Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Phlegmish posted:

The first episode aired right before I was born, and it's still going

I'm going to die before they pull the plug on the Simpsons

When “Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” first aired, Bart and I were the same age. Now I’m pushing 40 and Bart is still 10.

I’m gonna be 90 in a nursing home making GBS threads the bed, and Bart is still going to be 10 and on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Homer and Marge celebrate their anniversary, leaving the kids at home with Grampa. Marge points out that Grampa needs to be home in an hour, so she and Homer do all their activities as fast as possible. At home, Bart and Lisa are bored and ask Grampa if they can play a game. Bart finds some plastic army men toys in the basement, which causes Grampa to panic.

The family takes him to the VA, but the doctor is unable to find out what's wrong. Lisa notices that the molding of the soldier toys resembles Grampa, then asks if the company that used him for the photos of the plastic army men paid him. Grampa recalls that in 1947 he was paid to model for the original army men, including a promise of a royalty for each toy.

Grampa ends up on Channel 6 news and shortly after reaches national headlines on NBC. After the headlines, the toy company that used Grampa for their toys invites him to visit their headquarters in New York City. The chairman tells Grampa that he missed out on millions of dollars because he never signed his contract. Grampa remembers that he ran out of the shoot because the male photographer kissed him. The company then fired the photographer for being gay. Realizing that he may have ruined the photographer's life, Grampa makes his next goal to visit him to apologize.

Lisa discovers that the photographer, Philip Hefflin, now lives in Marfa, Texas. The drive is long and the family encounters the Marfa lights and Prada Marfa.[2] When they get to Philip's hometown, Grampa stumbles into a gallery filled with paintings of him in his army uniform. Philip greets Abe, stating that he was better off being true to himself. They enjoy time together before Abe has to head back to Springfield.

In the backyard during the final scene, Bart, Milhouse, and Nelson are playing with the soldier toys. After Bart gets bored, he suggests melting them in the microwave, which the kids end up doing. A montage of Abe and Philip is then shown.

This episode was OK, not great. Certainly not Emmy worthy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was it the only animated show produced that year?

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Horace posted:

Well, the first episode was this one:

so gently caress it, don't watch these

why does an 8 year old girl have a framed picture of a swarthy convenience store manager next to her bed?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was it the only animated show produced that year?
Original air date: January 6, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

emgeejay posted:

Original air date: January 6, 2019

gently caress's sake

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You know he sat like this for weeks to pull this shot off, right

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Julie Kavner hears about another renewal of the show.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Reminder ~10 years until they can plausibly recon Grandpa Simpson to be a Iraq I war vet.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Grogquock posted:

Reminder ~10 years until they can plausibly recon Grandpa Simpson to be a Iraq I war vet.

Was thinking about this the other day. He'd have to be at least ~92 years old by now if "The Flying Hellfish" matters anymore (it doesn't).

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Grogquock posted:

Grandpa Simpson veteran of the meme wars

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Julie Kavner hears about another renewal of the show.

Ny heart breaks for the millionaire who could quit the show anytime she wants.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

When “Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” first aired, Bart and I were the same age. Now I’m pushing 40 and Bart is still 10.

I’m gonna be 90 in a nursing home making GBS threads the bed, and Bart is still going to be 10 and on the air.

Portrait of Dorian Yellow

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Ny heart breaks for the millionaire who could quit the show anytime she wants.

p sure the internet would react super appropriately if a woman quit the show.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't think anyone wants to be the first to quit and get blamed for killing the show. This is the world's worst game of chicken and ends in ritual mass suicide.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ignoring the default answer of "the show should have been cancelled decades ago", they should have all quit in solidarity when Maggie Roswell was fired.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ignoring the default answer of "the show should have been cancelled decades ago", they should have all quit in solidarity when Maggie Roswell was fired.

But who will be the voice of Maggie now??

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

But who will be the voice of Maggie now??

I will do it for the low, low price of $150,000 an episode

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol she she wanted a raise from $2000 per episode, to $6000 per episode, but Fox only offered a raise of $150, she quit and that’s why they killed Maude Flanders . Unreal.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Holy poo poo, I just looked this up and I was surprised. I thought the voice actress of Maude died, so that's why they killed her character. (Although thinking back, that would be the least tasteful way to handle that if so.)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Holy poo poo, I just looked this up and I was surprised. I thought the voice actress of Maude died, so that's why they killed her character. (Although thinking back, that would be the least tasteful way to handle that if so.)

If you die on the Simpsons, you die in real life.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
it's been pretty bad but there's actually no lower point than the glassy eyed stare, newgrounds level animation of that response to 'the problem with apu'

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

ulex minor posted:

it's been pretty bad but there's actually no lower point than the glassy eyed stare, newgrounds level animation of that response to 'the problem with apu'

This is 100% definitely the lowest point. At least with all that other poo poo like Ke$ha, Gaga, the voting/political shorts etc they were at least attempting to make entertainment. The Apu thing was a jokeless and artless scolding of the viewers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If I were a current Simpsons writer, I'd put Bleeding Gums Murphy in an episode (that isn't a flashback or a Treehouse or something) just to see if anyone noticed.

Coincidentally, I just watched Do The Bartman today for the first time ever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

If I were a current Simpsons writer, I'd put Bleeding Gums Murphy in an episode (that isn't a flashback or a Treehouse or something) just to see if anyone noticed.

Coincidentally, I just watched Do The Bartman today for the first time ever.

Just :lol: that you didn't have The Simpsons Sing The Blues on record or cassette

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: that you didn't have The Simpsons Sing The Blues on record or cassette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVusSqEzVHY

Bart putting mothballs in the beef stew seems like something from another decade on another planet

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/926129305477722113

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wha...what is he doing?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Is the whole joke that Maggie is holding Maggi Sauce? They were waiting until 2019 to use that one?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
its suppoed to be szechuan sauce

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Every episode after season 13 is a new low, Op

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Iron Crowned posted:

I had the Christmas edition, and one where Mr. Burns sings about being surrounded by morons. I actually kind of miss hearing it.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
A FACTORY full of FOOLS

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched 5 minutes of a newer episode last night waiting for a good show to come on and The Simpson’s made a good joke.

Bart is in trouble and everyone thinks he’s on drugs. SIT Chalmers says “Mrs. Simpson we know you’ve tried everything to keep Bart in line... Ritalin, Lithium, Adderall... but now I’m afraid he’s turned to drugs!”

and I sorta chuckled because that’s kinda clever.

Then there was a nonsense joke where Homer accidentally puts himself on the Amber Alert watchlist, and to cover it up, Wiggum swaps it to Moe instead, right as he is exiting a bakery with a wedding cake. As the crowd turns on him, Moe says “a bad time to be holding this cake” and I turned it off.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Horace posted:

This is 100% definitely the lowest point. At least with all that other poo poo like Ke$ha, Gaga, the voting/political shorts etc they were at least attempting to make entertainment. The Apu thing was a jokeless and artless scolding of the viewers.

They tried to compare Marge's problematic childhood book with the cartoon's continued problematic depiction of Apu. Marge's book would be at least 25 years old, but the cartoon's written each year and is ostensibly providing modern social commentary. Just on this issue, they're choosing to ignore they're working in a medium that can change year on year

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Then there was a nonsense joke where Homer accidentally puts himself on the Amber Alert watchlist, and to cover it up, Wiggum swaps it to Moe instead, right as he is exiting a bakery with a wedding cake. As the crowd turns on him, Moe says “a bad time to be holding this cake” and I turned it off.

wow, no kidding - can you imagine trying to run away from a crowd while holding a wedding cake? what a disaster!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bandaid.friend posted:

They tried to compare Marge's problematic childhood book with the cartoon's continued problematic depiction of Apu. Marge's book would be at least 25 years old, but the cartoon's written each year and is ostensibly providing modern social commentary. Just on this issue, they're choosing to ignore they're working in a medium that can change year on year

I’ve posted about it before, but this scene is absolutely the lowest point, hands-down. Almost every line is terrible, insensitive, and/or tone-deaf. First it states making something inoffensive is somehow taking the spirit and character out of it, implying that somehow bigotry gives a work of art ~*personality*~. Marge specifying the character is “cisgender”, with the context just provided, feels like a stab at non-binary and/or trans people. Then the implication that only hyperbolic / cartoonish SJWs care about net neutrality is great too. Then Lisa, the “woke” one, states that with this character being so “perfect” that they can’t grow - as though the only way one can improve oneself is by being bigoted and learning how not to be bigoted. Then of course is the big fuckin whammy of “well what can ya do!” which is loving terrible, because you can just fix the loving character lmao.

The recent seasons have had other scenes that are just as terrible in terms of “owning SJWs” but this is the only one that is directly addressing (read: making fun of) a real-world criticism of the show and a problematic element within it. It’s basically telling people who find Apu offensive to gently caress off, and hey everyone needs to just lighten up a little, racism gives stories personality and charm!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Bart is in trouble and everyone thinks he’s on drugs. SIT Chalmers says “Mrs. Simpson we know you’ve tried everything to keep Bart in line... Ritalin, Lithium, Adderall... but now I’m afraid he’s turned to drugs!”

wow, yeah i get it because the things he listed ARE drugs, very stinging and revelatory. a biting commentary on our society as a whole using drugs as a crutch to alleviate problems with our youth.

e: how does this show stay so relevant and on top of things?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 20, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Looks like those clowns in the writer's room did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife is watching the Emmies (Emmy's?), and Homer was brought on as the original host of the show. He awkwardly, slowly walks across the stage, and starts giving a speech with literally no jokes in it, getting only two sentences in. Then a piano falls on him, the end. (Then someone else gets up from the audience and starts to take over.)

This is the first new Simpsons I've seen in like a decade, and man does his voice seem marbley.