Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Who else even writes good horror currently? I wouldn't mind a cool scary book right now

Bob Woodward wrote a super scary horror novel. It was even called Fear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Twitter can be pretty horrifying.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like Laird Barron :shobon:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

nate fisher posted:

The most recent book I re-read was The Ceremonies by T.E.D Klein. It is funny how even though you have not thought about a book in over 30 years, how fast it comes back to you (I remember the ending of the book after just being a 3rd of the way). I will say if you are King fan and like Lovecraftian themes, this book might be for you. Despite being dated and not perfect, I came away loving this book on a re-read. If you can imagine the movie 'The Witness' crossed with Lovecraft, that is this book.

It's worth mentioning that it's based on his excellent short story The Events at Poroth Farm, which is slightly more accessible by virtue of its brevity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Who else even writes good horror currently? I wouldn't mind a cool scary book right now

Nathan Ballingrud, Iain Reid, Nick Cutter, Joey Comeau, Kathe Koja, Victor LaValle, Jeff Strand, Dan Simmons, Paul Tremblay,

Some lesser-known greats: Michael McDowell, Thomas Ligotti, Joe R. Lansdale,

There's a whole non-Stephen King horror thread

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 17, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Franchescanado posted:

Nathan Ballingrud, Iain Reid, Nick Cutter, Joey Comeau, Kathe Koja, Victor LaValle, Jeff Strand, Dan Simmons, Paul Tremblay,

Cool thanks for the link!

April
Jul 3, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Without digging into the other thread, Chuck Wendig's The Wanderers is excellent, and I'm currently reading Alex North's The Whisper Man and it's absolutely fantastic so far.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thomas Olde Heuvelt's "Hex" was excellent.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

moths posted:

It's worth mentioning that it's based on his excellent short story The Events at Poroth Farm, which is slightly more accessible by virtue of its brevity.

I have never read that collection due to the price (cheapest price on Amazon is $42). I hope one day to run into at an used book store cheap. I do still have my original paperback from the 80's of The Ceremonies.

Phanatic posted:

Yes I recommended that book in this thread awhile ago (like 3 years ago?). One of the better modern horror novels I have read. He has a new book, "Echo", but last I heard it is still being translated to English. So hope to see it in 2020.

I looked at my Goodreads read list, and I am surprised by the lack of modern horror novels. I guess I still believe the best horror was written in the 80's and 70's. Out of my recent reads only Kill Creek by Scott Thomas I can truly recommend (not as good as Hex, but I remember liking it). I seen Dan Simmons recommended, but I would recommend staying away from anything he has written since Obama was elected. That said Summer of Night and The Terror are great (so is his science fiction).

I am currently doing a re-read of The Shining (I always re-read a King book in late summer or early fall), and I plan to start Chuck Wendig's The Wanderers next.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The Terror rules and is much better than the show, which was also good

April
Jul 3, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I am currently doing a re-read of The Shining (I always re-read a King book in late summer or early fall), and I plan to start Chuck Wendig's The Wanderers next.

Dying to see what someone else thinks of The Wanderers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I only know Lansdale from his Hap & Leonard series. What is a good horror book of his?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I only know Lansdale from his Hap & Leonard series. What is a good horror book of his?

Writer of the Purple Rage or one his other short story collections. Here's a Reader's Guide by DenofGeek

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Was about to suggest this one. I think I also saw it suggested way far back in this thread. Great read.

scary ghost dog posted:

The Terror rules and is much better than the show, which was also good

Seconding this. I re-read it almost every winter; it puts my shivering on night shifts into perspective.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Also putting The Library At Mount Char out there. It's not exactly horror, or even scary as such, but it's a cool twist on evil cults trying to take over the world.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think that's a very accurate description of Library at Mount Char, but yeah it's very good and fun to read. I still laugh just thinking about the chapter title: About half a fuckton of lying-rear end lies

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Franchescanado posted:

Paul Tremblay

if you ain't read A Head Full of Ghosts I can't even look at you

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Holy poo poo that book. I loved it. Dark as hell. When I finished it I had to go online and read some articles about it because. Well, read it and you'll see. I recommend this one as well. I've read Hex twice now, it's also pretty great. Real good Halloween readin'.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A new a King book is out, is getting really good reviews, and only like 3 posts about it so far?

I'm enjoying the read, but very early into it.

What the gently caress is a night knocker and what the gently caress is a cheesedog motel?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

blue squares posted:

What the gently caress is a night knocker and what the gently caress is a cheesedog motel?

As far as I can work out, a night knocker is someone who patrols a town at night making sure everything is ok? I think it's an old-timey american thing. IIRC Clarice Starling's dad was one.

I didn't think the book was that great. I enjoyed the intro with Tim, but the Institute bits were, I dunno, not very interesting. Also, why does the world need a number of ultra secret institutions where psychic kids are kidnapped, their parents killed and then tortured until they can kill people. Can't governments just kill the people the precogs identified with, I dunno, guns or bombs? Seems way easier. The worry about nuclear war seems very quaint now, as well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

blue squares posted:

A new a King book is out, is getting really good reviews, and only like 3 posts about it so far?

I'm enjoying the read, but very early into it.

its really enjoyable until you finish it and realize none of it was very good

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

King fluffed the ending - say it isn't so?!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

King fluffed the ending - say it isn't so?!

no, he fluffed the whole book. its exciting to read but in retrospect it was all pretty stupid.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I liked that, but much prefered Cabin At The End Of The World. yikes, that book.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am so-so on Paul G. Tremblay. I have read both A Head Full of Ghosts and Disappearance at Devil's Rock, and both I had issues with. They were the type of books I find myself racing towards the end not out of excitement, but because I was over them. Not bad books overall (I give them both 3 stars on Goodreads), but I can't bring myself to read anything else by him. Just curious does book Cabin at The End of The World play with is it supernatural or not to keep you guessing? I will say I do believe A Head Full of Ghosts would make a good movie.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

no, he fluffed the whole book. its exciting to read but in retrospect it was all pretty stupid.

