Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Something the wing places don't do so they can double sell dip is a blue cheese with some hidden valley ranch dust added :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bollock Monkey posted:

Watching him touch everything with his chicken gloves is making my skin crawl.

It’s soap and salmonella all over everything-they’ll just cancel each other out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

nwin posted:

It’s soap and salmonella all over everything-they’ll just cancel each other out.

At first reading, I thought this was another wing sauce recommendation

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

For wings I like blue cheese dressing. This recipe here is no-frills and pretty good. Most people like it chunky but I like to hit it with the hand blender to get the blue cheese in every bite.

3/4 c.......sour cream
1 1/3 c....mayo
1 t............Worcestershire
1/2 t........mustard powder
1/2 t........ground black pepper
1/2 t........garlic powder
1/2 t........kosher salt
4 oz.........blue cheese crumbles

I might try this one next time, the recipe I used was much more basic. tbh a big part of the problem is I’ve never actually had buffalo wings so I was at a loss to figure out what to have alongside

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

At first reading, I thought this was another wing sauce recommendation

Well.... technically.

I make a tiny bit of bechamel and stir in a bunch of gorgonzola and sauteed garlic for wing sauce sometimes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

amenbrotep posted:

I might try this one next time, the recipe I used was much more basic. tbh a big part of the problem is I’ve never actually had buffalo wings so I was at a loss to figure out what to have alongside

Blue cheese and celery sticks are the classic "authentic" accessories for buffalo wings, although I would guess ranch dressing is the more popular choice nowadays, despite being inferior and a bit juvenile, if you ask me.

I'm looking at Kenji's recipe and it's pretty meager, especially for him. Mayo, sour cream, blue cheese, vinegar, lemon juice, salt to taste?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

Blue cheese and celery sticks are the classic "authentic" accessories for buffalo wings, although I would guess ranch dressing is the more popular choice nowadays, despite being inferior and a bit juvenile, if you ask me.

I'm looking at Kenji's recipe and it's pretty meager, especially for him. Mayo, sour cream, blue cheese, vinegar, lemon juice, salt to taste?

If you don't use a good blue cheese it falls on its face. Also most sour cream is too bland to work, gotta get something with some funk. Think local/grass fed/unpasteurized.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All the Mexican sour creams I had had extra funk

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Here's a question for y'all: how would one gaining an appreciation or at the very least a tolerance for blue cheese?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would suggest you should just eat some, on a peppery biscuit, with a bit of pickled walnut and a glass of port. As long as the thought doesn’t make you feel physically ill, just keep at it and you’ll like it.

I taught myself to like coffee just by deciding I needed to like it and drinking a cup every day even though I didn’t like it, until I did.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

captkirk posted:

Here's a question for y'all: how would one gaining an appreciation or at the very least a tolerance for blue cheese?

Stilton is the blue cheese gateway drug imo. Very mild and creamy and not sharp like gorgonzola which I really hate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seconding Stilton as a warm-up. Maybe even feta or chevrie to get that sharpness.

I like all the funky cheeses though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shropshire blue is a p deece gateway cheese as well

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The health benefits of gin (https://www.leplangt.com/10761/) are bullshit right?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Even if they aren't, most potential benefits from things like wine are small enough that they are outweighed by the potential risk of developing alcoholism which seriously tanks your long term health.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

CrazySalamander posted:

Even if they aren't, most potential benefits from things like wine are small enough that they are outweighed by the potential risk of developing alcoholism which seriously tanks your long term health.

Know what really tanks your long term health? Me cutting you with this glass after I finish my beer.

That aside, don't drink for your health. Drink to your health

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you have access to a cheese shop taste as many as they will let you

spankmeister posted:

Shropshire blue is a p deece gateway cheese as well

Yes. Also cambazola, beenleigh blue, fourme d'ambert

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

captkirk posted:

Try cambozola, it's sort of like gorgonzola but a lot less sharp and a bit sweeter. It's delicious. I like cambozola black label from murray's

honestly just asking a cheesemonger the question you asked us will give you a really good spread of tastings

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

captkirk posted:

Try putting a milder one with something sweet; bleu cheese & pear salads with candied walnuts were my gateway to liking bleu cheese. Then I started trying it on those seeded date crackers near the cheese counters, and eventually I got to just liking it all by itself.

Now I crave funk in my cheeses; lemon stiltons I used to think were "too much" are just barely tangy enough and most of the brie I can easily get feels so... :geno:

edit: I did find a goat brie that's actually pretty neat and has a taste, so that's fun.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Palpek made this great poster for the now-goldmined SA propaganda thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898006&pagenumber=16#post498503485

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Sextro posted:

Know what really tanks your long term health? Me cutting you with this glass after I finish my beer.

Not if I smash you with my sake bottle first.

