Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eimi posted:

Especially because if he's a warlock or dark bishop he will twirl fabulously before he fires off the spell.

There any reason to take him out of dark bishop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FractalSandwich posted:

I may have hosed up my Catherine/Shamir paired ending, because I spent too much time training them up for my Maddening NG+ and now they like Byleth more than each other. More on this story as it develops.

I mean, just have Byleth choose someone, your romance is choosable.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Augus posted:

The best crit quote in the game is the one where Hubert just laughs maniacally before nuking some poor bastard.

I've very partial to Byleth screaming "Here's something to believe in" before icing some chump.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Technically Dark Knight is better because more move + canto. But he looks far less fabulous so I do not recommend it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Technically Dark Knight is better because more move + canto. But he looks far less fabulous so I do not recommend it.

Dark Tomefaire too

I wish player Dark Mages and Dark Bishops got the sick plague doctor mask the enemies get

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wordnumber posted:

I've very partial to Byleth screaming "Here's something to believe in" before icing some chump.

Byleth's ”Allow me to demonstrate!” and Ignatz's awesome but incredibly out of character "LET ME PAINT YOU A PICTURE" are the best critical quotes in the game. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a big fan of Byleth's pre-timeskip "Let the lesson begin!"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I mean, just have Byleth choose someone, your romance is choosable.
People have claimed that each character can only get a paired ending with whoever's at the very top of their "close allies" list, and it's them or nobody. Assuming that's true in the first place, Byleth obviously ignores that rule, but I don't know if the system then ignores Byleth's presence completely when it's handing out endings to everyone else. That would certainly make sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

People have claimed that each character can only get a paired ending with whoever's at the very top of their "close allies" list, and it's them or nobody. Assuming that's true in the first place, Byleth obviously ignores that rule, but I don't know if the system then ignores Byleth's presence completely when it's handing out endings to everyone else. That would certainly make sense.

Byleth doesn't count. They're often at the top of lots of people's lists on my playthroughs and those characters still get paired endings.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

It skips Byleth and whoever Byleth is paired with. Like, if Dorothea’s top three were, in descending order, Byleth, Edel and Petra and all were A Ranked, and Byleth went with Edel then you’d get Petra/Dorothea at the end.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sweet. Crisis averted.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
They really just need to add something where when you choose your S-Rank it lets you pick which A-supports go with who.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Basically, the flowchart works like this:

1. Byleth chooses their S support before endgame. They and their future spouse* get a paired ending, and are removed from everyone else's list.

2. Endgame happens.

3. If two characters are mutually at the top of each other's lists, they get a paired ending, and are removed from everyone else's list.

4. Repeat 3 until everyone is either paired or has no A supports left to pair with.

It's theoretically possible for two characters to get a paired ending together even if one of them has more points with all of their other A supports, though that'd also be impossible to track since only the top three are visible in-game.

*Gilbert/Alois notwithstanding

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

galagazombie posted:

They really just need to add something where when you choose your S-Rank it lets you pick which A-supports go with who.

The way I found to do that was just to hold off on viewing all the A Rank supports you didn’t want until just before the last mission, so that by then the A rank you wanted by the end was probably capped out and the others only had a map or two to get there, which isn’t hard to avoid.

Of course, this leaves the Support icon saying there are unviewed Supports for the whole second part of the game which upsets my OCD but tradeoffs for guaranteed endings you want I guess.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

although there are actually some (or at least one) A supports that don't have a paired ending, like Bernadetta and Alois. I'm not sure if there are any other As without paired endings though, but that one absolutely does not, to my disappointment.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Mercedes' paralogue on Maddening is ludicrous. Every single humanoid enemy makes a beeline for the pair, they're dead by turn 3 regardless of whether you trained them or not, and the centre is a kill zone for 99% of your units. I had to warplift in my Ferdancer after casting retribution on him just to soak up attention on the right side and give everyone else and Flayn time to catch up.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
https://twitter.com/thatgalinthehat/status/1175967858272034816

dorothea's hair is weird :saddowns:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

It would've been cool to have a dedicated punch lord that also casted spells.
That's you. That's Byleth.

