Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anything in pill or topical form make sure it's a prescription from the vet. Cats are not dogs and they can react real badly sedatives. My suggestion would be if you want to go this route get the vet to give you something, and try it out once to make sure you cat doesn't react poorly to it.

There are also less-intrusive pheromone wipes you can buy and wipe down the inside of the carrier with before the visit that trigger a calming effect in cats, but it's a pretty mild effect in my experience. I used them the first time I took my cat on a flight and while it didn't make getting her into the carrier any easier than normal, it did seem to make her squeak at me less once she was in there than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Can anyone recommend a place that sells CBD oil for cats? I see lots of options online but want to make sure I'm ordering something that won't make my kitty sick.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Can anyone recommend a place that sells CBD oil for cats? I see lots of options online but want to make sure I'm ordering something that won't make my kitty sick.
Not quite the same thing but this is what our vet recommended, if you live in the US: https://cannacompanionusa.com/

It's basically a bunch of vets who formulate hemp supplements for pets. Our vet suggested we try it for two elderly cats who have arthritis and stress-related disorders. I haven't noticed any improvement for stress, but there's been a definite improvement with the arthritis.

The FAQ is very good if you have questions. We use the capsules, not the oil, so I can't speak to the oil dosages. But if you use the capsules, your cat might not need a full capsule. Our vet had us start with 1/4 capsule per day for our 8-pound cat, and 1/2 capsule per day for our 15-pound cat (which means we open up the capsules from Canna Companion and split the contents into new capsules like some sort of drug house). We ended up increasing both cats' dosages a bit eventually, but we started with a conservative initial round to make sure the cats wouldn't respond negatively first.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Not quite the same thing but this is what our vet recommended, if you live in the US: https://cannacompanionusa.com/

It's basically a bunch of vets who formulate hemp supplements for pets. Our vet suggested we try it for two elderly cats who have arthritis and stress-related disorders. I haven't noticed any improvement for stress, but there's been a definite improvement with the arthritis.

The FAQ is very good if you have questions. We use the capsules, not the oil, so I can't speak to the oil dosages. But if you use the capsules, your cat might not need a full capsule. Our vet had us start with 1/4 capsule per day for our 8-pound cat, and 1/2 capsule per day for our 15-pound cat (which means we open up the capsules from Canna Companion and split the contents into new capsules like some sort of drug house). We ended up increasing both cats' dosages a bit eventually, but we started with a conservative initial round to make sure the cats wouldn't respond negatively first.

Thanks, that's perfect!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but what's the general feeling about renaming rescue cats? How much do they know their name vs know the sounds vs understand that humans make a sound when they call them? If I rescued 4-year-old Flossie, would I have to rename her Cassie or could she now be known as Tiger (as an example)?

Also, how do you acquaint an adult rescue cat with a new litter tray?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but what's the general feeling about renaming rescue cats? How much do they know their name vs know the sounds vs understand that humans make a sound when they call them? If I rescued 4-year-old Flossie, would I have to rename her Cassie or could she now be known as Tiger (as an example)?

We took Bean in from a co-worker and her name was London and had been for 7 or 8 years and we renamed her with no problems.

She just used the new litter box no issues

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've only ever had one cat that reacted to its name, I think you're in the clear.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My best cat definitely knew his name but we had him from a kitten and he was a bit doglike. Never changed a name so it's good to know it's easy to do!

Litter tray question was partly because we've got a covered one but I know the rescue only uses the standard kind. Wasn't sure if that'd be confusing or if the presence of litter is enough.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Bollock Monkey posted:

Like dogs, I think cats basically learn to recognize and respond to your voice's tone/pitch when calling to them, rather than the particular consonants and vowels that comprise their name.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bollock Monkey posted:

The general hypothesis from what I understand (FWIW there's fairly limited science on cat psychology because unlike dogs, it's hard to get them to do what you want in a lab environment) is that cats can learn their names, but not in the same sense as us in that it gets bound up in an identity. They just have the pattern recognition to figure out "when I hear this sounds, x happens". The cat doesn't ascribe any more sentimental feeling to hearing its name called and coming over to you than it does hearing its food bowl clink and running over because it knows they're getting fed.

