Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

As pointed out on Facebook, Metroplex and Fort Max can also do that pose. Also Skorp's base mode is nothing like OS's so that'd be a motherfucker of a retool.

Any Transformer with knee articulation could do that pose? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Magic posted:

JBC, you asked a minute ago about tolerances. FansToys are notoriously tight even among third parties (the “squeak” they have). In my experience, MMC is the best company about this and creating toys that feel a lot like toys. Except for a few design things that Hasbro doesn’t do, something like their Thunderclash or Tarn or Rodimus all feel like I could buy them at Target.

Guess what? You apparently can. From Target's website, anyway. Apparently TFSource

Rhyno posted:

I haven't started trying to tighten Hydra's joints yet, he was pretty pricey so I don't want to gently caress him up. Speaking of! Amazon's listing for Future is no longer active, I guess because they changed the product since I last bought it. What's the current floor shine product of choice for joint tightening?

Here's some :v:floor wax:v: for ya, buddy.

Seriously though this is the new packaging/branding.

There are multiple people asking non-floor hobby questions like "is this the same as Future Shine," etc.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 21, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Optimus Prime: Literally created to lead the Autobots, allows war to deplete planet's energy resources, crashes the Ark, allowing Decepticons to conquer Cybertron, fails to retake it
Rodimus Prime: Destroys Unicron, banishes Decepticons to a big rock in space, retakes Cybertron, manages to hold onto it. This is his first day.

We all know who the real best leader is.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Nodosaur posted:

Optimus Prime: Literally created to lead the Autobots, allows war to deplete planet's energy resources, crashes the Ark, allowing Decepticons to conquer Cybertron, fails to retake it
Rodimus Prime: Destroys Unicron, banishes Decepticons to a big rock in space, retakes Cybertron, manages to hold onto it. This is his first day.

We all know who the real best leader is.

The one who didn't get Optimus Prime killed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Keldroc posted:

The long con.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Keldroc posted:

Cuz the important Autobot that died is more important than all that other stuff.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Keldroc posted:

Prime killed himself with being unable to hit a huge target right in front of him because there was a tiny robot near the large grey one. Basically Robocop is 1000x the shot Cowboy Robot Jesus Dad is.

It's not Hot Rod's fault Optimus shoots worse than an original Dos Xcom soldier Rookie. (Or a first level TSR era DnD character at hitting anything.)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Rufus posted:

It's not Hot Rod's fault Optimus shoots worse than an original Dos Xcom soldier Rookie.
X-Com rookie would have put six rounds into Rodimus and then panicked, blowing himself up with a grenade he bounced off a wall.

Megatron would then walk into the debris and pass out from smoke inhalation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Somebody likes Jetfire.
and terrible beady-eye homunculi

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Prime killed himself with being unable to hit a huge target right in front of him because there was a tiny robot near the large grey one. Basically Robocop is 1000x the shot Cowboy Robot Jesus Dad is.

It's not Hot Rod's fault Optimus shoots worse than an original Dos Xcom soldier Rookie. (Or a first level TSR era DnD character at hitting anything.)

But it is Hot Rod's fault for thinking he could do jack poo poo against Megatron. Prime probably could have made the shot, but it's not in his nature to shoot when there was a chance Hot Rod could take the hit. And if Optimus didn't manage to come back from the dead twice Rodimus would have gotten the whole galaxy killed due to his dumb rear end getting hate-plagued. Once Rodimus is removed from the forced Hero's Journey of the movie, he becomes a borderline suicidal gently caress-up.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

never send a winnebago to do a semi truck's job. i really disliked hot rod as a kid, he had strong poochie energy, and the fact this guy who shows up out of nowhere is the one to replace optimus is lovely. i would've been even more annoyed if i didn't hadn't already seen the 'return of optimus prime' because of the order I got the tapes in.

my attitude to him has softened a lot over the years, especially after having seen more of season three where he's like 'oh god i'm a fuckup and failure' for the whole thing. he's a good double-act with ultra magnus.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I love the episode that opens with Rodimus talking about how its hard to live up to Optimus and he thinks he sucks and then Ultra Magnus walks over and goes "its fine dude, its not that easy" and it zooms out and Rodimus is just next to an absolutely huge golden statue of Optimus. Incredible.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I love the episode that opens with Rodimus talking about how its hard to live up to Optimus and he thinks he sucks and then Ultra Magnus walks over and goes "its fine dude, its not that easy" and it zooms out and Rodimus is just next to an absolutely huge golden statue of Optimus. Incredible.

yeah i think they did a great job of fleshing out what could have been an awful character. i also liked what they did with galvatron being genuinely mentally ill, and cyclonus as his very concerned life partner. cyclonus is a long term fave of mine, and i love him in both the cartoon and the idw comics. the IDW redesign of him is killer too, with the more skeletal samurai look.

I really like him, galvatron, and arcee as ancient cybertronian barbarians. now I just have to decide between the fans toys cyclonus or the mmc one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MMC Cyclonus is baaaaaad. As the resident MMC fanboy you can skip that toy.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
That, plus FansToys Quietus is loving sensational and also comes with optional IDW parts and head if that’s your bag.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Magic posted:

That, plus FansToys Quietus is loving sensational and also comes with optional IDW parts and head if that’s your bag.

