Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Poil posted:

gently caress this terrible game and lovely fourth rate amateur incompetent developers! It must be so hard to program while sitting open mouthed and drooling all over the keyboard as soon as they come across something complicated like a three letter word. Want a job a Firaxis? Easy. Enter a programming school, fail all classes and courses and misspell your name on the iq test. I want to play this game but all I get is frustration and anger at how annoying and dumb everything is. Why why oh why did I ever waste my money on this brainless garbage? :bang:

Apart from all the other issues all the time how hard is it to make sure that I don't freaking discover another player's starting warrior when I settle my first city? Just a little exploration reveals tons of empty land, which are now full of millions of barbarians but that's my fault because my two move units can't catch three move units zooming in from three directions. Barbarian camp spawn sound! Where is it? Who the gently caress knows! Might be right outside the border so the scout auto discovers and auto reports as soon as it spawns, yaaaay!

And this!

I'm glad I picked "balanced start" or I might not have gotten that amber.

I want to like this game so much, but I can't. :(
Sir this is a Wendy's drive-thru.

Serious: there is a quick restart option in the pause menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Poil posted:

gently caress this terrible game and lovely fourth rate amateur incompetent developers! It must be so hard to program while sitting open mouthed and drooling all over the keyboard as soon as they come across something complicated like a three letter word. Want a job a Firaxis? Easy. Enter a programming school, fail all classes and courses and misspell your name on the iq test. I want to play this game but all I get is frustration and anger at how annoying and dumb everything is. Why why oh why did I ever waste my money on this brainless garbage? :bang:

Apart from all the other issues all the time how hard is it to make sure that I don't freaking discover another player's starting warrior when I settle my first city? Just a little exploration reveals tons of empty land, which are now full of millions of barbarians but that's my fault because my two move units can't catch three move units zooming in from three directions. Barbarian camp spawn sound! Where is it? Who the gently caress knows! Might be right outside the border so the scout auto discovers and auto reports as soon as it spawns, yaaaay!

And this!

I'm glad I picked "balanced start" or I might not have gotten that amber.

I want to like this game so much, but I can't. :(

It's okay, we all get salty sometimes. :kingsley:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fleetwood Crack posted:

yeah thats a lol -> post pic -> restart kinda deal

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm so salty I could conserve enough fish and meat to get a city to pop 11.

Sorry. This is infuriating. It's just a stupid game. Just let it go. Breathe. Calm down.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I don't have a problem with x so therefore it's not a problem for anyone :smug:
Barbarian camp SPAWNED, not found. There is no notification then. Just a sound. Unless I'm blind and can't find it.

I was using standard map size with one AI less than default. Default sea level. Default city states.

Oh I restarted, five times. That is not reasonable. I should not have to restart several times to get a ->decent<- start. I don't enjoy listening to Sean Bean narrating about the great beasts of the stone age before humans walked upright with noticeable different audio depending on which expansion the civ is from over and over that much. :(

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I don't get the reference. :saddowns:

Yeah, I got started directly next to another player, a very tiny peninsula with jungle with no space for districts, a narrow mountainpass with no space for districts (and cities have a 3 tile radius!), remote tundra with barely anything, tundra with visible AI borders on turn 2 in a direction I hadn't explored in and the Antarctic expedition.

edit
I apologize for angry ranting posting. I'll leave them unedited to broadcast my shame.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 19, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They added a barb camp spawn notification a couple patches ago (you can even click it to see exactly where the new camp is), but it's easy to miss it in the spam of other notifications.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, nice. Yeah I completely missed that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

It's not cheating if that's how they're programmed and they're following it :)

Just curious as to what additions they get. 90% discount? Free apostles? Cos if you leave even one enemy city with their religion and a temple, they will spawn new apostles every turn (in my experience)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Elias_Maluco posted:

"theological combat" is probably one of the worst ideas ever in the civ series

edit: vvvvv I think it does. encampments and holy sites seems to be their favorite districts

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, but it's certainly a bad implementation. I'm not sure what they could do to improve it, though - a game like this has too many overlapping systems for an easy fix. Maybe remove theological combat, put in a loyalty-like function and attach it to all units as well as cities?

