrett's finest moment (off-camera) at about 1:30

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

No, it was early in Rey's WWE run so it would have been around 2002 when Kurt still had hair. You're thinking of bald Kurt.

Which also reminds me of Kurt wearing a wig under an amateur wrestling helmet and insisting his hair had grown back after he lost a hair vs. hair match :allears:

Must have been a good wig, Rey didn’t debut for a couple months after the hair match.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

IT'S THE ULTIMATE SWERVE

THAT JARRETT HE'S A LATTER DAY LAURENCE OLIVIER HE IS

I was ten years old and I didn't want to see him on my TV.

I must have been a broken child because I loved Jeff Jarrett. He was such a piece of poo poo with his glowing entrance gear.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
there was also the time Raven, after losing The Flock and going on a long losing streak, became so depressed his mom showed up to check on him, exposing him as actually a super rich trust fund baby in the process.

Which led to a series of segments where Raven took his last WCW friend, Kanyon, shopping (where he broke the fourth wall repeatedly).

"VER-SASE?" "What A Mark!"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I must have been a broken child because I loved Jeff Jarrett. He was such a piece of poo poo with his glowing entrance gear.

It was a long time coming for me, but I can just about understand why some people are big fans of his now. I do appreciate an unapologetic heel.

I also remembered that the commentary line I quoted was actually talking about David Arquette so sorry about that JJ!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Maki Itoh gets rolled into the ring and rolls all the way to the other side of the ring to the outside while screaming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Must have been a good wig, Rey didn’t debut for a couple months after the hair match.

Holy poo poo, really? I completely, genuinely believed it was pre-bald Kurt I didn't realize he lost his hair that early.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FYrIZw_B0

I appreciate kikutaro and kuishinbo kamen because they're willing to be complete clowns without any attempts at coolness or irony

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 21, 2019

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It was a long time coming for me, but I can just about understand why some people are big fans of his now. I do appreciate an unapologetic heel.

There are no excuses for his WCW run and he was awful there and in TNA 90% of the time, but something about the cocky 90s Double J is extremely my poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sometimes, wrestling is alright :unsmith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Buddy Roberts did the same thing years earlier when he lost a hair vs hair match

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's basically only 2 ways to really sell a hair vs hair stip for a heel. The Roberts/Angle 'it totally grew back see!" where they're bald for 7 times longer than it would really take for it to grow out. Or the Minoru Suzuki "here's your fuckin' hair shitlord now piss off" way.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I watched the PPV where Angle lost his hair when it happened, and I have fond memories of his hilarious cartoonish reaction when Edge gave him the mirror after he finally got him in the chair. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, Suzuki losing that hair match and his badass reaction was one of the coolest loving things I've ever seen.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

God, Suzuki losing that hair match and his badass reaction was one of the coolest loving things I've ever seen.

Goto standing there, not knowing what the gently caress was hilarious.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It was glorious.

I also have a soft spot for CM Punk wearing a mask to hide his baldness.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty much every hair match loser has ripped off Buddy Roberts

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Taichi and Kanemaru trying to sneak a dazed Suzuki off, Suzuki waking up and realizing "wait, I lost... gently caress YOU, I'M PAYING MY DEBT" and going back to the ring against the protests of his goons seemed like the most impossibly badass way to lose ever

and then he picked up the chair

and then swatted the chair already in the ring with the chair he grabbed

and then he put his chair down and shaved his own head

:allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus it was the best reverse then full GTR combo I've ever seen Goto do. It literally looked like we witnessed a murder.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I still prefer the Shibata murder:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Weren't both the Angle and Big Show hair v hair matches just to cover up that they were going bald?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Weren't both the Angle and Big Show hair v hair matches just to cover up that they were going bald?

That is why you do a hair match, yes. Or if you're sick of having long hair at 40.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Taichi and Kanemaru trying to sneak a dazed Suzuki off, Suzuki waking up and realizing "wait, I lost... gently caress YOU, I'M PAYING MY DEBT" and going back to the ring against the protests of his goons seemed like the most impossibly badass way to lose ever

and then he picked up the chair

and then swatted the chair already in the ring with the chair he grabbed

and then he put his chair down and shaved his own head

:allears:

This sounds awesome, is this on NJPW world anywhere?

Edit: I should have just googled before asking. Looks like it was at WK just a few years ago. Nice.
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00462_05

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 21, 2019

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That Wrestle Kingdom also had this great image:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Without looking I'd bet it's Lawler he's been in the ring with all sorts of old guys from that area.

The thing to keep in mind about the arm bar is they were really proud of this angle. They played the full angle week after week on SSW TV, sometimes multiple times per show. We must've watched it 50 times when we watched SSW TV.

You watched SSW weekly? But at what expense?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
does a good ernest miller match exist?