So yeah go nuts renaming the cat if you want, just be consistent with it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Oh yeah I'm not worried about giving it identity issues - more wondering if any new name needs to be close to the old one or if it can be totally different.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

who is calling their cats by name anyway? Any time I talk to one of my cats it's either 'fluffbutt' or 'jerkass' or 'girl/girlie' or 'buddy' or something else instead of their actual name. Although I do say Oscars name more than L.T. or D.D. because I often specifically ask "What's my Oscar buddy doing?" or "Does my Oscar buddy want hugs?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TMMadman posted:

lmao

who is calling their cats by name anyway? Any time I talk to one of my cats it's either 'fluffbutt' or 'jerkass' or 'girl/girlie' or 'buddy' or something else instead of their actual name. Although I do say Oscars name more than L.T. or D.D. because I often specifically ask "What's my Oscar buddy doing?" or "Does my Oscar buddy want hugs?"

Domino is typically rear end in a top hat but we call Bean by her name a lot because she isn't an rear end in a top hat

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I call Binx by his full name, which is “Binx, you loving rear end in a top hat.”

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bollock Monkey posted:

Oh yeah I'm not worried about giving it identity issues - more wondering if any new name needs to be close to the old one or if it can be totally different.

It can be a totally different name. With some cats, they will learn to respond to their names; others won't. At first, maybe try giving a treat whenever the cat responds to the new name (either by looking or coming to you), to reinforce that Good Things happen when it responds, and say the new name whenever you give food. The rescue called my big guy "Fluffy," and we weren't having any of that, so we named him Dmitri and he caught on very quickly that whatever this strange new word was, it got him food.

As to the litter box, if it is a covered one just keep an eye out for the first few days to make sure it is getting used. Some cats really don't like covered boxes, but others don't care as long as it is clean and reasonably private.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
My cat absolutely knows her name. She's a bit doglike and will often respond to "Wozo come here" or whatnot.

Mostly I'm petting her and saying "who's my pretty lovely kitty? You're my pretty lovely kitty!"

edit: I just got back from a three-day trip and she didn't destroy anything while I was gone. Good cat.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 22, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

TMMadman posted:

lmao

It's me, I have Lucky and Toaster both trained to look at me when they hear their respective names because it's easier to do trick training when they're watching my hands vs staring at random unseen entity #5.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Tldr: you shouldn't have any issues renaming a cat

Long bad answer: Cats seem to have a capacity for knowing and responding to a lot of names/sounds regardless of similarities. Basil responds to names such as: Blake, Bortles (obviously he also responds to "Blake Bortles"), Geoff, Geff, Morpheus, Stinky, Pal,.. and plenty of mispronounced versions of those

Peach responds to a long list of names that include Peach, Borscht, Baconator, rear end in a top hat, Shithead.

Edit: reading all these responses now I feel very lucky. I can pick any name off Basil's list and call him from a floor and three rooms away and he'll wake up from a nap and come to the room I'm in. I don't give him any treats for it and he doesn't expect any, he just relocates to a bed/surface near me and goes back to sleep.

Peach would be furious if I did this and didn't feed her lol

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 23, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pudding also responds to Puds, Puddypuss, argh, HEY, OH NO, and Pudding why.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

FelicityGS posted:

It's me, I have Lucky and Toaster both trained to look at me when they hear their respective names because it's easier to do trick training when they're watching my hands vs staring at random unseen entity #5.

Mine comes running when he hears his name. I figured it was important to teach him if I could, so that I'd have half a chance of getting him out safely if there was an emergency.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TofuDiva posted:

Mine comes running when he hears his name. I figured it was important to teach him if I could, so that I'd have half a chance of getting him out safely if there was an emergency.

