Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

does running a roleplaying game podcast with a buch of b-tier voice talent really make that much money???

Probably more money than voice acting, especially since it's branching out into comics and an animated short that raised $11 million on Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

OnimaruXLR posted:

does running a roleplaying game podcast with a buch of b-tier voice talent really make that much money???

Considering they are able to merchandise on a shitton of it and a lot of loving people draw fanart and make videos to rep how much they love critical role and donate to them on anything they do, yeah it brings in a pretty significant amount. Mercer is probably one of the most talented people in the history of voice acting, because he is the only one who's ever actually used himself as a brand and profited massively off of doing poo poo he was doing in his house 6 years ago for fun and now he has a studio, a crew, and Travis Willingham at his most Willingham.

He's also really good at voice acting and his time management skills are absurd. This dude was in an insane amount of voice acting roles for a good period and the only reason his presence died down even a little is because of Critical Role and the dude STILL finds time to get called in to voice act.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's come a long way from "We Need Someone To Voice This Troy Baker Character Because He's Too Expensive Now"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm fairly certain that Smithee was talking about Robert Mercer and his three daughters.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wasn't scott mcneil the guy who had entire scenes of characters talking to each other that were all voiced by him?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

He's come a long way from "We Need Someone To Voice This Troy Baker Character Because He's Too Expensive Now"

Apparently he was called in to voice Yuri from the recent Tales of Vesperia rerelease, but he turned it down because he didn't want to be the fake Troy Baker anymore. Or something like that.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ultraklystron posted:

Vic's ability to get consent for fan works is 0/4 or more, trying to clap on Sabat for it is transparently nonsense.

It’s almost as though, with CHUDs, their every accusation is a confession.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ultraklystron posted:

It's so rich coming from a guy whose client/friend has previously made :

- an unauthorized Fullmetal Alchemist fan film for which he borrowed and nearly damaged company property (Al statue) on false pretenses, and for which he incessantly harassed brand management staff to act on his behalf to get said film included as an Easter egg on official releases until the staff relented and wasted company time asking just so they could be told no officially.
- a fan song in character as Edward Elric for which he got clapped on for selling copies of and cutting an AMV too.
- an unauthorized Star Trek fan series that is an explicit sequel to the original series, and was disowned on Twitter by Shatner for kind of misrepresenting it as official/co-signed.
- an unauthorized Futurama fan film where the main joke was he played Zapp Brannigan with his censored dick out. And wow, what a surprise Vic would play a sex pest.

Vic's ability to get consent for fan works is 0/4 or more, trying to clap on Sabat for it is transparently nonsense.

It's pretty telling how most of the outrage squad at Funimation/the defendants/other VAs/twitter people don't have a core principle-they claim to hate "sjws" and cancel culture in general that ruin people's lives (Vic), but then they're willing to be hypocrites and become the outrage culture trying to ruin many more people's lives because they like a creep and he lost his job for being a creep because they're a bunch of misogynistic conspiracy nuts. And don't even get me started on the projection and gaslighting they all do too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wark Say posted:

I'm fairly certain that Smithee was talking about Robert Mercer and his three daughters.

Yeah. I also know Matt so

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wark Say posted:

This is honestly a good question: Which voice actor is on that level? Like, maybe Frank Welker, who can do equally insane things like inanimate objects or animals noises with insane accuracy?
He's dead, but Mel Blanc certainly was. Hank Azaria probably

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wark Say posted:

This is honestly a good question: Which voice actor is on that level? Like, maybe Frank Welker, who can do equally insane things like inanimate objects or animals noises with insane accuracy?

he's not alive anymore, but the god of voice acting was mel blanc (he allegedly could do 400 different dialects!)

someone who's living?

- jim cummings
- rob paulson
- kath soucie
- jeff bennett

Skwirl posted:

He's dead, but Mel Blanc certainly was.

drat youuuuuuuuuu

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Clarste posted:

Apparently he was called in to voice Yuri from the recent Tales of Vesperia rerelease, but he turned it down because he didn't want to be the fake Troy Baker anymore. Or something like that.

