Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
As a person who played the absolute hell out of the Game Boy Link's Awakening, is there anything worthwhile in the Switch version that would make me want to play it again? The dungeon maker seems bland to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
entitled goose game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waffleopolis posted:

As a person who played the absolute hell out of the Game Boy Link's Awakening, is there anything worthwhile in the Switch version that would make me want to play it again? The dungeon maker seems bland to me.

More seashells and heart pieces but mostly huge quality of life improvements in interface, text boxes, and inventory management

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Glaring frame rate issues aside Awakening is a lovely game so far. It's my first ride through this game as I've never had a Gameboy.

This game and Links awakening are the two I've always heard folks hold in high regard.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I'm still going through Breath of the Wild for the first time and this game finds new ways to wow me all the time. Weapon durability sucks but I never found myself with a lack of strong or OP weapons to use. I've gotten almost every shrine in the game, haven't started DLC yet. I'm planning on doing my 4th Divine Beast, getting all the shrines, completing all the side quests I can find, upgrading the rest of my favorite armor, doing the DLC, and then tying up loose ends before kicking Ganon's rear end and putting the game down.

Game is great. And yes the Yiga Clan hideout did suck, but I cheesed it by using stasis on the instant death guards and running right past them. The most frustrating things I've done in the game were probably trying to reliably get dragon horns and the naked survival island.

When I'm done I'm going to post my game list and let goons decide what I play next.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

It's still a fun game so if you like fun games it's worth buying

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Holy poo poo, Goponga Swamp is rough... that has to be less than 30 FPS

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
https://twitter.com/gutcruncher/status/1175236842993487872?s=21

I’d just post the gif but I accidentally deleted it after putting it on Twitter so it’s trapped there forever.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I picked up a Mario themed Hori D-pad joycon and I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. The Dpad is nice, but record and select buttons are rubber instead of plastic. It makes it difficult to get them, especially the select button, to register when you click them.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

well why not posted:

Finding it hard to dish out high damage in astral chain. I’m on File 7 (or perhaps 8) and I’m not sure what the best way to handle large enemies is. Each Legion has damage around 35, with sword lower for some reason. Am I missing something?

Are you upgrading the legions? I also never noticed a problem outside the final boss (who is much more difficult than the rest of the game).

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

new graphics

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

few more pixels and color

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i do think the graphics are really good and worth $60 lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zas posted:

new graphics

https://clips.twitch.tv/MushyCooperativeCattleYouDontSay

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's really amazing what they did with four shades of baby poop green back in the day

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
SMH if you don't rush out and buy Russian Existentialist Drama Link's Awakening and spend hours mourning the loss of both your innocence and sanity to the haunting whale song of the Wind Fish

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waffleopolis posted:

The new graphics/sound and a bunch of quality of life improvements.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

The Bloop posted:

It's really amazing what they did with four shades of baby poop green back in the day

Well, it was a Super Gameboy.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

SMH if you don't rush out and buy Russian Existentialist Drama Link's Awakening and spend hours mourning the loss of both your innocence and sanity to the haunting whale song of the Wind Fish

:hai:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

?

Also does this fool not know the difference in X and A??

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Gamefly begged me to come back for $1, so I've got Link's Awakening and probably that new Contra game coming soon even though it kind of looks like poo poo.

Played through My Friend Pedro, on PC so can't comment on the Switch version, and thought it was fantastic. All the weapons felt great. Got C rank on most of the missions, but even though I wasn't an expert flashy killer it was still fun.

Hot take: In hindsight I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a bad Fire Emblem game. The 80% social 20% gameplay balance is not good.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Laterite posted:

Did anyone get Ni No Kuni yet?
I did, but I haven't played more than ten minutes of it due to 50 other games coming out this week. I was a bit weirded out though that Bandai Namco makes you agree to both an EULA and Privacy Policy just to play a single-player offline game. Certainly they're not the only publisher to do that (see Bethesda), but like, Nintendo doesn't make you do that for their games, why do you have to be special?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

katkillad2 posted:

Hot take: In hindsight I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a bad Fire Emblem game. The 80% social 20% gameplay balance is not good.

Post time skip was painful, so dull

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I did, but I haven't played more than ten minutes of it due to 50 other games coming out this week. I was a bit weirded out though that Bandai Namco makes you agree to both an EULA and Privacy Policy just to play a single-player offline game. Certainly they're not the only publisher to do that (see Bethesda), but like, Nintendo doesn't make you do that for their games, why do you have to be special?