I guess you don't get fistfaire with enlightened one but I feel like they intentionally did not let you have weaponfaires and spellcasting in the same classes outside of very specifically mortal savant and enlightened one, and only swordfaire at that.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

IMO "Let me paint you a picture!" is the best Crit quote. Goofy and badass.

Weird theory on Genderlocking:

Did they just... design costumes for certain classes first (War Master, Gremory), fall in love with them and then refuse to make an "alternate gender" version of them? Maybe they couldn't conceive of another design for the War Master and figured it would show too much skin for the ladies???

For real no Dark Bishop Lysthea is insanely dumb though.

EDIT: I also loving hate that my fantastic lady Byleth in the fabulous wizard dress isn't allowed to punch anyone

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 23, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Time constraints is a much more likely reason, since the locking is so arbitrary outside of pegasus knight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lysithea can be a Gremory, she doesn’t need Dark Bishop. But I agree it would be cool to make her one.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I think classes that give 2x white magic (so Bishop or Gremory) are better for her overall. Having double warp and nosferatu charges is so good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s weird that byleth doesn’t ever talk but then you hear his voice when he crits

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still on the fence about this game, but while reading about paired endings I came to an amusing realization for the Blue Lions route: Byleth can end up Dimitri's mother-in-law, which puts a... different... spin on the story and their relationship. Pair Dimitri with Flayn, then Byleth with Seteth.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 23, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does anyone have that post/info about stat gains for recruited students and why Ingrid's stats benefit a lot from it? I'm considering holding off on recruiting her on my Maddening run until Chapter 11 or 12 so she can maybe be a failsafe in case one of my planned fliers (Hilda and Petra) gets RNG-screwed.

Cythereal posted:

I'm still on the fence about this game, but while reading about paired endings I came to an amusing realization for the Blue Lions route: Byleth can end up Dimitri's mother-in-law, which puts a... different... spin on the story and their relationship. Pair Dimitri with Flayn, then Byleth with Seteth.

IMO you'd like the game a bunch and and get it. The plot is only okay but the world-building and character writing is great. Also it's fun to play.

Also that last bit is a bit of a spoiler FYI. The fact that they're father and daughter is fairly obvious but technically a reveal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how this spoiler is so not a spoiler that the player is literally allowed to tell them "yeah... we kind of knew that" during the reveal

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Does anyone have that post/info about stat gains for recruited students and why Ingrid's stats benefit a lot from it? I'm considering holding off on recruiting her on my Maddening run until Chapter 11 or 12 so she can maybe be a failsafe in case one of my planned fliers (Hilda and Petra) gets RNG-screwed.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Also, it’s been discovered how autoleveling for recruitable characters in the monastery works.

The tl;dr version:

AnonymousTrollLloyd posted:

In case you want to skip story time, here's the formula:

Stat = Base + Class Mod + (2 * (Chapter - 1) * (Character Growths + Enemy Class Growths))
Apply the formula to each stat individually. Round up from .5 and up, round down from anything lower.

Stats are re-calculated each chapter, as if the character had levelled all the way from 1 in the enemy variant of their current class. Class bases are not a factor.

Every class has an enemy variant with increased growth rates. The Class Growths used for the Monastery are the Enemy class growths, rather than the Playable class growths.

Notably enemy Pegasus Knights are considered a unique Advanced class so Ingrid in particular benefits a lot from this. Also enemy Cavaliers don’t have a negative speed growth.

I don’t think this is ever really great though. Ingrid’s stats will be great but she trains I believe Swords and Lances in the background.

e: of course on NG+ Maddening she’d be a fantastic failsafe

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 23, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t think this is ever really great though. Ingrid’s stats will be great but she trains I believe Swords and Lances in the background.

e: of course on NG+ Maddening she’d be a fantastic failsafe

Yeah, I'm on NG+ so I can easily compensate for her skills there. Thanks for digging that up!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

IMO you'd like the game a bunch and and get it. The plot is only okay but the world-building and character writing is great. Also it's fun to play.

The only reason I haven't bought it already is that I don't have a Switch. :v: Or a television. And I have a hard time justifying buying a console for one game, even if I was to only play it in handheld mode.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Somehow, Ignatz has higher speed than Ingrind, Leonie and Petra in my run. I'm just going 'OK'.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Somehow, Ignatz has higher speed than Ingrind, Leonie and Petra in my run. I'm just going 'OK'.