Actually he came out on twitter saying he never even got contacted about it. Presumably they didn't want to pay his now higher rates?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tara Strong started getting mainstream notice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

wasn't scott mcneil the guy who had entire scenes of characters talking to each other that were all voiced by him?

Yeah. Some of the best parts of Beast Wars are essentially McNeil talking to himself and you wouldn't be able to tell. (He's also really good in the Darkstalkers dub as Lord Zombie, but only has like a scene because they focused on the most boring character in the franchise for most of the OVA.)

There's also Maurice LaMarche. Grey Griffin's another.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 21, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Clarste posted:

No, you're mixing that up with Borderlands 3 with Ryse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The venture bros is almost entirely two people doing all the voices so you have a lot of places where one person is talking to themselves.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The hosed up thing about Vesperia is didn't Troy Baker come out and say he really wanted to do the role and he wasn't even contacted about it? Pretty sure this same style of stuff happened with the P4 dancing game and Laura Bailey too.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The hosed up thing about Vesperia is didn't Troy Baker come out and say he really wanted to do the role and he wasn't even contacted about it? Pretty sure this same style of stuff happened with the P4 dancing game and Laura Bailey too.

Yep. Bamco didn’t even ask him, they just assumed he’d be too expensive. They were on a strict budget so I can understand their decision but they should have at least asked him.
And IIRC Laura Bailey wasn’t available when they were recording P4D, but in subsequent games they went ahead and used her replacement... I think.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rise didn't have another English role to voice afair so Burch was only voicing her the one game anyways. If that character ever gets into something like BBTAG it'll be funny though because Bailey is willing to return to reprise anime roles (She's in the new fruits basket dub) but it seems you gotta get her during a big lull in her schedule, same for Baker it seems.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What I had heard was that Bailey was contacted for P4D but since the video game industry is stupid about secrecy they wouldn’t actually say what game or character it was for and she would have said yes had she known.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think the issue with Rise/Bailey was that her agent wasn't told it was a Rise role, they were given typical NDA bullshit "Would she be interested in a game involving dancing" and she had no idea about it until afterwards.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, then I hope that, if they do anything with them beyond Fire Emblem Heroes, that at least Nintendo/IS keeps Kyle McCarly and Erica Lindbeck around as Alm and Celica, because I loved them as my favorite cat-lords, even more than their Japanese counterparts.

:3:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

ninjewtsu posted:

Ah, that reminds me of one more piece of Vic hypocrisy. Back in 2006 he was a special guest at Anime Revolution in Vancouver. I went to his panel, and he started into stories about other VAs. It was mostly unmemorable until he starts in on Scott McNeil in for not asking the age of con attendees before fulfilling requests to autograph their breasts while he and Vic were seated by each other for an autograph session. Vic goes in on how he'd never do anything untoward to underage guests, claiming he'd always check ages.

In retrospect, bringing that up mostly unprompted seems very suspicious. Seems kind of like grooming the audience in attendence, because he wasn't bringing it up in a way that seemed like he wanted young fans to watch out for VAs, just that he was a better guy than Scott.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Man, then I hope that, if they do anything with them beyond Fire Emblem Heroes, that at least Nintendo/IS keeps Kyle McCarly and Erica Lindbeck around as Alm and Celica, because I loved them as my favorite cat-lords, even more than their Japanese counterparts.

Erica Lindbeck has been aces in everything I've heard her in. She's going to be really big soon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Erica Lindbeck has been aces in everything I've heard her in. She's going to be really big soon.

What exactly makes her not big already, she's already voicing in Triple A games as main characters, and otherwise the highest populated japanese localizations.

Wark Say posted:

Voice actors rarely change in FE unless there's some weird outside circumstance like Strike solidarity (Bailey), retirement, or they broke NDA (also probably sexual harassment).

