Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Agrikk posted:

To quote Gandalf- and the winner would emerge much stronger and free of doubt.

We argued about that. If the celestialich is beaten down, they would reform at their phylactery. You can't kill it unless destroy the vessel.

If the death knight is beaten down, she reforms at the place she became a death knight. The only way you can kill a death knight for good on Tanicus is if you kill it with the intent of stealing...its...power...

...motherfucker, did we just create a celestialich death knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"it's an undead, undead, undead, also I'm not sure if angels are alive by the traditional definitions."
"So what does that make our Lich?"
"Confusing?"

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

CobiWann posted:

We argued about that. If the celestialich is beaten down, they would reform at their phylactery. You can't kill it unless destroy the vessel.

If the death knight is beaten down, she reforms at the place she became a death knight. The only way you can kill a death knight for good on Tanicus is if you kill it with the intent of stealing...its...power...

...motherfucker, did we just create a celestialich death knight?

Listen, we all know this ends with the Lich King on top at the end. You just made him stronger.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stop being racist, just because someone has negative energy flowing through their veins instead of positive doesn't make them less valuable.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Tunicate posted:

Stop being racist, just because someone has negative energy flowing through their veins instead of positive doesn't make them less valuable.

But does it make them less good?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Of course not. Unfortunately, paladins use 'detect evil', which registers on creatures which are evil OR undead. This overreliance upon a faulty tool is very reminiscent of Silicon Valley algorithmic sentencing.

"Negative" energy, of course, was named by the cleric B'njmin Fránklein, and is a bit of a misnomer. It is, in fact, the safest, gentlest, and lest deadly of the elemental energies. Any half-trained sorceror can channel raw negative energy and heal negative lifeforms. On the other hand, positive energy is so difficult to heal with it takes a literal act of divine intervention to do so.

Similarly, virtually all (with a few exceptions) creatures fuelled by positive energy must kill other positive lifeforms merely to survive. No negative entity needs to kill others of its kind to live, and only a very small minority need to kill positive entities.

Even the negative energy plane is safer - negative entities can stay there indefinitely, while positive entities will soon be killed on the positive energy plane. This makes the positive energy plane uniquely deadly; for instance, fire elementals won't die from the plane of elemental fire.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 16, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Listen, we all know this ends with the Lich King on top at the end. You just made him stronger.

Considering my PC in the next campaign will be a Warlock with an Undying patron in the Lich King...

:getin:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tunicate posted:

Of course not. Unfortunately, paladins use 'detect evil', which registers on creatures which are evil OR undead. This overreliance upon a faulty tool is very reminiscent of Silicon Valley algorithmic sentencing.

"Negative" energy, of course, was named by the cleric B'njmin Fránklein, and is a bit of a misnomer. It is, in fact, the safest, gentlest, and lest deadly of the elemental energies. Any half-trained sorceror can channel raw negative energy and heal negative lifeforms. On the other hand, positive energy is so difficult to heal with it takes a literal act of divine intervention to do so.

Similarly, virtually all (with a few exceptions) creatures fuelled by positive energy must kill other positive lifeforms merely to survive. No negative entity needs to kill others of its kind to live, and only a very small minority need to kill positive entities.

Even the negative energy plane is safer - negative entities can stay there indefinitely, while positive entities will soon be killed on the positive energy plane. This makes the positive energy plane uniquely deadly; for instance, fire elementals won't die from the plane of elemental fire.

I love it when gaming geeks spend time to theorize on random topics like this. Everyone wins.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

CobiWann posted:

So yeah, we pretty much set one evil against another evil for the throne of the bigger evil.

Or they meet, decide they actually have a lot in common and team up to kill everybody else.

Not that I have much room to comment on potentially terrible decisions. My game's been set around our nation getting somehow transported to another land and our efforts to explore/survive all the nasty crap and evil nations around us. Out group was out exploring a plains area and found a bunch of local herders who were being kept as slaves/food by some ogre magi and their ogre clan and apparently also being targeted by "evil spirits" that would drain the life out of their men leaving withered corpses around. We managed to defeat the ogres despite them having some sort of extremely powerful magic horn that could charm the people who heard it, but despite looking around we couldn't locate any "evil spirits". So between that and the fact the herders had zero ability to defend themselves since only the young were left we persuaded them to follow us back to our nation for their own safety (and we had a spot they could herd in peace). Unfortunately last night's game had a mysteriously withered corpse pop up in our capital, and since we left most of the herders elsewhere while we dragged the nasty horn to our king to deal with, we realized we had two likely suspects if we had a vampire or similar (there are throat bite marks, but apparently there's also some kind of poison and the victims look aged to death). One was the leader of the herders, who the head queen took a shine to and invited to become a handmaiden taking care of the royal children, and the other was the mysteriously amnesiac missing hero and former friend of our king in his adventuring days who the king has taken personal interest in helping. So odds are pretty good we just delivered some kind of vampire right into the intimate heart of our royal family. Go us! :doh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Von Linus posted:

I had a game night the other day. It was a noble idea, I've no experience but I'd read the instructions cover to cover and picked the easiest things I could see to pick up and play. I invited the neighbours round.

