Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tippis posted:

A skimmer destruction money grind, eh?

I know people have pointed to E:D as a good example of doing space games, but that doesn't mean you should do an exact remake of E:D.

Elite's skimmers actually fight back tho, whereas Crobear's just sit there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDvDZ4tU6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Quavers posted:

Only two buggy options for starter players.

More options for Pay2Win players.

I'm going to guess:

* "often 6k" mean it's usually around 4k
* The distances involve means it'll likely take at least 6 minutes of travel round trip
* the 'avoidable' ai will be so 80% of the time and the other parts it'll bug in some way and zap you
* you can only do this 4-5 times before the server crashes

so I bet you can make 20k in 2 hours.

How close did i get?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Backers eating themselves over Evocati leaks again :laugh:

drat flat earthers! :argh:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAgVSTrqNOc

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

drat flat earthers! :argh:

‘Proofing’ water?

He’s solidly inside his reasonable person bubble, and making the assumption that something he believes is objectively true without evidence and based on ‘the feels’.

Edit: I’m a horrible person, because i totally judge people’s ability to make cogent and meaningful arguments based on their ability to proof/prove and loose/lose things.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 22, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Quavers posted:

In their defense CI nomoregames HAVE said in the past that the leaks affect their ability to put things into the Evocati patches. But I don't see why you would believe that when everything else they say is blatant lies developed to drive behaviors they find desirable.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Hav posted:

‘Proofing’ water?

He’s solidly inside his reasonable person bubble, and making the assumption that something he believes is objectively true without evidence and based on ‘the feels’.

Edit: I’m a horrible person, because i totally judge people’s ability to make cogent and meaningful arguments based on their ability to proof/prove and loose/lose things.

I was proofing some bread the other day, was quite yummy when all was said and done. U looser flat earther!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SoftNum posted:

I'm going to guess:

* "often 6k" mean it's usually around 4k
* The distances involve means it'll likely take at least 6 minutes of travel round trip
* the 'avoidable' ai will be so 80% of the time and the other parts it'll bug in some way and zap you
* you can only do this 4-5 times before the server crashes

so I bet you can make 20k in 2 hours.

How close did i get?

Pretty much. In my experience:

* The skimmer missions fail to spawn at all, about half the time. You just won't find any.
* When the missions do show up, often you'll take them and the mission objectives will fail to spawn at the point.
* Sometimes they spawn around active player areas like Grim Hex, where other people will try to shoot you
* Any time you take a mission it spawns the pirates. The pirates do not despawn until the server crashes. Sometimes you'll take one of these and get to the area and find a swarm of thirty hostile ships waiting for you.
* It really is mostly distance and travel time making up the bulk of the missions. By design, the missions themselves only take 5 minutes of flying or they fail automatically.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Only two buggy options for starter players.

More options for Pay2Win players.

Also lol if it weren't for CIG giving Mustang owners loaner Auroras they'd only be able to do one type, since you can't actually put a box in them.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have asked this question in the GBS thread and i will ask it here. how the gently caress do these still buy into this game, in the best case situation, roberts and his team are gonna make broken and super unfocused MMO game that you could play on gmod servers. at worst, its a loving scam. it know its sunk cost mixed with sad nerds but wtf.

Fargin Icehole posted:

The reason why this has been covered so long is because this project defies all logic.

There's a couple of "big" names that are no longer with their respective companies that made them and their work famous and started kickstarters for their own projects. You got Keiji Inafune of Mega Man fame (whole different can of worms on that one) with Mighty No.9, Koji Igarashi of Castlevania:Symphony of the Night fame and really any castlevania you can enjoy playing, Yu Suzuki of Shenmue fame, Julian Gollop of XCOM fame, etc, etc, etc.

Chris Roberts has managed to tap into the same energy of nostalgia to get his project funded. The difference between him and the rest of the people i mentioned before (the exception of Keiji Inafune) is that the rest of the gallery had a plan and knew when to stop.

But a question I asked in the previous thread that didn't really get answered, what the cause for this one continously making a poo poo load of dosh. The games you mentioned, not to mentioned a lot of other games being promoted as "makers of "X nostogic" game" is that those were marque titles, that both sold insanely well and are considered classics, people talk about them a lot, prespective reviews and all this poo poo on youtube twitch, whatever .

So you get people wanting to get a spiritual successor from them, and more often than not, despite a questionable quality, you get what you paid for.

