Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This seems like a petty bitch but whatever this is the thread for it. Fan content that is only catered to the highest level players. It pops up a lot in Pokemon ROMhacks but I had it pop up as an issue for me just yesterday.

We're visiting friends and they have a VR setup, which is cool and fun! I got to try Beat Saber and had fun with it. Problem is I am horrible at rhythm games. It's not so big a deal in Beat Saber because I can just do Easy mode and have fun with it. But then I wanted to see what songs were available to download, fan made stuff I think. I went looking for songs I like that I could dance to.

This was a mistake. 99% of them didn't have an Easy mode. Normal was the lowest I could find. I can only barely do normal. Worse though, 80% of them only had Expert. Really people? Really? Is accessibility such a bad thing? Maybe I want to dance to my favorite songs without the game telling me I suck. I know I suck. gently caress off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah.

Schopenhauer once wrote an interesting thing where he complained about the sound of horse carriage guys constantly cracking their whips outside of his house and how it pissed him off. What annoyed him wasn't the sound itself so much as the intention behind it, since the guys cracked their whips way more often than was practically necessary, and that felt like an invasion of space (kind of like how people might honk their car horn too often today).

I think this is really true about misophonia. For example, it doesn't annoy me one bit if it's an animal chewing food with their mouth open, or a bird making ticking sounds with its beak or something, but it annoys the poo poo out of me if it's a human doing it, because one is just a natural sound but the other is an intentional sound. It probably stems from some kind of social/group instinct we have that makes us suppress behaviors in others that we do not do ourselves.

Yup, if they know it is annoying and I know they are doing it on purpose to be an rear end that makes it 3 times as annoying. I have one person who continually holds her hand in front of her face so she can speak with food in her mouth "without it being disgusting". It just makes me more annoyed that she wont just stop with the initial problem.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Between the coffee and the tipping, my peeve is that I can’t trade a ban for my account in exchange for a ban on yeah I eat rear end.

I’ll gladly take it mods, don’t hesitate

The problem with (especially the US) western psudeo meritocracy mindset around consumer and provider is that any complaints from a customer leads to the ones lowest down in the system receiving all the fault instead of the ones who are likely responsible (middle management). It also, encourages people to be unreasonable dickbags to get what they want, because it is easier to appease them than hold off a discount. IE customer is always right, what are you going to do about it? Do you know who I am?

Midig has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Sep 22, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I think this is really true about misophonia. For example, it doesn't annoy me one bit if it's an animal chewing food with their mouth open, or a bird making ticking sounds with its beak or something, but it annoys the poo poo out of me if it's a human doing it, because one is just a natural sound but the other is an intentional sound. It probably stems from some kind of social/group instinct we have that makes us suppress behaviors in others that we do not do ourselves.
This is why folks with Parkinson's don't bother me, but I catch a glimpse of some dude jiggling his legs like he needs to pee and can think only :murder:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

Its possible this guy was lazy, but there have been countless times when I did delivery for grubhub where they didn't transfer a full address and/or full name to the order slip.

Can't grubhub delivery people contact the customer and resolve any problems? I try to give the benefit of the doubt to people doing things for me (mostly food deliveries), but sometimes the odds that something is non-standard is outweighed by the simple concept that the thing you're doing is your job, jobs have expectations, and expectations need to be met.

I mean, I give meticulous delivery instructions to avoid things going pear-shaped (mostly because they've gone pear-shaped in the past and I try to prevent them in the future), and I've actually been thanked by delivery folks for being so specific about where to go, where I'll be, etc. But man, I have limits.

(The funny thing about this, for me, is that my partner and I have both been in the service industry for ages, and we have this sort of discussion every once in a while.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ESL textbooks that teach that you refer to animals as "it". I have a workbook in front of me for kids that teach the following sentence: "We have a cat. It is called Toby and it is our only pet". Am I nuts or does nobody ever say that? If the cat's called Toby, of course it'd be he. "It" is just for when you don't know the gender.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Midig posted:

Yup, if they know it is annoying and I know they are doing it on purpose to be an rear end that makes it 3 times as annoying. I have one person who continually holds her hand in front of her face so she can speak with her mouth open "without it being disgusting". It just makes me more annoyed that she wont just stop with the initial problem.

The problem with (especially the US) western psudeo meritocracy mindset around consumer and provider is that any complaints from a customer leads to the ones lowest down in the system receiving all the fault instead of the ones who are likely responsible (middle management). It also, encourages people to be unreasonable dickbags to get what they want, because it is easier to appease them than hold off a discount. IE customer is always right, what are you going to do about it? Do you know who I am?

It’s frustrating to me that in America, tipping is a given system. There’s a ton of arguments against tipping, and as a system it is super broken, but the reality is it’s not going away any time soon.

And yet you get these people who say “we can all just stop tipping and change the system!” - news flash, dickhole, your one-person resistance movement does nothing except gently caress over the lowest level people who aren’t making a living wage.

