Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Again, the dude who shot up the Aurora screening was not dressed as the Joker...

AngryBooch posted:

The problem is that you're repeating an urban myth...

My bad, that's on me. I don't know how I missed that.

That being said no one in this thread is saying Joker should be banned in the name of fascism, more that it appears to be pretty tone deaf and thats one of the many things that can make a movie bad.

We're still dissecting the poo poo out of comic book movie trailers in this thread right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not like they need an excuse. We have daily mass shootings at this point, blaming movies seems like it's missing the mark.
I find it hard to believe that there's someone who is currently incapable of a mass shooting that will do it after they see Joker, that just seems overblown.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was gonna make a post about mass shootings, but then i decided to look up mass shooting stats and now I'm depressed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If Tony Hawk did a 1080 kick flip nose ollie for evil reasons it would still be a good trick

It's called a 1080 nollie flip, please respect Evil Tony Hawk by using proper skateboarding nomenclature.

I don't like the whole "Joker is gonna create mass shooters" because 1) that's not how media works, like, at all, and 2) if you're concerned about how a group of people are going to receive a piece of media with a problematic protagonist, maybe it ain't a great idea to help that be a self-fulfilling prophecy by legit making those people be interested in "repping" the character the ~liberals~ hate when you know that's their MO.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If Tony Hawk did a 1080 kick flip nose ollie for evil reasons it would still be a good trick

Pretty much this. If he had succeeded I'd be willing to just let him off with a stern talking to and mental wellness care for his other behaviour.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ancientcarelord/status/1175161538816004096?s=20

its less 'oh no this will motivate people to be shitheads' and more 'do you really want shitheads to have icons?'

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

its less 'oh no this will motivate people to be shitheads' and more 'do you really want shitheads to have icons?'

this is amazingly close to a precise real world analogue for the comedian’s smiley face button

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ultimate take: the joker and the smiley face are both equally malicious icons

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Synthbuttrange posted:

People make icons out of everything, appropriate or not. Should we just not make iconic works any more because of this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

People make icons out of everything, appropriate or not. Should we just not make iconic works any more because of this?

Yes. Burn society to the ground.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CelticPredator posted:

Early Christian iconoclasts did nothing wrong.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I'm the thin blue line Punisher icon, the character who'd just machine gun the poo poo out of the Joker icon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yes. Burn society to the ground.

but........we live in society

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

sticksy posted:

I'm the thin blue line Punisher icon, the character who'd just machine gun the poo poo out of the Joker icon.

this guy probably has the punisher skull on his car

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll cease and desist Spider-Man on a 5 year old's grave but the mentally broken serial killer on cop cars, no problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

but........we live in society

We can move

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

this guy probably has the punisher skull on his car

It’s a sticker right next to the Joker patch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a customer with a huge Hydra logo on the trunk lid of his car.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s a sticker right next to the Joker patch.

oh lol yup, didnt even notice

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

I had one as my phone wallpaper for a while, but that was because it was just after the big Hydra takeover in Agents of Shield and I'm a massive dork. Shield lock screen, Hydra after unlocking.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nerds love fascist imagery, just look at the 501st.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nerds love fascist imagery, just look at the 501st.

Try explaining fascism to a group of jackasses that cosplay an oppressive military force.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Try explaining fascism to a group of jackasses that cosplay an oppressive military force.

The only good thing about the 501st is that they do a lot of charity work, hospital visits, etc. But you’re still wearing pseudo-Nazi uniforms and armor literally named after Nazi troops, so :yikes:

Basically, Rebel Legion is the only morally correct SW cosplay group :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stormtroopers are from WW1. Not good, but not nazi.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

Stormtroopers are from WW1. Not good, but not nazi.

Nazis still used “Storm Detachment” in the early years.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bruceski posted:

I had one as my phone wallpaper for a while, but that was because it was just after the big Hydra takeover in Agents of Shield and I'm a massive dork. Shield lock screen, Hydra after unlocking.

That's a wholesome joke. Would make me chuckle irl.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I saw this earlier this year at the Phoenix Comic-con. I couldn't figure out if I liked it or it horrified me, maybe because I didn't see the owner and how "committed" to the gimmick he was.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

sticksy posted:

I saw this earlier this year at the Phoenix Comic-con. I couldn't figure out if I liked it or it horrified me, maybe because I didn't see the owner and how "committed" to the gimmick he was.

Yeah but, empire aside, was killing off the jedi order actually a bad thing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You guys get spooked at Disney world when stormtroopers come rolling around while you mow down on some Dole whip?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only good thing about the 501st is that they do a lot of charity work, hospital visits, etc. But you’re still wearing pseudo-Nazi uniforms and armor literally named after Nazi troops, so :yikes:

Where's my loving Sgt. Rock/Easy Company movie, DC?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm sure someone out there right now is smiling cheerfully in their black turtleneck and polishing their big plastic alien head, getting ready for a wholesome evening of jizz wailing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
At this point I'm mostly just tired of hearing about the Joker film. Mostly I just, y'know, don't feel like thinking about it at all.

Regardless of whether it directly perpetuates violence though, I reserve the right to criticize it for its portrayal of mental illness, should it be relevant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

AlternateNu posted:

Where's my loving Sgt. Rock/Easy Company movie, DC?

Sgt Fury and the Howling Commandos were in the new Tarantino movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The weird thing is he looks directly in the caves and says "Dont try this at home, kiddos!" After each violent act the camera pans over to Patrick Leahy who says "That was inappropriate and despite that man's struggles I wouldn't really be able to root for him after that, unless you mean root for a better mental health care system"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1176249150876409856

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nice, jeffrey wright owns

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'd watch him read the dictionary.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuckin' A, that rules

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hell yeah, this movie keeps getting better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I kinda want to see him play Batman instead.