Wing commander and Freelancer on the other hand, sold about 700,000(based on WC3) which is about middle of the road for PC sales at the time and under 200,000 for freelancer which wasn't a top 50 PC sale of the year, the gameplay and people talking about those games are so few and far inbetween.

The kickstarter I can understand the logic, even the 2-3 years of people buying a ship or 2. but the PU/arena commander/star marine, it's been 5 years, all this garbage and people are still putting more 3 times the money as it costs to buy a collectors edition of a new game for just an ship currently not in the game in any capacity.

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 22, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You kinda answered your own question: it has been five years.

The only people still putting money into this black hole are either new folks who have never heard about the game before today or people who have been around so long that the only option they have is to either A) keep supporting the dream (remember this will revolutionize gaming!) or B) admit that they spent the last five years getting conned.

Option A is - for many people - much easier.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have asked this question in the GBS thread and i will ask it here. how the gently caress do these still buy into this game, in the best case situation, roberts and his team are gonna make broken and super unfocused MMO game that you could play on gmod servers. at worst, its a loving scam. it know its sunk cost mixed with sad nerds but wtf.

Yeah I mean apart from all the other reasons the others have mentioned (project being so unlikely it wraps around to being believable again, all the normal people having been filtered out, etc.) there's the reason that it does cater to a specific audience. Not necessarily a gaming audience mind you as much as a 'reminiscing about gaming' audience. It's a nostalgia grift.

Some people ITT including me are part of that potential group. See, I'm approaching 32 now. My life feels super busy, although it isn't. As I'm getting older, I'm also getting less inclined to swap a good night's rest for a red-eyed gaming session (to immerse myself into a fantasy world, grind levels and loot, or learn to fly a plane in a sim). So, my gaming interests begin to orbit around genres and franchises that I already know. Since these franchises and genres ebb and flow over time, the games I like become more and more historical (see for instance Mechwarrior games, aforementioned flight sims). When I get to playing a new game, I'm comparing it to those older games and wondering why the new games aren't like the old games. And more and more, I don't bother to boot up a game and choose to reminisce about Morrowind or Age of Empires with the other forum dads. Talking about (remembered) gaming experience becomes just as good as gaming itself.

This is exactly the type of audience that CI~G is serving. Being on their forums and talking about what you wanted to see in a game was genuinely fun. Getting validated for your shared experience was even more fun. Since this demographic is also at the height of their careers, there's enough money to go around for a company that tries to resurrect all the poo poo people are nostalgic for. I mean since we don't have time to play the game anyway, who cares if it doesn't work right now or won't be out until everyone retires.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also remember, in spite of their protests, there is a huge contingent out there that wants this to be the next EVE, but they are first movers instead of those dirty goons. EVE is "broken" by "goons" because shitizens aren't the ones on top, and SC was going to prove that EVE is bad and they are the masters of society. Partially because it's p2w.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SoftNum posted:

Also remember, in spite of their protests, there is a huge contingent out there that wants this to be the next EVE, but they are first movers instead of those dirty goons. EVE is "broken" by "goons" because shitizens aren't the ones on top, and SC was going to prove that EVE is bad and they are the masters of society. Partially because it's p2w.

…and goons definitely have never shown any inclination to absolutely break p2w just because p2w is so inherently breakable. So it's all very logical and well-thought-through.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

stingtwo posted:

Wing commander and Freelancer on the other hand, sold about 700,000(based on WC3) which is about middle of the road for PC sales at the time and under 200,000 for freelancer which wasn't a top 50 PC sale of the year, the gameplay and people talking about those games are so few and far inbetween.

I can't talk about the later Wing Commanders, but 1 was absolutely a killer app for the PC back in 1990. Back then, you had Amigas, Ataris and the C64 as the main gaming home computers. Wing Commander coincided with VGA graphics and sound blasters, and was the major PC game that left the previous home computers in the dust.

As for Freelancer, I only got into it a year or so after it was release, and I completely missed out on the hype, the delays, and the disappointed expectations. I still like it a lot for its completely hand-crafted universe. Maybe that was a side-effect of being intended as some sort of MMO game, but I really like how you can explore a huge game world at your own leisure, discover hidden bases, get more and more access to background history as your faction standing improves, etc. Basically, it has a lot of RPG elements that more recent space games lack, especially those with proc-gen universes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

But a question I asked in the previous thread that didn't really get answered, what the cause for this one continously making a poo poo load of dosh.

