Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Wow great page, such pretty snakes and spiders, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

I like your topeyes, honey.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

This little guy (or gal?) was making a big racket outside my place. With sound!

It's so wonderful how the trees and bushes are filled with critters all screaming out the equivalent of "Hey! Please come gently caress me!"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Didn't see the other spider it was munchin' on until I expanded the thumbnail

"Look, I'm Zoidberg! WOOP WOOPWOOPWOOP :zoid:"

The Zombie Guy posted:

It's so wonderful how the trees and bushes are filled with critters all screaming out the equivalent of "Hey! Please come gently caress me!"

Bugs: i rubbed my legs together pls respond

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Captain Invictus posted:

and weevil 2, this guy was legit big, not sure what the biggest weevil in the world is(probably some massive tropical/madagascar species) but this guy was pretty sizeable compared to every other weevil I've ever seen

Your weevil is a Curculio or very something close to that genus. Don't know the American specis, but check the descriptions and distributions and you could probably nail the species.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6682/bgpage

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Just found this thread, I'm just in love with all these beautiful shots of cute arthropods! Makes me want to go out for a quick search but unfortunately there's an extremely high number of yellowjackets out and about and they tend to be a bit ornery this time of year due to the changing of the seasons.

They're beautiful and lovely insects but I'm allergic!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sorry for the poo poo quality, but I was trying to snap a quick shot of this guy before he skittered away. Never seen a spider with red legs around here before, and this one crawls out from under the desk at work.

Anyone recognize what this guy may be?

This is in Ontario, Canada.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Zombie Guy posted:

Sorry for the poo poo quality, but I was trying to snap a quick shot of this guy before he skittered away. Never seen a spider with red legs around here before, and this one crawls out from under the desk at work.

Anyone recognize what this guy may be?

This is in Ontario, Canada.

The color fits, and I believe I make out the huge chompers of the wood louse hunter, Dysdera crocata :kimchi: see slo-tek’s ID below

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 18, 2019

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

the yeti posted:

The color fits, and I believe I make out the huge chompers of the wood louse hunter, Dysdera crocata :kimchi:

I'd go with a Broad Faced Sac Spider.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1409515

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slo-Tek posted:

I'd go with a Broad Faced Sac Spider.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1409515

gently caress yeah you’re right :shobon:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Wish I could've got a pic before he skittered off but there was the teeniest, tiniest little jumping spider on my bedroom window blinds earlier. Like, body small enough to fit through the holes in the window screen if he wanted to. He was a quick little sucker too, I ended up opening my window so he could escape safely & go hunting for some other bugs...he kinda sat on my window for a minute like "what dis clear ting i cannot go past" it was adorable :3:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Usually I tolerate one or two house spiders in my bathroom in the summer to deal with the flying swamp creatures that always sneak in when I put my dogs out through there at night but this year its all these huge long-jawed orb weavers which somehow keep finding their way in. They won't just tend to one web in a quiet corner for a while like normal, respectable spiders; they insist on moving around and building new webs across the bathroom overnight, or just dangling from a strand of web in the doorway like Tom Cruise at the end of mission impossible waiting for me to get up for a piss at night. Idiots. They are the worst spiders. If you wanna be a big, webby spider, please take a lesson from the house spider, the barn spider and the garden spider. Build one nice web in a good spot that you can be proud of and stick to it, and maybe people will stop smashing you with a shoe

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Two giant house spiders appeared beside my pc last week. This is one of the biggest I've seen in a while. Check out the huge trichobothria hairs :eyepop:
The big girl (i presume larger = female) sneaked up on the smaller one which kept edging away. Until the big one flanked it and faced it for a while. I thought they were either going to mate or fight but in the end they just ran seperate directions.

And today this little red dude was chilling with me on the dried lake bed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Southern house spiders look too much like insanely big brown recluses for my tastes.
Especially when you wake up at 2am and see a vague shape on the wall by your bed, hit the lights and see one looking back at you, and had never even heard of them before.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A surprisingly large number of spiders does. If it helps any, brown recluses are notoriously, well, reclusive and averse to both biting and to ever being seen. There is one infamous case of a house that was infested by literally tens of thousands of brown recluse spiders and had been for years, but nobody noticed until one - just one - of them eventually bit a child. Sheer happenstance. The place eventually had to be for-reals torn down entirely, because numerous exterminators found that there was just no humanly possible way to get all of them with conventional techniques. The bodies were counted. There genuinely were at least that many, plus any that just got overlooked.

So, even if you have brown recluses, and you might, they will likely never harm you all your life. :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
uh

Is this a crane fly?

Mother in law provided for scale

It's loving huge

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like a giant eastern crane fly, drat that's a cool bug

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah it was striking. the size / girth of the abdomen and the weird... Opaque patterns of the wings I've never seen before, this is in Hudson Valley NY

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yup, crane fly. Looks like the giantest mosquito to ever live and suck, but is actually entirely harmless. Complete vegetarians.

Also, an awful flier. Seriously, those things are bad at even staying in the air. If one of them ever manages to land on you, then you can be certain it didn't actually mean to.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

A surprisingly large number of spiders does. If it helps any, brown recluses are notoriously, well, reclusive and averse to both biting and to ever being seen. There is one infamous case of a house that was infested by literally tens of thousands of brown recluse spiders and had been for years, but nobody noticed until one - just one - of them eventually bit a child. Sheer happenstance. The place eventually had to be for-reals torn down entirely, because numerous exterminators found that there was just no humanly possible way to get all of them with conventional techniques. The bodies were counted. There genuinely were at least that many, plus any that just got overlooked.

