Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TRADE MADNESS
Mexico City sends
1905 Ty Cobb
1903 Addie Joss

The Burns Zephyrs send
1915 Ed Walsh
1927 Tris Speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

rabidsquid posted:

TRADE MADNESS
Mexico City sends
1905 Ty Cobb
1903 Addie Joss

The Burns Zephyrs send
1915 Ed Walsh
1927 Tris Speaker

AGREED

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Put Tris Speaker in for Cobb
Put Ed Walsh in for Joss

Set Ed Walsh to next starter

edit: i forgot this week was already simmed lets wait and see what day the rotation is at.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 20, 2019

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cobb in for Speaker
Joss to the minors for now, that may change (sorry)

kensei fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 20, 2019

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Happy birthday Smasher. Thanks for all the hard work and years of entertainment.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Pitching... broken. But we'll keep the faith.

Rotation
SP1 Rube Waddell
SP2 Eddie Plank
SP3 Paul Derringer
SP4 Steve Carlton
SP5 Lefty Grove

Lineup
1. CF Ty Cobb
2. 1B Buck Leonard
3. DH Mark McGwire
4. LF Frank Robinson
5. SS The MACHINE
6. 2B Joe Morgan
7. 3B vs RHP Eddie Mathews vs LHP Mike Schimidt
8. C Johnny Bench [PC Steve Carlton Ted Simmons]
9. RF Matt Stairs

Just add one of the surplus position players to the bench and let the next guy slide down to LR.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Sub-Par League Injury Report, Week 12

Bismarck E's
Jeff Bagwell (1B) - 22 days

Boston Jagerbombers
Hank Aaron (RF) - 10 days

Cap Ferrat Gumshoes
Alex Wood (SP) - 303 days
Wilson Ramos (C) - 17 days

Detroit Vipers
Mickey Cochrane (C) - 34 days
Jack Morris (SP) - 13 days

Dresden Survivors
Albert Pujols (1B) - 5 days

Everett Eagles
Larry Walker (RF) - 162 days

Grim Indictment
Harry Heilmann (RF) - 191 days
Wade Boggs (3B) - 32 days

Milan Mosquitoes
Ed Walsh (SP) - 58 days

Nethyr Zephyrs
Goose Goslin (LF) - 224 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
John Franco (RP) - 18 days

Paleto Pilots
Tony Gywnn (RF) - 14 days
Bret Saberhagen (SP) - 11 days
Jack Powell (SP) - 14 days

South Dakota Marmosets
George Gibson (C) - 157 days

W.E.B. Dat Bois
Joe Torre (C) - 89 days

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

CVE posted:

Happy birthday Smasher. Thanks for all the hard work and years of entertainment.

I'd like to echo this. Happy Birthday Smasher, I apologize for it being slightly late! The Super League is what I credit most with me learning more about baseball, baseball history, and generally engaging with more than the frontpage of SomethingAwful. I appreciate all the hard work you have put in over the years and for your invention of the Jim Beam/Dr. Pepper hybrid drink.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncySiTOMAHc

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
I guess 2004 Pedro is as close as we're going to get to our parameters, and we could hardly do that first overall.

Pitching:
Send down Verlander, Price, Kenny Giles and Tony Watson. Pedro in for Verlander, Nola up and in for Price, Melancon replaces Giles, Will Smith replaces Watson.

Position:
Send down Seager and Bregman, call up Kinsler and Jose Ramirez. Miggy starts at 3B, Kinsler starts at 2B.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXVII, Week 12: The Worst Birthday

Stuff posted:

"Okay, this is not a great situation." kw0134 said, standing in Deadford's grand hall. "We don't have the MACHINE, and then there's this-" kw0134 showing off the post from the off-season to Deadford. "cbx is asking for haikus about Bruzer."

"It could be coincidence." Deadford said. "I've found in my times that the universe is full of wonderful coincidences."

"Great. But let's err on the side of not being destroyed by Bruzer." kw0134 said.

Harlock scuttled into the room along the ceiling. "Hey, guys, what's going on?"

"Have you seen CraigK?" Deadford asked. "We need the MACHINE, and it was last seen in his possession."