Roberts lucked out into a Nigerian scam-like situation at the precise moment with the precise clients of the precise age.

The project is kept alive big a few thousand middle-age fans who have been able to rationalize dropping ever increasing amounts of cash to fund a dream, not a game, a dream. Most of them seem to be aware they are getting scammed (as in getting much less for their money than they should) but are trapped and ever-positive about their "investment return" because otherwise they would have to admit that they have indeed been conned by a bunch of has-been developers.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 22, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And in today's death stranding derail (hey! it's fun to read about that game) I learned that not only you can aim your pee with the shoulder buttons but that, when peeing, you move faster backwards than forwards.

The fidelity if off the charts and Chris will never be able to compete.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
What's especially weird to me is that over the years, the types of nerds who were into Star Wars were able to get their heads around the fact that George Lucas was responsible for very little of what they loved about the franchise, and in fact is was the people around him, and the obstacles, that made it what it was. Somehow, they came to grips with that. In fact they came too much to grips with it, to the extent that they started to turn on the guy, not giving him the credit he did deserve, and blaming him for everything wrong (aka "you destroyed my childhood") etc. So of course as usual nerds go too far, but at least they came to the initial realization.

Here we have the exact opposite. A group of people who have no idea how mediocre the old WC games were (I probably think this because I wasn't a kid when I played them), how little Chris Roberts had to do with any of it, and how the stuff they loved most was imagined, created, designed, and coded by other people. Instead of realizing that, they put this inept fraud on a pedestal he absolutely does not belong on, assigned him attributes he does not possess, and unlike the above example, they will not see what's happening. That Chris is literally why this game is never coming out. Not goons, not Derek Smart, not haters. Chris.

So there's more to this than nostalgia, hero worship, disposable income, glory days revisiting, bitterness over EVE, and all that horseshit. Chris Roberts is an extremely unusual case because he's one of the most inept "developers" to ever sort of hold the dubious distinction. This isn't Peter Molyneux or George Broussard, John Romero or even loving Derek Smart. This is Chris Roberts, the absolute last man on earth you trust with even a single penny, and these supposed "captains of industry" threw in with this moron with no compunction.

If this game ever gets bought by a competent developer and released in any form, these motherfuckers will go down like dominoes within weeks, just like they did in EVE. This will happen because by trusting Chris Roberts, they've already proven to be irredeemable idiots and that credulity will follow them right into the 'verse.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

I can't talk about the later Wing Commanders, but 1 was absolutely a killer app for the PC back in 1990. Back then, you had Amigas, Ataris and the C64 as the main gaming home computers. Wing Commander coincided with VGA graphics and sound blasters, and was the major PC game that left the previous home computers in the dust.

As for Freelancer, I only got into it a year or so after it was release, and I completely missed out on the hype, the delays, and the disappointed expectations. I still like it a lot for its completely hand-crafted universe. Maybe that was a side-effect of being intended as some sort of MMO game, but I really like how you can explore a huge game world at your own leisure, discover hidden bases, get more and more access to background history as your faction standing improves, etc. Basically, it has a lot of RPG elements that more recent space games lack, especially those with proc-gen universes.

Like i said, people will make videos on games from their childhoods, Perspective reviews, lets plays blind runs , But you can search Wing Commander on youtube and not find a lot of it, it's pretty bare bones for something considered to be in the " top 100 greatest game of all time". Considering you can get the games on origin and GOG for $5, this is kinda rare and I'm a fan of Privateer.

I'm trying to understand this from a different perspective than just "lonely dorks with poo poo load of dosh to spend" trope. It's the people who had stopped gaming 10-15 years ago, just simply moved on or stopped because the interest in newer games had waned.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

Here we have the exact opposite. A group of people who have no idea how mediocre the old WC games were (I probably think this because I wasn't a kid when I played them), how little Chris Roberts had to do with any of it, and how the stuff they loved most was imagined, created, designed, and coded by other people. Instead of realizing that, they put this inept fraud on a pedestal he absolutely does not belong on, assigned him attributes he does not possess, and unlike the above example, they will not see what's happening. That Chris is literally why this game is never coming out. Not goons, not Derek Smart, not haters. Chris.

