Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Even if you do believe him, it's still a fully deserved DQ. If a series of wacky hijinks resulted in every land in my deck being smeared in marmalade, I still have a deck with marked cards.

You're right, James Bond is a great card sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tibalt posted:

Even if you do believe him, it's still a fully deserved DQ. If a series of wacky hijinks resulted in every land in my deck being smeared in marmalade, I still have a deck with marked cards.

Paddington 3?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah, like i could see maybe each friend grabbing a stack of cards to sleeve, but for one person to sleeve ONLY the lands rather than the lands and some of the spells is a step too far in my opinion

I mean sometimes people lay out the deck in piles, and then don't shuffle the sleeves or the deck and just sleeve from that laid out deck in order, so playsets of cards get put into sequential sleeves which may have a run of markings, and maybe their lands are in piles under their spells and get sleeved last. With two people sleeving that's not a reasonable option anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
For people talking about rogue decks, the main obstacle is the fact that a lot of top players stream their testing and there is way more info out there than there used to be. You still get decks coming out of nowhere like Kethis combo, but I don't think you'll ever see a deck like Dragonstorm take over a single tournament then disappear again. Open decklists don't really help in that situation anyway, since the main advantage of them is in mulligan decisions and cards that name other cards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MikeCrotch posted:

For people talking about rogue decks, the main obstacle is the fact that a lot of top players stream their testing and there is way more info out there than there used to be. You still get decks coming out of nowhere like Kethis combo, but I don't think you'll ever see a deck like Dragonstorm take over a single tournament then disappear again. Open decklists don't really help in that situation anyway, since the main advantage of them is in mulligan decisions and cards that name other cards.

It's less about entire rogue decks, but individual cards that they don't want people to know about. There was one Pro Tour where a team had Deflecting Palm in their deck and didn't want to do deck tech interviews because then people would play around it.

Then again, open lists lead to LSV doing a deck tech while he was the only member of his team playing a single Settle the Wreckage in his sideboard, so that people would think that the entire team was playing with it. And that gave us one of the greatest PT moments of all time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

It's less about entire rogue decks, but individual cards that they don't want people to know about. There was one Pro Tour where a team had Deflecting Palm in their deck and didn't want to do deck tech interviews because then people would play around it.

Then again, open lists lead to LSV doing a deck tech while he was the only member of his team playing a single Settle the Wreckage in his sideboard, so that people would think that the entire team was playing with it. And that gave us one of the greatest PT moments of all time.

link it motherfucker

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

A big flaming stink posted:

link it motherfucker

https://clips.twitch.tv/RelentlessDeliciousScallionCoolStoryBro

e: Not much to do with the story though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love the fact he nearly drops the settle as well

I think my favourite point is when he separates out three plains and a Legions Landing while pretending to get a vampire token

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

if decklists weren't open he wouldn't have the Settle in the sideboard, it's an integral part of the story

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Worth pointing out that open deck lists are a net negative for control decks, because in the dark you mull because a hand is too slow FAR more often than you mull because your hand has too much removal.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ultima66 posted:

Worth pointing out that open deck lists are a net negative for control decks, because in the dark you mull because a hand is too slow FAR more often than you mull because your hand has too much removal.
Additionally, control decks rarely run consistent numbers of removal, counters and sweepers from one to another so you'd know which ones to play around and when if decklists were visible to your specific opponent prior to or during gameplay.

Frankly, it is my dream to take my R+4 to a compeitive event and have an opponent call a judge on me when I drop Koth game 1.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's pretty hard to overstate how much I hate hate hate mechanically unique cards not found in boosters. This brawl deck poo poo is a travesty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they're going to be in nondraft boosters I thought

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lmao that they will put shocks in those but not the commander decks that have crept up to what like 40 bucks retail?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

flatluigi posted:

they're going to be in nondraft boosters I thought
Yeah it's not hard to get this right

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's pretty hard to overstate how much I hate hate hate mechanically unique cards not found in boosters. This brawl deck poo poo is a travesty

It's funny when that Brawl Signet is the most expensive card in the set.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Lmao that they will put shocks in those but not the commander decks that have crept up to what like 40 bucks retail?

It’s the first year of the product, they will stuff it with value and probably under print to increase demand for future installments. If successful, they will carefully ratchet down the value next year.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

salt shakeup posted:

Yeah it's not hard to get this right

You guys remember in the 90's how the comic book bubble was bursting and they tried throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the problem in terms of gimmicks? Die cut covers, holofoil covers, variant covers, mylar bag pack ins?