Elias_Maluco posted:

And I advise using legendary start. But if you start in a terrible location anyway, it happens, is not so absurd, just restart

Funny enough I've had awful luck with legendary starts. Sure, my initial city will be good to great, but drat if it isn't hard to find good locations for second and third cities. Normal start may not give me a natural wonder immediately, but I can at least find spots for 3-4 cities or more that are viable.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, but it's certainly a bad implementation. I'm not sure what they could do to improve it, though - a game like this has too many overlapping systems for an easy fix. Maybe remove theological combat, put in a loyalty-like function and attach it to all units as well as cities?

It's a reasonable idea to fix an unreasonable system. Civ 5's religion system is awful because you're just microing units into a perpetual tug-of-war. Religious combat adds some tactical depth to the tug-of-war, cuts down on the effectiveness of a constant trickle of religious units, and makes it possible to outplay a civ with higher faith unit output via better tactical play. These are all improvements on 5's religion, but what really needed to happen was to scrap that system and start over (either revert to Civ 4's much superior version of religion, or at least try something new.)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Doubling down on Civ5's religious system and actually turning it into a victory condition is by far the dumbest design decision they made with 6.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is a fun new bug. Germany declares surprise war on me and invades my territory. It won't actually let me attack their units for some reason - I move other troops in, and they can only move. The garrisoned unit can attack but nobody else. Time to load an autosave!

Edit: This save is bugged. Reloaded an autosave, moved units into place and beat him back. 35-ish turns later he declares surprise war on me again, moves next to my units and....I can't attack again. Game just does not want me to take a cultural victory I guess.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 20, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Maybe you should declare war back!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Your units refuse to attack their rightful rulers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

DID YOU KNOW

quick restart wasn't added for almost a year after release

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sometimes I miss the simplicity of Civ 1. But when I go back I miss the complexity of Civ 4-5-6.

Remember how in Civ 1 there were no borders or culture, so the AI could just walk a settler to the center of your empire and build a city there? Imagine if that was real life.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Sometimes I miss the simplicity of Civ 1. But when I go back I miss the complexity of Civ 4-5-6.

Remember how in Civ 1 there were no borders or culture, so the AI could just walk a settler to the center of your empire and build a city there? Imagine if that was real life.

I don't miss "battleship bombards phalanx on the shore, loses, and sinks"

I also don't miss the palace anymore. I pretty much built similar stuff every game -- it was overrated.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never played Civ 1. I played a ton of Civ 2, back in the day, and then skipped directly to Civ 5

I tried to get into Civ 4 a few times after Civ 5, but I always bounce back

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I started with 3, and I do sometimes miss both the build your own palace (even if it didn't actually do anything), the full view of cities (though this got increasingly awkward with more wonders and more available buildings), and the leader portraits changing depending on their age. Those little touches were fun.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I had a demo of Civ 1 from an Atari magazine and I played the first 100(?) turns over and over and over until I could purchase the game. I am scared to go back and try the old Civs even though I have them all. I basically dont like the new Civ every time it comes out but still put 100s to 1000s of hours into them even to this day.

One thing that was cool and I would love to see again was the old Civ 2 council - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTIk80uBPg

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Touchdown Boy posted:

I had a demo of Civ 1 from an Atari magazine and I played the first 100(?) turns over and over and over until I could purchase the game. I am scared to go back and try the old Civs even though I have them all. I basically dont like the new Civ every time it comes out but still put 100s to 1000s of hours into them even to this day.

One thing that was cool and I would love to see again was the old Civ 2 council - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTIk80uBPg

who can forget Elvius Preslius, the ancient roman philosopher

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Basically, I want Civ4 but with Civ2's council, Civ6's districts and builders, and Civ5's ideology-based arc.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wow Kane lost a lot of weight before becoming leader of the Brotherhood the following year

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

with Civ2's council

I concur, your Majesty!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've had a few games of Red Death now, I love how the first turn always takes ages as at least one person freaks out over not being able to settle a city

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Any Offworld Trading Company pros in this thread? I keep losing to my friends and I need some god tier tips.