Jokes aside, I wasn't actually advocating the teetotal lifestyle, just suggesting that if there are benefits to alcohol it's probably not worth making a point of having it every single day if that's not something you're doing already.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Insert jpeg of Hogarth’s Gin Lane here.

I love Gin but I reckon you’d have to drink way too much of it to get those reputed benefits from the added botanicals as they’d only be in small doses in a single measure.
I’m happy that Gin has become the drink de jour as there are many interesting small distillers popping up using an interesting range of botanicals to flavour their Gins such as using native Australian plants.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

How long is vanilla extract good?

About 10 years ago I got the idea to make my own vanilla extract with some good beans and bottles of rum and brandy. Well, I put the beans in the bottles and then forgot about them. So they have been sitting there and now I'm wondering if the extract is even still good or if I should just toss it all and start over. There isn't any mold or scum at the top of the bottles. I cracked one open yesterday and took a quick smell. Just smelled like vanilla and rum.

So what do you all think?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

diremonk posted:

How long is vanilla extract good?

About 10 years ago I got the idea to make my own vanilla extract with some good beans and bottles of rum and brandy. Well, I put the beans in the bottles and then forgot about them. So they have been sitting there and now I'm wondering if the extract is even still good or if I should just toss it all and start over. There isn't any mold or scum at the top of the bottles. I cracked one open yesterday and took a quick smell. Just smelled like vanilla and rum.

So what do you all think?

Assuming you used at least a 30% abv rum, and it was stored in a dark place, then it's fine. If it's in a clear bottle and been in light, then you could have some UV issues with flavor - it'll still be safe to use as extract, but just won't be as tasty.

The real question is how much vanilla did you put in per bottle. If it smells like vanilla and rum, and you started with vanilla and rum, then I think that's a good sign. Most "store-bought" vanilla extract starts with grain neutral spirits at like 95% pure alcohol and blends in their vanilla to that. If you only want it to taste like vanilla, then that's the route you have to go - but personally I like the complexity that the rum gives it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Glass bottle or plastic? If glass, and you used full proof rum, and none of the bean was unsubmerged, you have some great extract to enjoy.

Plastic: might get weird taste, still safe
Unsubmerged: might have funky bits, if it tastes good you're fine

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It already passed the test, it's fine. I'm sure it was at its best a few years ago in terms of flavor intensity though. Give it a taste.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

All the bottles are glass and have been kept in a dark and cool place (bottom of the pantry.) I used decent beans but skimped out on the rum and vodka. I think I used about five-ish ounces of beans per bottle.

They aren't bottom shelf brands but I didn't waste money on getting the best since I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just taste it. It's fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a service like Blue Apron, except they just give you the recipes and you buy all the ingredients?

I'm looking for something that sends you a PDF/etc weekly, which consists of an entire shopping list, and single-page recipes that you can print, with minimal interaction on the part of the user.

e: Something to this effect, except weekly dinners

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 24, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Wouldn't that just be signing up for/following any recipe blog that does regular updates?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah but how can we pay a subscription for it while disrupting the "knowing how to cook things" industry

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a service like Blue Apron, except they just give you the recipes and you buy all the ingredients?

I'm looking for something that sends you a PDF/etc weekly, which consists of an entire shopping list, and single-page recipes that you can print, with minimal interaction on the part of the user.

e: Something to this effect, except weekly dinners

Venmo me $20/week, and I'll send you a curated recipe.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Venmo me $20/week, and I'll send you a curated recipe.

I'll do it for 10. I have zero qualifications so I can do it cheap. Capitalism, baybeeeee

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'll do it for 10. I have zero qualifications so I can do it cheap. Capitalism, baybeeeee

I'll do it for $90, because that's what the truly distinguished elite will pay. Don't concern yourselves with the scribblings of the poors.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'll do it for 150 a month and I'll even write you a nice long story about my life and how it's tangentially related to why you should eat this taco.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How many kinds of rice do you guys have on hand? I have a small NYC kitchen and it's getting ridiculous. Not helped by the six kinds of flour I already keep.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have: medium everyday rice (e.g. Koshihikari) for steaming, basmati, jasmine, carnaroli for risotto, brown rice I got from a friend that I need to finish, and I want to get some Spanish rice for paella.

Not sure if I need any other rice at this point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

How many kinds of rice do you guys have on hand? I have a small NYC kitchen and it's getting ridiculous. Not helped by the six kinds of flour I already keep.

Short grain sushi rice, jasmine, basmati, arborio, and long grain white people rice. So five?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I just kinda keep basmati on hand and use it for everything, getting sushi rice or other types on an as needed basis per recipe. There's nothing I have ever found that calls for basic long grain white rice that can't be improved with basmati, and imho the differences between basmati and jasmine are not pronounced enough that you can't sub one for another and still have a tasty dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

I only cook for myself, so just one 2-pound bag of brown basmati rice I struggle to finish before it goes bad.

Which reminds me, I keep needing to make red beans and rice, or try to make a couple of pilafs