Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Cod beta looks like blurry poo poo on X. Wasn't really interested in the game but wanted to see how much they copied siege and bf (not enough) and was surprised by the poor, blurry graphics.
Check your settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like I'm missing something in Dead Cells. When I die I start over at beginning of the game, rather then a check point or start of the level I was on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in Dead Cells. When I die I start over at beginning of the game, rather then a check point or start of the level I was on.

It has roguelite cancer. You need to play for 10 hours to unlock the good weapons that make it so you never die until post game dlc stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive been told they fixed it but at launch leveling up past like, the first time did nothing but make the game harder

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If a game on the PC Pass decides to break and throw up a File System Error is there any way to fix it other than reinstalling it? This has happened twice now after it ran out, which makes me want to just stick to Steam.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Real hurthling! posted:

It has roguelite cancer. You need to play for 10 hours to unlock the good weapons that make it so you never die until post game dlc stuff

Gross. I really like the look and the game play is pretty smooth, but the jumping puzzles are super annoying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Cells is pretty fun but it's sort of diminishing returns. It's pretty much a loot game in disguise and after a point I just got really sick of playing the same poo poo over and over. Still, I did have a lot of fun with it for like 20 hours so no regrets on buying it, but it stretches it's content pretty drat thin.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Never heard Dead Cells described as having "jumping puzzles" before

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

As soon as I finish Borderlands 3, the first gamepass game i'm gonna play is Monster Hunter World.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I made a thread for the Surge 2 because I am really excited for this game, but I fear that other than one other goon, I might be the only one. :v: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899438

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That one other goon is a big shot influencer now, so it should be poppin. Is it gonna be on gamepass?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No gamepass unfortunately. I don't think this publisher has a deal with Microsoft for Gamepass.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Not a souls fan, so I never tried the first one surge. Maybe they'll have a demo because currently I can't make that leap of faith.

I'm trying to limit what I *buy* now that I'm going full tilt services whore. I've got Luigi's Mansion 3 on vouchers, buying codMW, f2p destiny 2 and uplay+ ghost recon breakpoint next month, and then maybe buying Fallen order depending on reviews, but trying to just use my subs for everything else until next year.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Inside Xbox tomorrow

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheScott2K posted:

Never heard Dead Cells described as having "jumping puzzles" before

Avoiding the spikes and swinging balls is what id call jumping puzzles.

I also tried out the first bit of Gears 1. It's pretty much what I expected, big guys with muscles shooting other big guys with muscles. You are meant to stay behind cover until the waves are done, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, it's called a cover shooter

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it's called a cover shooter terminally boring

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've been playing 5 here and there. While it looks amazing it is still very much a Gears of War game. I'm finding it a bit boring. I doubt I will finish it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

I've been playing 5 here and there. While it looks amazing it is still very much a Gears of War game. I'm finding it a bit boring. I doubt I will finish it.

Same. Played it for like 2 hours and felt on board with it and then just totally lost interest in favor of other games. The game plays alright and looks decent but the series hasn't evolved at all. halo and Gears both just feel beyond stale at this point.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When you hand Gears and Halo to second rate developers of course they're gonna be bad, stagnant games. They don't have the same drive and love as Bungie and Epic.

Or skill.

Or creativity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Their mission statement was "make more of these 360 games we already ran into the ground" and they probably get constant feedback that x is not gears/halo enough from fans and execs

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I think the opposite. Gears and Halo play like CoD now and that's why they're failing. The uniqueness of both has been ripped out. The pace has changed. Gears is all about respawn modes now when it was a baby CS before. Halo is a twitch shooter instead of being slower and methodical.

They'd flourished before because they brought something different than CoD and were perfect for playing on a slower console/controller.

RBX fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 23, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
No matter how obvious it was that problems like "we let Bungie go" wasn't going to be solved by throwing money at it, it's still really shocking to see every single tentpole exclusive for MS outside of Forza just fall over and catch on fire.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
someone confirm/deny my suspicions: Bungie came to Microsoft with the basic idea of Destiny to shake up the Halo formula, but it freaked out MS too much and one side or the other put their foot down and caused the split.

I literally laughed for a good long time when I finally tried playing Destiny because it IS so very much Halo with a bunch of WINK WINK legal cover re-skins and a half-assed story to explain why a bunch of different alien species are being mean to you.

Edit: from the wiki it looks like they were already de-coupling a while before that so maybe not?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

How many people play Gears and never touch multiplayer?

I’ve never once done the PvP.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^I always try gears PvP but never like it

I agree with the "Gears is boring" sentiment. I got to the open world part and gave up.

Same with Borderlands 3. It's the same old poo poo.