- When should I pick the carbon dudes? I feel like carbon is always really scarce on maps, so I never pick them, but I do like the black market
- Is it worth it to build the optimization center at level 2? How about the patent lab?
- Is it ever worth it to grab a source of resources if they're far away and I don't have teleportation? I'm always attracted by them, especially when early in the game all of the resources from manufacturing games tend to be pretty cheap.
- What should I do in a 3- or 4-player game if I think someone is planning on buying me out, and I don't think I can buy them out first? I have read that paying down debt increases stock price, but in my experience it hasn't done so enough to make it significantly harder to buy me out.
- Should you only buy someone's stock if you're planning on buying them out soon?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nrook posted:

Any Offworld Trading Company pros in this thread? I keep losing to my friends and I need some god tier tips.

- When should I pick the carbon dudes? I feel like carbon is always really scarce on maps, so I never pick them, but I do like the black market
- Is it worth it to build the optimization center at level 2? How about the patent lab?
- Is it ever worth it to grab a source of resources if they're far away and I don't have teleportation? I'm always attracted by them, especially when early in the game all of the resources from manufacturing games tend to be pretty cheap.
- What should I do in a 3- or 4-player game if I think someone is planning on buying me out, and I don't think I can buy them out first? I have read that paying down debt increases stock price, but in my experience it hasn't done so enough to make it significantly harder to buy me out.
- Should you only buy someone's stock if you're planning on buying them out soon?

What civ you are talking about here?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It's designed by Soren Johnson, it's basically a civ game.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

nrook posted:

it's basically a civ game.
No, not at all. OTC is an RTS, and there's a (admittedly short) thread for it in games.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

A non-civ game in the civ thread? Well I never

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

John F Bennett posted:

A non-civ game in the civ thread? Well I never
If it was a different 4x that would be one thing, but when we get into real time games we might as well be discussing FPSs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fleetwood Crack posted:

If it was a different 4x that would be one thing, but when we get into real time games we might as well be discussing FPSs.

First Produced Settlers

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Unfortunately even the reddit subreddit for Offworld Trading is dead. So I'd think you're on your own.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

nrook posted:

-Carbon dudes are for when there's a few adjacent carbon deposits usually you want high or medium. Also religiously check if nukes are available and if they are reconsider choosing carbon dudes.

- no level 2 advanced buildings.

- If you play as robotic you ship with power, if you can make power cheap by over supplying the market you can ship as far as you want. Try to always keep a mind toward late game production of your upgrade resources and found close to them if you can.

- Agressive black market is your best bet, if they have 99% of a buy on you but you shut down all of their profitable buildings they are just as incapable of removing you from the game as if they were at 0%. 4 player free for alls are weird and honestly I'm not fond of them.

-In a human vs human matchup buying stock essentially locks in that you and he are racing to whatever quantity of money is necessary to buy them /buy you. It makes it a little harder for you to be bought by raising your stock but the most important thing is that your opponent can never reclaim those shares without buying you out entirely. If you don't claim them your opponent can buy his own stock and then you have to pay double the asking value to get ahold of it.

That said mathematically the best move is almost always waiting until you have a full buy THEN buying the stock, this is because when shortages of resources happen and the price begins to rise you can throw every freely available dollar into the market and essentially have all of your income accruing in value, more money invested in buying up resources means more accrual which means more money which lets you buy your opponent faster. By doing this your opponent can sell the resource that had a supply shortage (if they've been producing it) and essentially take your money by increasing supply and lowering the market price so it is not without risk. See also: hacker arrays.

PM me for more info or hit me up on the official discord we can do a few practice games if you like.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 24, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Loads of good advice

Oh wow, thanks, this is what I was hoping for! I knew there would be a few OTC fans in the Civ thread. After all, it's an RTS, just like the last few Civilization games, so I would assume a shared interest pool ;)

I'll hit up the discord if I have any more questions.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Looks like Civ 6 is coming to Playstation? :o

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like Civ 6 is coming to Playstation? :o

It's still real good on the Switch, just keep wishing for the expansions. I played like 3 full games on there before going back to PC last time to play with climate change stuff.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I mean we have a battle royale mode in Civ VI now, an FPS mode wouldn't be that far out of the loop.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of the Battle Royale, is that strictly a multiplayer mode, or can you setup a single player version with AI players? I know the AI isn't nearly as good or fun to play against as real people, but I don't like many real people.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

It's still real good on the Switch, just keep wishing for the expansions. I played like 3 full games on there before going back to PC last time to play with climate change stuff.

Looks like the PS4 version comes with all expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like the PS4 version comes with all expansions.

motherfuckers