Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Joda posted:

Oh so CPUs have an accurate single cycle implementation? I knew if GPUs had anything it was the approximation because they don't really need anything more accurate.
The fast version is an approximation: 11 bits precision with 4 cycle latency, but can complete 1 every cycle. Normal precision is much slower, like 14+ cycles for floats, and it also stalls the instruction pipeline for that time so the cost in overall execution rate is higher than it sounds.

But to put this in perspective for non CPU whisperers, you will never care unless you have this inside a nested nested nested inner loop. You'll bottleneck the CPU on memory accesses long before computation speed becomes a problem. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does this mean that I shouldn't worry about using sqrt inside of a shader? At least, not any more than I'd worry about doing multiplication or division? I have a conical falloff effect in one of my vertex shaders that I couldn't figure out how to do without a square root, and it bugged me at the time.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yes. Just as division is reduced to an approximate reciprocal and a multiply, square root is an approximate inverse square root and a multiply.

To put a number on it: on a current generation console square root and divide both cost the equivalent of five multiplies. You also get an add for free at the end. Multiply-adds are one cycle and special functions are four cycles. This also includes sin/cos and exp2/log2.

Spatial fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 14, 2019

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey I have a problem with my camera in Unity. I'm trying to do this, which is what shows up on the Game display tab.

it skews like this on play

here is my inspector if that helps. I'm pretty new to most everything, so it's probably something stupid and easy.

Help me please and thank you.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

What are the aspect ratio and/or the resolution settings in the game tab? Does the camera position change when you play compared to the scene editor? And do you mean play as in press play in the editor or running a build?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Definitely look for differences in the inspector when you press play vs when the editor is at rest.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I'd guess what's happened here is the rotation x=22.5, y=45.0 isn't producing the result you expect, because it's getting combined in the wrong order or being applied around the wrong position. To avoid that kind of surprise I prefer to use the 'look at' functions - if you set the camera position then 'look at' a position e.g. x+2,z+2,y+1 you can be confident the way the rotation is applied won't be surprising.
(Though it's also possible the camera is looking the right way and the land object has some surprise rotation from somewhere.)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sedgr posted:

What are the aspect ratio and/or the resolution settings in the game tab? Does the camera position change when you play compared to the scene editor? And do you mean play as in press play in the editor or running a build?

Its both in just pressing play and in the build. Its on free aspect. Like i said im new so i havent reeally touched any of that.

roomforthetuna posted:

I'd guess what's happened here is the rotation x=22.5, y=45.0 isn't producing the result you expect, because it's getting combined in the wrong order or being applied around the wrong position. To avoid that kind of surprise I prefer to use the 'look at' functions - if you set the camera position then 'look at' a position e.g. x+2,z+2,y+1 you can be confident the way the rotation is applied won't be surprising.
(Though it's also possible the camera is looking the right way and the land object has some surprise rotation from somewhere.)

Ill def look at that later i think my eyes are bleeding

Corbeau posted:

Definitely look for differences in the inspector when you press play vs when the editor is at rest.
Thanks i bet this will help me figure it out

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 15, 2019

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
take it off of orthographic projection

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's what I thought at first, but both images are ortho, just one's from a flatter angle. Given the content of the images, I assume the ortho projection is an intentonal stylistic choice to mimic 3D TRPG games (or some similar aesthetic).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The flatter one is also rotated slightly. Just compare objects in the two.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it was on the player follow script cause im dumb.

I'm also having a problem with Directional Lights. They cause shadows to flicker. I looked at about 30 pages about this problem and apparently it's probably just Unity being crappy. If I change my Shadow distance down below 24 it is fine. but that means only the bottom few trees have shadows. I tried everything I read. Bias, Clipping Planes, Cascades, etc... The Shadow Distance is the only that makes any difference, but I can't have it on 24. Any ideas?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 15, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well do you have to have dynamic lights, or can you bake em?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

well do you have to have dynamic lights, or can you bake em?

When i switch to baked, its like it just doesnt work, no light no shadows no baking queue. Maybe my whole project is messed up.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Did you try generating the light maps from inside the lighting settings window?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

0 rows returned posted:

Did you try generating the light maps from inside the lighting settings window?

