Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

zapplez posted:

Vote lib or be ok with CPC winning a close riding.

http://338canada.com/districts/35045e.htm

That's why smart money is on scheerslide. Lotta left gonna stay home this election. 2015 Trudeau is our Trump, 2019 Trudeau is our Hillary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

zapplez posted:

Vote lib or be ok with CPC winning a close riding.

http://338canada.com/districts/35045e.htm

Easy there. Still lots of time until election day.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
“Apple releases a new Emoji pack ahead of the next leader’s debate”

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

My dumbass social media acquaintances were carrying water for our PM even though we live in a deep orange riding.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's why smart money is on scheerslide. Lotta left gonna stay home this election. 2015 Trudeau is our Trump, 2019 Trudeau is our Hillary.

Just put my LIBERAL sign out on my lawn, after talking to a well known local volunteer canvassing. My streets rocking a lot of LIBERAL signs, maybe we will turf Raitt, inshallah

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
JT's face painting escapades got me wondering about the story of his father riding around Montreal wearing a German helmet. Found this on a Canadian Urban Legends page:

Canada Guide posted:

Did future prime minister Pierre Trudeau protest World War II by riding around Montreal on his motorcycle while wearing a Nazi helmet?

It’s unclear.

According to biographers Max Nemni and Monique Nemni, authors of Young Trudeau: 1919-1944: Son of Quebec, Father of Canada, the motorcycle/helmet story “has as many variants as there are storytellers, each embroidering freely on the known facts.” Credible sources do seem to agree, however, that young Pierre and his friend Roger Rolland (1921-2011) played a prank in 1942 that involved dressing up in European military uniforms and riding around on their motorbikes.

The Nemnis quote Rolland’s memory of the prank, in which he recounts that it was he, not Trudeau who wore the German army helmet (from the First World War, incidentally). Rolland similarly claims, in the Nemnis’ words, that the point of the prank was simply to surprise some friends with “outlandish disguises,” — “not to convey some political message.” The Nemnis themselves seem skeptical, and question “how two educated young men in their early twenties, in the midst of a world war, could find such a prank appropriate.

Well may you ask...

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I live in Grande Prairie, and I drive around the area a lot because of my job. I've only ever seen signs for the con and ppc candidates. Even if the vote gets split, we lose.

I also recently went into a pot shop, and the owner had a bunch of serious Nazi tattoos. Please pray for me, my brothers, sisters, and others, for I live in Chudland.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 23, 2019

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Alizee posted:

Literally half this thread is Ottawa centre. Might as well start a trivia team or something.

Ottawa West—Nepean is Ottawa Best to Be In.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I will say that one of the nice things about living in Hamilton Centre is that even Liberal signs are seriously rare (and Conservative ones are absolutely unheard of), it's all NDP everywhere you look. I haven't seen a Green sign yet either.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm on Hamilton Mountain and there are 4 signs for the Green Party on my block right now :psyduck: One house has like 4 Liberal signs in their yard but otherwise it's NDP.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Kanata seems like such a nice place.

https://twitter.com/karenmccrimmon/status/1176072953966018560?s=19

Pretty bold to put a death threat on your lawn

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

vyelkin posted:

That's my riding too and I'll be voting NDP. The Greens are awful and the riding elected an NDP candidate in the provincial election last year so don't write them off in the area.

Lindo is chill and I voted for her. Feels different on the national race tho, I kinda feel like the NDP isn't pushing this riding.

I feel a little extra pressure to vote strategically because our C candidate is a notorious oval office. (Stephen Woodward, really likes trying to reopen the abortion laws)

Anyways Imma sit down and sort through some conflicts and cognitive dissonance I guess.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

flakeloaf posted:

The judge retconned the diagnosis to something incurable, and then correctly acquitted them based on that newly-minted fact.

You can't neglect someone to death if they have a condition that can't be treated, not that this doesn't still make them both giant morons.