"I did see him." Harlock said, after a beat of hesitation. "Yes, I can definitely say that."

"That is an ominous way of putting it." kw0134 said. "Where is he?"

"His husk is still in the dungeon." Harlock said.

"His husk?" kw0134 asked.

"Well, when you drain a body of its fluids..." Harlock said.

kw0134 to a moment to reflect on that comment. "He's not alive, then."

"Not in the traditional sense." Harlock said. "Or in the non-traditional sense. Or really any sense. I mean, the only way he's coming back is if you get access to time circuits."

"What? Time circuits? Okay, I don't care." kw0134 said. "It feels like, every season, there's some new threat to the Super-League's existence. It's like this entire place is trying to will itself to death."

"Who's to say it isn't?" Deadford asked. "Is it not the nature of life to will itself to death?"

"No, that's not-." kw0134 looked at Deadford. "Anyway, whether or not that's true, I am not about to let the Super-League die. At least, not until I win the Super-League Championship."

"So, never, then?" Harlock asked.

kw0134 looked up at the giant spider. "What was that?"

"It's just that, you've been around forever, and, has your team every even won a playoff series?" Harlock asked. "I'm not trying to be mean, but, it's just that, even under standard cosmological models, at some point in the far future, entropy will finally lead to energy being perfectly evenly dispersed across the universe, destroying all meaning of time and space, given that such constructions are meaningless in a universe of perfectly equally distributed substance, where no change is possible as a result. As a result, while the time may exist for an incredibly long time, it will not last forever, and, even given the unfathomably long period of time left in the universe, it seems unlikely that, even in that timespan, your team would be able to win the Super-League."

"First of all, my team is doing great this season, and I think we're the favorites to win the league, or at least get pretty far in the playoffs-" kw0134 snapped.

"What about the RCMP?" Harlock asked.

"Oh, you mean the unstoppable force that has won something like one title in ten seasons?" kw0134 tried to back on track, "In any event, I would also like to continue to exist." kw0134 said. "And yes, I know that, in the upper world, there is a real kw0134 that I'm supposedly some sort of emanation of, in some way, and that's great for that kw0134, but this incarnation of me only exists in this universe, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let Bruzer take me down."

"But how do we stop him?" Deadford asked. "The MACHINE was the perfect hunter-killer, able to mercilessly destroy any enemy that entered into its path. Where else will we find someone with that much killing ability?"

They all looked at each other, coming to the same realization. "She'll help us." kw0134 said, grimly realizing what had to be done. "Not to help us, exactly, but because killing is what she does. But whichever one of us is the one to ask her-" kw0134 felt the weight of the words. "We can save the league, but one of us must die."

"Pander!" HulkaMatt said, standing on CFBalla's shoulder and pointing his foreleg at the Panderers' owner, "We're on to your schemes!"

Pander stared at HulkaMatt, and then at CFBalla. "Why is a talking hamster yelling at me?"

"The hamster is HulkaMatt. I'm still not entirely clear if he was always secretly a hamster, or if he was turned into a hamster, or what is happening. I feel like I've lost control of my life." CFBalla said.

"While I myself have never lost control of my life, being self-possessed and competent, I have heard that is not an uncommon feeling for those less equipped to succeed." Pander said. "I'm truly sorry you are among them."

"Thanks?" CFBalla said, being too tired to fight about it.

"Don't try to trick us with your wily wiles, Pander, we're on to your schemes! You've been trying to destroy my mind, manipulate the laws of time and space, and, worst of all, editing the colors of the Super-Draft Spreadsheet." HulkaMatt said, being as intimidating as a hamster could be.

"What is he talking about?" Pander asked. "No, really, what are you talking about? Why would I be doing any of those things?"

"Don't try and confuse us with your smooth talking!" HulkaMatt said. "Your evil plot ends here and now!" HulkaMatt leapt off CFBalla's shoulder and dove into Pander's shin. "Have at you!" HulkaMatt said, scratching futiley at Pander's pantleg.

Pander looked down and sighed. "Please stop that, you'll damage my suit."

"I promise you, villain, I will damage a lot more than your suit!" HulkaMatt said, as he tried to climb up Pander's pantleg, only to slide off. "Mamma Mia! These pants are made of some unclimbable fabric! Nevertheless, I shall prevail!"

