Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Agony Aunt posted:

Its looking quite cool.

Hey, look, they made their own engine!

I guess they thought about their gameplay requirements first before making ships.

Well, let's not get too effusive in our praise of the Infinity team here. It was originally a solo guy (later he partnered with another guy) making a space MMO called Infinity: Quest for Earth. That was in development since at least 2006 and he had been working on the engine for at least several years before that. He wasn't selling ships or anything, but he was soliciting actual game assets from the fanbase. This went on for years with very little apparent progress until he finally figured out that it was kind of insane to try and make a space MMO solo.
But it took 4-5 years for him to come to that realization. So it was at that point that they scrapped literally everything except the engine and started over with the Battlescape idea, leaving the MMO idea on the backburner, dependent on significantly more funding than was ever realistic.

So if we want to be accurate, Infinity has been in development for well over a decade. But in the end I suppose there will be an actual game out of it, and he didn't scam anyone out of thousands of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

Basically it would shut down people offering their opinions on thing, even honest opinions, and any form of excitement/hype, even genuine.

You don't have to shut down people's opinions or work. But I do believe influencers should be required to reveal conflicts of interests (direct or indirect). If say 90% of your revenue via Twitch/YT (or what have you) is tied to content around a given business entity; this should be revealed to consumers of your content in a prominent way. Something like a note saying "This streamer/channel has a significant financial dependency on [entity X]." Youtube already does this with some government run channels:

If you're posting random stuff as a fan, this would have no impact. But if $$$ is involved it has to disclosed. No one is saying you can't spread "hype" even if there is a conflict of interest. However, influencers should be required to disclose this conflict of interest.

Bofast posted:

So, a bit like the FTC Endorsement Guides but with more teeth?

I have zero trust in US regulatory authorities. I would even go as far as saying that the "gaps" in regulatory enforcement are by design. There are countless examples of this in the past 20-30 years. Companies routinely handle regulatory penalties as a "cost of business." Until there are real consequences (e.g. full asset seizure and mandatory ~3 year community service at minimum wage levels for all involved executive decision makers), the FTC might as well be considered a regulatory/PR/legal arm of corporate interests. An outsourced regulatory department if you will. :keke:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

trucutru posted:

If you get an invitation from Ferrari to buy their new super car you know drat well that you better buy the car or you'll never be invited again. That is what the backers would like to think is happening.

It is more CIG than that. Want to pre-buy a 812? Well buy a GTC4Lusso first to get an order in on the 812.

And it is true. Whales exist on every end of the spectrum.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
From 2017, but first time I see it:
http://www.gamersheroes.com/features/the-5-biggest-video-game-kickstarter-scams-in-the-making/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Star Citizen has passed the Duke Nukem Forever Fatigue (DNFF) point in the last year or two. When you go from ambitious project, to bizarre overpromised joke feature set, to practically a scam, to "I thought they collapsed years ago," nothing good is coming of that trajectory.

Sometimes a game takes a long time to develop because it's got a poo poo ton of cool features in it and even competent developers will take years to get it all working. Backers are absolutely desperate to believe that's exactly the case here, but there's another kind of project that takes a decade to "develop." One of constant unforced errors, massively overblown promises, preternatural incompetence, zero practical experience, and absolutely unwarranted ego.

Star Citizen is actually all the other space games that came out in the last few years and many of them were good. Star Citizen proved the market still existed for some decent space games, even if it couldn't fill any of that market themselves. The saddest part is the money they stole that could have gone to something worthwhile.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I initially misread the link as "gamershoes.com" and I was momentarily jealous that I hadn't thought of selling overpriced tactical fps sneakers and apm-boosting loafers to dewrito chuds.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I love the way Star Citizens go after these sites, they immediately attack the author, pointing out any grammar or spelling mistakes.