The first game was Skull, which people were a bit nonplussed by initially. They'd never been exposed to anything other than monopoly or poker. But we played a couple of hands and it went well. We moved onto Codenames, which again, took a little bit of grappling with, but we got there. Then someone in the group was demanding secret hitler. However, people were having beers by that point, and there were committed antifascists in the group, who didn't really follow the rules, so while a liberal, during the bit where the fascists are supposed to reveal themselves to each other, opened his eyes to see who the fascists were, and then loudly told everyone. Then we tried again, and I was one fascist, and he was the other. Everything I did he stymied, he wasn't playing as a fascist at all. He stopped play to ask what fascist policies exactly he was supposed to be voting on.

We stopped then and played Dixit which was at least less controversial but my gently caress I was annoyed.

lmao, good. gently caress the fascists!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Von Linus posted:

Then someone in the group was demanding secret hitler. However, people were having beers by that point, and there were committed antifascists in the group, who didn't really follow the rules, so while a liberal, during the bit where the fascists are supposed to reveal themselves to each other, opened his eyes to see who the fascists were, and then loudly told everyone. Then we tried again, and I was one fascist, and he was the other. Everything I did he stymied, he wasn't playing as a fascist at all. He stopped play to ask what fascist policies exactly he was supposed to be voting on.

We stopped then and played Dixit which was at least less controversial but my gently caress I was annoyed.

I don't know what you expected.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Last night in Betrayal Legacy a 225-year-old woman* continued her streak as the strongest physical combatant the house has ever seen. She has the most kills of both humans and monsters, is the longest owner of the house, and is willing to gently caress poo poo up with her bare hands. Hell Says: You Don't gently caress With Sarah Christian Svensson.

*She got to be 225 by making a deal with the devil. The deal was "If you don't come to drag my soul out of my body, I won't kick you in the testacles any more." So far, the devil has respected the deal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Have you posted about her before? Because a badass old woman who kicks the devil in the balls sounds familiar.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The Travelling Hut

Summer is moving into Autumn as we depart the City of Thalos. It is strange experience to dodge and do battle with undead in order to win our way to the East Gate, only to see wild plains and unmolested farmlands as far as the eye can see once we pass under the archway.

We steer our mounts to the northeast and ride towards the Barrier Peaks under a clear blue sky. It feels good to be outdoors and breathing air that hasn’t been inhaled by countless scores of other men and beasts and travelling on horseback is a new experience for everyone except Severance who gives riding lessons to the rest of us along the way.

Twice per day we stop to drop the scarab and get our bearings but travel through the countryside is easy. I am reminded of my first journey down here and am reminded how very sparsely populated is the area around Thalos. We travel for several days until we get to a large forest which, according to the Overlord, marks the boundary of this Earthnode. Within should be Jenny Greenteeth and her Hut.

We enter the woods and it is eerily quiet and I am struck with a solid force of will that clearly indicates that I Am Not Wanted Here. The others do not notice when I bring it up and whatever I am feeling we have a quest to accomplish so we push on, but I am uneasy the entire time I am in these woods.

No birds chatter in the trees and no unseen critters scamper though the underbrush and camp that night is even worse. Aside from the wind in the leaves, there is no motion except the leaves fluttering, no sound except for the wind, no chatter of animal life. Snakeeyes and I search and we can find the remnants of game trails all leading away from a certain spot in the woods, so we dismount and lead our horses deeper into the woods.

After several days of following old trails, we come across a clearing one evening and at the center of this clearing is a tiny windowless log cabin, hexagonal in shape, with a decorated wooden roof. There is a faint wisp of smoke emanating from a small chimney. Surrounding the hut delineating a space maybe thirty feet in diameter is a picket fence of sharp stakes, each about five feet tall with a human, humanoid or demihuman skull resting on the spike. Between two of the stakes is a small gate of lashed together bones.