Pander shook his leg, causing HulkaMatt to slip off, only for HulkaMatt to redouble his efforts. "Balla, you must help me! I can almost remember what Pander did! He erased something! Someone?"

"I don't know." CFBalla said. "There are days when I feel very tired."

"Be that as it may." Pander said, as HulkaMatt climbed up onto a table, and then leapt from there onto Pander's belt, continuing to ineffectively scratch at him, "Even by HulkaMatt standards, this is a little much."

"HulkaMatt, okay, stop." CFBalla said.

"But he's evil!" HulkaMatt protested.

CFBalla, shaking his head, walked over and carefully removed HulkaMatt from Pander's belt. "HulkaMatt, we've been friends for a long time in Super-League years, right?"

"Yeah." HulkaMatt said. "But I had another friend, we won the tag team titles-" HulkaMatt said, trying desperately to remember something, something important, some memory that had been taken from him.

"HulkaMatt, this isn't good." CFBalla said, "I don't know what we're even doing here."

"No! I have it!" HulkaMatt protested. "I'm the tag team champion, right?"

"Yeah. You won the titles." CFBalla pet HulkaMatt on the head to calm him down.

"Balla, who was my tag team partner?" HulkaMatt asked.

CFBalla looked at HulkaMatt before looked up in horror. "I can't remember. It wasn't me, I was teaming with the W's."

"But who was it? I had to have a partner, and I can't remember who it was, and everytime I try and remember, my head hurts!" HulkaMatt said, a small trickle of blood beginning to drip from his nose.

"Whoa, that's not good." CFBalla said, as HulkaMatt began to seize. "HulkaMatt?"

"He's a hamster. You can buy a new one." Pander said.

"Even by your standards, that's mean." CFBalla said. "I'm going to take him to the vet, or something." CFBalla left, cradling HulkaMatt in his arms.

Pander sighed, and then opening the closet where another Pander sat, bound in chains, with his mouth sealed shut with thread. "I know what you're thinking. Literally, actually." Pander said, kneeling down to look himself in the eye. "But I assure you, this conversation happened exactly the way it needed to." Pander touched the thread. "Don't worry, I'll take out the stitching before I go, and it won't even leave a scar, I promise." Pander gestured towards his own face.

"Now, I know that you probably have a lot of questions about why I'm here, how I'm here, who I am, because I could not possibly be who I appear to be, and I would love nothing more than to tell you the answers to all of these questions, to explain everything, I truly would."

Pander took a step back away from the closet, back into Pander's office, "Poor HulkaMatt, he was almost able to pull it together before his brain gave out."

"Yaya was a problem." Pander looked around the room nervously, he had already been there long enough to attract attention. "But not the biggest problem." Pander looked back at his past self. "You'll need to take this." Pander said, taking a scuffed baseball from his pocket. "You're smart. You're the smartest, you'll know when to use it." Pander took out a knife and cut the bonds holding the past Pander. "The stitches in your mouth will break down in a day or two. JR Leap will appreciate the silence while it lasts." Pander put the ball in his past self's hands. "I will not sit idly by and let end times come without a fight. The First Owners will take this league from me over my dead body." Pander closed the door to the closet.

kw0134 and DannoMack suddenly materialized in the office. "See, I told you that CirclMastr had viable time circuits!" DannoMack said.

kw0134 looked at the partially dismembered body of CirclMastr. "Even still, was that necessary?"

"CirclMastr would have wanted it this way." DannoMack said, before noticing Pander. "Just as I thought, trying to escape to the past to alter history, typical."

"I wasn't aware that the RCMP had jurisdiction over time-related crimes." Pander said.

"Of course we do, the Journeyman Project games were made in Canada and-" DannoMack was cut off by kw0134.

"Enough of that." kw0134 said. "Listen, I get that, after what's been happening in Super-League XXVIII, you wanted to come back in time and change things so that the incident would not occur. I'm actually kind of amazed that you're actually capable of feeling guilt at all."

"It's not guilt, I did nothing wrong, what happened was not my fault." Pander said.

"Trapping HulkaMatt's soul in a hamster's body was wrong!" kw0134 said. "And then you made him disappear. And now you've come back in time to do something and we're not going to let that happen."