Yeah it just doesn't generate shadows. Ill look more into baking though. Thanks

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok I am working on a project in Unreal, The assets we have are custom player models and have their own custom bones, We have no animations,

I have blender, and other such tools but how can I make animations, I have scoured the web for help but have been unable to find anything that covers this, all tutorials either have you use the default UE skeletons or load up their custom models for the course/example.

Can anyone help me to sort out how to make these animations and export them in such a way from Blender to work in UE4.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah it just doesn't generate shadows. Ill look more into baking though. Thanks

Did you mark your stuff as lightmap static?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Where would you guys recommend starting with doing soundtracks? I know music, but not which programs to use to make it sound like not just bittunes.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Boz0r posted:

Where would you guys recommend starting with doing soundtracks? I know music, but not which programs to use to make it sound like not just bittunes.

Any of the usual suspects: Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Ableton, Cubase, etc.

Really depends on what you're doing. I don't do a huge amount of MIDI stuff, so I prefer Pro Tools for live instruments. But PT's sequencer is basic at best with gusts to terrible at worst. I have worked with Cubase a bit and is was heads and shoulders above PT for MIDI stuff.

ymmv of course.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
How would you describe the grass texture here? Where it's kind of made of overlapping rectangles of different colors to break up the sameness of it all and to complement the already blocky nature of the terrain.

Trying to find some good examples but can't summon the magic words for Google to spit me back something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks hand painted but in game it could be a low resolution texture scaled up over a large area. Pixelated, dithering or mosaic are going to be close keywords.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

novamute posted:

How would you describe the grass texture here? Where it's kind of made of overlapping rectangles of different colors to break up the sameness of it all and to complement the already blocky nature of the terrain.

Trying to find some good examples but can't summon the magic words for Google to spit me back something.

Texture bombing?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

HaB posted:

Any of the usual suspects: Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Ableton, Cubase, etc.

Really depends on what you're doing. I don't do a huge amount of MIDI stuff, so I prefer Pro Tools for live instruments. But PT's sequencer is basic at best with gusts to terrible at worst. I have worked with Cubase a bit and is was heads and shoulders above PT for MIDI stuff.

ymmv of course.

Sorry, I should've been more precise. I'd like to be able to write music notation and have it played in whatever instruments and have it sounding "okay". So I guess some sort of midi editor with good sound fonts?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

xzzy posted:

That looks hand painted but in game it could be a low resolution texture scaled up over a large area. Pixelated, dithering or mosaic are going to be close keywords.

Yeah I'm sure it is. Trying to replicate something similar procedurally though.

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

novamute posted:

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Hurray! GPU Gems is great for finding tidbits like this, I've tried making a habit of reading through it chapter by chapter on a regular basis.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I've thought about starting work on a 2D turn based game, but I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed by the possible dev options out there. I'm currently leaning toward GameMaker Studio 2 (for faster development), but think learning how to use Unity would probably serve me better in the long run. Should I just bite the bullet and go with Unity instead of the possibly easier options?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If you already own GM2 and think it would do the job theres no reason not to try it. If you don't own it already and would have to buy it to start development, then I wouldn't bother and just start off with Unity.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I've been doing some tinkering lately with Octo, my CHIP-8 IDE thing. One new feature that's kinda neat is I added support for "Cartridges". There's a tool for steganographically encoding project files into GIFs for easy distribution. They look like this:

I've seen several other implementations of this sort of thing before (Spore, PICO-8, Exapunks), but they all use PNG files. The advantage of a GIF is that I can add as many visually-indistinguishable frames as I like for functionally unlimited storage. Both PNG and GIF formats have features for embedding extended metadata in a file, but unfortunately I've found that online image hosts universally re-encode images and destroy this metadata.

(If anyone's interested in scratching that low-level coding itch, or testing their ability to reduce a game design to its simplest elements, the annual Octojam is just around the corner!)

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Sedgr posted:

If you already own GM2 and think it would do the job theres no reason not to try it. If you don't own it already and would have to buy it to start development, then I wouldn't bother and just start off with Unity.
I'm only on the 30-day trial, but it does look like a pretty decent tool. Much more accessible than what I remember from Unity. But, seeing as I haven't even started yet, I'll give Unity another look.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
What engines, tutorials or other learning resources would you recommend for making a fake-OS type of game in the vein of Uplink, Her Story, Hypnospace Outlaw, Orwell, etc.? Basically a lot of menus, resizable windows, taskbar, I also want to imitate some office apps like calendar, mail, maybe some fake websites, graphs, that sort of thing.

