Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

On the other hand, Warlock is a pretty fantastic 5 right now.

Tempted to get back into dota just because of this tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DisgracelandUSA posted:

What's everyone's warlock build? Rush Midas? Rush aghs? Pure support?

Soul Ring and Arcane Boots into Aghs if lanes are won, otherwise Refresher

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Usually arcane, glimmer, agh's, give or take a wand or bracer or w/e.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

DisgracelandUSA posted:

What's everyone's warlock build? Rush Midas? Rush aghs? Pure support?

rush meteor hammer

the serious answer is "whatever your team needs warlock doesn't need items, but gently caress it go meteor hammer on every str/int support imo

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

if your support item build includes the word "rush" then something has gone wrong

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
supports are great because you can build what will be useful for your team on a game by game basis!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Supports are great because you can be extremely aggressive in the first 20 minutes and buy a ton of wards and win the map and do your job well and then when your team inevitably feeds and lets you down you can flame the poo poo out of them thus completing the natural life cycle of a dota 2 game

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love the support games where you win your lane with a spectre somehow and then you leave to try to rotate and then you notice he bought a midas and is jungling and then you see your mid also is now jungling and now your offlane, well he also is now jungling, and the other team just kills all your towers in 20 minutes despite not really having a kill lead or anything and you lose the game somehow with zero teamfights it is extremely rewarding haha

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I love the support games where you win your lane with a spectre somehow and then you leave to try to rotate and then you notice he bought a midas and is jungling and then you see your mid also is now jungling and now your offlane, well he also is now jungling, and the other team just kills all your towers in 20 minutes despite not really having a kill lead or anything and you lose the game somehow with zero teamfights it is extremely rewarding haha

dota is like rugby, you can be good at playing rugby (dota) or socialing (flaming), and these two things are separate from each other.

personally i'm about 3.6k at dota, and i feel like i'm about 6k at flaming. I flame in 90% (actually probably 100%) of games but have a 10k behavior score, the trick is to not use racism or misogyny or homophobia or tell people to kill themselves. just tell them to eat your poo poo or drink your piss or something similar and most importantly have fun with it, because if you're not having fun your teammates can tell and that hurts morale (:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

When you're p1 goes Midas + battlefury. And your p2 goes Midas + radiance. And your p3, he's got a Midas too. And your p4 needs a Midas as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the funniest dota thing was being an offlaner not playing the game for a year and coming back after the initial denial (among other) changes that forced the game into 2-1-2 and wondering why i'm 2 levels behind the dual lane i'm against when prior to my sabbatical i'd be bullying them to death.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 23, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
tbf the answer is probably related to pms.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Even on Ogre I buy something like an arcanes boots first before finishing a midas around the 20-30 mark so I can still keep fighting and capitalize on the early game leads

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
arcane boots suck

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

arcane boots suck

they own....if you're a team player.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
theyre the worst boot you can buy and only really useful to transition into aether lens but even then theyre kinda bad. their move speed is just so slow compared to tranqs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

guardian greaves you gd nooblord.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I don't think he's wrong but I'm bad but also a support. Most supports that traditionally go arcanes don't always make money enough for gg boots given you need a support item first. Soul ring with tranqs gets you further in most cases in terms of mana and hp over time and move speed.

If you really have a coordinated squad or a stun+kill potential with your str lane partner....maybe it's worth. But with runes and shrines and tp cooldowns what they are, it's not a clear winner.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Most supports that go arcanes are also getting euls/blink/force as their additional mobility item, and at the end of the day someone has to get arcanes so that your team can continue to snowball and not retreat back to the fountain after every objective because they forgot to get extra mangos. Either that or pick CM. I'm a crusader shitter on SEA server so people really need to be babysat a lot

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah I don't buy arcanes on supports because I need mana, I buy arcanes on supports so I can yell at my idiot teammates after a won teamfight to not teleport back to base and loving push with me

it doesn't make a difference

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

the funniest dota thing was being an offlaner not playing the game for a year and coming back after the initial denial (among other) changes that forced the game into 2-1-2 and wondering why i'm 2 levels behind the dual lane i'm against when prior to my sabbatical i'd be bullying them to death.

yeah lol

Cuntellectual posted:

tbf the answer is probably related to pms.

nope it was this

- Reduced lane creep deny experience for the denied team from 70% to 25%.
- Creeps now meet closer to each team's respective safelanes.

this made it essentially impossible to solo lane and encouraged static laning. the early game became less about roaming and rotating and more about just sitting there and disrupting/zoning the enemy heroes. i remember this being the worst time to play offlane in dota 2's history because i would lane against dogshit 2-3k players who would zone me every game and i couldn't do anything about it despite the massive gulf between our skill levels. in the past 10 years of dota history, being a support and just sitting in the trees leeching xp for the entire laning phase was punished like loving crazy, but in 7.07 it was actually the optimal way to play the game. i think valve expected people to immediately start 2-1-2ing to help their offlanes but i don't think they realized how much supports and carries hate offlaners. i think i asked for a duo lane in about 90% of my games and i got it maybe 20% of the time because carries and supports will much rather zone the enemy offlane than help their own. it was kinda funny because i saw these dudes congratulate each other repeatedly for keeping the enemy tide at level 3 at 10 minutes, but then would turn around and ask me how the gently caress their own offlane was still level 4. like it simply didn't register to them that the lane setup was symmetrical. then there was also that period of time when offlaners found a way to cheese their way out of this horrible loving game by pulling the first wave, and immediately carry and support players bitched that the offlane was allowed to play the game again and so valve discouraged that strategy in the most elegant way possible: by removing it

also the denying hero also still got 25% of the creep's experience, which meant that even if you had 4 heroes sitting on the lane and babysitting the carry, the carry would STILL outlevel the solo offlane sitting in xp range as long as the carry denied every creep. eventually valve realized this was a bad thing and went "woops", removing the denier gaining xp thing just 1 year later. they then whoopsed the deny xp back to a more reasonable 40% xp from 25%, which is still kinda bad and discourages solo offlaning but i guess it's not as bad as it used to be.