The air here is close and foreboding and absolutely still.

With a shrug of studied nonchalance, Snakeeyes walks over to the gate and opens it. It opens with a horrific squeal of rusted hinges but nothing more so we walk through the gate up to the hut. It is a plain log cabin with a small smoking chimney on the roof, and walking around it reveals no windows or door or entrances of any kind. Closer inspection reveals that every square inch of its surface is covered with tiny runes carved into its surface.

“So now what?” says Ospar.

Severance approaches with a smirk and calls out, “Little hut, little hut, turn yer door t' me!”

Suddenly, on the wall closest to him, the outline of a door appears in a frame made out of humanoid bones and its hinges are made from human hands. A mouth full of sharp teeth appears in the center of the door and admonishes us to act with the proper courtesy while in the Hut and to mind our own business. “Spies and thieves will be eaten,” it adds and then disappears.

I look at Severance. “Any other facts you know about this hut?”

He shakes his head. “Marja an’ I ha’ interestin’ conversations abou’ demonology an’ Jenny Greenteeth. Apparently th’ three o’ ‘em have ha’ run-ins in th’ past an’ don’ ha’ much ta’ do wit’ each other these last centuries past. Marja tol’ me how t’ get th’ attention o’ th’ door, but no more ‘n that.”

“So now what?” repeats Ospar.

“We get the door open somehow,” says Snakeeyes turning to me.

I have no idea what to do but I throw some unlocking spells and some spells to disenchant at the hut and door, with predictable results. Our crack plan is to end up waiting by the hut, ready to prop the door open should it suddenly appear as a ‘guest’ exits.

After a week of excruciating boredom later, filled only by Severance’s riding lessons, the door appears silently one moonless night in a wall at random and a trio of Night Hags emerges from the Hut. It was Snakeeyes’ and my turn at watch from opposite sides of the hut and I am alerted by Snakeeye’s call of alarm and I run across the grass to his side of the hut. I approach to see the door trying to close itself as the mouth snarls and tries to bite Snakeye’s hand that holds the door open while he defends himself with his silvery katana one handed. I rush forward, throwing a telekinesis spell against the door to force it open while calling out to the hags in the language of Abyssal creatures, “Our quarrel is not with you! We seek only entrance to the Hut and an audience with Jenny Greenteeth!”

We received no response except shrieks and screeches as the three hags clawed at Snakeeyes so we tore into them, driving them away from the hut as they turned semi corporeal and fled into the forest. Severance turned to give chase, but Snakeeyes called after him.

“We have the door. Let’s enter!”

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bieeanshee posted:

Have you posted about her before? Because a badass old woman who kicks the devil in the balls sounds familiar.

I did post about her once before, a while ago. That was when she hit a Night Mare with a hammer so hard it went back to hell. We're burning through missions pretty regularly again now that the host's kid is old enough to sleep through the night, and hopefully we can finish the campaign before kid #2 pops out in February.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
This thread got me to start playing D&D, and now it's making me miss it. You bastards.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

chitoryu12 posted:

I still want to run a Star Wars game some day that’s all about a heist gang.

Late as I'm catching up, but check out Scum and Villainy. It's a hack of Blades in the Dark which is a game built around running a crew and stealing/smuggling/etc. Really fantastic rules once you wrap your head around the system, and S&V is the Star Wars/Firefly/Expanse version. Haven't played it myself but BitD itself is awesome.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bieeanshee posted:

I once ran a 13th Age game with a PC whose One Unique Thing was "I nut-punched the Devil - and lived." It was so dumb. I loved it. :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, slitting an Orc's throat and getting the blood in someone else's eyes does not count as casting Color Spray.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, slitting an Orc's throat and getting the blood in someone else's eyes does not count as casting Color Spray.
FEAR MY ARCANE MIGHT

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CobiWann posted:

So Orc blood is colorless? Learn some blood magic and power it with orc blood in a waterskin :science:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I posted this on the CYOA discord and was told I should post it here. So...

After a long chronicle in Vampire: The Masquerade spanning realtime years, several of my group's players were given the option of retiring our existing characters and creating elders using the Elysium rules, representing a rising interest in the city in what were then believed to be the End Times.

Most of us put some serious thought and time into our characters, their place in history, their path through the centuries, and we worked with our DM on plausible reasons for our elders to have arrived in Manchester at this particular juncture.

