Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Only one thing bugs me about Aliens: why does an entire military spaceship only have a crew of one squad of marines? How are ~20 people supposed to do the job of essentially an entire navy ship? It doesn't seem smart to leave the ship empty in orbit while the crew is out on a mission

also they expect a squad of marines to be responsible for arming and fueling the dropship as well as doing cargo/logistics? That's like 4 jobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Automated systems, a relatively small ship, tremendously deep corporate pockets, and a history of the Nostromo being both old as hell and bad luck. It's the military equivalent of a sacrificial scout Winnebago

E: WY also doesn't want the colony eliminated and only wants specimens sent back with a veneer of plausible deniability

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 22, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

also they expect a squad of marines to be responsible for arming and fueling the dropship as well as doing cargo/logistics? That's like 4 jobs!

That's what they were doing when Ripley was in the loader.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Phi230 posted:

Only one thing bugs me about Aliens: why does an entire military spaceship only have a crew of one squad of marines? How are ~20 people supposed to do the job of essentially an entire navy ship? It doesn't seem smart to leave the ship empty in orbit while the crew is out on a mission

Given today's work climate and an extra century, that sounds about right.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

That's what they were doing when Ripley was in the loader.

Yeah but its ridiculous!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Burke opens his bulky portable phone and the little CRT flickers to life. He taps the arrow key on the mechanical keyboard a few times and hits the Return key to open up the "MyRene" app and starts sorting gig mercenaries by price and experience. A pixelated baby faced lieutenant pops up, cheap to hire and recently signed up for the app...

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 22, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Phi230 posted:

It’s a bug hunt

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chunderbucket posted:

Given today's work climate and an extra century, that sounds about right.

:hmmyes:

It does seem to make sense that they're a typical corporation that's just trying to cut costs in any way possible.

I don't know but I'm thinking the USCM doesn't work for the company but is sort of being given orders by them. Almost like they hired them. Well they probably did. When Ripley and Burke were going at it about taking off and nuking the site from orbit she says that this op is under military jurisdiction. So therefor they are in charge and not the company.

edit: But they're the United States Colonial Marines. So who else does colony building? Is it just the corporations or are governments doing it too? If it's just the companies then they could have their own private military force.

I'm just rambling now.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:hmmyes:

It does seem to make sense that they're a typical corporation that's just trying to cut costs in any way possible.

I don't know but I'm thinking the USCM doesn't work for the company but is sort of being given orders by them. Almost like they hired them. Well they probably did. When Ripley and Burke were going at it about taking off and nuking the site from orbit she says that this op is under military jurisdiction. So therefor they are in charge and not the company.

edit: But they're the United States Colonial Marines. So who else does colony building? Is it just the corporations or are governments doing it too? If it's just the companies then they could have their own private military force.

I'm just rambling now.

you don't need a private military if the government will do your dirty work for you, apparently at a moment's notice

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I haven’t watched starship troopers since it came out in theaters, I remember a bunch of iconic scenes...but what I can’t remember is why they go fight the bugs in the first place.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wuffles posted:

I haven’t watched starship troopers since it came out in theaters, I remember a bunch of iconic scenes...but what I can’t remember is why they go fight the bugs in the first place.

The bugs launched an asteroid at Buenos Aires which was the final straw. Not sure how they got into it in the first place with them. But I think it was before the asteroid that the mormon extremists set up shop on one of their planets, presumably trying to... convert the bugs? :shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phi230 posted:

I saw an explanation (not sure how much of it is backed by lore) that you can't go faster than light with a small ship, but they only needed enough people to check on a colony that probably broke its antenna or something stupid, so the best option was to send a whole (highly automated) ship with only a couple of squads.

The real answer is because it made a cool movie and that's all the thinking I really do about it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

wuffles posted:

GOD drat BUGS WHACKED US JOHNNY

Nb. the bugs did not whack them, it was a false flag to give the government a pretext for massive war after the bugs interfered with its colonial policy

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Starship troopers is my favorite movie

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The bugs launched an asteroid at Buenos Aires which was the final straw. Not sure how they got into it in the first place with them. But I think it was before the asteroid that the mormon extremists set up shop on one of their planets, presumably trying to... convert the bugs? :shrug:

Maybe the bugs sent the rock since they assumed all humans were just like mormons?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I like to think there's just always little freezer ships of throwaway grunts asleep in ships in various areas that are able to be select>right-clicked onto the nearest system by the corpomilitary-industrial complex at the drop of a hat, like rotating shifts of bombers over the arctic

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

etalian posted:

Maybe the bugs sent the rock since they assumed all humans were just like mormons?