“Well, they keep trying to talk to me while I’m eating” or “they didn’t walk my food exactly to my doorstep so my fat rear end had to go outside” are terrible reasons not to tip and just indicate that someone is jerking themselves off on a power trip. You know how the system works, don’t try to justify your lovely opinions by saying someone gave low effort. No poo poo they gave low effort, they’re being paid $3 an hour to deal with your entitled rear end.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

MisterBibs posted:

Can't grubhub delivery people contact the customer and resolve any problems?

Here' my experience working delivery with Grubhub:

Grubhub wants the delivery driver to contact them instead of the customer if there is an issue. The theory being that someone won't answer their phone if it's a number they don't recognize. Grubhub then contacts the customer via text. So, say you pulled up to a massive apartment building when you were expecting a single residence, and there is an incomplete name and no apartment number listed on the order slip. Contact Grubhub to ask what to do, but if the line is busy, or they're not answering the phone, or they can't get in contact with the customer, or they did get in contact with the customer but didn't pass along the information you need? Well, gently caress you driver! Grubhub is now ghosting you. It's also judging you on how fast you make these deliveries and will throttle your already low pay if you don't make a certain number of deliveries in a specific amount of time. So, now you try contacting the customer but all they do is give non-answers like "I'll buzz you in". You contact them again to try and eek the bare minimum amount of information you need to finish the job, and now the customer is pissed at you. You finish the delivery, get back in your car, and now the other deliveries are going to be late. By the end of the night, you've barely made enough to cover the gas you used.

My peeve is Grubhub. It's an awful company that treats its workers like dirt and foists all of it's problems onto the people least able to do anything about them.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Sep 22, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

ESL textbooks that teach that you refer to animals as "it". I have a workbook in front of me for kids that teach the following sentence: "We have a cat. It is called Toby and it is our only pet". Am I nuts or does nobody ever say that? If the cat's called Toby, of course it'd be he. "It" is just for when you don't know the gender.

English should get on Finland's level and call people "it"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

Please no.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's nice

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Using "it" on people is legitimately dehumanizing and has been co-opted by anti-LGBT activists

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
A language can't be changed overnight, and in English calling people "it" sounds very, very wrong. Like, "removal of human rights" wrong.

Ok, that might be hyperbole, but hopefully you get my meaning.

edit: f,b.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Using "it" on people is legitimately dehumanizing and has been co-opted by anti-LGBT activists

Normal Finnish conversation:

Hey where did Jarno go?

It went to the store

PizzaProwler posted:

A language can't be changed overnight, and in English calling people "it" sounds very, very wrong. Like, "removal of human rights" wrong.

Ok, that might be hyperbole, but hopefully you get my meaning.

edit: f,b.

Yeah I get that, I'm not exactly seriously suggesting that people should just change how they speak

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Seriously though does anyone ever refer to their own pet as "it", especially when they use the pet's name in the same sentence? I'm not a native speaker but it seems like a figment of textbook makers' imaginations.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
dumbasses who say they got a "7 day twitter ban" or whatever

that's a loving suspension, not a ban. A ban is permanent. it seems everyone just decided to start using the wrong words at some point and its been annoying me ever since

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Burning Sensation posted:

I'm hearing a lot of people saying "and I" incorrectly, assuming that the 'rule' is that you always say "x and I" regardless of context (because a lot of presumably well-meaning but really stupid people actually teach them this), and it annoys the ever-living gently caress out of me.

I was watching television and someone said "Jed and I's date went well".

"I date went well?"

Really?

I date went well, you guys.

Me no like this trend. You might even say it I's pet peeve.

My peeve used to be my parents constantly correcting me when I would say "me and my friend went to the park" or whatever. No, Inspector, it's "my friend and I." Fine so I started saying I all the time and these fuckers start correcting me for using it wrong the other way! "My other friend joined my friend and I at the park." No, Inspector, it's "me and my friend." What the christ!?

But now that it's been so thoroughly drilled into me I have the same peeve as you. Use "me" and "I" correctly you drat cretins!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate formula 1. It's a dumb "sport" that doesn't involve the human body any more than Dota 2 does, it contributes to global warming by encouraging fast driving. It's all about advertisements and sponsoring, so is Fifa but at least with football you can distinguish a good team from a bad one and admire the skill of the individual player, with formula 1 who wins is mostly a function of money and ruthlessness. It's the ultimate anti-sport.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Seriously though does anyone ever refer to their own pet as "it", especially when they use the pet's name in the same sentence? I'm not a native speaker but it seems like a figment of textbook makers' imaginations.

Maybe if the pet is like, a tarantula, otherwise you sound like a sociopath.

And hell my tarantulas and scorpion were always "she."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Andrast posted:

Is your whole country filled with child eating sewer clowns?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Is your whole country filled with child eating sewer clowns?