Pander smiled. "I have no regrets as to what happened to Yaya. Everything I've done was necessary."

"Who's Yaya?" DannoMack asked.

Games of the Week

Oh, wait, the Misanthropes lost the titles.

The Generics retained anyway.

In fairness, I assumed the Propane Sellers would be basically dead meat in the Sic Transit Vir Division, meaning that while the Mad Titans weren't apt to beat the RCMP, or even the Warriors, most likely, I thought they'd get third place. That may not happen.

Makes you think.

Sense of Right is a fine team and all, but I still don't like gimmick stadiums. It's a personal preference more than anything else. Still, as it's just a matter of taste, and I haven't banned them, Armitage is free to make use of them.

But for Clayton Kershaw, the Panderers would be in a lot more trouble.

Team Statistics

Standings

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I'd just like to say three things:

1. Just you guys watch out! Our bats will probably get hot at some point soon. Probably.

2. I'm nowhere near the philosopher Smasher writes me to be (Happy Birthday and thanks, by the way)

3. Can we play the Panderers every series?

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Guess I have to take the younger version. The Everett Eagles select 1984 Wade Boggs with the 9th pick. He will replace Stan Hack in the lineup and on the 25-man roster.

Pash is now on the clock.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Yaya posted:

For the time being I am offering 1906 Eddie Collins and Pick #36 in the draft for the current pick until stated otherwise.

1906 Collins won't be delivered until the Gauntlet/next season, due to the interleague trading

Well, both Prime Boggs are gone so this is no longer on the table.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Intradivision trades? Scandalous!

Khartoum Doom trades
Jud Wilson

Mexico City Mexicutioners trade
Melissa Mayeux

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ice To Meet You posted:

Intradivision trades? Scandalous!

Khartoum Doom trades
Jud Wilson

Mexico City Mexicutioners trade
Melissa Mayeux

accepted!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Replace Ty Cobb with Tris Speaker
Replace Melissa Mayeux with Alex Rodriguez

Ed Walsh to SP2, set Ed Walsh to next starter

Jud Wilson to the minors

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Yaya posted:

Well, both Prime Boggs are gone so this is no longer on the table.

You want a Brett?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

kensei posted:

You want a Brett?

...Not sure. Doesn't fit the bill for the Warriors quite like Boggs does but also a George Brett is a George Brett.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am now taking any future offers on destroying very old Tris Speaker but i more than intend to use him so they'd better be some pretty real offers.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Roster moves

Mize to the DL

Edgar Martinez becomes 3B in all lineups, replacing Bryant
Musial moves to 1B
Ken Williams becomes CF in all lineups , taking Mizes spot in the order

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

All right, fine, I'll put some guys who can field in.

Lineup vs R, DH:

CF Joe DiMaggio
LF Mel Ott
RF Willie Mays
DH Ted Williams
C Joe Mauer
3B Bill Madlock
1B Cecil Cooper
SS Alan Trammell
2B Lou Whitaker

Lineup vs L, DH:

LF Rickey Henderson
CF Joe DiMaggio
RF Willie Mays
DH Ted Williams
1B Jimmie Foxx
3B Bill Madlock
SS Alan Trammell
C Roy Campanella
2B Bobby Grich

Bench:
Mauer/Campanella platoon
Cooper/Foxx platoon
Whitaker/Grich platoon
Ott/Henderson platoon
Bob Elliott

Bullpen:

CL Jonathan Papelsmith
SU Bryan Harsmith
SR Lee Smith
SR Dave Smith
MR Bryn Smith
LR Sherry Smith

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
MAKE TAG TEAMS! POST TAG TEAM ROSTERS! THE TAG TEAM BREAK IS NIGH!

