Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Trains are cheap af what are you talking about? Also, they run on your electric grid so no need to maintain an extra fuel supply line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

Is there a practical use case for trains, or would I always be better off just using a truck?

The cost of rails compared to just having a truck chugging along by itself seems to rule out trains ever being economical.

Trains have significantly higher throughput thanks to being able to have multiple cars and the fact that each loading station has 2 inputs and outputs. Rails are also incredibly cheap and transmit power between stations allowing you to use your rail system to deliver power to new bases that you're setting up.

Trains are also the fastest objects in the game at the time of this post.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I added so many storage buffers to my civilization while building train stations that all the idle constructors activated and caused a series of blackouts. (My power capacity readout was not accurate because turbofuel ran out due to the compacted coal train having pathing trouble on a perfectly fine track.)

During the blackouts, all my trucks ran out of fuel and I had to run around the continent refueling them. They might have survived if they ran on batteries, but I don't know how I would get battery materials to one place without trains.

In conclusion, trains solve slightly more problems than they create.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
By the time I got to trains the cost of track was tiny. But also by the time I got there there was no real reason for me to use trains because there aren’t enough end game goals to keep me interested in continuing to expand

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Remember that trains are supposed to be the mid-end game. There are more tiers still that will need exotic materials.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just set up my first track :toot:

Whoever said it was cheap af was huffing farts from the end of the tech tree. Compared to having a tractor, it was pretty expensive. Tons of Computers, Heavy Frames and 4 stacks each of steel rails and pipes isn't nothing at mid game.

Looking forward to having these running across the entire map. That space elevator is a hungry beast and my starting zone just isn't proving enough anymore.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

Just set up my first track :toot:

Whoever said it was cheap af was huffing farts from the end of the tech tree. Compared to having a tractor, it was pretty expensive. Tons of Computers, Heavy Frames and 4 stacks each of steel rails and pipes isn't nothing at mid game.

Looking forward to having these running across the entire map. That space elevator is a hungry beast and my starting zone just isn't proving enough anymore.

Rails are cheap, no one said anything about the train itself.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

If you can't afford the train itself you can always still run along the track you made and pretend you're the train. That could be fun.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Wrr posted:

If you can't afford the train itself you can always still run along the track you made and pretend you're the train. That could be fun.

They should add those manual lever powered train cars like in the old bugs bunny cartoons.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

VegasGoat posted:

They should add those manual lever powered train cars like in the old bugs bunny cartoons.

Only if they enable the rebar gun shots to change the track switches.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

VegasGoat posted:

just give me rollerskates and let me fire my jetpack to boost down the track

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They just dropped a new patch on the experimental branch. Train fixes! Mass dismantle! Lots of good stuff in this.

quote:

Hey Pioneers!

Here we go. A bunch of Train fixes & improvements are live on Experimental now! BUT WAIT, there is an important thing we have to talk about first: Backup your saves, because we are messing with them.
Butt Saves are a thing now, but for those to work we have to compress and move your save files. You can read all about it on our blog and/or watch the video we made on the topic:

https://www.satisfactorygame.com/blog
https://youtu.be/t1LfyNfuMVQ

We are about as certain as we can be that your files won’t get lost. But we mess up all the time, so.... Backing them up is the certain way of making sure you lose none of your progress. Seriously, do it.

Minor Patch Info - Train fixes & Butt Saves
Now let’s talk about the rest of the patch. The Train fixes should make them more performant and eliminate a whole bunch of bugs. Yes, also the switch bug that creates ghost cars running around your tracks. While this is the best version of trains so far, there are many more things we want to improve on in the future. For now, we’ll be working on other things but we are certainly coming back to Trains later down the road.
The AI of the Trains that you have already built will be turned off. You can turn them back on in the stations or in the Trains themselves.

We also added a Mass Dismantle feature we’d like you all to try out. This should help you with refactoring all those gigantic factories!

Hope you’ll have a great time with these fixes and the game until the new content will hit this December!

SAVE SYSTEM
• Save files will now be compressed
• Old saves will be migrated over to new save folder structure

TRAIN CHANGES
• Feature, you can have the AI enabled while being inside the train.
• Tweak, self driving calculations improved for better brake prediction, this shortens the brake distances and fixes some problems going uphill or downhill.
• Optimization, self driving logic is rewritten in c++.
• Optimization, sound no longer plays when the train is not close to a player.
• Crashfix, orphaned switch controls sometimes caused crashes.
• Crashfix, game crashes when dismantling a track in the AI's path.
• Bugfix, only one AI per train, fixes the edge case where 2 AI's would try to drive the same train.
• Bugfix, trains sometimes runs to fast and misses the station, this made them unreliable, now the AI brake better and the station catches the train.
• Bugfix, if a train is split in half at a switch the train is repositioned back together (this is a temporary fix until we can get proper train collision and signalling in)
• Bugfix, fixed case where player character could get destroyed while driving a train near water.
• Bugfix, cannot use build gun after being inside a train near water.
• Bugfix, train now save their velocity so they keep moving when loaded.
• Bugfix, integrated track of the station does not cost anything now.

OTHER BUG FIXES
• Fixed issue with biomass burner not rendering at times
• Client side issue with inventory not updating for miners
• Fixed issue with Splitters/Mergers not snapping properly to foundations when using guidelines

QUALITY OF LIFE
• Mass dismantle. Hold left-ctrl while aiming to mark objects to dismantle.

