Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Arkham Origins was one of the most broken games I'd ever played at launch and that's saying a lot

I'm almost 100% positive you're confusing Origins and Knight here. Arkham Knight was the one that was so broken it had to be removed from retailers and was still pretty broken for awhile after they supposedly fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regrettable posted:

I'm almost 100% positive you're confusing Origins and Knight here. Arkham Knight was the one that was so broken it had to be removed from retailers and was still pretty broken for awhile after they supposedly fixed it.

Which is the one about Batman starting out and fighting Bane, that one

Levels just stopped loading after a while so I got to fight Firefly on a grey texture

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Levels just stopped loading after a while so I got to fight Firefly on a grey texture

Well, looks like I was wrong. That sounds like the bug where it would only load the lowest quality LoD textures. If so, it was pretty simple to fix. Arkham Knight, on the other hand, was completely unplayable at launch because of constant stuttering and freezing and continued to have some issues with stuttering and freezing even after they supposedly fixed it. It does run much better now, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

aba posted:

I think that Origins has the best take on the Batman as the world's greatest detective. In all the others he's just another protagonist punching his way through.

Agreed.

RBA Starblade posted:

Arkham Origins was one of the most broken games I'd ever played at launch and that's saying a lot

RBA Starblade posted:

I played it maybe 3 or 4 months after launch and never had any technical issues other than sometimes the Executioner gloves would continue to electrocute guys after you knocked them out so their bodies would just flail around on the ground repeatedly.

As far as I'm concerned, that actually made the game better.

Also the Deathstroke fight was great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think Origins did stealth and story better than City, and I liked the new enemy types. Origins' biggest problem is that they mucked up the melee combat. Though the shock gloves end up alleviating that and also everything else in the game because they're kinda overpowered.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

If this includes Origins or Blackgate, be aware that:

Arkham Origins was handled by a third party devteam who a) didn't know the tools well and b) had horrible mandated reworking of their entire game and c) were apparently pretty incompetent, so the game is much rougher with severe design oversights. Check the beforeiplay page for that one.

Arkham Blackgate is a barely functional PC port of a PSP game that was garbage even by the standards of the PSP.

The other Arkham games aren't flawless, but they're very well-made and influential design-wise, especially the first two.

... they were assassins creed clones, my gamer.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Asylum is one of the best Metroidvanias of that generation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

That would be a real trick considering all of one Assassin's Creed (which itself was a pretty different beasts from the later ones) came out before Arkham Asylum did and AC started ripping off AA not long afterwards.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I think you'll find that both were just Jak 2 clones.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Larry Parrish posted:

I love you man but you're dead wrong lol. The games got better in some ways and worse in others as the series went on but if you've never played Asylum you should, it feels like more of a Metroid Prime game than it does Assassin's Creed. And while the combat system has been beaten to death in a ton of games now it was pretty cool at the time

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had never heard of a metroidvania when I played it, but asylum is a metroidvania.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

I love you man but you're dead wrong lol. The games got better in some ways and worse in others as the series went on but if you've never played Asylum you should, it feels like more of a Metroid Prime game than it does Assassin's Creed. And while the combat system has been beaten to death in a ton of games now it was pretty cool at the time

look maybe I'm wrong but all I know is I played an hour or two of asylum and while it felt a lot less bootleg than an ubisoft games iconic half finished garbage style, the sub witcher 3 tier combat and the collectibles were unforgivable. i dunno I didn't play it till like 2015.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol arkham combat is not worse than witcher 3

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Arkham Asylum feels like a game designed from start to finish. Arkham City and Assassin Creed games feels like they created an open world first that was then sprinkled with content.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

look maybe I'm wrong but all I know is I played an hour or two of asylum and while it felt a lot less bootleg than an ubisoft games iconic half finished garbage style, the sub witcher 3 tier combat and the collectibles were unforgivable. i dunno I didn't play it till like 2015.

what the hell are you smoking

Mierenneuker posted:

Arkham Asylum feels like a game designed from start to finish. Arkham City and Assassin Creed games feels like they created an open world first that was then sprinkled with content.