By this logic my cats think their name is the shaking of the treat packet or possibly the opening of a tin

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly goes by Milly, hey you, kitty, idiot, gremlin and tchk tchk tchk

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Organza Quiz posted:

By this logic my cats think their name is the shaking of the treat packet or possibly the opening of a tin

Wal there ya go, whatever works :tipshat:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our cat was named Honey by the shelter that picked her up, I doubt she had any association with that name in the short time she had it.
She now comes when I call her most of the time, but not when my SO does. I think it's my voice she listens to, but he's trying to train her to come when he whistles.

We have a thousand nicknames for the cat and none flattering. Suddenly I'm reminded of the time my bf came home from work and didn't see I had friends over, he picked Katya up and went "WHO'S MY FAT LITTLE TRASH BABY??" and then "Oh. Hi."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Our cat was named Honey by the shelter that picked her up, I doubt she had any association with that name in the short time she had it.
She now comes when I call her most of the time, but not when my SO does. I think it's my voice she listens to, but he's trying to train her to come when he whistles.

We have a thousand nicknames for the cat and none flattering. Suddenly I'm reminded of the time my bf came home from work and didn't see I had friends over, he picked Katya up and went "WHO'S MY FAT LITTLE TRASH BABY??" and then "Oh. Hi."

Friends who don't understand that cherished pet cats are also stupid little trash idiots clearly have never owned cats

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I don't think they 'got' it but it was very funny none the less, poor bf was embarrassed tho. Idk why, she IS a fat little trash baby.

My friend-group is pretty split on liking cats, there's my fellow cat-ladies (m/f), a bunch of 'dogs and dogs only' people, and the unlucky handful that are allergic to anything with fur and need to dose themselves before visiting. For some reason the dog-likers all tolerate our cat because she doesn't sneak up on them, isn't mean, and can do tricks. She's a gateway cat. :getin:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

The lil trash diva herself.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah a lot of people have a bad experience with mean/reclusive cats and decide they don't like them. Just had that conversation with some cousins last night.

My pretty lovely kitty is also a great gateway cat, she's never ever hissed, clawed, or gotten defensive. She'll let anyone pet or play with her. Most of the time she just wants to curl up in my lap and groom/nap, very much a lap cat.

I plan to work on some clicker training, she's very treat-motivated so I should be able to train her.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I have about an 8ish year old cat (Don) that has been living as the only pet in my place for ~3 years. Don is very shy/timid/a scaredy cat, but is very sweet and playful when you get to know him. About a month and a half ago I got a 2nd cat as I am away at work all day and often go out in the evening and wanted Don to not be bored/lonely. 2nd cat (Jill) is around 2 and pretty wild and outgoing (she seamed so calm and friendly at the rescue place, but was recovering from being spayed). Integrating the two has not been going well. Had them in separate room and tried to slowly introduce them, but they ended up fighting so we gave them more separate time. Now whenever I try to get them in the same room, Don runs and hides where it would be hard to separate them if they fight so I've been hesitant to let them be in the same room together. Any tips? I've been using the feliway multicat diffusers and the nature's miracle calming spray.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They might never get along. Adult cats tend to be very set in their ways regarding their feelings about other cats, and if you're going to introduce a new cat to another adult cat, it should either be a kitten or a cat that's more easygoing and not territorial - and even then, your old cat might just TOLERATE the new one.

You should probably take a step back and take the integration a lot slower. Set up a situation where they can see each other but not interact.

dxt posted:

About a month and a half ago I got a 2nd cat as I am away at work all day and often go out in the evening and wanted Don to not be bored/lonely.

Honestly as long as you give him attention and play with him when you're there, he's probably fine as an only cat. I'll bet he just sleeps most of the day. The 2nd cat might just end up taking your attention time away from him.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not quite sure why the 'adult cats need a friend' thought persists. Cats in the wild tend to be solitary and even the large clowders of feral cats are more a function of territory being scarce but food supply being abundant.

I hate to suggest it, but you might want to consider returning the new cat or finding it a different home. It would probably be in the best interest of both cats.

Edit - the other thought I have would be that you probably should have gotten another boy cat instead of a girl. In my experience, female cats are dominant over most males and so Don may be feeling like he's had his place usurped. But I am also a little biased against girl cats because I've had 3 of them over the course of my life and known a few more and they were all completely insane and full of various anxieties and issues.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 23, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cats are weird and being indoors they can become stir crazy just like a dog and need attention. I can tell when Milly hasn't been played with enough as she'll get really needy and cuddly almost to an annoying degree. Having a 2nd cat as a playmate can alleviate this a bit, and if they get along super well will mutual groom, cuddle puddle, etc and its cute.

It's the old "cats are assholes, get two" thing, which is especially key for kittens.

And then after all of that, some cats just like being the only one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dxt posted:

I have about an 8ish year old cat (Don) that has been living as the only pet in my place for ~3 years. Don is very shy/timid/a scaredy cat, but is very sweet and playful when you get to know him. About a month and a half ago I got a 2nd cat as I am away at work all day and often go out in the evening and wanted Don to not be bored/lonely. 2nd cat (Jill) is around 2 and pretty wild and outgoing (she seamed so calm and friendly at the rescue place, but was recovering from being spayed). Integrating the two has not been going well. Had them in separate room and tried to slowly introduce them, but they ended up fighting so we gave them more separate time. Now whenever I try to get them in the same room, Don runs and hides where it would be hard to separate them if they fight so I've been hesitant to let them be in the same room together. Any tips? I've been using the feliway multicat diffusers and the nature's miracle calming spray.

Fighting is normal, particularly at first as they're establishing territory and roles. As long as there isn't blood, leave them alone and let them fight. It's part of cats being cats.

Once they get it out of their systems they'll start getting along better (as in only hissing and swatting at each other). It's unrealistic to expect them to be buddies. That happens rarely. The usual outcome is they learn to tolerate each others' presence.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Fighting is normal, particularly at first as they're establishing territory and roles. As long as there isn't blood, leave them alone and let them fight. It's part of cats being cats.

Once they get it out of their systems they'll start getting along better (as in only hissing and swatting at each other).

Not always the case. One of my cats had such extreme problems with two previous cats (roommates' cats) that they had to be separated at all times, or else he would start marking EVERYTHING in the house. It never, ever got any better despite our efforts to introduce them correctly, and their fights got worse as time went on.

But if it's a cat he's known since it was a kitten, or a non-territorial cat, he's fine.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I definitely don't want to take Jill back, already becoming attached to her.

Neither cat seems overly territorial, Jill doesn't seem all that interested in Don. The fighting happened when Jill was playing with a ball toy that rolled a little too close to Don when she tried to grab it Don attacked. I don't think the fighting went well for Don since now he just hides whenever they are in the same room.

I'll try putting Jill in a room with glass doors (glass panels in with a wooden frame, not just a big chunk of glass). I was keeping her in their for awhile, but one of the windows is missing and she escaped through the paper I used to cover it. Will try to do a better job blocking the hole.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

are hypoallergenic cats a thing, I love cats but I am allergic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They are a thing. You can also take allergy meds everyday and wash your hands everytime you touch the cat, my mom does this.

https://www.homeoanimal.com/blogs/blog-pet-health/14-hypoallergenic-cat-breeds

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's also highly variable, you'll want to go stick your face in any given cat before taking it home.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Roll up to a shelter like excuse me, can I try on your cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

I'm fairly allergic to cats: I start sniffling and my eyes get irritated. Once I went to an exceptionally dirty house with cat hair covering everything (gross!), and I started to have trouble breathing.

Recently, I got a pair of Siberian kittens! In the visit, I didn't have a reaction and my fiance was absolutely smitten, so we ended up bringing them home. I had some mild reaction for the first few days, but it seems like I've adapted and no longer need to take allergy medicine.

I do take some extra steps to try to mitigate my allergies, but I've slacked off on this lately and seem to be fine:
- brush the cats daily
- running air purifier
- daily roomba vacuums and weekly actual vacuums
- I apply this "Allerpet" spray on the cats weekly; no idea if it actually works. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GL5BHH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
- wash my hands after I handle the cats

Cat tax:

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 24, 2019