Super-League XXVII, Week 13 Injury Report

Kobe Crows
Mike Trout (OF) (Minors problems) - 29 days

Krakow Dragons
Doug Jones (RP) (Moonblast is super-effective against dragons!) - 15 days
Harry Heilmann (OF) (Also weak to fairy-type moves) - 29 days

Rochester Generics
Harmon Killebrew (1B) (BROKE!) - 97 days

SanSan Outlaws
Carl Mays (SP) (I have not yet had my fill of Outlaws-related injuries!) - 13 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Steve Carlton (SP) (Immolated self to protest mentholmoose's mismanagement) - 13 days

Pick 'em: A Vote of No Confidence

UNIFICATION SERIES!
RCMP unify vs. both retain vs. @ Generics unify

Omni-Titles (Special Stipulation: If Pander loses, I make fun of him for all time!)
Kobe Crows @ Portland Panderers (c)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick 'em: A Vote of No Confidence

UNIFICATION SERIES!
RCMP unify vs. both retain vs. @ Generics unify

Omni-Titles (Special Stipulation: If Pander loses, I make fun of him for all time!)
Kobe Crows @ Portland Panderers (c)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Crows win RCMP unify

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Everyone retains

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain.

Clown Fundamentals
Mar 18, 2018

President and GM of YOUR Camden Buzzsaw
Both retain and Kobe

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Champs retain

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Police
Panderers

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

all the loving champs loving retain

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pick'Em: Champs retain.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sub-Par League XV, Week 12: The Evil Face That Twists My Mind And Brings Me To Despair

A Very Generic Writer posted:

From the Simarilacraft, the legendarium of the Under-League...
Of Irritating Critters

The Zephyrs are small, flighty, intensely annoying to combat, and for this reason they have held dominion in their division for long any has known in the Fifteenth Age. Arrogantly they strode the Under-League and it was with this bluster they flew into Spiral Mountain to confront the woeful Breegulls.

"In this land you must rhyme!"
"This is such a waste of time."
The Zephyrs immediately slapped their hands on their mouths because that was horse-pateoie.
"No you can't say anything screwy!"
"Are you freaking kidding me."
"Have to get an 'E' from the ESRB!"

And while the Zephyrs raged at the need to turn in their lineup card in the form of a limerick, the Breegulls snuck the first game away from them.

"fine. this is fine," said the Zephyrs in their inimitable speech. "nothing wrong with dropping a game to the basement-dwellers, it happens all the time in baseball"

"Knock-knock!"
"sh-oot. who's there."
"Someone without any care!"
"ugggggggggggggh go away"
"No! No! We've come to play!"
"do we have to do this"
"It's not a thing to miss!"
"how about i whack you in the kisser"
"Sure but you have to catch Mike Pizza!"

"...f me."

It was then that the Zephyrs found a counter for the Breegull's stratagems. If they could not counter their rhyming, or their trickster nature, or their ability to turn rational thought into meaningless gibberish, it was discovered that the they were, indeed, vulnerable to nine very angry faerie dragons wielding bats. Still, the Breegulls had the last laugh.

"Jokes on you!"
"and i hate you too"
"We actually didn't need to rhyme since we've officially abandoned the gimmick several seasons ago, but inertia from made it quite fun. Tootaloo!"

The screams of a certain Arkansan was said to echo through the hills, and can be heard in the right wind, to this very day.

Team Statistics

Standings

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hi I think CirclMastr's team and the W's are going to team up, to use some sort of triple Ruth abomination.

Also the Bombers are looking for a tag team partner as well. I can probably bring an OF/C of Gwynn/Speaker/Jackson/Piazza and a rotation with Ed Walsh and Joe Wood!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Krakow Dragons
Doug Jones (RP) (Moonblast is super-effective against dragons!) - 15 days
Harry Heilmann (OF) (Also weak to fairy-type moves) - 29 days

This keeps happening. Honestly. I don't see why I should be blamed for the whims of the simulation.

Line-up changes

Bruce Sutter replaces Doug Jones because he was pitching like poo poo as well as being hurt
Heinie Manush replaces Harry Heilmann and plays LF, hitting in Heilmann's spot
Berkman plays RF versus RHP and DH versus LHP, no changes to his spot in the batting order

EDIT: We are also looking for a tag-team buddy.

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 21, 2019

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Yeah sure Champs Retain

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

no titles change hands

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Champs Retain

-Albert Pujols to bench, Harvey Kuenn to minors

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Eddie Cicotte to SP2, Stan Coveleski to LR, Bob Feller to MR, Red Faber to minors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RCMP unify
Panderers