Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Trabant posted:

The title is "his All-Black Boerum Hill Firehouse Has a Live-in Archery Range " but I feel like it's underselling these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KZB56yf7Sw
I like this, actually. Though I feel like the residents were pulled out of coen brothers or wes anderson movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
My big furniture order finally came in, so I can finally show off my place - pretty happy with it so far, definitely need another lamp or two though and maybe a couple plants. Not pictured - very messy desk off in a corner...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mmm11105 posted:

My big furniture order finally came in, so I can finally show off my place

How's work over at GATTACA ?

Not my thing, but looks like nice stuff

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Not my thing, but looks like nice stuff

:same:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cables behind the TV totally ruined it for me, burn the place down.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Your room desperately needs a colorful rug.

looks pretty good otherwise

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Where did you order the furniture from?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looks good. The ikea thing the TV is on is now playing waaay out of its league.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Your room desperately needs a colorful rug.

looks pretty good otherwise

Yes it does - rug is definitely on the shopping list. Debating just how colorful though, I'm tempted to go for a lighter blue like the pillow...

knox_harrington posted:

Looks good. The ikea thing the TV is on is now playing waaay out of its league.

The TV thing is MUJI - it's definitely nicer in person, thick veneer of real walnut - wish the finish on it was closer to the other stuff though.

MetaJew posted:

Where did you order the furniture from?

Furniture is Karimoku60, which I fell in loved with whole browsing some design stores when I was working in Tokyo for a few months last year. I ordered through their U.S. distributor, who TBH weren't the best, slow to respond to emails and stuff, but did get me the stuff at a fairly reasonable price.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PurpleXVI posted:

Somehow I'm weirded out by the fireplace right next to the front door. Like... is it not normal in the US to have like, an entry room right past the front door for kicking off your shoes, etc.? Is it normal to just wander right into the goddamn living room?

I'm always weirded out by fireplaces against an exterior wall, so ineffective. A fireplace is supposed to be built as near the center of the house as is possible for maximum efficiency. To me it says, this fireplace is a decoration.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm always weirded out by fireplaces against an exterior wall, so ineffective. A fireplace is supposed to be built as near the center of the house as is possible for maximum efficiency. To me it says, this fireplace is a decoration.

My dude that hasn't been the style for over 500 years. One in the kitchen and one on each gable has been normal since Tudor houses went out of style. And they definitely weren't decoration back then.

There's also still benefit to a fireplace that only heats one room. If you have central heating but enjoy a live fire, there's no need to build the entire house around a chimney stack.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 22, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

My dude that hasn't been the style for over 500 years. One in the kitchen and one on each gable has been normal since Tudor houses went out of style. And they definitely weren't decoration back then.

There's also still benefit to a fireplace that only heats one room. If you have central heating but enjoy a live fire, there's no need to build the entire house around a chimney stack.

That's been and still is the style in the nordic countries, been so for hundreds of years, the alternative were to freeze to death in your house or go into the poor house from the insane amount of wood burning you needed to keep the house somwhat warm.

And even in the older houses where you have multiple fireplaces they are never put against an exterior wall.

I am reminded of Jean Sibelius, a finnish composer who often spent time in england, he liked the british he said, but complained about the damp and cold houses.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 22, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Motronic posted:

This is absolutely a known thing that's been going on forever with vehicles. The particularly egregious one now is the "oh, you want emergency braking/lane assist/other safety features? Yeah, that only comes on the highest trim models. If you can't afford leather, heated/cooled seats, automatic wipers and 20" alloy wheels you are too poor for safety."

Which is why IIHS won’t give you a top safety pick score now unless the safety tech is on every trim level in the model.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That's been and still is the style in the nordic countries, been so for hundreds of years, the alternative were to freeze to death in your house or go into the poor house from the insane amount of wood burning you needed to keep the house somwhat warm.

And even in the older houses where you have multiple fireplaces they are never put against an exterior wall.

I am reminded of Jean Sibelius, a finnish composer who often spent time in england, he liked the british he said, but complained about the damp and cold houses.

Right, but you understand that you're talking specifically about a house which is neither nordic nor in a country particularly birthed from nordic culture, in a different climate to nordic countries, and that in other countries there may be other more important efficiencies to consider like ease of construction or square footage.

What I'm saying is it's quite dismissive of the needs and wants of other cultures and climates to look at their centuries-old way of building and call it "decorative".

