Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RaquelWillis_/status/1175808372542603264

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Typo posted:

Again, why do we allow polls to be posted here? It's just alt-centrist bullshit made by white liberal racists that told us hillary was going to win and convince us good leftist things aren't possible

Yeah, why measure if a candidate is gaining traction outside our own echo chamber.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
lol Bernie was marching at gay rights and gay pride events in the 70's and 80's back when Liz was still voting for the party of "let's ignore the aids crisis so it purges our christian nation of sin"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, why measure if a candidate is gaining traction outside our own echo chamber.

as soon as you propose a way to do that, okay! polls don't do that.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

HootTheOwl posted:

maybe by looking at his actual platform instead of disinformation propaganda polls?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Boy I sure missed having to be constantly apologetic over STDH, 2016 was truly too long ago.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He's right, Harris stand are the worst.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Boy I sure missed having to be constantly apologetic over STDH, 2016 was truly too long ago.

evergreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9mFYOL0_c

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

HootTheOwl posted:

Measuring this is a smart thing to do if you're a campaign manager. If you're a forum poster it doesn't actually matter how popular your preferred candidate is.

mediaphage posted:

Especially this far out. Although what’s left besides rehashing the same points over and over (not complaining, mind you; I get just as sucked in sometimes).
The campaigns are actually campaigning, there are plenty of real world events happening to talk about that aren't people releasing the latest list of 10 numbers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crazy cloud posted:

as soon as you propose a way to do that, okay! polls don't do that.

They do, but ok.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

twodot posted:

Measuring this is a smart thing to do if you're a campaign manager. If you're a forum poster it doesn't actually matter how popular your preferred candidate is.

ths but unironically

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HootTheOwl posted:

They do, but ok.

if that were true hillary clinton would be president

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

All the polls. All of them, you can't restrict any more polls, all of them need to be posted, even the Biden >50%, especially the Biden >50%.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Typo posted:

maybe by looking at his actual platform instead of disinformation propaganda polls?

How would looking at a platform tell me how popular it is?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

They do, but ok.

this is an assumption you're taking on faith, that has no actual basis in reality

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HootTheOwl posted:

How would looking at a platform tell me how popular it is?

maybe how much it appeals to the material interest of the working class and minorities?

:thunk:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Typo posted:

maybe how much it appeals to the material interest of the working class and minorities?

those policies are unelectable i vote for tax credits

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:brainworms:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

redneck nazgul posted:

those policies are unelectable i vote for tax credits

liberals actually believe this

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

maybe how much it appeals to the material interest of the working class?

No, you see, people don't vote based on material interest, they vote based on who can best articulate their wonky plans to consolidate data centers, and the immortal and ironclad science of statistical behaviorism can predict to a sigma of 4.20% exactly how many people prefer one consolidation plan versus another. the only issues that actually matter are white cis straight christian and male, same as it ever was

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Typo posted:

liberals actually believe this

i'm a liberal and i approve this message

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1175825037686968320

the failing new york times

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

crazy cloud posted:

No, you see, people don't vote based on material interest, they vote based on who can best articulate their wonky plans to consolidate data centers, and the immortal and ironclad science of statistical behaviorism can predict to a sigma of 4.20% exactly how many people prefer one consolidation plan versus another. the only issues that actually matter are white cis straight christian and male, same as it ever was

"people don't vote based on the best policies for their material interests, I know this because propaganda polls we made told me so"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Typo posted:

Yeah, this is why Bernie supporters number one second choice is Biden and vice versa, because the material interests are so closely assigned.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

"people don't vote based on the best policies for their material interests, I know this because propaganda polls told me so"

well, tbf, it is completely true, among people 60 years of age or older, who answer the landline, that they have, during the 7pm hour, when they are free because they at dinner at 3:30

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, this is why Bernie supporters number one second choice is Biden and vice versa, because the material interests are so closely assigned.

you don't get it, if polls were accurate, hillary would have clowned trump. stop trusting that number fuckerstain poo poo it's melting your brain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Within 12 hours btw

I'm serious though, don't ban any polls from any outfit, post all of them. Primary day will be that much more interesting.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 22, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Typo posted:

you don't get it, if polls were accurate, hillary would have clowned trump. stop trusting that number fuckerstain poo poo it's melting your brain
Learn how stats work and quit this poo poo out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

They do, but ok.

I'll alert President Hillary Rodham Clinton, first of her name etc etc

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
what gets me is how there is literally nobody willing to even attempt articulating how *any* of the "credible" professional polling companies' methodology is in any way rigorous. Here's the methodology: make 15 completely arbitrary guesses that are based on nothing but your gut, and then conduct a poll with the guesses you made taken as an immutable given, fiddle with your weightings according to the likely voter screen you made up, which si another completely arbitrary guess, and then hit send

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nonsense posted:

Within 12 hours btw

You can just see all the people's brains breaking in real time

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

i have a bachelors degree in mathematics, friend, I understand how stats work. This is the thing where you are taking like, classroom econ101 and trying to apply it to late stage capitalism

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HootTheOwl posted:

Learn who pays for the polls and quit this poo poo out

the people who pays for polling have a structural class interest in destroying bernie by undermining the faith and loyalty of his supporters as he is the only real person who is honest about fighting the capitalists, I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust the poll numbers to be opposite of what his actual support is

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 22, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wonks only care about polls, and trashing it is trashing their hobby, it seems cruel, but sometimes life is cruel.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nonsense posted:

Wonks only care about polls, and trashing it is trashing their hobby, it seems cruel, but sometimes life is cruel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

you know what else is cruel?

taking meals away from hard working DC thinktank employees

if you take away their ability to advocate for more privatisation and less material benefit for people who aren't rich, those thinktanks will have to fire people just like thinkprogress did

do you want more thinkprogress massacres? vote for bernie, bitches

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Bernie is standing up to the think tank noeliberal number fuckerstains lanyards the working class hate, he is the most popular politicians in america. The workers both republican and democrats are behind him, just have a little faith that he's got this and don't let the capitalist propaganda polls fool you

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's no use wasting energy being angry about polls.

If a poll looks bad for Bernie: go donate/volunteer/etc for Bernie.

If a poll looks good for Bernie: go donate/volunteer/etc for Bernie.

Treat all efforts by media propaganda as motivation to go put in your support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Goonpoll 2020, lets start collating the questions now