Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a.lo posted:

Should I try Borderlands 3? It looks cool

It's really great. The graphical quality is what I would call the Borderlands art style perfected, and the loot feels very well tuned with special guns still being rare but also common enough that you'll surely get a few. The writing is Borderlands as usual, but they walked back a lot of the wackiness from 2 and it's more in line with the style of humor of Tales from the Borderlands instead. It's a lot of fun with friends and all 4 characters feel powerful and useful and unique. Go for it goon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If I like the game reference humor is good and if I dislike the game then it's bad.

Them's the rules.
i dunno, i liked guacamelee and the meme humor in that was garbage

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apptember reviews (apple arcade) pt. 3...

tangle tower

if you liked detective grimoire, this is the sequel to that game but everything is 4000 times better. this is legitimately a good ace attorney-inspired investigation game, with its own mechanics. the character design is quirky and fun, the animation is wonderful, the music is orchestrated, the plot is engrossing, and the "trick" of the murder so to speak is not a bunch of convoluted nonsense, given the logic of the world.

voice acting is really good too, which is interesting because a lot of the VAs come from anime, and it goes to show how vocal direction makes a huge difference. because without the constraints of anime dubbing and anime voice direction, these voices really shine and do a great job, rather than have that stilted and over-rehearsed style that i hear in most modern dubs (referring to what i see on hidive & crunchyroll). Kimlihn Tran does the voice direction on this game, and it's only her second vocal direction credit, and it should be her 50th imo. instead she's doing the voice of the main character of Beyblade Burst, which.. i guess that's fine but. whatever. also Sarah Williams does a spot-on Melissa Fahn "dendy" voice for Fifi, and I really thought it was Melissa Fahn

there is a description and voice read for almost every 20 pixels in the game. so many things on each screen have a description and joke, it's impressive. of course, that introduces some pixel-hunting as well, because you'll have to click around to find important evidence/items, and that might end up stalling progress as you walk around trying to figure out why nothing's moving forward.

talking to people works like ace attorney 2/3, where you get stock questions, and you can also present evidence as well as character profiles to get their opinion. unlike AA, the characters in this game will have something to say about just about everything rather than constantly spit out generic "i don't know what that is!" responses.

to prod out confessions from the characters, you have to construct a statement based on two pieces of evidence as well as drop-down menus of different sentence fragments. there's no penalty for getting this wrong, although i will say that for the most part the statements are easy to put together, and they'll even hint if you're just one off from the correct answer. you'll also have to present evidence, of course. but there's no "OBJECTION!" or "GOT IT!", and there's no 'character freaks out as if they were electricuted' animation; the game is a lot gentler than that.

the game is free on apple arcade, and so if you are trying it out, definitely do it, this is a very ideal game for mobile, and it's very pretty, and it's very enjoyable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Now do Lulu's dress

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Two pages late, but NEVER FORGET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

NEVER

Peter Molyneux: My Next Game a 'Significant Scientific Achievement'

FORGET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

loving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

KINECT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8bqV92zl8

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Sometimes I genuinely feel bummed out we'll never have a Peter Molyneux, Tim Schafer, Todd Howard hackfraud super scam game. Would probably need an entirely fictitious console to play it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The kinect was great for exercise games, skype, and that one puzzle game that used it in a genuinely clever way. The survival horror game they made for it Im counting in the first category because holy moly my glutes burned after playing that badboy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's like Harry Potter, only creepier.

Peter Molyneux and the Imprisoned Child
Peter Molyneux and the Game of Empty Promises
Peter Molyneux and the Bastardisation of Childhood Memories
Peter Molyneux and the Shittiest Tech Demo Ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm glad the Kinect/PSMove stayed dead & buried this generation because I wanna shoot shoot shoot kill kill kill!!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The kinect is so good it can scan and skateboard and remove the players hands, then using AI leanring algorithms can redraw what the skateboard actually looks like.

