Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Maybe, like everyone else, it's just because I'm older now, but I just can't get into the new album. Although it does have a plethora of interesting 'bits', the overwhelming theme to me is one of plodding sterility. Maynard may as well not have shown up at all, but I don't know whether it's because he can't sing anymore, or has chosen not to.

Oh well, at least now everything is on Spotify I can just repeatedly blast Aenima and Lateralus :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw Tool at Bonnaroo in 2007 and it was mind blowing. Tom Morello jammed with them on a song, and more importantly, they had a laser light show.

At one point, and I don't know how, the lasers formed a rectangular prism which then ROTATED IN MID AIR.

I, and everyone else who was roaringly stoned in the 80k strong crowd let out an incredibly audible "wooaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!"

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Wings songs, but god drat if it wasn't cool as poo poo on the 10,000 Days tour when the lasers first kicked in during that sequence.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I was at a Puscifer show in 2012 and it cost $40.00 to stand on the floor with the band 15 ft away. I caught a bag of peanuts thrown by Maynard, instead of keeping them as a souvenir I apparently ate them because I have no idea where they went. Good show, tbh.

Seeing Tool in 2017 for the first time was a joke. The floor was an outrageous price and got seats... Weird seeing this band in a sports arena with 9.00 cups of beer and nachos. Too bad I missed the Aenema days.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

angrygodofjebus posted:

Chicago. Was able to snag end seats too :toot:

Yeah that poo poo was frustrating, think I just got lucky. Took me like 20 different seat choices in sections 4, 5, and 6 to finally get through.

Have you sat in this end section before on the floor? I got a similar spot for the DC show (closer to the back of the soundboard), but I also have the option of sitting elsewhere in the lower bowl so I'm debating what to take.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

Fear Inoculum debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, beating Taylor Swift and confusing a bunch of teens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Cqbk9CJz8

It's always cool when artists become friends and can keep a collab going for over 20 years :allears:

https://twitter.com/ShawnGarrett/status/1173309234529726465

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Anonymous John posted:

Have you sat in this end section before on the floor? I got a similar spot for the DC show (closer to the back of the soundboard), but I also have the option of sitting elsewhere in the lower bowl so I'm debating what to take.

I've been on the floor before and it was real good, but there weren't assigned seats just GA. So not exactly sure how this is going to be with assigned seats.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a very distinct memory of buying Aenima from Best Buy when it came out. I listened to the poo poo out of that album in my room as a teenager, still my favorite.

I got Undertow and Opiate later and they're great but I don't have the same attachment to them.

I got Lateralus when it came out. I was in college. I listened to that in the car a lot.

10,000 days came out. I bought it. Listened to it a little, was bored with it, forgot I even owned it for a decade. I've revisited it and like it a lot more now, but to me it's kind of 'that other Tool album.'

I really really like Fear Inoculum for whatever that's worth.

I'm thinking about taking my 12-year-old daughter to see Tool in Indy.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Saw them in AL last May. They are very good live. The ticket was really expensive ($150) but I am glad I went. I like the new album a lot, but I usually skip the first song.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CornHolio posted:

I have a very distinct memory of buying Aenima from Best Buy when it came out. I listened to the poo poo out of that album in my room as a teenager, still my favorite.

I got Undertow and Opiate later and they're great but I don't have the same attachment to them.

I got Lateralus when it came out. I was in college. I listened to that in the car a lot.

10,000 days came out. I bought it. Listened to it a little, was bored with it, forgot I even owned it for a decade. I've revisited it and like it a lot more now, but to me it's kind of 'that other Tool album.'

I really really like Fear Inoculum for whatever that's worth.

I'm thinking about taking my 12-year-old daughter to see Tool in Indy.

Pretty much same, I was in college and listened to Lateralus in my car for a month straight, I just never changed the CD, it was awesome.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Wasn’t there talk of music videos for this album? I thought Adam teased that they’d be coming but I can’t remember where I heard that.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Wasn’t there talk of music videos for this album? I thought Adam teased that they’d be coming but I can’t remember where I heard that.

Wait 13 years.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just today found out that this album was a stupidly limited release with no regular release in sight!

Like, I'm totally out of luck right? There's no way to get the physical CD short of paying some ebay rear end in a top hat a hundred dollars?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It’s limited alright.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Geeze, how ever will you get a physical copy?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That will certainly make a lovely birthday gift!

But yeah, that's what I thought.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
buy a prepaid streaming card and write BLESS THIS IMMUNITY on it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
CD burners are still a thing? Man that brings back some memories.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

This was a festival show so they only had 90 minutes, but last night's setlist:

Fear Inoculum
Ænema
The Pot
Invincible
Part of Me
Parabola
Jambi
Forty Six & 2
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Pneuma

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aftershock? I had a buddy offer me a free ticket to yesterday and I couldn’t make it. Wanted to see Tool so bad. That’s an incredible set list.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
I feel weird about saying this but I don’t think Tool has progressed much since Lateralus.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Grudgerm posted:

I feel weird about saying this but I don’t think Tool has progressed much since Lateralus.

I don't think that's a weird take.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If the truth is weird, maybe.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

angrygodofjebus posted:

This was a festival show so they only had 90 minutes, but last night's setlist:

Fear Inoculum
Ænema
The Pot
Invincible
Part of Me
Parabola
Jambi
Forty Six & 2
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Pneuma

That's about the same number of songs they typically play in their tours though. I would not be surprised if that's the set list for this tour with maybe swapping out "Part of Me" for another deep cut depending on the mood. Their sets are typically static given the lasers and lights.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought they would play 7empest live I guess not?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

hatelull posted:

That's about the same number of songs they typically play in their tours though. I would not be surprised if that's the set list for this tour with maybe swapping out "Part of Me" for another deep cut depending on the mood. Their sets are typically static given the lasers and lights.