Definitely need to get around to divesting from paper magic except for a couple commander decks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hasbro’s financials are public and unless they’re lying to investors (always possible, I guess, though this would be a pretty pointless lie) Magic has been running incredibly hot for the last few quarters. Certainly at the time ELD was in development they were doing very, very well, with little sign that that would change anytime soon.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wasn't there some kind of theory that magic was getting run into the ground to make up for the rest of hasbro underperforming? sure seems like it with the way they're trying to extract money from people recently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
worst case scenario wizards would probably get bought by someone else if hasbro went under

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the simplest explanation is:
-WOTC sees what other companies are doing with ultra premium cards and decides not to leave money on the table; prints zendikar expeditions
-expeditions are popular and buoy sales of a terrible set so they make kaladesh inventions, also well-liked
-lets do something special for amonkhet too
-oh poo poo people hate these. time to retool (something like this was planned for ixalan and scrapped, evidenced by e.g. the presence of Scapeshift with ixalan themed art in M19)
ELD would be in design around this time

They’re constantly testing and tuning their various premium products. Witness a million Masters sets in a row, then the end of Masters; witness the short sad life of mythic editions.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dragon enthusiast posted:

wasn't there some kind of theory that magic was getting run into the ground to make up for the rest of hasbro underperforming? sure seems like it with the way they're trying to extract money from people recently.

that theory is exactly what you'd expect someone to come up with after they complained magic is obviously dying and were told it wasn't in the slightest

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Removing the public banned list is a bad idea for a lot of reasons. Dumb

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wizards/Hasbro probably deserves to take it on the nose for some of the more blatant cash grabs they've done, but so far there's no evidence that they are, and there's no telling if people will eventually get fed up or if squeezing consumers more and more will just keep increasing their profit margins. I think everyone's gut feeling is that people will fall back to Arena when paper gets too expensive, but so far paper's doing better since Arena was introduced, and they've still been pretty stingy with introducing new formats to Arena, so who knows.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Is there any evidence that Magic is doing well now because they've just done a bunch of good sets in a row? I'd want to see numbers now vs. BFZ/SOI/Kaladesh block when standard was just a mess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I assumed Arena was mostly responsible.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

Is there any evidence that Magic is doing well now because they've just done a bunch of good sets in a row? I'd want to see numbers now vs. BFZ/SOI/Kaladesh block when standard was just a mess.

This is from Maro's blog a while back:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187588609508/is-magic-currently-the-most-popular-its-ever

quote:

roguejedi6 asked: Is Magic currently the most popular it's ever been?

If you judge by sales, then yes.

If you judge by the number of people playing, then yes.

If you judge by the amount of organized play, then yes.

If you judge by social media metrics (how much Magic gets talked about) online, then yes.

If you judge by the amount of squirrels pictured on cards, then no.

So, no - 🐿

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Retromancer posted:

The Hasbro quarterly earning reports over the past few years have shown that Magic was doing well and Arena has apparently outperformed expectations as well as giving paper sales a bump. Someone linked to them in the old thread but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere online pretty easily.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dragon enthusiast posted:

dumb theory: corporate execs are going to try to extract as much money from a hot IP like magic as they can regardless of how the rest of the company is doing

if they were doing something that was clearly cannibalizing the future for present income then you might start wondering if they were desperate for cash flow, but the stuff they're doing is not that.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 23, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the fact that magic is the hot ip is irrelevant to those higher up in hasbro's corporate structure. They would do this same poo poo to candyland or scented dildos if that was the last thing keeping the company afloat.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hasbro's big goal right now has nothing to do with it's current assets and has everything to do with diversifying into mass media

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah the fact that magic is the hot ip is irrelevant to those higher up in hasbro's corporate structure. They would do this same poo poo to candyland or scented dildos if that was the last thing keeping the company afloat.

I would buy more magic if it came with scented dildos. Theory holds up.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The first product you will see if WotC are really running the brand to the ground in the name of short term profits would be a non-tournament legal printing of something like a powered cube.

When you see new paper duals and power, regardless of tournament legality, that's the first sign they're struggling.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chill la Chill posted:

I would buy more magic if it came with scented dildos. Theory holds up.

Rod of Ruin indeed

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mehall posted:

The first product you will see if WotC are really running the brand to the ground in the name of short term profits would be a non-tournament legal printing of something like a powered cube.

When you see new paper duals and power, regardless of tournament legality, that's the first sign they're struggling.

yeah there are definitely things they would be doing if they were eating their seed corn and “printing alt-art versions of cards and selling them for more money” ain’t it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hellsau posted:

It's funny when that Brawl Signet is the most expensive card in the set.
Seems to be Alela right now, then Knight's charge, then the signets. Going by Goldfish anyway.

I am still eager to find out if these precons aren't print to demand, because shorting your brawl support would be the funniest loving ending to the saga of brawl.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tbqh i'd buy the gently caress out of a gold bordered cube precon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think the legendary Merfolk is going to get real pricy when people realize how good she is with Jeskai Ascendancy and that her fail state is still a 1 mana artifact Dark Confidant in the right deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there’s a cap on the price of any card printed at rare in a recent standard set. look at thoughtseize— it’s consistently played in multiple formats and hasn’t been printed in any serious numbers in 6 years, but it’s still only $15! starting around RTR or so, the size of print runs exploded, so it’s hard for a rare to be too expensive.

going back to battle for zendikar, there is exactly one rare not legal in standard worth more than $15 (walking ballista, which sees lots of eternal play). There are only three other Standard rares worth more than that, none of them more than $20, and all three guaranteed to drop once they rotate out of standard.

basically snapcaster mage is the last big-money non-mythic rare