It's like looking at highly peaked roofs in snowy areas and saying "wow, that's so inefficient, wasting so much space on a decorative roof".

Also more to the point, it's the 21st century, most fireplaces are to some degree decorative, you might as well get up in arms about wallpaper.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mmm11105 posted:

My big furniture order finally came in, so I can finally show off my place - pretty happy with it so far, definitely need another lamp or two though and maybe a couple plants. Not pictured - very messy desk off in a corner...

I think it looks great, with the exception that some of those walls in the living room are too big for the framed pictures that are hanging there.

But then I am a maximalist when it comes to an arts. I’d probably put the two (or even all three) anime pieces vertically on the narrow wall next to that armchair and get some bigger pieces for the two larger walls. Do that before you get some houseplants.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Right, but you understand that you're talking specifically about a house which is neither nordic nor in a country particularly birthed from nordic culture, in a different climate to nordic countries, and that in other countries there may be other more important efficiencies to consider like ease of construction or square footage.

What I'm saying is it's quite dismissive of the needs and wants of other cultures and climates to look at their centuries-old way of building and call it "decorative".

It's like looking at highly peaked roofs in snowy areas and saying "wow, that's so inefficient, wasting so much space on a decorative roof".

Also more to the point, it's the 21st century, most fireplaces are to some degree decorative, you might as well get up in arms about wallpaper.

Asking a goon not to sperg out is like asking water not to be wet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drgitlin posted:

Asking a goon not to sperg out is like asking water not to be wet.

Wallpaper! :argh:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
It’s me, the fool who put up wallpaper just yesterday.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

plx

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

This makes so much sense to me. In the US, fireplaces usually are on an outside wall and the alternative had simply never occurred to me before, but in some of the old houses in which I grew up, the flues for the old pot-bellied heating stoves ran up to the highest part of the roofline, in the middle of the home.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TofuDiva posted:

This makes so much sense to me. In the US, fireplaces usually are on an outside wall and the alternative had simply never occurred to me before, but in some of the old houses in which I grew up, the flues for the old pot-bellied heating stoves ran up to the highest part of the roofline, in the middle of the home.

Even then I've lived in and seen tons of 200+ yr old houses in New England that all had a brick / stone fireplace on an exterior wall or walls usually on opposite sides of the house from each other (if there were more than 1). I don't think the homebuilders were dumb so they must have had a reason for not having a central fireplace. Of course I imagine firewood was fairly plentiful (and still is) in New England.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've lived in multiple houses in the Great Lakes states built between the 1920s and 1970s, and the only one that had a central chimney was the oldest one. It was designed to have the living room fireplace on one side, and the chimney for the kitchen stove on the other. I want to say it ended up being structural too with a bunch of joists going into the structure, but I could be wrong. It kinda sucked to have a giant chimney coming though the second floor and attic instead of being outside the structure like on an exterior wall fireplace.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's what I say is one of the pros.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's still wasteful in terms of heat and fuel, though. If you want a fireplace that's just "decorative," and actually intend to fuel it, just slap up an LCD screen and run one of those fireplace videos on it. Don't actually waste heating resources on it.

Also, realize that you're probably talking to a Scandinavian. As a Scandinavian myself, I can assure you that we would never consider that another country might do something better than us, or more appropriate for their local conditions, because they won't.

That Works posted:

Even then I've lived in and seen tons of 200+ yr old houses in New England that all had a brick / stone fireplace on an exterior wall or walls usually on opposite sides of the house from each other (if there were more than 1). I don't think the homebuilders were dumb so they must have had a reason for not having a central fireplace. Of course I imagine firewood was fairly plentiful (and still is) in New England.

Personally the only reasons I could imagine for it would be that it's easier to build it that way, since you don't need to keep the roof from leaking where the chimney pokes through it, and also it would be less of a fire hazard since if something goes wrong it's not right at the center of the building but rather at the outer edge. Also prior to reliable chimney insulation materials I could imagine that the chimneys themselves would get extremely hot and be potential fire hazards if they were in contact with a thatched roof or wooden internal structure.

There's also the matter of smoke, if the chimney's not poking right up the center of a peaked roof, it needs to be higher than the peak, to avoid poor draft situations. Again, you can either build, in that case, a tall chimney that's harder to do or you can just stack it up against the gable where the draft situation is a bit simpler.