The worst is that viral meningitis is typically less severe and resolves with time on its own (~14 days)

I understand the law, but the technicality of it is frustrating. Even moreso because nowhere did I read about a differential diagnosis (i.e. identification of the virus vs bacteria)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao at all the posts talking about strategic voting for the very loving party that said we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore, or the loving Greens, who are literally scared of wifi and think we can save the world by free marketing a Prius into everyone's driveway (and gently caress you if of you can't afford a Prius or a driveway).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Lmao at all the posts talking about strategic voting for the very loving party that said we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore, or the loving Greens, who are literally scared of wifi and think we can save the world by free marketing a Prius into everyone's driveway (and gently caress you if of you can't afford a Prius or a driveway).

Why do you dislike strategic voting?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

Lindo is chill and I voted for her. Feels different on the national race tho, I kinda feel like the NDP isn't pushing this riding.

I feel a little extra pressure to vote strategically because our C candidate is a notorious oval office. (Stephen Woodward, really likes trying to reopen the abortion laws)

Anyways Imma sit down and sort through some conflicts and cognitive dissonance I guess.

I'm aware that the Con candidate is noted bad person Stephen Woodward. He was my MP for like a decade, I know.

I still will not vote for the Liberal. Electoral reform and Trudeau's support for pipelines are both complete dealbreakers for me. I'm not willing to support one pro-tar sands party over another pro-tar sands party when global warming is such an imminent and obvious crisis, and I'm not willing to strategic vote to support the party that said we would never have to strategic vote again.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvilJoven posted:

P sure it's just me.

Basically I don't wanna vote for either a L or a C and the NDP is currently feeling much weaker than Green here, who are running a non kook candidate (or so it appears).

Still got another few weeks to see if anything else shakes out I guess.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Wendell posted:

Why do you dislike strategic voting?

As long as we keep strategic voting the Liberals have no incentive to stop this dreadful cycle of 'vote for us, the ever so slightly less terrible party, or the Cons win'.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
But when the Cons win they do terrible poo poo and everyone eventually backs the Liberals again, and then they get to stay in power until they do enough corruption to get turfed for the Cons.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

As long as we keep strategic voting the Liberals have no incentive to stop this dreadful cycle of 'vote for us, the ever so slightly less terrible party, or the Cons win'.

Oh, yeah, you’re right. We are in a hostage situation.

NDP need to make more radical promises, get people fired up for a break from the cycle.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So long as parties remain whipped, individual candidates and/or their individual credentials are largely meaningless, no?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

CRISPYBABY posted:

P sure it's just me.

Basically I don't wanna vote for either a L or a C and the NDP is currently feeling much weaker than Green here, who are running a non kook candidate (or so it appears).

Still got another few weeks to see if anything else shakes out I guess.

This is how I feel in Kitchener centre too.

I dunno my hope is if the greens gain some traction maybe they'll have more incentive to vet their candidates better for next election or make sure there's less trash in their platform but it'd probably just force them more to the centre.

Democracy is a gently caress.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Saalkin posted:

This is how I feel in Kitchener centre too.

I dunno my hope is if the greens gain some traction maybe they'll have more incentive to vet their candidates better for next election or make sure there's less trash in their platform but it'd probably just force them more to the centre.

Democracy is a gently caress.

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/sta...r%3D239%23pti22

They're already as centrist as you can get, to the point of trying to brand themselves as so much in the centre that they don't even have a left-right position at all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Stickarts posted:

So long as parties remain whipped, individual candidates and/or their individual credentials are largely meaningless, no?

For the voting yeah, but I imagine being articulate and knowledgeable about your pet cause would make it easier for you to agitate behind the scenes to get that issue heard by the junior undersecretary to the minister's page.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/sta...r%3D239%23pti22

They're already as centrist as you can get, to the point of trying to brand themselves as so much in the centre that they don't even have a left-right position at all.

Yeah this is dumb as gently caress. But Woodworth. I dunno.

I'm sure glad this is the first election without FPTP.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Stickarts posted:

Sort of. It's hard to track their influence within the party itself because it covers the entirety of Canada. It comes down to whether you believe your candidate were pushing for bills that benefit their riding directly, or minimized the penalties.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

But when the Cons win they do terrible poo poo and everyone eventually backs the Liberals again, and then they get to stay in power until they do enough corruption to get turfed for the Cons.

The icing on this cake is the Liberals don't even have a significantly better track record when it comes to protecting our social safety net from the ravages of private interests. Some of the worst damage done to it have come at the hands of the Liberals.