So there's more to this than nostalgia, hero worship, disposable income, glory days revisiting, bitterness over EVE, and all that horseshit. Chris Roberts is an extremely unusual case because he's one of the most inept "developers" to ever sort of hold the dubious distinction. This isn't Peter Molyneux or George Broussard, John Romero or even loving Derek Smart. This is Chris Roberts, the absolute last man on earth you trust with even a single penny, and these supposed "captains of industry" threw in with this moron with no compunction.

It's probably about time to repost this old thing since the conclusions are so applicable to this failure of a project as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeU1bSsLerM&t=634s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It's not a "game with controversy" because it's not a game. And you haven't "been through" jack poo poo, just because you sat at a keyboard while other people held a dissenting opinion on a toy. Jesus H Chris what is wrong with these people?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

stingtwo posted:

But a question I asked in the previous thread that didn't really get answered, what the cause for this one continously making a poo poo load of dosh. The games you mentioned, not to mentioned a lot of other games being promoted as "makers of "X nostogic" game" is that those were marque titles, that both sold insanely well and are considered classics, people talk about them a lot, prespective reviews and all this poo poo on youtube twitch, whatever .

So you get people wanting to get a spiritual successor from them, and more often than not, despite a questionable quality, you get what you paid for.

The kickstarter I can understand the logic, even the 2-3 years of people buying a ship or 2. but the PU/arena commander/star marine, it's been 5 years, all this garbage and people are still putting more 3 times the money as it costs to buy a collectors edition of a new game for just an ship currently not in the game in any capacity.

i think alot of the big money buys are the same 100 or so people. weird moneyed nerds who can blow a grand on a jpeg. like i am gonna end up getting the doom eternal collectors edition and the cyberpunk magic edition but thats because i love the series/companies and the quaility/"quality" physical merch. what makes my brain hurt is spending grands of money on virtual ships. because i have had the same expirence rp stuff on loving mods in garrys mod.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/PHKMZHT.gifv

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Holy poo poo:

Can't actually play it until midnight pacific (running it just shows a title screen for now), but holy poo poo. I bought this game six years ago

Cube World guy delivered before Chris Roberts did

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

stingtwo posted:

I'm trying to understand this from a different perspective than just "lonely dorks with poo poo load of dosh to spend" trope. It's the people who had stopped gaming 10-15 years ago, just simply moved on or stopped because the interest in newer games had waned.

I agree. There's something else at play here, and I don't think, despite the dozens of theories, that any of them are hitting on the very root cause, or collection of causes. I think the Black Mirror episode USS Callister perfectly encapsulates the personality and behavior of the commandos, but it's a simple episode, and doesn't really delve into why he's that way.

My personal theory is that there's a certain kind of accumulated life-long psychological damage these people have received, a denial of the life they know they deserved because they were raised on films that reinforced that the rich nerd always "gets the girl" and gets to "be the boss" while the football jock is a janitor etc. At some point late 80's, the realization that technology was going to be a way of life had several effects. It brought people into the field that were outside what nerds of the time would consider "their clique," and many of those people wound up better at the profession than the geeks were. Even the words "nerd," "geek," etc. began to be a point of contention, and you had slapfights over what constituted a "true" geek/nerd whatever, with all the "no true scotsman" fallacies you'd expect. And even those who started out as a geek or awkward realized that they had to work on their social skills if they were going to remain competitive. Those people ascended.

The commandos did not. They love Star Wars because they know they'd be a Jedi, and then they'd get respect. When Star Wars Galaxies made Jedi an easier class to reach they had a poo poo fit, because they wanted to "work" for it, knowing that in their little worlds "work" meant playing a video game for hundreds of hours in your own filth, something the more normalized healthier geek would eschew in favor of being a normal functioning human. So the Jedi moniker became a sort of consolation prize - sure, you're a piece of crusty poo poo, but you're a Jedi and revered by, well nobody, but they think they are, which I suppose was reward enough.

They did the same poo poo with Star Trek - didn't matter how filthy and awkward and disgusting they were in behavior, because they memorized the Enterprise engineering manual and they'll jump in during a captain's meeting and say "well ACKSHALLYYYYY" and spout off some footnote from the appendix, except in real life where the behavior is rewarded with the punch in the face they richly deserve, in Star Trek they are now a hero whose encyclopedic knowledge of pointless minutia has saved lives and now they're a famous admiral who has all the sex.