He's also sold out and pricey as poo poo right now. But SUPPOSEBLY there's another reissue coming next year.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maketoys Cross Dimension Cyclonus when?

Oh, at this rate, never. gently caress.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Has anyone found out what the hell is up with MakeToys these days?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

Has anyone found out what the hell is up with MakeToys these days?

Nobody can figure it out but they did release Solar Storm recently.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

how do you folks feel about base modes for transformers? i've never been a big fan, even as a kid. stuff like optimus' trailer battle station were cool, cause you still had optimus himself to play with, but with the ones where the entire robot becomes the base it's like 'ah yes, i have lost access to this character, but i now have them doing the splits to use as a base'. it makes more sense for the big cityformers, who were usually in city mode in the show, but for other guys it just seemed tacked on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't care for any of the TR base modes on the leader class bots. But on Titans it rules. I wish they'd been able to retool Fort Max a bit better so he had towers.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’ve never liked any base mode regardless of size. Never really saw the point.

It’s weird because I used to really like Mighty Max and also the Z Bots (who had a few bases).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Magic posted:

I don't get it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That building has an erection.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

waiting for my MP scale metroplex that is the size of an office building and requires a team of stout men 24 hours to transform

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think base modes would work better if Transformers in general had a more consistent sense of scale. The idea of robots so big they're bases and cities for other robots is cool, but the effect is somewhat lessened when the only robots that can interact with it are super tiny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh god, it's scale discussion

PULL UP THREAD PULL UP

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's not an issue of realistic scale, it's the issue of toy-to-base scale.

Micromaster bases weren't so bad because all of the guys you'd use with it are very small so you could have like 10 guys hanging out at the base. Metroplex could have one scramble city limb sized guy in his chest hole (normally his little fella) and then like 4 more just hanging off him. Actionmaster stuff wasn't so bad for the same reason, the toys were all the same size so they could all hang out.

Manta Force and Mighty Max worked because you didn't have one toy as big as the entire thing that didn't work and hosed up the fun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Where do you think the size arms race takes us in 2 years?

6 foot TF toy?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've always thought that it's more how base modes really skimp on the aesthetics to convince you that it's no longer a robot and that it's some kind of city or highway intersection or military base or gun emplacement instead of a robot doing yoga. Like the robots look like cars because they have sculpted bits and paint, whereas there isn't that consideration for most base modes.

I've only seen one that actually uses stickers to try to pretend it's a skyscraper. Omega Supreme actually makes the effort to create a distinct roadway with a clear path and a rocket so that his central building doesn't look like just a weird lump. Titans Return Broadside is a great illustration of the principle, his carrier mode wouldn't look much like a carrier without the decoration on the surface, and then his jetmode has weird lumps that make it look less like a jet, but it still makes the efforts to include bits like the wings and cockpit that are just kibble in his robot mode. Most basemodes don't leave much like that to convince the viewer.

Without anything to really sell the appearance, the only thing left to define it as a base is play features, and those suffer from inconsistent robot size. I remember with Armada, there weren't many minicons other than sparkplug that could actually use Optimus's pants trailer docking bay, and I don't think I ever found one that could really fit in Megatron's weird grabby thing in his leg.

EthanSteele posted:

Manta Force and Mighty Max worked because you didn't have one toy as big as the entire thing that didn't work and hosed up the fun.

The inside of a Mighty Max thing also has at least five times the amount of paint apps as a Transformer and more consistently functional play features. It's a shame that genre of toys mostly died out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GD_American posted:

6 foot TF toy?

Maybe not 6 ft but that 3D printed Metroplex is absolutely going to end up being mass produced on some scale.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Aren't we forgetting that we're putting the task of what a toy has to pull off versus however it's done in animation?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GD_American posted:

6 foot TF toy?

A Soundwave to go with this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o88F0gLp-N8

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've always thought that it's more how base modes really skimp on the aesthetics to convince you that it's no longer a robot and that it's some kind of city or highway intersection or military base or gun emplacement instead of a robot doing yoga. Like the robots look like cars because they have sculpted bits and paint, whereas there isn't that consideration for most base modes.

I've only seen one that actually uses stickers to try to pretend it's a skyscraper.

Brave Max?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

EthanSteele posted:

It's not an issue of realistic scale, it's the issue of toy-to-base scale.

Micromaster bases weren't so bad because all of the guys you'd use with it are very small so you could have like 10 guys hanging out at the base. Metroplex could have one scramble city limb sized guy in his chest hole (normally his little fella) and then like 4 more just hanging off him. Actionmaster stuff wasn't so bad for the same reason, the toys were all the same size so they could all hang out.

Exactly

GD_American posted:

6 foot TF toy?

Personally I hope it goes the opposite direction and everything goes small scale

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Has anyone ever tried making a diorama of like a city or a landscape for baseformers to fit into? I've always wondered how that'd look if these weird lumps would actually integrate into an environment.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone make an OSKO of fansproject monstructor? monstructor is rad as hell but i would like him to be a big bobby.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I hope it goes the opposite direction and everything goes small scale

Hunh yeah, what the hell ever happened to WST?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

drrockso20 posted:

MAKE
MORE
CHEAP
LEGENDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

everybody was kung fu fighting!

edit: huh, double evil's vehicle modes are surprisingly well MP scaled:

i guess its a fairly small fighter plane, but still within the bounds of reason. the countach is a decently sized car, like all lambos are.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 23, 2019