All I'm finding as far as Unity tutorials go is stuff like 'how to make a settings menu', which is not even remotely what I need. Any ideas on where to start with this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt it really the same thing though? Menu is a menu, fake one for your game or real settings.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

What I mean is, 90% of Unity UI tutorials just show you how to put a health bar in a platformer, or how to build a simple single panel pause menu. I'm looking for something that would help me design a whole system of connected menus of varying degrees of complexity and how to properly connect it to game logic.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Check this guy's stuff out, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj49FM3Qhpw

It seems to be all on his Github.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If your game is entirely fake-OS type stuff, you might want to consider using a UI widget library like Qt or wxWidgets instead of a game engine. Unity's UI layout stuff is weird, to be frank. Probably a side-effect of them trying to make everything editable both in the UI and via scripting, but it ends up making positioning and sizing things difficult and clunky.

However, if your game involves any physics or fancy graphical effects, this becomes less of a good idea. Widget libraries will typically allow you to embed an OpenGL texture into them which you can draw to using GL library calls, but that's not exactly easy compared to what a modern game engine lets you do.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

grate deceiver posted:

What I mean is, 90% of Unity UI tutorials just show you how to put a health bar in a platformer, or how to build a simple single panel pause menu. I'm looking for something that would help me design a whole system of connected menus of varying degrees of complexity and how to properly connect it to game logic.

This sounds like a big project but you might try Godot, it has extensive UI tools in its 2D game interface. In fact the game editor itself is built using the included tools. I've fought with some of the UI elements myself, it's not 100% intuitive like Visual Studio for example might be, but I am starting to get the hang of it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nolgthorn posted:

This sounds like a big project but you might try Godot, it has extensive UI tools in its 2D game interface. In fact the game editor itself is built using the included tools. I've fought with some of the UI elements myself, it's not 100% intuitive like Visual Studio for example might be, but I am starting to get the hang of it.
Seconding this, the UI stuff in Godot is really good and you can make fairly complex interfaces in next to no time.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The biggest gotcha probably is that every property is exposed and many of them get overridden if you use helpers like "align left" and so on. For example if you tell something to "fill all available space" but you've already set a height and width on that node it'll just change your height and width to fill the space. "Fill all available space" isn't really a property so much as it is an immediate shortcut for "change a bunch of properties on this node".

Since it seems Godot is always trying to make everything as small as possible what you want to focus your attention on are the minimum height and minimum width settings. That's how you would get a button for example to stay the same size while moving it around. It's based on themes, which are just (as everything is) tiny text files containing all of the properties that have been set differently from the defaults.

These can be saved as resources and referenced from every single UI node so that they are all uniform and you can change everything all at the same time.

I'd say good luck. Making an operating system type game is going to be complex no matter what tool you use. Imagining all the different buttons and clickable areas and so on is making me dizzy a little bit. I recommend keeping the operating system simple.

https://godotengine.org/

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried Godot before, but for some reason found aligning all the UI elements was super annoying. Maybe I should try to revisit it.

I'm also absolutely not married to having full OS-like functionality. It will probably boil down to 4-5 "apps" through which all interactions with the game's systems would take place. Orwell got away with its OS being composed of static panels that you switch between - I think that's roughly the level of flexibility I'm shooting for. I thought at first it would be neat to have the "apps" in their own fully resizable and movable windows, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I was listening to a roguelike radio episode on Jupiter Hell and the dev describes how in the future there are plans for high score boards. He described how the engine can be given a seed and the list of inputs and the game will be exactly reproducible every time. So an uploadable high score would actually just be like, engine version + seed + history of all inputs and it will be played back in a headless version of the engine to verify the score.

So now I'm suddenly super interested in that. Does anyone have any resources for this or search terms? I guessed maybe "deterministic game engine" but it looks like that is generally used in the context of networking as a bandwidth saving measure/managing state? I dunno, I feel like this should be a common subject since plenty of games have it in some capacity in the form of replays and such?