Bamco have been doing that for all their games for like a couple of years now

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bottom Liner posted:

?

Also does this fool not know the difference in X and A??

He's trying to get into the dungeon that has the Bracelet, so no, he can't lift the rocks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

big cummers ONLY posted:

Sorry if this has been answered recently but I literally cannot keep up to date with this thread. How is the Castle Crashers port? I have a friend coming over tonight and that kind of thing is right up our alley

Also taking couch coop game suggestions

Couch co op? Your money can literally not be spent better than on a purchase of all time great game BROFORCE

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I got the physical copy of Link's Awakening and haven't noticed any serious slow down. Maybe noticeable if you're really trying to notice it, but I'm 3 dungeons in and haven't experienced anything game breaking. YMMV I guess.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Infinitum posted:

There is no language select from ingame.

You could always buy it from the US/Euro/Aus eShop? Just buy a digital eShop giftcard for currency.

Dammit :(

I'll end up getting a digital copy. But, it's Zelda and I've owned a physical copy of every not-CDI Zelda game since the original. I really just wanted to have the cart and box.

What I'm gonna end up doing is buying the HK release and setting it on my shelf and then getting the English version digitally then because I'm a nerd who wastes money.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The goose game...

is good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

Old games didn’t have much in the way of being jittery slowdown. That’s kind of a modern gaming problem.

NES slowdown wasn't any better

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Played another hour or so of the Goose game this evening and I had fun. Slightly disappointed that NPCs are only programmed to react to their specific items and nothing else. I brought the bra all the way back to the little kid playing with the toy plane and was hoping he'd react epically but he didn't even acknowledge it. Oh well, still enjoying the heck out of it. It's really clever and I like the slow paced puzzle style gameplay.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think the social stuff in Fire Emblem was fine, there was just too much of it. I think if there were fewer students, fewer weeks in the calendar or whatever, and nixed some of the gift stuff, no dialogue to seek out, etc would go a long way.

I'm someone that tried to talk to everyone to hear all of the dialogue, recruited everyone possible, and sometimes it would take me an hour to get through the monastery.

I really want to replay the game to see the other routes. But like, that's a massive time commitment for a game I've already beaten, even if I don't let all the VA play out. Obviously you can skip stuff, but I don't trust the AI to do auto anything and if I'm playing again, I'm gonna do everything.

What I think would have been cool is if you had a first half that didn't have you pick a house at first. Maybe you can pick a few students at first, maybe you have some missions with each different leader. Then at the end of the first half, you make your choice, and you can load saves from there, rather than having to go through everything all over again each time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I want a goose amiibo

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the puzzle quest port to the switch has a bug where the runekeeper gear some enemies get only for special tough encounters start getting used by normal versions of the enemy as well for some bizzare reason.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I think they should have ditched the lost item mechanic in Fire Emblem. It's just one thing too many and makes you have to wander around the monastery too much unless you look at a guide to know who gets what item.

By the end of the game I was actually just wishing that the whole monastery was navigated through menus because it's a lot of time wasted wandering around the same map every month, and there's not really an efficient way to do it. Especially in the early months when there are students all over the place and you also have to be on the lookout for lots of items.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I eventually just got bored and would try every lost item on every person

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I literally never touched the lost item mechanic halfway through my first playthrough.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I think they should have ditched the lost item mechanic in Fire Emblem. It's just one thing too many and makes you have to wander around the monastery too much unless you look at a guide to know who gets what item.

By the end of the game I was actually just wishing that the whole monastery was navigated through menus because it's a lot of time wasted wandering around the same map every month, and there's not really an efficient way to do it. Especially in the early months when there are students all over the place and you also have to be on the lookout for lots of items.

yeah, you barely get anything out of being able to EXPLORE the monastery. it's all very static and boring after you've been through it the first time, and running around takes forever.

it's also a missed opportunity that it's basically identical five years after the start of a massive war, but I digress.

menus like you said would be more efficient. just make it a thing where you can opt for it before a battle, maybe you get one or two meals each time but they go a long way towards recruitment.

I also thought it was too easy to recruit students, but that's another conversation.

but on the topic of the social gameplay, tea time was the WORST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone here get the Link's Awakening Dreamer edition with the artbook? I need a high quality image of a certain page...