Ignatz has 50% SPD growth and the other three have 60% so it's not that weird

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm making Ignatz a mage/healer in my Maddening run because I suspect having him around for Rally Speed will be useful, but I really don't want to bank his whole usefulness on his lovely Str/Mag growths. If his Mag doesn't turn out he can still contribute with heals, and he learns Physic, so hey.

Cythereal posted:

The only reason I haven't bought it already is that I don't have a Switch. :v: Or a television. And I have a hard time justifying buying a console for one game, even if I was to only play it in handheld mode.

Yeah that's a solid reason. Personally I think the Switch is worth it for a whole lot of games but if FE3H is the first one that actually appeals to you then maybe not quite yet. As for the television you could always use a computer monitor (unless you also don't have a monitor and are using a laptop).

Though they did just release a cheaper, handheld-only Switch.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 23, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's a solid reason. Personally I think the Switch is worth it for a whole lot of games but if FE3H is the first one that actually appeals to you then maybe not quite yet. As for the television you could always use a computer monitor (unless you also don't have a monitor and are using a laptop).

Though they did just release a cheaper, handheld-only Switch.

Yeah, I'm mainly an RPG and strategy fan, so Nintendo's standard wheelhouse doesn't have much appeal to me. Possibly a Christmas option.

Even if I was bored this weekend and drew up plans for who I'd poach and who I'd pair up for my first stab at the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The switch has Fire Emblem Three Houses and the best version of Dragon Quest 11, what more could an RPG lover ask for?
Well, okay, maybe a better port of Ys VIII. I guess one could ask for that.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 23, 2019

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I'm mainly an RPG and strategy fan, so Nintendo's standard wheelhouse doesn't have much appeal to me. Possibly a Christmas option.

Even if I was bored this weekend and drew up plans for who I'd poach and who I'd pair up for my first stab at the game.

Switch's rpg library's actually looking pretty amazing over all, honestly.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 23, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Supremezero posted:

Switch's rpg library's actually looking pretty amazing over all, honestly.

Not for RPGs I have any interest in. JRPGs are rare exceptions for me, not the rule.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cythereal posted:

The Switch Lite was made for you, my dude.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Calico Heart posted:

IMO "Let me paint you a picture!" is the best Crit quote. Goofy and badass.

Weird theory on Genderlocking:

Did they just... design costumes for certain classes first (War Master, Gremory), fall in love with them and then refuse to make an "alternate gender" version of them? Maybe they couldn't conceive of another design for the War Master and figured it would show too much skin for the ladies???

For real no Dark Bishop Lysthea is insanely dumb though.

EDIT: I also loving hate that my fantastic lady Byleth in the fabulous wizard dress isn't allowed to punch anyone

I think they definitely planned for War Master at least to not be locked, because on BL one map has a female War Master among the green units. She has the portrait/sprite/battle model of a much lower tier sword class -not sure offhand whether it's Myrm or Merc- but she's there, functioning just fine and taunting Hilda with the +20 crit the game won't allow her to have.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Cythereal posted:

I'm still on the fence about this game.

I was on the fence paying $60 bucks for a game. Since I usually clock in 20 - 50 hours for most games. I hate paying full price and switch games are slow to drop in price.

I’m at 200 hours now and will probably hit 250 to 300 before I’m done. I would buy a switch for this one game: Plus there are other games that would make it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

the dark mage classes kinda suck honestly but I still kept him in dark bishop the whole game just for the swanky outfit

also training up riding/lances is a pain in the rear end especially on BE:E where you get way less time to do it

DropsySufferer posted:

I was on the fence paying $60 bucks for a game. Since I usually clock in 20 - 50 hours for most games. I hate paying full price and switch games are slow to drop in price.

I’m at 200 hours now and will probably hit 250 to 300 before I’m done. I would buy a switch for this one game: Plus there are other games that would make it worthwhile.

I'm on my third run and hitting 150ish hours, will probably stop after finishing BL then do GD once all the dlc is released