Yeah going from a tightly designed metroidvania into an empty boring open world was a terrible direction for the series

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Larry Parrish posted:

did you just stand around waiting until the enemy attacked and then hit the counter button? nah man you gotta take it to them, build up the combo use the gadgets. You're Batman, it's not about winning, it's about doing it with style

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I got the rare urge to play some real videogame rear end video games and installed Arkham Knight. It started out real strong, especially with the intro that holds frame on the face of a corpse for several minutes, real avant garde arthouse poo poo. I was too busy contemplating my mortality while staring into the abyss to realize I was supposed to mash some buttons. Then it turned into an FPS. Then it turned into a bloated collectathon but it was fun for a bit at least. I don't play AAA games very often so the spectacle's not lost on me, it's just incredibly unfocused and the game keeps trying to derail me onto new quests when I'm in the middle of another one.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The best batman game is the LOTR one

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still maintain the next batman needs to rip off the nemesis system

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

did you just stand around waiting until the enemy attacked and then hit the counter button? nah man you gotta take it to them, build up the combo use the gadgets. You're Batman, it's not about winning, it's about doing it with style

It's about leaving people with permanent, crippling disabilities.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

dogstile posted:

Batman with some random mook turning into a villain after your over the top bone breaking attacks would be so very very good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Keep a "medical expenses" stat like Alpha Protocol does. Make Bruce pay every bill.

Or, maybe make the nearest hospital increasingly hostile as the injured pile up, then it starts running low on supplies, and nurses and doctors go out to lead ex-patients on looting missions.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Everyone knows Bruce Wayne only put on the batsuit because his medical supply company was in the red for 3 years in a row

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What would be the name of the physical therapist who is horrifically traumatized by all the Batman related injuries they have to deal with and then becomes Batman's new enemy?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

quote:

Miyamoto communicated with Rare via fax during the final stages of GoldenEye 007 development[...]he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I agree

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cojawfee posted:

What would be the name of the physical therapist who is horrifically traumatized by all the Batman related injuries they have to deal with and then becomes Batman's new enemy?

Blunt Force

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

FFT posted:

Blunt Force

Because of all the medicinal marijuana?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

THE BAR posted:

Because of all the medicinal marijuana?

:hmmyes:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There better be a Batman story arc where Big Alcohol tricks Batman into destroying a successful marijuana legalization campaign that would also end the carceral state

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Epics Batman giveaway has been expanded - originally it only included the basic version of Arkham Knight, but now they're including the full season pass as well. People who already claimed it should get the DLCs automatically.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

dogstile posted:

This but with Mad Max. It would be perfect, have them start modding their vehicles specifically in response to how you kicked their rear end, as well as the scars and phobias and whatnot.

Just endless wasteland nemesis vehicle combat with lots of explosions and dudes in weird bondage poo poo. It would be glorious. :black101:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

So I beat Arkham Asylum last night and moved on to Arkham Knight.

It looks better, there are definite QoL improvements (like being able to grapple while gliding), and having other characters to play is an upgrade.

But it does feel a bit aimless, oddly. And I'm still not a huge fan of the combo mechanic though it's satisfying when it works. "Oh, you missed for no reason? Start over." "Oh, the game didn't register you were going for a ground takedown? lol aim with your batarang, start over." To be fair, this was an issue in Asylum as well and I'm not sure there's a good solution on keyboard-adapted-from-console-gameplay.

Going to have another go at it while more sober.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

So I beat Arkham Asylum last night and moved on to Arkham Knight.

It looks better, there are definite QoL improvements (like being able to grapple while gliding), and having other characters to play is an upgrade.

But it does feel a bit aimless, oddly. And I'm still not a huge fan of the combo mechanic though it's satisfying when it works. "Oh, you missed for no reason? Start over." "Oh, the game didn't register you were going for a ground takedown? lol aim with your batarang, start over." To be fair, this was an issue in Asylum as well and I'm not sure there's a good solution on keyboard-adapted-from-console-gameplay.

Going to have another go at it while more sober.

You should play City before Knight.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, City is the sequel to Asylum and the best game in the series imo. Knight is the sequel to City.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wouldn't recommend playing all of those in a row, might as well pick one or two and run with it. City is perfectly skippable in favor of Origins or Knight.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think origins does a lot of things better than city but if i had to choose between them itd be city

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

You should play City before Knight.

My mistake, I did mean City.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
even if city was a direct copy paste with no QoL it would be better if for no other reason than the collectibles are less obnoxious. asylum had that really weird duality where you wanted to get the collectibles, especially riddler trophies, as early as humanly possible because the XP was super helpful, especially if you were playing on Hard. however, it was never exactly clear what precisely you needed to get a specific trophy, or if you were just bad at the game and missing the jump or whatever.

in City you could arrive on the scene and see one of those moronic rube goldberg machines that Riddler sets up and immediately be like "oh, ok, i need some upgrade for this" and peace out without wasting five minutes trying some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was really annoying in Asylum just barely missing a jump I know I need to make only to realize I get some item later that gets me there or some other path opens up.