There’s no evidence the bugs sent the rock. They’re bugs, not an expansionist military state. Every other violent action the bugs take is a direct defense against aggression by the Federation. They ate the Mormons because the Mormons moved onto their planet which frankly, is a perfectly fine justification for eating Mormons

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What if we made a movie where the Mormons DID convert the bugs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Phi230 posted:

IIRC this happens in one of the direct to video sequels

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

skasion posted:

There’s no evidence the bugs sent the rock. They’re bugs, not an expansionist military state. Every other violent action the bugs take is a direct defense against aggression by the Federation. They ate the Mormons because the Mormons moved onto their planet which frankly, is a perfectly fine justification for eating Mormons

What about the rock that Denise Richards artfully dodged?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Starship Troopers 3

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

This isn't entirely accurate. The bugs are able to launch their spores into space and colonize other planets that way as is mentioned in the movie. So they are expansionist. Also I can't find any evidence of the Federation sending the asteroid themselves. I mean, it's totally possible considering they're a bunch of fascist assholes who love war, but watching the movie, I don't see anything to suggest it.

edit: dammit, someone voted the thread down from gold. I was proud of my 3/3 gold threads. :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I got u

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Like...the whole point of the movie was that it was set in a fascist society, with outright propaganda pieces strewn throughout it just to help cue you in a bit more to that fact.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow the bugs were able to use faster than light travel to propel a rock, something we have never again seen the bugs as capable of doing

"hurl their spore into space" does not mean they have FTL travel lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well the crew of the Roger Young traveled FTL to get to the asteroid that pulled them out of hyperspace and hosed up their communications so they couldn't report the incoming death. It was that specific asteroid that hit Buenos Aires.

I'm guessing it's just a type of... "it's movie stuff, just suspend your disbelief and don't overanalyze it" type thing. Also the hurling their spores into space thing doesn't necessarily mean they are traveling to other galaxies. In fact I think it's just objects in their own solar system. Just like we can visit other planets, they can hurl their own spores to other local planets. Like planet "P". They said that they're going around to other outlying planets after the Klendathu disaster so I can only imagine they sent their spores to the planets around them and that's what scares the Federation.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 22, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Phi230 posted:

They would all wear weird long johns and hold up sheets to kill troops through. Pious bugs best bugs

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Like...the whole point of the movie was that it was set in a fascist society, with outright propaganda pieces strewn throughout it just to help cue you in a bit more to that fact.

That's the brilliance of ST. Its major conceit is that it's a Riefenstahl film, and people watching it through a normal lens is a posthumous statement about how propaganda works if you look at the film and the mass audience as one whole product of that statement. The bugs and their desires are unknowable apart from their role as THE OTHER. It's brilliant!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

They would all wear weird long johns and hold up sheets to kill troops through. Pious bugs best bugs

Also start giving their larvae names like Kaylee and Brecklyn

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

That's the brilliance of ST. Its major conceit is that it's a Riefenstahl film, and people watching it through a normal lens is a posthumous statement about how propaganda works if you look at the film and the mass audience as one whole product of that statement. The bugs and their desires are unknowable apart from their role as THE OTHER. It's brilliant!

It really is.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I don't know.
The Company can send in marines, so they can command a lot of ships.
If they knew that it was a true non-human event or ship, they would go immediately.
I think the Nostromo was returning from their mining operation, cargo full. Could be wrong, haven't watched it recently.
So why send a ship to go mine whatever, then divert them on the way back. Risking someone else to detect the distress call and beat them to it.
Could just send them there to see if they can mine LV426.

Then again the Company are sneaky enough to do that poo poo so :iiam:.

Yeah, there are lots of 'could have been'. But i spent the whole of the movie thinking, hang on, this doesnt make sense.

A mining ship shouldnt divert course with a full load to check out an unidentified signal. If you lose the ship you lose all that cargo.

That there is a clause in their contract that says if you dont investigate you dont get paid...

That the droid was on the ship as a last minute recruit that disobeys captains orders but follows special orders.

Im probably picking plot holes.

Now i can easily believe that the nostramo had been picking up the signal for a lot longer than when it woke everyone up. And Mother could have gotten the message back to the company, and they then 'reprogrammed' the andriod's behaviour before anyone wakes up.