It's been over a decade since I've seen them live, but the times I have they definitely played longer than 90 minutes. Part of that is the set break, but I would hope/guess they play longer than 90 minutes even if it's just some extended jamming without necessarily adding like 5 full tracks.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 15, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

While I enjoy the album, and I'm looking forward to seeing them in a couple weeks, extended jamming is not something I'm looking for given the existing content of the new stuff.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Last night's set at the first regular show had some extra songs and they switched out Part of Me for Intolerance:

Fear Inoculum
Ænema
The Pot
Parabol
Parabola
Pneuma
Schism
Jambi
Vicarious
Intolerance
Forty Six & 2

Encore:
Chocolate Chip Trip
Invincible
(-) Ions
Stinkfist

Would like to see them play different songs from Lateralus but pretty happy with what they're playing so far.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Wait did they really play Parabola without Parabol at the previous show? That's illegal!

I could do without a few things on there (like I'd much prefer they took out Chocolate Chip Trip and Ions and threw in either Third Eye or Descending) but all in all a good spread of stuff, I'm looking forward to the show.

Besides the swap of Part of Me for Intolerance, they added Chocolate Chip Trip, Parabol, Schism, and Vicarious. 3 of the 4 are key additions IMO.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 16, 2019

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
They do encores now? When did that start? I've seen them do intermissions, but I don't think I've ever seen them do an actual encore. Am I crazy? It's been a while. I guess if they're printing lyrics in the CD booklet now, all the old rules are out the window, eh?

Grudgerm posted:

I think you're wrong, but that's ok, I totally get why you'd say that. There are definitely bits - or whole stretches, even - of each song on FI that you could put on Lateralus and they'd fit right in, but I think that's mostly confined to the middle sections, the breakdown/buildup/jam-session-y stuff. Mostly. A couple of them you could lift wholesale.

Also, I noticed that Norman McLaren's "Pas de deux" (this version, specifically) and Descending are the same length, so I did a mash-em-up and it works...surprisingly well...I think, but I don't want to put it up on YouTube and run afoul of any copyright poo poo, so just do what you gotta do to sync both those things up in a browser or on two separate devices or whatever and start them both at 00:00.
It's not perfect, of course, but it has some pretty nice congruencies in specific moments and in the overall progression and flow. My favorite moments are the bass line kicking in at 05:34 and the "ch-k-tchhh" at 08:39.
Enjoy. Or don't. Whatever.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 17, 2019

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Last night's set at the first regular show had some extra songs and they switched out Part of Me for Intolerance:

Fear Inoculum
Ænema
The Pot
Parabol
Parabola
Pneuma
Schism
Jambi
Vicarious
Intolerance
Forty Six & 2

Encore:
Chocolate Chip Trip
Invincible
(-) Ions
Stinkfist

Would like to see them play different songs from Lateralus but pretty happy with what they're playing so far.

How was Killing Joke?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Won't know for another few weeks! I was just looking up the first setlists out of curiosity.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I used to hate the song and now I cannot stop listening to Rosetta Stoned. The build up towards the end is my favorite and I love the idea of this stoner guy getting contacted by aliens and not writing how the world ends because he forgot a pen.

Also. poo poo the bed.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Obsessed with that song

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo the bed again. Typical.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

How was Killing Joke?

Seconding this, I haven't managed to get to a Killing Joke show for 16 years.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

somnambulist posted:

I used to hate the song and now I cannot stop listening to Rosetta Stoned. The build up towards the end is my favorite and I love the idea of this stoner guy getting contacted by aliens and not writing how the world ends because he forgot a pen.

Also. poo poo the bed.

Without thinking about it too much ill just say its my favourite Tool song.

Still enjoying the new album, Invincible is good, great even

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm a concert newbie. I've only been to a handful of shows and never Tool or an arena show - will Tool hurt my ears and make them ring?

I saw Tame Impala this summer at the Mann Center amphitheatre in Philly and despite it being super loud I was never uncomfortable and my ears didn't ring at all after the show. Contrasting that, I see shows at smaller venues in my area and those shows always hurt my ears and leave them ringing.

With all that out of the way, I'm seeing Tool in Philly next month at the Wells Fargo arena. I've been meaning to invest in good ear plugs for awhile now, should I bring them to Tool?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

My local record store just posted they got.in physical copies again so it's probably worth calling yours if you missed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm a concert newbie. I've only been to a handful of shows and never Tool or an arena show - will Tool hurt my ears and make them ring?

I saw Tame Impala this summer at the Mann Center amphitheatre in Philly and despite it being super loud I was never uncomfortable and my ears didn't ring at all after the show. Contrasting that, I see shows at smaller venues in my area and those shows always hurt my ears and leave them ringing.

With all that out of the way, I'm seeing Tool in Philly next month at the Wells Fargo arena. I've been meaning to invest in good ear plugs for awhile now, should I bring them to Tool?

Honestly, the best purchase I've made for concerts have been concert ear plugs. It's basically like someone took the concert and turned it down to a reasonable level. You hear everything correctly, and you don't walk out your ears hurting from sound.

My one ear is a little sore from the plug being in it.