Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/AlexShawESPN/status/1175394462740230144?s=19

You're telling me that if Sonny had scored with the part of his shoulder that the line is touching, the goal would have stood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Insurrectionist posted:

Makes sense then. Although with the decision as narrow as that (compare for example King's offside goal yesterday which was extremely tight but still very visible) it's somewhat hard to even accept the idea of the replay analysis returning an 'objectively' correct call - the PC can't compute angle/perspective to that extent AFAIK so you still rely on the video refs eyes to determine if it really is or isn't offside.

Yeah there are issues with implementation and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a rules clarification in a season or two to nail down exactly what "when the ball is kicked" means.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

brasstassels posted:

You're telling me that if Sonny had scored with the part of his shoulder that the line is touching, the goal would have stood?

No, because that's not how offside has ever worked.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
It's literally the rule that you can only be offside with a part of the body you can score with

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
double post

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

brasstassels posted:

It's literally the rule that you can only be offside with a part of the body you can score with

Yes, but the rule isn't "you can be offside but can only score with a part of the body that wasn't offside".

If any part of the body is offside you are offside and cannot play any part in the move.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
lmao

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Woooooooooooooooow

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shittenham

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Hahahaha

Isn't that like 32 shots between Madison's last goal and this one?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Wanyama needs to go to China asap

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
This is garbage and I hate it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
urgh gently caress off going back to bed

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Blinkz0rz posted:

This but the opposite

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Ndombele was fun at least

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Hahahaha

Isn't that like 32 shots between Madison's last goal and this one?

And now he’s gone and crocked himself.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
he scored a worldy and then die

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

If any part of the body is offside you are offside and cannot play any part in the move.

This is wrong. Only a part of the body you can score with can be offside.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's no objective line on the shoulder that defines handball, therefore this call cannot be objectively onside or off based solely on his shoulder

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

EvilHawk posted:

Yes, but the rule isn't "you can be offside but can only score with a part of the body that wasn't offside".

Hands and arms don't count against if that's all that's over the offside barrier tho

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Spurs will do anything to lose, you have to be impressed

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

brasstassels posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that there's no objective line on the shoulder that defines handball, therefore this call cannot be objectively onside or off based solely on his shoulder

no you literally said this

brasstassels posted:

saying that if he had scored with his shoulder (which was the bit that was offside) it would have stood with is just amazing and i've never seen anyone think of that

he could score with it, so it counts for determining offside

if he is offside because of the shoulder, no goal he could ever score would be valid because he was offside with a part he could score with

e: oh your point was a bit more nuanced, but just the initial wording was really :wtc: in reasoning, sorry

i kinda want to see it played like that for a game, where you could have 1 body part over the line but you have to score with that part just for laughs

Karl Sharks fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 21, 2019

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

brasstassels posted:

Sorry yeah, that's what I meant to say. It sounded like you were saying you can still score if it's with a part of the body that wasn't offside at the time.

Completely agree about the shoulder. It's one of the most subjective rules in football and nobody seems bothered by it. Particularly now we've got the garbage rule about handballs in the lead up to goals it needs clarifying.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
it's weird hearing Sonichu constantly during the match

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
At least I live on the east coast but ffs

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

no you literally said this

saying that if he had scored with his shoulder (which was the bit that was offside) it would have stood with is just amazing and i've never seen anyone think of that

he could score with it, so it counts for determining offside

if he is offside because of the shoulder, no goal he could ever score would be valid because he was offside with a part he could score with

I didn't mean specifically after this play. I wasn't clear though. Let me put it this way:

If, hypothetically, any player scores a goal with the part of the body the line is touching, it would be called off for handball

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Weaponized Cum posted:

At least I live on the east coast but ffs

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

brasstassels posted:

I didn't mean specifically after this play. I wasn't clear though. Let me put it this way:

If, hypothetically, any player scores a goal with the part of the body the line is touching, it would be called off for handball

Balotelli famously scored with his shoulder, though whether that would stand under today's laws is up for debate

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

it's weird hearing Sonichu constantly during the match

idgi

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

brasstassels posted:

yeah i totally get what you meant now when i read the second part of your post, so at that point that was on me

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
spurs going from 2-0 up to losing 1-2 is the most Spurs thing a Spurs could Spurs

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
hungover, this loving match, and next a Catholic wedding.

what a poo poo day.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Second in the table, feels good

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Nice meltdown, "mate it's spurs", etc but I have no idea how a team who looked pretty good for most of last season and made the champions league finals can be so garbage right now after really only adding talent.

It's like they took the summer off and then said "nah idgaf about football anymore"

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

That Leicester defender's name sounds like Sonichu

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

That Leicester defender's name sounds like Sonichu

I don’t know what that means.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

Nice meltdown, "mate it's spurs", etc but I have no idea how a team who looked pretty good for most of last season and made the champions league finals can be so garbage right now after really only adding talent.

It's like they took the summer off and then said "nah idgaf about football anymore"

You are describing one christian eriksen

e: really though it's 100% the dressing room. multiple players wanted to leave in the summer and I suspect they're all dejected they didn't get a move and it's showing in their play. Someone needs to convince them to suck it the gently caress up and play for the club they're contracted to

brasstassels fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 21, 2019

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

brasstassels posted:

You are describing one christian eriksen

Zidane and/or Florentino didn't want him and it broke him

Now he shuffles around a desiccated husk with no lights on, spirit already departed the realm of us mortals

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

it’s spurs

remember when they finished fourth and didn’t qualify for the champions league?

how they finished third in a two horse race?

finished behind Chelsea last season?

they work hard to be poo poo

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

funkybottoms posted:

hungover, this loving match, and next a Catholic wedding.

what a poo poo day.

Condolences bro, worst weddings I've ever been to by some distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fucks sake Watford.