Also with all the poo poo in this thread, I'm amazed that anyone can still go: "I don't think the homebuilders were dumb." Because no, there are and were plenty of idiot builders in every era, and tons of poo poo that is and was just done "because that's how it's always been done."

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm in the process of removing a natural gas fireplace and putting in a small wood burning one on an exterior wall because I like them

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

Also with all the poo poo in this thread, I'm amazed that anyone can still go: "I don't think the homebuilders were dumb." Because no, there are and were plenty of idiot builders in every era, and tons of poo poo that is and was just done "because that's how it's always been done."

Right. Except in Scandinavia, of course.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"If it ain't red, it ain't right"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm in the process of removing a natural gas fireplace and putting in a small wood burning one on an exterior wall because I like them

You ought to go with a double walled wood stove like your posting friend, Mr. Mambold.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My parents' place was built in the 1650s and the original bit has the fireplace at the end of the gable. It does use an incredible amount of wood for the amount of heat it produces.

The "new" bit from the 18th century has a fireplace in the middle of it which does seem more sensible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Weirdly enough I like wood fires for more than just heating myself. Like, they crackle, exude pleasant light, smell nice, and I can cook things on it. It's nice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would have to assume that a fireplace on an exterior wall is much easier to repair if something goes wrong.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
In signal flag parlance, this is spelling out "SOAPBAR STUCK [in] BUTT, SEND ENEMA"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

Weirdly enough I like wood fires for more than just heating myself. Like, they crackle, exude pleasant light, smell nice, and I can cook things on it. It's nice.

I like the ones with the water vapour. Heat (or not) and pretty flames, with no chance of burning the house down.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mutata posted:

Lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought fireplaces were so you could bone chicks in front of them. You mean they actually heat houses too?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wesleywillis posted:

You mean they actually heat houses too?

Brick houses, yeah

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I use mine exclusively for colin firth in a copper bath

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

I would have to assume that a fireplace on an exterior wall is much easier to repair if something goes wrong.

in the more temperate colonial american climate, you could build your chimney from combustible wood, and the external wall fireplace had two advantages

-easier to detach a burning chimney from the house without compromising the integrity of the house

-easier to upgrade the chimney to stone or brick later without rebuilding your house

this was fairly common when building log residences in hotter climates, along with building the house on pilings and adding a central breezeway between rooms aka a 'dogtrot' to make the house easier to keep cool in summer

in much of the usa, dealing with the summer climate is more important than dealing with the winter climate when you can just put on more clothes

historic home in alabama circa 1818, note how the chimney was replaced with brick

here's a historic photo of slave cabins from the 1930s, still inhabited. the upper parts of the chimney are made of sticks and clay, and the fireplace is probably stone or brick with wooden cladding

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

wesleywillis posted:

I thought fireplaces were so you could bone chicks in front of them. You mean they actually heat houses too?

I read this in a Wesley Willis voice and it was worth it

chorus
Screwing in front of the fireplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mutata posted:

I've seen houses with fireplaces in the exterior walls built here, they where purely decorative pieces with only radiative heat from the fire being what you got into the house from the fire, so a few percent efficiency I think, most of it is going outside, any heating of the structure of the chimney itself is also radiated outside.

Compare that to a plain fireplace inside the house with a brick chimney stack that could absorb heat and we might be 20% or so. Add a cast iron insert and we might be looking at 30% or there about.

If we design the bottom of the chimney stack according to traditional finnish standard, you'd have it in the center of the house, kitchen stove would one one side and the other would be a mass heater stove (pönttöuuni) for the main living room, most rooms would be exposed to the brick chimney though, so this is a primitive version of central heating. The chimney stack behind the cast iron cooking stove would have channels that the smoke goes through, extracting more heat from the smoke before it goes up the chimney. In summertime a bypass valve would be opened to allow the smoke to go directly up the chimney, as you don't want to make it too warm then. Now we're probably in the 50-60% range efficiency.

In a modern house like ours (built 2013) with a modern "pönttöuuni" with secondary combustion of the flue gasses, in addition to the traditional deign of smoke channels to extract heat, we're around 70-80% efficiency.

The latest and greatest in wood combustion are wood gassification boilers, a pretty hi-tech setup where you get over 90% efficiencies and utilizing very large insulated water tanks of several cubic meters to retain the heat.