Instead of working on themselves to fit into society and improve themselves, they try to wrench everything around them into their own grotesque shape, to gain the things they know they deserve. The fact that many of them are making reasonable income in IT fields reinforces their delusion that they're a "respected professional," while being delightfully unaware that EVERY company with an IT department has "that one guy" that they're going to get rid of as soon as it's convenient, even if it means closing that entire branch of the company. Commandos are "that guy."

So what happens when EVE comes out, promises limitless freedom, and they sweatily pore over manuals of ships, make "orgs," and go into the environment they've spent a literal lifetime KNOWING they're the innate masters of, only to be completely destroyed with ease because, and this is the core issue behind the entire problem, they're not as smart as they think they are. Therefore EVE was ruined, hacked, broken, ganked, griefed, everything except the reality which is "we are stupid, we need to adapt, we need to improve."

Star Citizen represents the last saving throw for these near-shattered egos. Spending the money satisfies the "I'm a successful man with a lucrative career" checkbox. Purchasing status satisfies the above and the need for recognition. Insisting that the game permanently cements their status reveals a subconscious understanding that they don't actually have what it takes to command respect, so they want to game to be coded to give it to them, right down to the saluting NPCs.

TL;DR - game bad

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 22, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:reddit: posted:

I took 2 days a week of 4 hours of play over 4 weeks to upgrade from an Aurora MR to an LN a few patches back. That was when you could make upwards of 100k an hour being super efficient.

lol 32 hours of gameplay to upgrade from this:

to this:

That's a $10 upgrade if you do it with real cash. This is good for Star Citizen.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
but that's the same goddamn ship

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

monkeytek posted:

I was proofing some bread the other day, was quite yummy when all was said and done. U looser flat earther!

So, you ate a flat bread?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

You're missing the "credulous cretin" part of the equation. Unlike the megaman dude and other similar cases Chris decided to promise frankly unfeasible stuff for his game. This helps in two completely different ways: First, it is an excellent excuse for extra funding and, more importantly, it is also an extremely good excuse for failure (and delays, jank, etc).

This is a project that started as a new wing commander, turned into a new freelancer, devolved into a MMO, and ended as the most ambitious game ever.

Scruffpuff mentions SW and how fans turned on Lucas. But this is because

a) Lucas had complete control and freedom
b) Lucas had more than enough funding
c) Lucas released the drat pictures on time and without issues.

So the responsibility for those turds could only fall on his anus.

While Roberts only has a) so it's extremely easy (for the cult) to find excuses to forgive him.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Cobra's video starts off well :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX160zQg09Q

:saddowns: oh no, no, I'm sorry, don't do that, no, no, nonono, no, no, I'm sorry drat it, oh there's a ship, oh no versus ship, no, no, just land, just freaking land, no

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gort posted:

but that's the same goddamn ship

No no, this one gets speed holes

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Tippis posted:

Couldn't find it so I made my own…

:five:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hannibal Rex posted:

i had that on the amiga and it was a diashow chugging along with 5 FPS
(T_T)

it was incredibly slow and sluggish.
the more i think about the amiga the more i think it was poo poo.

edit: so yeah at this point in time the PC was clearly number one. the amiga was left behind even by the 16bit consoles. the PC was on top of all then. thats why then i was very happy to get my 486 with 40mhz.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bumble He posted:

(T_T)

Yeah...probably an opinion that most would disagree with you.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah...probably an opinion that most would disagree with you.

i know! and thats way i am so happy that you dont.

ahem...looking back and replaying stuff from the past i can stll enjoy lots of DOS games and many 16 bit console games. i could not think off any amiga game that holds up today (or did not have a much better port on another platform). even turrican which is one of the most beloved games on the amiga. sorry but the mega drive version is much much better.

you can burn me on the stake now

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 22, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Bumble He posted:

(T_T)

edit: so yeah at this point in time the PC was clearly number one. the amiga was left behind even by the 16bit consoles. the PC was on top of all then. thats why then i was very happy to get my 486 with 40mhz.

Amiga 500 launched in 1987
Sega Genesis in 1989 (in America anyway)
Super Nintendo in 1990
Wing Commander in 1990
Intel 486DX2 40MHz in 1992

The Amiga was great for 2-3 years, until hardware advances naturally overtook it

Expecting Wing Commander to run on 3 year old hardware? :lol: have you even heard of Chris Roberts? :trustme:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
dang i thought the amiga came later...
but i absolve myself of that