LANGUAGES
• Updated the localisation files for all languages

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lol did you copy that changelog with the cloud-to-butt plugin active :yayclod: :butt:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The mass disassembly is fun. Of course, it works a lot better when your inventory isn't already full...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Neat! Now they just need blueprints and to make power poles significantly less tedious (there's no penalty for building lots of them other than your sanity in clicking all the individual hookups) and the game will be significantly better.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

lol did you copy that changelog with the cloud-to-butt plugin active :yayclod: :butt:

Whoops, I always forget I have that thing on :butt:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Taffer posted:

:yaybutt:

Slightly excited for being able to ride trains without standing on top of them or having to drive them myself. Still want a dedicated passenger car.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

nielsm posted:

:yaybutt:

Slightly excited for being able to ride trains without standing on top of them or having to drive them myself. Still want a dedicated passenger car.

Amtrak took our loving dining cars; Satisfactory please give them to us and let me dream

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The cloud saves and train fixes are in the stable branch now, so it's a good time to back up your saves and prep for December's next tier upgrade.

Also, this guy continues to be a delightful monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2oF-eZTD8

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus christ. I want to just... fix it all

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

dogstile posted:

Jesus christ. I want to just... fix it all

If it ain't broke, you cant fix it ~

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That video singlehandedly got me to just buy the game so its time to make a nice looking factory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LonsomeSon posted:

If it ain't broke, you cant ficsit ~

Come on dude.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So played around a bit this weekend. The train changes are nice. There's not a big autopilot on/off button in the stations for each train, which is nice when you want to keep a complicated route stored in the train, but don't need it running right this moment. Everything defaults to 'autopilot off', though, so if you've already got train routes set up, you'll need to turn the autopilot on or everything will run out of material.

I completely dismantled my original base and am slowly rebuilding it to be more efficient. My secondary base is still cranking out turbo motors and supercomputers in the mean time, but I want to have two of them running at max capacity for the eventual load when the next tier comes out. I'm getting close to hitting 780 oil/minute on my secondary base, so I'll either need to mess with alternate recipes to make cheaper rubber, or I'll have to switch to a dual-belt system to handle the increased load.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's been a while since I've visited the game - are there blueprints, yet?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

totalnewbie posted:

It's been a while since I've visited the game - are there blueprints, yet?

There's mass deconstruct.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But no construction? Boooo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bobulus posted:

The cloud saves and train fixes are in the stable branch now, so it's a good time to back up your saves and prep for December's next tier upgrade.

Also, this guy continues to be a delightful monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2oF-eZTD8

That’s a good video

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Actually, why people are active, are cloud saves working right for y'all? For me, every single time I exit and reopen Satisfactory, Epic thinks the local copy and cloud copy are out of sync, even though they're literally the same time stamp. Just Epic being lovely?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Actually, why people are active, are butt saves working right for y'all? For me, every single time I exit and reopen Satisfactory, Epic thinks the local copy and butt copy are out of sync, even though they're literally the same time stamp. Just Epic being lovely?

I restarted a few days ago and I've gotten this message every time. Not sure what causes it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

There's mass deconstruct.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

i've heard of cloud sync errors but this is ridiculous

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Phssthpok posted:

i've heard of cloud sync errors but this is ridiculous

I think you mean "hilarious". And that's just what happens when you try to deconstruct things with no space in your inventory. GIVE ME MORE INVENTORY SLOTS, FICSIT! I NEED TO CARRY FIVE THOUSAND OF EVERYTHING!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its really going to be fun seeing if the no enemies or unlimited inventory mods hit first when mods are enabled.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There already is an inventory mod, although I haven't tried any mod at all yet, too afraid of stuff breaking.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just want stuff to stack infinitely. Or at least to 99999.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is my current hub design, cribbed heavily from the satisfactory reddit:

You can make 36 storage containers in a circle with a little effort. I did that, but then deleted two of them to make room for a train track, and put the station in the middle. Belts circle clockwise above the containers, providing easy loading and unloading points for the various products. Since the platform is built slightly raised, if a belt would cross too much of the map and impair the construction of future buildings, it can be run underneath.

I think once I've got some more production going on this new base, I'll start color-coding my buildings so it's easier to remember what's being produced where.

I've linked my two bases by going around the west side of the world, but I think soon I'll connect those two bits of track getting near each other near the center of the map. After that, it might be fun to push over to the east side of the map and find that third spawn point that I've never messed with...

edit: Did you know that the satisfactory calculator websites can now show you total production? I didn't, until now!

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 20, 2019

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Debating starting over again and trying a different layout. Anyone have diagrams or pics showing a central hub theme? I've seen a few examples in the thread in diagrams, but I guess I'm having trouble with how the belts go in and out of it.

I don't like building multi level factories, so sprawl around a hub may bey speed.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Here's a diagram of a central hub pattern, with most of the activity on a single level (and conveyors/trains in the basement):

Everything sprawls out from a mall where you can pick up intermediate components for construction projects. In a spacious area, you should be able to add capacity to any processing line up to the limit of your belt bandwidth.

I divide this up into a few of these malls: one for construction, one for electronics, one for organics, et cetera.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Can you show me an ingame pic? I think I'm overimagining this.