Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

I slept in this thing last night and it felt like a weird premonition of things to come.

It also felt kind of like I was on the Nostromo.

idk about anyone else but I absolutely love the idea of sleeping in a very small cozy space

wanna build something like this for my bed, with
-good ventilation
-power outlets
-blackout capability
-cat door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I slept in this thing last night and it felt like a weird premonition of things to come.

...what country?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

time cook: 7:45

Peanut Butler posted:

wanna build something like this for my bed, with
-good ventilation
-power outlets
-blackout capability
-cat door

it's called a 'fort', noob

and mines better

Feral Integral has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Sep 22, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

...what country?

Japan. I was surrounded by slumbering salarymen.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Necrothatcher posted:

Japan. I was surrounded by slumbering salarymen.

"Slumbering Salarymen" would be a good book/album title

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Necrothatcher posted:

I've always wanted to spend a night in a coffin-hotel like that, just for the experience.

I have no desire to live in one, though.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Kitfox88 posted:

I’m broken as poo poo because one of those pod apartments with a bed and desk w/ communal space for cooking/washrooms/exercise/etc seem pretty fine for me at least

Me reading the beginning of neuromancer: hmm, yes, wow, sounds good, can’t wait

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Judge Dredd already outdid Neuromancer by including a hose thing that let you poo poo while in the bed.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm a fan of self-contained hybrid residential/commercial megastructure type developments like Cosmo Park in Jakarta:

Definitely dystopian but I just think it's really neat to look at!!!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

aren't they moving the Indonesian capital away from Jakarta because it's literally sinking into the ocean?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I've always wanted to spend a night in a coffin-hotel like that, just for the experience.

I have no desire to live in one, though.

wait til the ones that revolve away and stack you with the others, only coming down again when your time is up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

finally, a comfortable hotel for vampires

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

It's fun to stay at the YMCA!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Necrothatcher posted:

If we're ever going to live on other planets/moons, this is what the sleeping quarters are going to look like for the 99%, so get used to it.

Artemis (by Andy Weir, who also wrote The Martian) has great descriptions of the living conditions on a big moonbase complex.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

If we're ever going to live on other planets/moons, this is what the sleeping quarters are going to look like for the 99%, so get used to it.

Artemis (by Andy Weir, who also wrote The Martian) has great descriptions of the living conditions on a big moonbase complex.

Asimov in The Gods Themselves has people living on the moon (who have A+ titties and look twenty years younger due to the low gravity) and the ones born and raised there can't fathom the idea of living under a sky. Some also have their teeth removed because they not needed to consume the algae paste that makes up their diet. Anyway it's cool how alien the humans on the earth/moon become to each other despite being the same species.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Silicon Valley has the largest percentage of millennials that actually deserve to feel lovely and scared all the time, yet are the only ones in their age demo that can afford to do something about it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

how do people have this little self-awareness

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

problem: people are miserable due to loneliness and alienation, partly driven by faceless algorithms reshaping our day-to-day lives

solution: numbers-driven therapy apps!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Asimov in The Gods Themselves has people living on the moon (who have A+ titties and look twenty years younger due to the low gravity) and the ones born and raised there can't fathom the idea of living under a sky. Some also have their teeth removed because they not needed to consume the algae paste that makes up their diet. Anyway it's cool how alien the humans on the earth/moon become to each other despite being the same species.

General structure of The Gods Themselves:

Part 1. Setup.
Part 2. Absolutely brilliant science fiction: fascinating, thought provoking and well ahead of its time.
Part 3. Asimov phones in a conclusion using his stock character types.

The bit you describe is in Part 3.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Me reading the beginning of neuromancer: hmm, yes, wow, sounds good, can’t wait

never read it cause I’m lame like that. anyway I know it’s certainly not for everyone or even a majority but in my case I’d be fine with it since I personally don’t need much space. ofc in real life places like that are most likely also run down shitholes with landlords not maintaining them so well

Law_Violator
Sep 22, 2019

This cyberpunk hellworld would be a lot cooler if it were more pastel...

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

theres a similar issue with dystopian scifi as anti-war war films, in that neither exist in the sense the main consumers will always consume them in service of a fantasy

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Necrothatcher posted:

So how was Fhloston Paradise?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

GamingHyena posted:

:five:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I feel like both capitalist and gay-space-communist factions fail to understand how necessary it is for us to have a relationship with the natural world and see trees, plants, animals, water, etc.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Neon Noodle posted:

I feel like both capitalist and gay-space-communist factions fail to understand how necessary it is for us to have a relationship with the natural world and see trees, plants, animals, water, etc.

Well the natural world won't really exist in a generation or two so its probably best to get over it

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Part 1. Setup.
Part 2. Absolutely brilliant science fiction: fascinating, thought provoking and well ahead of its time.

I get it. You like em flat. That's fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GamingHyena posted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Powered Descent posted:

Part 1. Setup.

This is literally every Asimov story, let's be real here.

Also if anyone hadn't watched the expanse do it right now

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

This is literally every Asimov story, let's be real here.

Also if anyone hadn't watched the expanse do it right now

I'm only halfway through the first season but read the first 5 books and think the books handled the dystopia way better, not least because a lot of the characters just don't realize they're in one. Either way though, it's good!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

New Moon is pretty similar too, it's about a bunch of ultra capitalist oligarchs that rule the moon like a modern day Venetian Republic

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ad astra is being called by the director as the most realistic space movie, the moon base has an applebees and a hudson news in it, thats probably going to end up the most realistic part if we ever have a moon base

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The first couple of episodes of The Expanse almost turned me off of it, but it really takes off by the fourth episode, it’s fantastic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duz posted:

ad astra is being called by the director as the most realistic space movie, the moon base has an applebees and a hudson news in it, thats probably going to end up the most realistic part if we ever have a moon base

also it has escalators. on the moon. lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

duz posted:

If space is going to have Applebee's instead of literally anything better maybe space travel is bullshit

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Imagine the incredible feeling of going into space, looking down and seeing the entirety of Earth before you, it's skies and blue oceans and landscapes on display and it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.

And then the concourse doors open and there's a loving Applebee's there.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its ok there'll also be an outback steakhouse

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also a subway if you dont have time to sit down

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well I do love blooming onions....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Imagine the incredible feeling of going into space, looking down and seeing the entirety of Earth before you, it's skies and blue oceans and landscapes on display and it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.

And then the concourse doors open and there's a loving Applebee's there.
this is unironically the best shot in Jurassic World, the only time in the entire movie the original , iconic John Williams scpre gets trotted out is a crane shot that reveals a loving Margaritaville right as the music swells