So did... let's call him X. Now, X could be histrionic and wacky, but could also be a bit of a sensitive fella when it came to criticism or things not going his way. A self-professed, card carrying Discordian, of course he picked Clan Malkavian.
A couple of us had this creeping sense of foreboding because we just knew a classic X jape was coming.

Cue the first session with the arriving elders, who had been smoothly integrated into the city's Kindred population. The Primogen council had convened, and everybody was present and accounted for. Except X's Malkavian elder, "Mr. Whippy."

Cue quite the commotion from outside of the club that the council were convened at, and the immediate announcement that... The Yellow Submarine was outside. Yes. That one. Not an actual submarine, not a large car with a fibreglass body kit. A loving two dimensional, cartoon bright Yellow Submarine, from which this guy was emerging.

:siren: Masquerade Breach :siren:

And X wondered why his character was summarily apprehended, staked, and given the Final Death within the next five minutes. He absolutely flipped his poo poo. Threw his folder across the room, stood up, yelling angrily before storming out for the night. I mean... he just could not wrap his head around it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I can't remember the last time I had a good roleplaying experience. Most of the time, It either gets ruined by: lovely people being lovely and also possibly racist, like demanding my SO kick me out of her game and break up with me because the rest of the party was scared of my blackness want wanted her to stop miscegenating; or I'm having fun but the rest of the party complains about how things are too hard and that it isn't fair that there be a combat encounter that challenges the only combat focused person in the party while they get killed by taking their squishy level 1 wizard into melee so the DM gets fed up and quits midway through the first combat of the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hexenritter posted:

I posted this on the CYOA discord and was told I should post it here. So...

After a long chronicle in Vampire: The Masquerade spanning realtime years, several of my group's players were given the option of retiring our existing characters and creating elders using the Elysium rules, representing a rising interest in the city in what were then believed to be the End Times.

Most of us put some serious thought and time into our characters, their place in history, their path through the centuries, and we worked with our DM on plausible reasons for our elders to have arrived in Manchester at this particular juncture.

So did... let's call him X. Now, X could be histrionic and wacky, but could also be a bit of a sensitive fella when it came to criticism or things not going his way. A self-professed, card carrying Discordian, of course he picked Clan Malkavian.
A couple of us had this creeping sense of foreboding because we just knew a classic X jape was coming.

Cue the first session with the arriving elders, who had been smoothly integrated into the city's Kindred population. The Primogen council had convened, and everybody was present and accounted for. Except X's Malkavian elder, "Mr. Whippy."

Cue quite the commotion from outside of the club that the council were convened at, and the immediate announcement that... The Yellow Submarine was outside. Yes. That one. Not an actual submarine, not a large car with a fibreglass body kit. A loving two dimensional, cartoon bright Yellow Submarine, from which this guy was emerging.

:siren: Masquerade Breach :siren:

And X wondered why his character was summarily apprehended, staked, and given the Final Death within the next five minutes. He absolutely flipped his poo poo. Threw his folder across the room, stood up, yelling angrily before storming out for the night. I mean... he just could not wrap his head around it.

This may reflect poorly on me, but how is it a Masquerade Breach? He looks more like a silly mascot than a vampire, and I can't imagine any regular human seeing that and thinking "blood-drinking undead"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JustJeff88 posted:

This may reflect poorly on me, but how is it a Masquerade Breach? He looks more like a silly mascot than a vampire, and I can't imagine any regular human seeing that and thinking "blood-drinking undead"
It's that he was stepping out of a plainly 2D object while both it and him look extremely cartoony. Just imagine Who Framed Roger Rabbit, except the toons are trying to keep their toon-ness secret.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yawgmoth posted:

It's that he was stepping out of a plainly 2D object while both it and him look extremely cartoony. Just imagine Who Framed Roger Rabbit, except the toons are trying to keep their toon-ness secret.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be specifically about vampires; if it's something that's flagrantly impossible and clearly supernatural that would call attention, that would be enough. Especially if you're a bunch of elders and you have a perfect excuse to permanently remove a rival, while also reaffirming the status quo for any young whippersnappers watching what happens.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My most treasured gaming experience? Has to be the time in college my group played this adventure where the whole party got turned into lycanthropes. It was an actual published adventure, though I can't remember the title and the Game Master made a few original modifications, as you do. Basically, the whole party gets afflicted with lycanthropy, they gotta adapt to it, then they gotta take down the bad guys that cursed them before the next full moon. We were a little late doing the latter, so the GM went easy on us and gave us all a free Wish to get out of the curse if we wanted. Most of us did, but three of the party, myself included, instead used the wish to keep advantages the curse had given us. My ranger character was a Were-Bear, I made it so I would only change at the full moon, when I willed it, or fell to zero hit points in combat (then I got a once per battle full heal and my killers had to fight me as a berserk bear). Our Paladin Were-Tiger changed the lovesick tiger that was following her around into her Celestial Battle Cat Mount. And our Were-Shark Rogue gained the ability to permanently breathe water and survive deep ocean pressures in any form. In exchange, we all had to be animals three nights a month. Fair trade.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Coward posted:

Yeah, it doesn't have to be specifically about vampires; if it's something that's flagrantly impossible and clearly supernatural that would call attention, that would be enough. Especially if you're a bunch of elders and you have a perfect excuse to permanently remove a rival, while also reaffirming the status quo for any young whippersnappers watching what happens.

I kind of glossed over the 2D thing and thought that he dressed up as a lark. Yes, I can see why something 2D that isn't made of light would be considered supernatural.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah we even tried to clarify with him at the time "ok so it's not a costume, you're really going full on 2d cartoon using Obfuscate?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Does anyone have a story of someone playing a Malkavian well? Every time I've ever run into one it's always, always some flavor of chaotic stupid.

In that vein, I'd also love to hear stories of well-played Lawful Good paladins and Chaotic Neutral characters in general.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Agrikk posted:

Does anyone have a story of someone playing a Malkavian well? Every time I've ever run into one it's always, always some flavor of chaotic stupid.

In that vein, I'd also love to hear stories of well-played Lawful Good paladins and Chaotic Neutral characters in general.

I once played a Malkavian who was convinced anyone wearing a hat was perfectly trustworthy as his derangement. Didn't make a big deal of it or tell people, but whenever the ST brought in someone in a hat I trusted them immediately. Wasn't really disruptive, since he was willing to be outvoted on who to trust so just lead to a bit of unpredictability until people figured it out

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kaza42 posted:

I once played a Malkavian who was convinced anyone wearing a hat was perfectly trustworthy as his derangement. Didn't make a big deal of it or tell people, but whenever the ST brought in someone in a hat I trusted them immediately. Wasn't really disruptive, since he was willing to be outvoted on who to trust so just lead to a bit of unpredictability until people figured it out

Once they figured it out did the rest of the party start carrying hats to put on people they felt you should trust, or try to remove them from the heads of people they felt you shouldn't? Because if not they really missed an opportunity.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Agrikk posted:

I played a Malkavian in VtR (base clan was mekhet) who was doing everything in his power to be the most "vampire wizard" ever. Maxed out Dementation of course, but also went real heavy into the OD Coil that lets you pick up mortal supernatural merits so I could grab fun poo poo like electrokinesis and assorted thaumaturgy merits. This led to me spending most of my time in pajama pants and a matching bathrobe with speakers stuffed in the pockets; with electrokinesis I could power them myself and make them play whatever I wanted as loud as I wanted. It was well worth the xp to be able to enter Elysium to the Imperial March, and have in-character fight music as appropriate.

I was very handy to have around because it turns out nothing is a masq breach if those experiencing it also have a psychotic episode at the same time! :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Agrikk posted:

There are two in my current campaign who are going just fine, and our ST has been doing Malkavian NPCs fine too. But then, he works as a support worker for people with mental health difficulties, so. ANd one of them is training to be a psychiatrist, and I think all of us have at least some close personal connections to mental health difficulties, so we're all treating it very sensitively.

One I'm honestly not sure of her compulsion, I think it's probably something to do wtih OCD. The other has the absolutely amazing compulsion that for 10 years after being turned, and still now that we've found a way to suppress it except when it's set off by the usual game mechanical means, he firmly believed he was not a vampire at all, just a spectacularly screwed-up human whose dog loving H A T E D him. He's been one of the most intensely interesting, cool, and genuinely emotionally impactful characters in the campaign thus far and he's only been in about half the sessions, especially as we're dealing with the consequences of this situation for both him and local Kindred society.

I'm sharing stories of this coterie in the current WoD thread if you want to see more.

Not to mention the obvious example of X from LA By Night.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

thespaceinvader posted:

There are two in my current campaign who are going just fine, and our ST has been doing Malkavian NPCs fine too. But then, he works as a support worker for people with mental health difficulties, so. ANd one of them is training to be a psychiatrist, and I think all of us have at least some close personal connections to mental health difficulties, so we're all treating it very sensitively.