But it all comes back to the crappy prequals where weyland is actively looking for engeneeiers, has found them, and the company knows of 'the perfect lifeform' which is the alien.

Its crazy >< in a bad way. as it at least to me, leads weight to the prequals fitting the canon.

Oh, and the 1979 special effects dont hold up ><

OHHH. and the final scene, where the Alien is in the escape shuttle and is SLEEPING, completely oblivious to Ripley. I always remembered that scene as it laying in wait and coming out when she was about to get into the sleep pod.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I felt like the alien was freaked out by all the noise and flashing lights and found the only quiet place in the ship to hide.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It was the one place on the ship where Sigourney Weaver would be hanging out in her crazy low space underwear so, like, maybe our monster made wholly of rape and drool actually kinda had some good taste mixed in there a little too?

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 22, 2019

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Z01xBot0E

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Just rewatched aliens, great movie

The queen alien is a drunk idiot at the end though

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I think it was a blatant private-public relationship with WY and the USCMC that got that to happen, like I always figured there was some behind the scenes kickbacks in funds or tech to make them only send a skeleton crew of expendables.

In the Colonial Marines Tech. Manual it's suggested that a ship like the Sulacco is normally meant to run with 90 crew but can be modified to fit 2,000 so under normal operations- the support staff would totally be there. It also handwaves away a lot of the logistical issues with automation, cross-training the marines with basic starship jobs on top of combat training, and implying that vessels like that are stocked to the gills to operate independently for years at a time without resupply.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

About to do that now

Just watchin Aliens now.

Ripley says that the company knew it was there and set them down to pick it up in like the first 15 mins...

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 22, 2019

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Because assuming they survive at all, every person they add to the crew needs to be paid off or killed later.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Some of yall are bad at movies

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My favourite scene from Aliens is from the extended cut, (I think), but it's when they set up the two automated machine guns in a corridoor, and the aliens attack, and we see the ammo going down and down and eventually running out, just as the aliens run away. The line "next time all they have to do is walk up and ask", or something similar, is really really cool.

Then there is my second favourite scene where they are using the movement detector, and are racing against time to weld the cafeteria door shut only to find out it means nothing as the aliens are above the door in the vent. A masterpiece of tension, and the reveal leads to a cool action set piece as they run away.

And as has been said, they didn't have a proper full squad of marines, coz the marines were sent in to fail/become incubators for the aliens. If Paul Reiser had got his way, they would have walked in, got "infected" (for want of a better word), then retreated back to the ship for medical stuff. And he would have then flown home with his highly valuable alien larva in stasis to sell to the company. If they send in a ship full of marines, then the marines have a chance of actually killing all the aliens, and thus rendering the entire effort useless, (from a company point of view).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

A mining ship shouldnt divert course with a full load to check out an unidentified signal. If you lose the ship you lose all that cargo.

That there is a clause in their contract that says if you dont investigate you dont get paid...

This is actually rational, it was for a distress call. Its like ships on an ocean, if you hear one, and you are the nearest and can possibly help, you must if possible.
And with spaceships costing a poo poo load, and time frames being days or weeks before help can arrive, if you can help save or salvage one, you will.
I guess it maybe space or Company law or something, every ship out there has to help if called to. Because it could be you that needs the help.

Meskhenet posted:

That the droid was on the ship as a last minute recruit that disobeys captains orders but follows special orders.

Now i can easily believe that the nostramo had been picking up the signal for a lot longer than when it woke everyone up. And Mother could have gotten the message back to the company, and they then 'reprogrammed' the andriod's behaviour before anyone wakes up.

I don't think there was any reprogramming at all, as Ash would have turned into a stone cold killer.
Androids I would assume have an inbuilt loyalty hierarchy as : Company > Ship > Individual
Ash couldn't handle the conflicts of being told the crew were worth less than the alien, something not on the loyalty hierarchy.
So freaked out when he had to kill one to maintain the mission objectives.

quote:

But it all comes back to the crappy prequals where weyland is actively looking for engeneeiers, has found them, and the company knows of 'the perfect lifeform' which is the alien.

Its crazy >< in a bad way. as it at least to me, leads weight to the prequals fitting the canon.

Oh, its all open to interpretation. My own, the prequels don't count. As they are the gibbering of a mad old man with George Lucas mind worms.

quote:

Oh, and the 1979 special effects dont hold up ><

Dem's fighting talk mister!
I love the computer chatter. I wish I my PC would do this while I worked.