It's almost like the LPC and CPC are just a good cop bad cop routine for capital.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

brucio posted:

Kanata seems like such a nice place.

https://twitter.com/karenmccrimmon/status/1176072953966018560?s=19

Pretty bold to put a death threat on your lawn

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

For the voting yeah, but I imagine being articulate and knowledgeable about your pet cause would make it easier for you to agitate behind the scenes to get that issue heard by the junior undersecretary to the minister's page.

Yeah - a lot of the policy work takes place where we don't have visibility into it. I haven't been following the Trudeau Libs that much, but during the Harper years the CPC caucus did a lot of work to scuttle some bad policies from the government before we even got to see a bill. And, obviously, you'll have people like Jane Philpott, JWR, or Nathaniel Erskine-Smith who visibly and publicly go against their government.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Fair enough, but then your local candidate really only has real influence if 1. They are part of the party in power and 2. Aren’t a lowly back bencher.

I mean, there are deffo worse things to value than “individual competency” obv, but to me party platform trumps individual candidate almost every time.

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of Kanata, I passed this the other day:

Reminds me of the "anyone but Liberals" theme of last year's provincial election.

On the plus side, our riding's candidates are all women, so that's something?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
No, it isn't something. A racialized non cis gendered individual propping up the status quo is still propping up the status quo, which is only going to lead to a more bigoted society. You may as well be applauding the boot stamping a human face forever because at least the person wearing that boot is a woman.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

No, it isn't something. A racialized non cis gendered individual propping up the status quo is still propping up the status quo, which is only going to lead to a more bigoted society. You may as well be applauding the boot stamping a human face forever because at least the person wearing that boot is a woman.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

https://twitter.com/OttawaPolice/status/1176118520628875265

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Should I vote strategically for a Liberal MP based on the fact Scheer is a gently caress and I hate him most of all, or should I just throw my vote away this election?

On some level I want to do what I can to prevent the Cons from getting power, but I’d also be very disappointed if the Libs maintained power at this point. The NDP seems to be a nonentity in my riding — not so much as a candidate bio or photo on the website — and just lol at the idea of voting for the greens.

God our options are just putrid this time round.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Depends on whether you think damages wrought by a PC government are lesser or greater than those that would happen under a Liberal government. I’m not being snide, because as far as I can see this is the question this election.

There is a non-zero number of people (I’d wager represented to a greater extent on this board) who see propping up Liberals as maintaining the status quo and thus more damaging on a long term basis to Canadian society vs whatever short-term policies the PCs can enact before the Canadian specific hate capacity rises sufficiently high to trigger a political turnover (which, like in lakes, inevitably releases a cloud of suffocating gas).

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

mediaphage posted:

Depends on whether you think damages wrought by a PC government are lesser or greater than those that would happen under a Liberal government. I’m not being snide, because as far as I can see this is the question this election.

There is a non-zero number of people (I’d wager represented to a greater extent on this board) who see propping up Liberals as maintaining the status quo and thus more damaging on a long term basis to Canadian society vs whatever short-term policies the PCs can enact before the Canadian specific hate capacity rises sufficiently high to trigger a political turnover (which, like in lakes, inevitably releases a cloud of suffocating gas).

PCs are worse people. Liberals do more damage. When PCs do bad things, there's a real vocal opposition to it. When Liberals do it, they get away with it because PCs are worse and we don't want to help them. Liberals are just fauke enough to be able to explain away building a pipeline by "balancing the environment and the economy" and making a good show of doing carbon taxes but not applying them to the dirtiest corporations. They do superficially good things to buy license for the bad things. The PCs have to limit the bad things.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Harper got rid of climate data and scuttled the long form census Ikantski, shits pretty bad. I’m ok with pm photo op by comparison

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I am sad to say I did the strategic voting thing based on vote reform last election, I don't think I would do it this election. Having been lied to by Trudeau really sucks and there should be consequences for him and his government. I think that this government has been pretty bad. Letting conservatives win is opening the door for more austerity, more freetrade, more hard on guns type laws it seems? Cons and libs don't feel that much different and possibly it might be more important to signal that NDP can be viable in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In case anyone is even thinking of diminishing the folly of enabling conservatives, consider Stephen Harper's current occupation of being a Koch industries shill and Prager university chud.