They got Mia's original VA from Radiant Dawn, a game that came out in 2007.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, off the top of my head from things I've watched/played in the last 2 years:
  • Futaba from Persona 5
  • Cheelai in the Dragon Ball: Broly movie (I saw it in theaters in Mexico in both English and Spanish; why yes, I am an apostate!)
  • Menat in Street Fighter V
  • Miriam in Bloodstained
  • Celica in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Ritsuko in the Neon Genesis Evangelion dub from Netflix.
  • Mordred in Fate/Apocrypha.
  • Cassie Cage in Mortal Kombat XI
And I'm probably forgetting stuff (I've been watching dubs a bit more these days, I must confess :shobon:). So yeah, it's fair to say she's probably big already. I hope she still gets even bigger roles once she shows up in stuff like Troy Baker in The Last of Us or now that he seems to be more or less the go-to guy for Batman in video game roles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

*]Cassie Cage in [And I'm probably forgetting stuff (I've been watching dubs a bit more these days, I must confess :shobon:). So yeah, it's fair to say she's probably big already. I hope she still gets even bigger roles once she shows up in stuff like Troy Baker in The Last of Us or now that he seems to be more or less the go-to guy for Batman in video game roles.

That's what I meant - like how it's Laura Bailey's character on the Gears of War 5 box.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She was also Black Cat in Spider-Man PS4 and I think she's in Promare's dub.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, off the top of my head from things I've watched/played in the last 2 years:
  • Futaba from Persona 5
  • Cheelai in the Dragon Ball: Broly movie (I saw it in theaters in Mexico in both English and Spanish; why yes, I am an apostate!)
  • Menat in Street Fighter V
  • Miriam in Bloodstained
  • Celica in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Ritsuko in the Neon Genesis Evangelion dub from Netflix.
  • Mordred in Fate/Apocrypha.
  • Cassie Cage in Mortal Kombat XI
And I'm probably forgetting stuff (I've been watching dubs a bit more these days, I must confess :shobon:). So yeah, it's fair to say she's probably big already. I hope she still gets even bigger roles once she shows up in stuff like Troy Baker in The Last of Us or now that he seems to be more or less the go-to guy for Batman in video game roles.

Anemone in automata too

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Frank Oz

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mr. Nice! posted:

The venture bros is almost entirely two people doing all the voices so you have a lot of places where one person is talking to themselves.

The Simpsons is like, 10 voice actors doing something like 120 voices, which is pretty impressive imo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ultraklystron posted:

Ah, that reminds me of one more piece of Vic hypocrisy. Back in 2006 he was a special guest at Anime Revolution in Vancouver. I went to his panel, and he started into stories about other VAs. It was mostly unmemorable until he starts in on Scott McNeil in for not asking the age of con attendees before fulfilling requests to autograph their breasts while he and Vic were seated by each other for an autograph session. Vic goes in on how he'd never do anything untoward to underage guests, claiming he'd always check ages.

In retrospect, bringing that up mostly unprompted seems very suspicious. Seems kind of like grooming the audience in attendence, because he wasn't bringing it up in a way that seemed like he wanted young fans to watch out for VAs, just that he was a better guy than Scott.

and...he said this at the panel...in public? :stare:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

and...he said this at the panel...in public? :stare:
someone post the videos including the comments about a 8(?)yo wonderwoman

there are many layers to this monstrosity of a case

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

someone post the videos including the comments about a 8(?)yo wonderwoman

there are many layers to this monstrosity of a case

having seen that clip in the BSS thread, maybe not post that because that's some vile rear end poo poo

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

agreed, but if you're this far in the thread and that anecdote is a surprise the implications of that line should be enough

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Dee Bradley Baker was Olmec in Legends of the Hidden Temple, Appa and Momo in Avatar: the Last Airbender, and every clone trooper voice actor in every animated Star Wars production. I'm pretty sure Rob Paulsen called him one of the top three voice actors working today.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i never had any love for vic, but if those comments about scott mcneil are true, that makes me quite depressed

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Claytor posted:

Dee Bradley Baker was Olmec in Legends of the Hidden Temple, Appa and Momo in Avatar: the Last Airbender, and every clone trooper voice actor in every animated Star Wars production. I'm pretty sure Rob Paulsen called him one of the top three voice actors working today.

Dee Bradley Baker also is, like, the king of voicing animals as well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well I mean Vic asked their ages so he could write his room number on the underage fans boobs instead of his autograph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Dee Bradley Baker also is, like, the king of voicing animals as well.

Yup, he does all the hamster noises for Hammond/Wrecking Ball in Overwatch