It's almost as if they know they're being swindled, but raging on anyone pointing it out is much easier than just admitting the whole thing smells like the 'goods inwards' laundry cart in an old peoples home.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

skeletors_condom posted:

I have zero trust in US regulatory authorities. I would even go as far as saying that the "gaps" in regulatory enforcement are by design. There are countless examples of this in the past 20-30 years. Companies routinely handle regulatory penalties as a "cost of business." Until there are real consequences (e.g. full asset seizure and mandatory ~3 year community service at minimum wage levels for all involved executive decision makers), the FTC might as well be considered a regulatory/PR/legal arm of corporate interests. An outsourced regulatory department if you will. :keke:

I wanted to recognize the quality of this post without empty-quoting.

Regulatory capture requires the subject matter to be opaque, that’s how you end up hiring from the industry.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffpuff posted:

One of constant unforced errors, massively overblown promises, preternatural incompetence, zero practical experience, and absolutely unwarranted ego.

Be prepared for the murkiest scam
Meticulous planning
Tenacity spanning
Decades of denial
Is simply why I'll
Be king undisputed
Respected, saluted
And seen for the wonder I am
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!
Yes, our teeth and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!

Scar, The Lion King, 1994.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPUe7O3ODHQ

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Wise Learned Man posted:

I initially misread the link as "gamershoes.com" and I was momentarily jealous that I hadn't thought of selling overpriced tactical fps sneakers and apm-boosting loafers to dewrito chuds.

Strangely, that exists.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/27/17290280/k-swiss-esports-sneakers-immortals

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeletors_condom posted:

You don't have to shut down people's opinions or work. But I do believe influencers should be required to reveal conflicts of interests (direct or indirect). If say 90% of your revenue via Twitch/YT (or what have you) is tied to content around a given business entity; this should be revealed to consumers of your content in a prominent way. Something like a note saying "This streamer/channel has a significant financial dependency on [entity X]." Youtube already does this with some government run channels:

If you're posting random stuff as a fan, this would have no impact. But if $$$ is involved it has to disclosed. No one is saying you can't spread "hype" even if there is a conflict of interest. However, influencers should be required to disclose this conflict of interest.

Sure, i'm totally up for people revealing a conflict of interests. The question is, is that guy actually on the payroll or otherwise getting something in return, or do they just have a hard on for the game?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

It's almost as if they know they're being swindled,

Err, they know. That's the thing and why many call it a cult.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/xXxCOBRA/status/1175902098023755777
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1176022654681321474
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1176024385628639233

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

That is fake. Where is blobber?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

Sure, i'm totally up for people revealing a conflict of interests. The question is, is that guy actually on the payroll or otherwise getting something in return, or do they just have a hard on for the game?

If you work on content creation professionally, and a large part of your revenue is dependent on company X, there should be a hard requirement for disclosure. Same if you're paid directly (e.g. sponsorship) or have relationships via an intermediary.

Content creators like Rexzilla or BoredGamer should have to disclose their relationship with CIG (even if say BG doesn't get paid directly; all his YT revenue is 100% tied to Star Citizen being a going concern).

I would argue that there also needs to be some level of "truth in advertising" and not the poo poo show we have now. A company like Apple should not be allowed to market themselves as being "privacy friendly" when it directly contradicts their own drat legal documents. CIG shouldn't be allowed to make fake ads like that 890J commercial.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

skeletors_condom posted:

Content creators like Rexzilla or BoredGamer should have to disclose their relationship with CIG (even if say BG doesn't get paid directly; all his YT revenue is 100% tied to Star Citizen being a going concern).

How? Their view numbers are both in the 10k range for most of their videos, and Rexzilla doesn't even make more than one video some weeks. There's no way they're making enough money based on that.

Rexzilla clearly has the Redbull sponsorship, for what that's worth, but if they're supporting themselves totally off views... Someone's paying them other than Youtube and Twitch.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Over on the sub:

CIG has been teasing out the "Reveal" of their latest jpeg for over a week now, adding a little bit more every day to a black silhouette that absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about. It's gotten to the point that even the Citizens are beginning to get tired of it.

Kind of feels like they've got basically nothing to show anymore, huh

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

spoiler: It is Crobbor, the vaporware pokemon!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It baffles me that people are so enamored with buying pictures of cars even though there are no roads built. Or cars, really.