One I'm honestly not sure of her compulsion, I think it's probably something to do wtih OCD. The other has the absolutely amazing compulsion that for 10 years after being turned, and still now that we've found a way to suppress it except when it's set off by the usual game mechanical means, he firmly believed he was not a vampire at all, just a spectacularly screwed-up human whose dog loving H A T E D him. He's been one of the most intensely interesting, cool, and genuinely emotionally impactful characters in the campaign thus far and he's only been in about half the sessions, especially as we're dealing with the consequences of this situation for both him and local Kindred society.

I'm sharing stories of this coterie in the current WoD thread if you want to see more.

Not to mention the obvious example of X from LA By Night.

I was not involved in this, so this anecdote comes from a game that was happening while I was doing other things. Some friends of mine were in a game where someone was a Malk who has utterly convinced that he was not a vampire. He was pleasant looking, polite, well adjusted and believed to his core that he was just a normal human who was overly sensitive to the sun. To help him, his allies would give him blood that he believed fully was tomato juice or some such, and if he became so ravenous that he lost his composure and fed on someone, he would snap out of it shortly afterward lament what happened to this poor creature (that he just fed on). If he saw another vampire feeding, he would panic like a mortal would and if he saw supernatural things he would either rationalise it (My, he sure can run fast, can't he?), be convinced that he was seeing things or become panicked also.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

senrath posted:

Once they figured it out did the rest of the party start carrying hats to put on people they felt you should trust, or try to remove them from the heads of people they felt you shouldn't? Because if not they really missed an opportunity.

They didn't start carrying hats, but they would insist on people taking off their hats before meeting with us. They worked around it like accommodating an allergy, they didn't try to exploit it

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Agrikk posted:

I once briefly played a Malkavian with a serious "second coming of Christ" complex. Turns out that embracing people is akin to curing the sick and resurrecting the dead. Miraculous! I was like vampire David Koresh, if you can picture that. And also the farthest thing in the world from chaotic stupid, which I agree is the norm.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, I'm still running the Waterdeep campaign for some friends of mine.
They just hit level 4, and I figured I'd throw the one Spring seasonal event at them. So, it's Trolltide and the Xanathar Guild has let loose a bunch of trolls throughout the city. Fortunately, they're all stuck with a ball and chain and a blind helmet, so they're not as dangerous as they could be. But still dangerous.

The party encounters one and springs into action.

Lea, the "waterlogged" elf druid casts Shillelagh - except spelled right - and attacks.

Squeak, the kenku druid, who up to this point has either used Produce Flame or swung with a morningstar that she just recently attained proficiency in during every combat encounter opts to turn into a giant centipede and do the poison bite attack. To her credit, the troll managed to fail its save and took a good dose of poison damage.

Script, the tiefling hexblade, if I recall correctly used Witch Bolt while trying to close the distance to get into melee.

Vyra, the fire genasi bard, happened to know Heat Metal as a spell, and used it on the troll's blind helmet.

I didn't know what the hell a Blind Helmet was actually made of, but it seemed too clever to not let her roll with, so, she keeps burning it from a distance while city guards hack at its rear with longswords and nearby children throw apples and rocks at it.

Poor troll never stood a chance, especially since Heat Metal kept its Regeneration locked down.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jesus christ that party comp makes me vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
When my game started, not one PC had any sort of bite attack. And why would they? Most PC races don't have them, and it's generally not a thing you go seeking out. But at one point a couple PCs got their eyes exploded by a kobold with far too much talent in corrupt magics, and Keryth the elf swordsage makes a pact with a blood spirit to get them their eyes back. It's fine, she was gonna get something weird soon anyways with all the blood magic she was casting (I kludged some L5R maho rules into my 3.5e game and I think it's been working out pretty well). It gives them their eyes back, and gives her some venomous fangs.

Then Oloth the draconic human bard drank a potion from that same kobold, prepared from the residual magic of a Rod of Wonder-ed contingent reincarnate (that had turned Len the elan psychic warrior into an ice genasi just a handful of minutes earlier) and some blood of an old god. This turned Oloth into an ocean linnorm, giving him a venomous fangs (among other things).

Then Piggy the orc warblade maho'd it up real good, and rolled for his mutation... venomous fangs. The same ones as Keryth, oddly enough!

And now, just last session, Len used the Rod of Wonder and got himself another random minor buff that the Rod gives its owner on acquisition as a show of good will. The buff? Vampiric fangs!

So now everyone has fangs they can use to bite for varying amounts of damage and varying levels of secondary effects. Certainly not where I expected the party to draw its common thread.