Close, abominations from space.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

ESL textbooks that teach that you refer to animals as "it"

but tons of pets have names that are non gender specific? and a lot of the time you're going to be referring to an animal you probably won't know what sex it is so it's just generally more useful? also i had a snake that was called henry and she was female so NEVER ASSUME

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ulex minor posted:

but tons of pets have names that are non gender specific? and a lot of the time you're going to be referring to an animal you probably won't know what sex it is so it's just generally more useful? also i had a snake that was called henry and she was female so NEVER ASSUME

and that's why I call people named Chris "it"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

I do. Animals don't have genders. I also don't bother using their names either. If I want a dog's attention I call it "dog". It's not like they care, and they're rarely any more likely to respond to their name than to anything else you say to them.

Inspector 34 posted:

My peeve used to be my parents constantly correcting me when I would say "me and my friend went to the park" or whatever. No, Inspector, it's "my friend and I." Fine so I started saying I all the time and these fuckers start correcting me for using it wrong the other way! "My other friend joined my friend and I at the park." No, Inspector, it's "me and my friend." What the christ!?
No, it's "my friend and me". You always put yourself last regardless of what pronoun you're using. :eng101:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I do. Animals don't have genders. I also don't bother using their names either. If I want a dog's attention I call it "dog". It's not like they care, and they're rarely any more likely to respond to their name than to anything else you say to them.

That's not true though, dogs at least do know their name (although they probably don't have the concept of names, they do know that the sound means that they are being called), cats apparently do too. Why not use their names?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

beep boop

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Andrast posted:

beep boop
it's Tiggum

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Sep 23, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

That's not true though, dogs at least do know their name (although they probably don't have the concept of names, they do know that the sound means that they are being called), cats apparently do too. Why not use their names?
Because why bother? I'll learn a person's name because people don't like it when you call them the wrong thing. But dogs and cats don't care so why should I?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

and that's why I call people named Chris "it"

probably if someone asked you something like 'what room does Chris live in' and you had info on names and rooms but not gender you would say 'they live in room 1408' but while calling humans 'it' has a history of being dehumanising, also because that's how we have historically referred to animals, it's not dehumanising to animals because they are not humans.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

yeah a dog with a dick is also not troubled if you start petting it vigorously and saying in a cheerful voice 'who's the stupid little girl' so who cares

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I hate formula 1. It's a dumb "sport" that doesn't involve the human body any more than Dota 2 does, it contributes to global warming by encouraging fast driving. It's all about advertisements and sponsoring, so is Fifa but at least with football you can distinguish a good team from a bad one and admire the skill of the individual player, with formula 1 who wins is mostly a function of money and ruthlessness. It's the ultimate anti-sport.

I’m not a racing fan by any means but lol at the idea that formula one isn’t more physically demanding than “esports”.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

I looked it up once out of sheer curiosity, and iirc, they don't know their names as an identifier as much as the tone their owner uses when calling them. A dog named Herbert will react as if you called it Fogworm, as long as you say it as if you were calling them Herbert.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

who cares if something is physically demanding or not

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Judging by what other people love to do you should call all animals whatever sex your animals at home are. If a person has a female dog they call most every dog a her by accident. Not that they should be doing that but it does seem to happen a lot. The dogs don't care, they're just happy to be included in the conversation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ulex minor posted:

probably if someone asked you something like 'what room does Chris live in' and you had info on names and rooms but not gender you would say 'they live in room 1408' but while calling humans 'it' has a history of being dehumanising, also because that's how we have historically referred to animals, it's not dehumanising to animals because they are not humans.
if history is the decider then in english we call animals "he" by default, not "it".

Tiggum posted:

Because why bother? I'll learn a person's name because people don't like it when you call them the wrong thing. But dogs and cats don't care so why should I?

Because under no good circumstances are you talking to a dog or cat without talking to an associated human who cares.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Sep 23, 2019

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

if history is the decider then in english we call animals "he" by default, not "it".

Because under no good circumstances are you talking to a dog or cat without talking to an associated human who cares.

you're not even thinking right - cats will be 'she' and dogs will be 'he' and all other animals will also be decided by what stories we tell about them and whether we think that's more masculine than feminine until we get to something like a sloth and there needs to be a grand council.

anyway if someone is angry you called their dog 'it' rather than 'she' or 'he' they're being precious and need to chill out. why would they care?

edit: i love my dog and i do not care at all if someone calls them 'he' or 'she' because...it is the most insignificant trivial thing to care about

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
People that write forum posts and e-mails like this . . . is there a name for it . . . what makes people do it . . . how do they go their whole lives without noticing that it's not how people normally write . . . do they write everything like this or is it just when they use the Internet . . . how much does it cost to deworm a donkey . . . sometimes when you tell people that not using sentences or line breaks makes their posts hard to read they will deny writing this way even as they continue to do it in their reply . . .

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Boomers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Calling cats she is sexist towards humans because it associates grace and stuff with femininity

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A lot of people... especially older people...have not had to write anything in the decades since they finished school...then suddenly the internet is widespread enough that you can't really avoid using it...and they need to write things despite not really knowing how...the dots are probably there in some sort of attempt to simulate the pauses you'd have if you were speaking by people who don't know anything about punctuation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Calling cats she is sexist towards humans because it associates grace and stuff with femininity

You obviously haven't had a cat because they are dumbasses who fall down things all the time