Games seem to be increasingly devoid of creativity, really concerned about the whole industry going forward.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm glad that in 2019 people are finally coming around to what i've been saying since 2006. cover-based shooters were the worst trend in gaming of the last console generation.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok I understand that but also you could be making them boring by playing them in a boring way. I see alot of people trash certain games but they make them bad with their playstyle.

Being a cover shooter doesn't mean literally just sit behind cover.

Or people not expirmenting in action games and calling it one note and boring.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Games seem to be increasingly devoid of creativity, really concerned about the whole industry going forward.

Strong disagree. Those games just aren't the mega Xbox franchises.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah Untitled Goose Game is creative as gently caress.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

or triple-a games in general, really

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

someone confirm/deny my suspicions: Bungie came to Microsoft with the basic idea of Destiny to shake up the Halo formula, but it freaked out MS too much and one side or the other put their foot down and caused the split.

I literally laughed for a good long time when I finally tried playing Destiny because it IS so very much Halo with a bunch of WINK WINK legal cover re-skins and a half-assed story to explain why a bunch of different alien species are being mean to you.

Edit: from the wiki it looks like they were already de-coupling a while before that so maybe not?

Yeah Destiny is a lot closer to what Halo was initially pitched to people like 20 years ago when it was a Mac exclusive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

An rts?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Maybe I'm just getting too old for games finally. Everything is samey/low effort to me lately.

I'd ask which games you recommend but I remember we have polar opposite tastes from the PS4 thread.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Almost everything Platinum games makes has been unique with great gameplay. Astral Chain, Nier Automata, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Vanquish.

Every fighting series except Street Fighter is in a little golden age.

Rainbow Six Seige has low key influenced CoDs direction and alot of recent games like Gears.

Doom is great, DMC5, Risk of Rain 2, Nintendo exclusives are excellent, Spider Man is a classic, the Resident Evil series is very healthy, the 3DS has a huge library. Steam has stuff like One Finger Death Punch 1/2, Slay The Spire, and DotA Underlords.

There's so much out there just know how to filter through the opinions and where you're getting them from. Really just get a good PC and Switch and you're fine. You can even play the half baked Xbox games on there now.

RBX fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 24, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Siege is my fav game of the generation.

The last Japanese game I enjoyed was MGS V. (gameplay only, story was poo poo) I try to have an open mind with them and try the highly rated ones but I just don't find them interesting, consistently. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, FF15, etc were all extremely not my thing. I'm kinda hesitant to keep trying. Typical Xbox bro I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gears 5 makes a really weird decision to make its prettiest area Act 3 which is way after most folks quit. Also to be mostly entirely linear corridor shooter and then having short segues into being open world despite the open world adding 0 to the actual game and being introduced several hours into the game with 0 hint its coming

Its not bad, better than Gears 4, but like the definition of a B/B+ effort.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've said it before elsewhere but I'll say it here too.

Gears 5 is good for a gears game but ultimately it does nothing truly new or exciting that would draw in new players and keep them.

At the end of the day, it's another gears game for those that are still hardcore gears fans.

As a new game in 2019, it's pretty average.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Gears 5 was 100gb of my Xbox's hard drive that I decided could be spent on other things really fast. Same thing happened with Halo 5 and MCC, i just freed up the space after completing the campaigns.

I'm just finding my Xbone more compelling for game pass oddities and stuff like console conversions of stuff like Diablo 3 and Path of Exile.

I think every first party thing i play from Microsoft is years old. Minecraft, Fable series, Rare Replay etc.... And even then Minecraft isn't exactly known for being explicitly a Microsoft thing so much as an acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm glad that in 2019 people are finally coming around to what i've been saying since 2006. cover-based shooters were the worst trend in gaming of the last console generation.

Well not every action game needs to be hyperactive like Bayonetta or what have you. Fast-paced doesn’t equal better and I’m a bit tired of games being criticised for being slow (like RDR2 for example) when it can create a kinetic weighty feeling. Both types of gameplay designs are equally valid, whether going all out Rambo or hiding behind cover, in fact when I hear a game is slow-paced or sluggish I know I’ll probably like it a lot.

GoW is really tired and lame at this point though, but I don’t believe it’s just due to the cover shooting. It’s more the setting (can’t they take us to other planets?), aesthetic, story, characters that is unappealing to me, and I love military sci-fi.

I think Gears’ military-fantasy setting in the vein of Warhammer 40k has always been un-engaging and detrimental. It’s not in line with other military sci-fi genre films/games like Halo, Aliens, Titanfall or Avatar where there is speculative technology and a practical future human design to things. Gears 1 was mostly driven by the fresh gameplay in 2006 but by design the series has hardly had much room to grow IMO, it’s more like a tech demo.