also clockwerk, my favorite hero, was horribly butchered because he was too good at solo laning in the patch where solo laning was deemed wrongthink. rip

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 23, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It swung the other way into pressure dual lanes shitstomping safelaners eventually but Clockwerk is still trash. rip

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Make clockwerk great again

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
when the enemy pos 5 lion rushes aghs - my team gets fuckin dunked on and fingered to death constantly.

when my pos 5 lion rushes aghs - he finally gets it at the 40 min mark after never buying wards and our racks are all gone

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I feel like clockwerk is pretty good in pub play, I've had clocks wrecking poo poo in my games.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Clockwerk actually has one of the highest winrates in pubs (this is mostly as a support though afaik)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Clockwork always sucked poo poo compared to Pharaoh mostly due to much worse sound effects

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda turned skeleton king into a mummy king instead of a green ghost.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They should've just told all of China to get over it and leave him as the bone king :colbert:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 23, 2019

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"wraith king" is vastly inferior to leoric "leo" the skeleton king

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
rip the bonelord

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Smythe posted:

Clockwork always sucked poo poo compared to Pharaoh mostly due to much worse sound effects

Pharaoh got me into clockwerk. He's the GOAT

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Smythe posted:

all dota heroes are worse than their hon counterparts. sniper is, incredibly, worse than both hon snipers

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minorkos posted:

yeah lol

nope it was this

- Reduced lane creep deny experience for the denied team from 70% to 25%.
- Creeps now meet closer to each team's respective safelanes.

this made it essentially impossible to solo lane and encouraged static laning. the early game became less about roaming and rotating and more about just sitting there and disrupting/zoning the enemy heroes. i remember this being the worst time to play offlane in dota 2's history because i would lane against dogshit 2-3k players who would zone me every game and i couldn't do anything about it despite the massive gulf between our skill levels. in the past 10 years of dota history, being a support and just sitting in the trees leeching xp for the entire laning phase was punished like loving crazy, but in 7.07 it was actually the optimal way to play the game. i think valve expected people to immediately start 2-1-2ing to help their offlanes but i don't think they realized how much supports and carries hate offlaners. i think i asked for a duo lane in about 90% of my games and i got it maybe 20% of the time because carries and supports will much rather zone the enemy offlane than help their own. it was kinda funny because i saw these dudes congratulate each other repeatedly for keeping the enemy tide at level 3 at 10 minutes, but then would turn around and ask me how the gently caress their own offlane was still level 4. like it simply didn't register to them that the lane setup was symmetrical. then there was also that period of time when offlaners found a way to cheese their way out of this horrible loving game by pulling the first wave, and immediately carry and support players bitched that the offlane was allowed to play the game again and so valve discouraged that strategy in the most elegant way possible: by removing it

also the denying hero also still got 25% of the creep's experience, which meant that even if you had 4 heroes sitting on the lane and babysitting the carry, the carry would STILL outlevel the solo offlane sitting in xp range as long as the carry denied every creep. eventually valve realized this was a bad thing and went "woops", removing the denier gaining xp thing just 1 year later. they then whoopsed the deny xp back to a more reasonable 40% xp from 25%, which is still kinda bad and discourages solo offlaning but i guess it's not as bad as it used to be.

also clockwerk, my favorite hero, was horribly butchered because he was too good at solo laning in the patch where solo laning was deemed wrongthink. rip

As an offlaner, I have to farm behavior score because low behavior 'support' retards still roam constantly and not only gently caress their offlane by abandoning them but then go gently caress the mid lane or something too. The lower skill despite their mmr, but higher behavior score players are at least spergy enough to support the offlane and win the lane. It's quite impossible to play offlane with low behavior right now and I find it hilarious. The old meta it was the perfect position to be since offlane heroes were so strong despite everything being against them. Nowadays, one 2k MMR support in a 6k MMR game sticking around in the safelane is often the difference between being able to dominate the lane or not even getting to level 4 in 10 minutes.

But don't ask your support to stay in the offlane, that'll earn you a report and give you more roaming BH retards =)

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 24, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

all dota heroes are worse than their hon counterparts. sniper is, incredibly, worse than both hon snipers

HoN axe is so much more fun to play it's not even funny. at least modern pudge is completely the same as hon devourer

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I know for you elite dota players this is just normal poo poo, but for a 3k pleb like me, I'm very proud of this arrow

https://streamable.com/crt1o

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Once the greatest defender of mankind and lord over the entire Legion, Maliken walked too close to the darkness and was claimed by it. Now he is nothing more than a slave among the damned --

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

is that the lore of the champ or the developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

is that the lore of the champ or the developer

Lmao