So, even if you have brown recluses, and you might, they will likely never harm you all your life. :)
I do know all that, but not when I'm half-awake at 2am.
I'm glad not to be living in that house anymore. In addition to the usual spiders, roaches and camel crickets it had a slug infestation in the bathroom. The first one was about 4 inches long and they got progressively smaller over time, which is just weird. Would have been good for posting in this thread though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

what

Seriously, how does a bathroom even get a slug infestation. There is, like, nothing there that they actually eat.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

what

Seriously, how does a bathroom even get a slug infestation. There is, like, nothing there that they actually eat.

Towel mushrooms and mildew

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My parents' house had a water problem in the corner of the house sunk into the hillside, and slugs started showing up in their laundry room. After a couple years they got a contractor that was able to deal with the whole thing, but the slugs are still showing up even though there is no longer water coming in or a drainage problem. It's like the slugs spontaneously generate in there now or something.

Some of the slugs will show up weirdly pale, like they are rapidly evolving to be cave dwellers.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Way to be a stereotype, parsley worm...

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Alucard posted:

Way to be a stereotype, parsley worm...

pretty :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Those eyespots really have some personality!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Not wildlife but still pretty wild, and there's no active kitty thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c7NVlLjVYo

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

The Red Queen posted:

Those eyespots really have some personality!

Same genus, different species

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeBHYWUw2Kw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Telebite posted:

Not wildlife but still pretty wild, and there's no active kitty thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c7NVlLjVYo

the cat thread is in yospos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527

and the dog thread is in gip: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553037

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Yup, crane fly. Looks like the giantest mosquito to ever live and suck, but is actually entirely harmless. Complete vegetarians.

Also, an awful flier. Seriously, those things are bad at even staying in the air. If one of them ever manages to land on you, then you can be certain it didn't actually mean to.

Me & my family used to see them all the time when we lived in England, they were indeed the dumbest & most worthless fliers ever

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Me & my family used to see them all the time when we lived in England, they were indeed the dumbest & most worthless fliers ever

I hate crane flies with a passion. As far as I know they are an invasive species in the Pacific Northwest, are a lawn pest, and are the most pathetic zombie-like insect there is. Look at one of the fuckers wrong and a leg falls off. Swat one and its corpse desegments and glues itself to walls and windows. The only good thing I can think of about them is the Bewick's wrens like to eat them, and those are good birbs.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Phantom crane flies are awesome. I remember being young playing in our creek and occasionally seeing five white dots mysteriously floating in the air (they never had all six legs)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I hate crane flies with a passion. As far as I know they are an invasive species in the Pacific Northwest, are a lawn pest

There are over fifteen thousand species of cranefly and they have native ranges all over the world, including the Pacific Northwest.

You're thinking specifically of Tipula paludosa, the European cranefly, which is invasive here.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

The Real Amethyst posted:

Two giant house spiders appeared beside my pc last week. This is one of the biggest I've seen in a while. Check out the huge trichobothria hairs :eyepop:
The big girl (i presume larger = female) sneaked up on the smaller one which kept edging away. Until the big one flanked it and faced it for a while. I thought they were either going to mate or fight but in the end they just ran seperate directions.

And today this little red dude was chilling with me on the dried lake bed.

The larger spider looks more like a male though. Female house spiders are typically fatter with shorter less ganlgy legs and from what I can see yours also has a bulbous end on its pedipalps.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A western fence lizard, I believe:

It wouldn't let me get very close, but in the second pic you can see how vivid blue its belly is!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Xposting from the Herp thread:

Chaosfeather posted:

I went fishing and made a friend! I promise I released them unharmed.

I'm new to herping, any chance I can get help on IDing this critter? They are a toad of some sort, I figured out that much.

Due to location I suspect it's a juvenile female yosemite toad, but once again I've never really done this before.

Found last weekend on the northern shore of Lake Crowley in the Eastern Sierras, CA. It was about 70 degrees outside, late morning (10am?) with a little bit of wind, if any of that helps.

Is there a better thread for me to post these sorts of questions? I know this is normally the pet reptiles thread.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oop thanks, I was just about to post that. Thanks for showing me the thread!

Edit: To contribute, here are some other friends! Everyone lived.

Hungry lady mallards.

I got peenched. (I 100% deserved it, first time catching one)

Catch and release 4 lyfe. (brown trout)

Itty bitty rainbow trout.

Mule deer doe x2

Brand new to this thread - please let me know if the fish/fishing bothers you and I'll be happy to exclude them or remove them. My family is big on catch and release but we love documenting what we catch.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 3, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

We've had things like that posted here before! I love seeing those pics, that little rainbow trout is :kimchi: cute!! I think the only no-no is posting something that's gruesomely deceased. Sometimes that gets posted, too, but it's treated sorta like NWS links instead of in-post images. The focus is on the scientific, too, not for the entertainment of "hey here's a dead animal."

Welcome to the thread!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Chaosfeather posted:

Hungry lady mallards.

The one on the right is actually a male. Check the beak color. Yellow beak = male. He is in his eclipse plumage.

Telebite fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Telebite posted:

The one on the right is actually a male. Check the beak color. Yellow beak = male. He is in his eclipse plumage.

I had no idea this was a thing. This explains why I see what looks like large groups of female mallards around here sometimes. Thanks for posting it!