Never Forghetti

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

Who was that guy who always lied about his games? He did Black and White and then made a fake game about having a pet child in your Xbox with Kinect?
It's very interesting that's how Molyneux is remembered now, since from Populous in 1989 to Black & White in 2001 he was basically considered a game making god and if you read articles from back then the guy could do no wrong. He was an EA vice-president at one point. Garriott was kinda like that too but he'd already fallen out of grace with Ultima 8 and he always was the man of a single saga, whereas Molyneux's ludography is a lot more eclectic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

even black and white and the other lionhead games were for the most part good rear end games. like most of those figureheads he didn't go totally off the rails until kickstarter fed into his worst instincts

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chev posted:

It's very interesting that's how Molyneux is remembered now, since from Populous in 1989 to Black & White in 2001 he was basically considered a game making god and if you read articles from back then the guy could do no wrong. He was an EA vice-president at one point. Garriott was kinda like that too but he'd already fallen out of grace with Ultima 8 and he always was the man of a single saga, whereas Molyneux's ludography is a lot more eclectic.

Being vice-president at EA sounds about right, actually.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also don't forget that Molyneux literally got into game development by way of scamming somebody.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what was inside the chip away cube game

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

a link to the Godus kickstarter

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

oddium posted:

"god mode" for molydeux's next game godus

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Also don't forget that Molyneux literally got into game development by way of scamming somebody.

What's the story with this?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Basically he was in love with some girl and her dad who was a rich entrepreneur guy told him to start his own import/export business, so he did, and called it Taurus. The heads of Commodore at the time called him up and invited him to their offices and showed him around and were like "so when can you put your game on an Amiga?", and it turned out they were mixing his company up with a different Taurus, but Molyneux just went "fuckin' sure???" and they sent him a bunch of computers and money. To his credit he just winged that poo poo and created a company with one of the most unassailable catalogues in western gaming history, so I can't hate.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 23, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FirstAidKite posted:

Commodore called up Molyneux's company, mistaking it for a different one entirely, with the intention of contracting that company to port its software to the Amiga. The deal included 10 free Amiga systems, which led to Molyneux accepting the job anyway so he could turn around and use those PCs for game dev. (In fairness, Molyneux did fulfill the original job as asked, but still.)

Edit: In a vacuum it's a cute story of a plucky developer managing to get off the ground through some chicanery but knowing how Molyneux turned out colors it for the worse.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 23, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Bullfrog was the absolute tits, despite Peter Molyneux.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had the other company signed a contract?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

the dude that opened the cube found a tiny peter molyneux inside that promised that he would become a god in his next game and also receive royalties on it. neither thing happened

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress you Japan and your cool rear end My Nintendo rewards

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not sure any JRPG protag outfit works in real life

maybe ness if you're ok looking like an 8 year old

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/915515755373903872

also, I got the pants for each individual leg because I couldn't make my pants hang any lower

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 23, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RIP Sid Haig

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Messed with my old backlog I had sitting in my notes app today and re-organized and re-evaluated some stuff, but figured I'd post it for posterity.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'd post my planned video game list but it's literally 8 pages long

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've forgotten to add more games to my current to-do list than I've played and finished.

I've had a tab open with Hypnospace Outlaw because if I close it without buying it, I am guessing it will be another few months before I remember that I want to play it

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've forgotten to add more games to my current to-do list than I've played and finished.

I've had a tab open with Hypnospace Outlaw because if I close it without buying it, I am guessing it will be another few months before I remember that I want to play it

This is my web browser on my phone, just pages and pages of websites opened as a reminder not to forget something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iOS 13 adds a feature that auto-closes tabs that are open for too long without interaction, everyone should turn it on

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Messed with my old backlog I had sitting in my notes app today and re-organized and re-evaluated some stuff, but figured I'd post it for posterity.

Death Stranding is PS4 exclusive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I already start to get anxious if I have more than 6 browser tabs open at a time so I never experience this problem.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I already start to get anxious if I have more than 6 browser tabs open at a time so I never experience this problem.

You and me both, meanwhile my wife has like 30+ tabs open all the time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Watching Beyond the Black Rainbow and playing Control would be a good pairing for weird-n-spooky October

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Death Stranding is PS4 exclusive.

Good to know!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

a.lo posted:

Should I try Borderlands 3? It looks cool

It's bad, so no. Terrible writing, it runs like poo poo, all the worlds are super bland. It has no redeeming qualities.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brother recently told a horror story about one of his coworkers who likes to stack up tabs like a hoarder. he asked him to pick a tab at random and it was the score results for a cricket match from two weeks ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Grapplejack posted:

It's bad, so no. Terrible writing, it runs like poo poo, all the worlds are super bland. It has no redeeming qualities.

Guns are better. IMO game ain’t bad, but it isn’t without problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still can't believe Skittles the Tiger ate Milo