Edit: Not only are they putting the cart before the horse, but the cart is a piece of poo poo with three wheels and just turns in place, and they're selling pictures of it.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ahh. Aquatic vehicles are in. Only $199.99

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

I just meant that maybe stuff like this already exists but needs more teeth. I don't really know how well enforcing rules works in the US (or the whole Federal vs. State vs. Local business) so I'll mostly defer to US goons for that. :)

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

It will be another stealth/EW/whatever-mechanic-that-doesn't-exist-ingame ship that punches above its weight. Buy now ensure dominance over the previous p2w ships.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Star citizen: dig up the info how SC is not a scam

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

Time for battle Crobblermon go! Wallet attack!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

According to Death Smessenger there, Elite was in production for 30+ years. What. The. gently caress?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

Wow, you're good at this. I can't tell the difference between a Terrapenis and a Polarse.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh dear... ED in dev for 30 years. So funny. So they started work on ED before FD was even formed and between developing the original Elite and Frontier.

Wow, that's quite an achievement!

Or in other words, they started development on Elite 4 before Elite 2 was event started.

I wonder if DeathsMessenger even... thinks.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

My "This game is not a scam" video has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my video

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha, good old Twerk, look at his shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMECfqmnGc

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Come on guys, it's common knowledge that Elite Dangerous design documents have been found on papyrus scrolls on the banks of the Nile.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tsar Mikey posted:

Come on guys, it's common knowledge that Elite Dangerous design documents have been found on papyrus scrolls on the banks of the Nile.

It is true that Cleopatra herself was killed with an Asp multi-cannon.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Some petroglyphs kind of look like Thargoids. I bet they were early Elite Dangerous backers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

chaosapiant posted:

According to Death Smessenger there, Elite was in production for 30+ years. What. The. gently caress?

https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1176053743365869568

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

My personal theory is that there's a certain kind of accumulated life-long psychological damage these people have received, a denial of the life they know they deserved because they were raised on films that reinforced that the rich nerd always "gets the girl" and gets to "be the boss" while the football jock is a janitor etc. At some point late 80's, the realization that technology was going to be a way of life had several effects. It brought people into the field that were outside what nerds of the time would consider "their clique," and many of those people wound up better at the profession than the geeks were. Even the words "nerd," "geek," etc. began to be a point of contention, and you had slapfights over what constituted a "true" geek/nerd whatever, with all the "no true scotsman" fallacies you'd expect. And even those who started out as a geek or awkward realized that they had to work on their social skills if they were going to remain competitive. Those people ascended.

TL;DR - game bad

You are, to my mind, 100% correct. The only thing I'd add is a somewhat disappointing reminder that most people are like this. Seriously. There's a reason every cultural group has their own idea of outsiders who they work hard to keep out. Anime fans have 'normies' (or real lifers in japan). Pickup artists talk about betas or white knights. Racists talk about immigrants, poor people talk about 'the elite', the elite talks about other elite or poor people. And everyday normal people have people with weird interests. Look at any time a certification group talks about revising criteria to remove measures that are unpleasant and might not be that effective in ensuring quality - there's a ton of people who have already achieved certification who demand it be kept the same because 'if I had to suffer through it, so should the people who come after me!'. The people who actually go "Oh gee I should improve myself to make dealing with me better for the people around me" of their own accord might not be one in a million but they aren't the norm.

This isn't to say that Star Citizens aren't doing some incredible mental gymnastics worthy of mockery to justify their decisions. It's just that I think you could take your average person, put them in a shitizen's shoes, and they'll behave exactly the same up to a point. Of course over time a lot of shitizens have seen the light and gotten out so now we're slowly left with a higher and higher concentration of superfans.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oh well that's a lot better.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Quavers posted:

Renting the mining ship for 7 days costs 865k UEC:

That's half the price of outright buying the ship in-game, at 1.6m UEC.

Better than spending $140 though :shrug:

But renting is in! And you FUDsters can’t say SC is pay to win anymore, eventhough every good ship is locked behind an impossible grind unless you donate more money to the Crobbler.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

MedicineHut posted:

That is fake. Where is blobber?

I was looking for his posts as well and surprised he wasn't there. I thought that was the most remarkable about the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:proof: