Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
It would be pretty amusing if in the end Vic has to pay up "an arm and a leg" at the end of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hopefully Beard loses his ability to practice alchemylaw

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There are lots of ugly people with really good morals and opinions. Attacking the low hanging fruit is really lazy.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Gyges posted:

You just pay your lawyer to keep working on your case. It's not a bond hearing or something.

Oh, never mind then, they'll gonna milk him or all he's worth then. Unless actually getting to see how badly his case has been going with his own eyes wakes him up and he kisses rear end in mediation so he can slink off before he loses even more money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fangz posted:

Hopefully Beard loses his ability to practice alchemylaw

I wondered why they were sending not just Beard, but another partner and an associate to the mediation and then I realized that means triple the billable hours. I really wonder when the GFM is going to clash with the actual money Vic is going to have to pay out.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I wondered why they were sending not just Beard, but another partner and an associate to the mediation and then I realized that means triple the billable hours. I really wonder when the GFM is going to clash with the actual money Vic is going to have to pay out.

Wouldn't it be great if Vic learns this answer at the mediation hearing?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's unlikely we'll know what happens at the meeting outside of case dismissed: y/n (or Ty putting all of the notes online), but Vic finding out he's liable for all of the damages is the most likely way their strategy will materially change

e: transcript on the drive, just about to start reading: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12hFOjkbXEdM054f9sA5adKN-hyED_JEA/view

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's unlikely we'll know what happens at the meeting outside of case dismissed: y/n (or Ty putting all of the notes online), but Vic finding out he's liable for all of the damages is the most likely way their strategy will materially change
Vic: Can't we just, like, sue them for the money

Law-guy: *quickly adds a few zeroes to billable hours* why, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

It would be pretty amusing if in the end Vic has to pay up "an arm and a leg" at the end of this.
:perfect:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

as amusing as much of this is, the hosed up thing is that even in the best case scenario for the good guys:

- vic is still filthy rich, so he probably won't care too much about the monetary loss
- his shithead lawyers still wind up getting a pretty sweet payday

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Interweb posted:

as amusing as much of this is, the hosed up thing is that even in the best case scenario for the good guys:

- vic is still filthy rich, so he probably won't care too much about the monetary loss
- his shithead lawyers still wind up getting a pretty sweet payday

I get why people think that rich people just go "ha, who cares if I lose, I'm rich?" But, as an accountant, people tell me all of their financial woes and general life concerns. No really, people open up to me like I'm a therapist or something. Point is, I've dealt with a lot of rich people and, boy howdy, do they love their money and hate having to part with it. Especially when they lose it like this, in some kind of lawsuit that they were convinced was going to vindicate them. Like, maybe Vic won't be inconvenienced financially, but, if he is like the people I've seen, he will stew on this like uncooked steak for years while it eats him up inside.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Being rich is a pathology and makes people think in stupid nonsensical ways. In the same sense that having a billion dollars is good cuz it's a high score even though that amount of money is actually totally worthless, losing money for absolutely any reason drives them insane. No Vic's probably not gonna get poor housed over this but if you think stuff's funny now wait til you see his epic forever meltdown once he loses and has to pay up.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I don't see what either party reasonably puts on the table that the other actually cares about. Ty likely doesn't know he's losing, and thus far the other lawyers in his firm don't seem to have been able to convince him otherwise. The individual (i.e. not funimation) defendants would probably settle for some sort of statement of guilt and admittance of misbehavior from Vic (along with laywer's fees) and I can't see anyone advising Vic to do that. Funimation likely doesn't even care at this point it's probably barely a line item for them, plus their exposure is very small. Vic would likely at minimum get a gag order of some sort, which doesn't seem satisfactory, and likely looks like a "win". Who knows.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 20, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The whole point of the mediator is to sit there and explain to vic and his lawyers how much this is going to cost him if the judge dismisses them. Also, not a tx lawyer, but in my jurisdiction lawyers can and do get personally sanctioned for filing bullshit filings.

Say this case was in FL, 57.105 would apply.
I don’t know if TX law is similar. In FL, Ty would be responsible for half of the sanctions awarded by the judge.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Vic is rich in the sense he can coast through life being a useless piece of poo poo, but he’s not in the “zero consequences for his actions” rich.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Also if the Mercer’s and Koch’s of the world are any indication you never have enough money. If you ain’t on the way up you’re on the way out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Nick's latest 'bombshell' is Sabat dubbing Vegeta over maybe twenty seconds of DBZ footage in a local commercial for a lawyer that was running for judge. Surely Toei will rip the franchise from their hands now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh man, this is unprecedented! Using the characters for commercials? This abuse of the brand will never stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uiho8HLI3A

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Idgi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fullmetal Alchemist

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It may turn profoundly prophetic this will cost him an arm and a leg, is not the result he had in mind, and will have to give up his talent over this.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently Nick's latest 'bombshell' is Sabat dubbing Vegeta over maybe twenty seconds of DBZ footage in a local commercial for a lawyer that was running for judge. Surely Toei will rip the franchise from their hands now.

It's so rich coming from a guy whose client/friend has previously made :

- an unauthorized Fullmetal Alchemist fan film for which he borrowed and nearly damaged company property (Al statue) on false pretenses, and for which he incessantly harassed brand management staff to act on his behalf to get said film included as an Easter egg on official releases until the staff relented and wasted company time asking just so they could be told no officially.
- a fan song in character as Edward Elric for which he got clapped on for selling copies of and cutting an AMV too.
- an unauthorized Star Trek fan series that is an explicit sequel to the original series, and was disowned on Twitter by Shatner for kind of misrepresenting it as official/co-signed.
- an unauthorized Futurama fan film where the main joke was he played Zapp Brannigan with his censored dick out. And wow, what a surprise Vic would play a sex pest.

Vic's ability to get consent for fan works is 0/4 or more, trying to clap on Sabat for it is transparently nonsense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

It may turn profoundly prophetic this will cost him an arm and a leg, is not the result he had in mind, and will have to give up his talent over this.

And also that a decision will be reached by October 3.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Ultraklystron posted:

- an unauthorized Futurama fan film where the main joke was he played Zapp Brannigan with his censored dick out.

Thanks for the mental image :shepicide:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LOL at Vic thinking he's on the level of Billy West.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Ultraklystron posted:

Vic's ability to get consent for fan works is 0/4 or more, trying to clap on Sabat for it is transparently nonsense.

Vic isn't well known for getting consent.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Anora posted:

Vic isn't well known for getting consent.

:golfclap:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
And he probably uses the Edward voice while doing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keltar posted:

And he probably uses the Edward voice while doing it.

Although that's the case for, like everything. He's not like Steve Blum or somebody.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

LOL at Vic thinking he's on the level of Billy West.
This is honestly a good question: Which voice actor is on that level? Like, maybe Frank Welker, who can do equally insane things like inanimate objects or animals noises with insane accuracy?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Mark Hamill?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

This is honestly a good question: Which voice actor is on that level? Like, maybe Frank Welker, who can do equally insane things like inanimate objects or animals noises with insane accuracy?

Is the guy who did Cow and Chicken still around? He was really good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C1L0Qy6Cj0

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Probably Sean, just off voicing Goku.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jim Cumming

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I meant mostly on a technical/dynamic range level kind of thing more than fame. Like the aforementioned Billy West and Frank Welker are out-of-this world great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did not know Ickis, Buster Bunny, and Mr. Bighead were all voiced by the same guy. :stare:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The whole point of the mediator is to sit there and explain to vic and his lawyers how much this is going to cost him if the judge dismisses them. Also, not a tx lawyer, but in my jurisdiction lawyers can and do get personally sanctioned for filing bullshit filings.

Say this case was in FL, 57.105 would apply.
I don’t know if TX law is similar. In FL, Ty would be responsible for half of the sanctions awarded by the judge.

My bet is the judge noted how badly Ty shat the bed and wanted to make 100% sure the guy actually on the hook for the awful performance was fully signed up for the reaming he was about to get (or not for that matter).

Ty is of course not presenting it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Alan Smithee posted:

Also if the Mercer’s and Koch’s of the world are any indication you never have enough money. If you ain’t on the way up you’re on the way out

does running a roleplaying game podcast with a buch of b-tier voice talent really make that much money???