Yeah I'm about here with it. I finished all 560 pages after buying the book on Thursday night, so it was a good read that kept me hooked, but I started to lose interest in the final 1/4 and only finished out of inertia.

The book was good in the first half for sure, and the escape was very tense and exciting. It was so early in the book that I thought there was a really good chance he would get caught. I had to hold the book a certain way so I couldn't see the next page, since I didn't want to accidentally see that he got caught before I read ahead to it.

One of the biggest issues was the lack of time spent bonding between the kids. The book IT is so strong because the kids spend a lot of time bonding (among other reasons). In this book, it would have been good if there was some kind of simulated environment that the kids spent time in and only slow realized was not real, because then they would have time to bond. With the way it is written now, everything is so gloomy from minute 1 that Luke wakes up in the Institute.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

tight aspirations posted:

I didn't think the book was that great. I enjoyed the intro with Tim, but the Institute bits were, I dunno, not very interesting. Also, why does the world need a number of ultra secret institutions where psychic kids are kidnapped, their parents killed and then tortured until they can kill people. Can't governments just kill the people the precogs identified with, I dunno, guns or bombs? Seems way easier. The worry about nuclear war seems very quaint now, as well.

Ditto.

I was expecting some serious existential treat. Like "If we don't torture all these kids to death, then we get the afterlife from Revival," something that couldn't be argued with. And I don't mean "argued with" in a moral sense, just in the "You don't really know that" sense we got here. The assassinations seemed too random for the "We're saving the world, so this is necessary" justifications to be valid so I was fully expecting the precog angle by the end.

Also I literally laughed when I read this, which is just awful:

quote:

Kalisha did. They were stronger together, yes, but still not strong enough. No more than Hillary Clinton had been when she ran for president a few years back. Because the guy running against her, and his supporters, had had the political equivalent of the caretakers' zap-sticks.

So incongruous. It's like that bit in The Young Ones: "Neil, the bathroom's free...unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta!"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There was a really funny moment in the book where someone says "HVAC" and another character is all confused and the acronym is explained. Like people don't know what HVAC stands for.

Also Stephen King is obsessed with calling streetlights "arc-sodium lights." I have read that in multiple books by him lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So King wrote an enticing read with a lovely ending? Well, gently caress me.

Dude has flat out admitted he doesn't outline his stories, writes himself into corners and rather makes poo poo up as he goes like a kid playing make believe on a playground. I enjoy him overall but just once he should start with a bitching ending first and work backwards for a change. Seriously, how many books is this where "it was good but the ending sucked"?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BiggerBoat posted:

Dude has flat out admitted he doesn't outline his stories, writes himself into corners and rather makes poo poo up as he goes like a kid playing make believe on a playground. I enjoy him overall but just once he should start with a bitching ending first and work backwards for a change. Seriously, how many books is this where "it was good but the ending sucked"?

That's what he did for Insomnia. A lot of people dont like that book.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

My big issue with Act 3 is that if you have a bunch of really incriminating evidence on a thumb drive, absolutely nobody is going to believe you when you use the thumb drive as a bargaining tool and trust that you haven't copied the data. And in turn, if you use that drive as a bargaining tool and the person you're bargaining with says he believes that you will turn over the thumb drive uncopied, you know that he is lying, because nobody would believe that. And I know that Luke's plan was just to buy time so that the kids could escape, but the vast majority of them didn't escape and were either just plain murdered or were killed by the circumstances of the escape attempt. So the plan sucked and they should just have shot the doctor and the administrator in the face Expanse-style and uploaded the entire drive contents to the cloud anyway.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 24, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I loved Insomnia, but I'm in a minority on that one in this thread. Then again, I also really liked Rose Madder, and my favorite King book is Desperation, so...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BiggerBoat posted:

I suspect that if he can't conclude a story in 30 pages, he'll just weave other threads in instead. He only stops when he's typed enough rope to hang my enthusiasm.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I started The Institute yesterday and just finished. It was very exciting to read for most of it, but I agree it all seems dumb at the end.

Also, why does SK like to date his books so horribly for the last few years? Do you think people in the future want to read the bullshit "The election was stolen from Hillary :argh:" multiple times in a 500 page fiction book?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

King also shows he has a hard on for Sansa Stark, mentioning GOT multiple times and naming a character Sophie Turner.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

Just curious does book Cabin at The End of The World play with is it supernatural or not to keep you guessing? I will say I do believe A Head Full of Ghosts would make a good movie.

Cabin... is absolutely unambiguous at the end. I far preferred it to Head Full of Ghosts. FWIT.

I'm a King fan and have been for over 30 years, but dammit I'm having trouble getting through End Of Watch. It's just... not good. The tech that the villain is using feels dumb and unlikely (and I know King has written about zombies and vampires, I know). And I read the first two of that trilogy and liked them, and I liked The Outsider. But I just can't get enthusiastic about End of Watch. Someone tell me that it ends well, please.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Teach posted:

Someone tell me that it ends well, please.

Thread title?

April
Jul 3, 2006

I've been trying to figure out why King's endings always seem to affect me differently than everyone else in this thread, and I think I finally got it. The endings, from an emotional perspective, are usually fantastic (hear me out). Characters we've come to care deeply about get to have rich, happy lives, or to die terribly and be properly mourned or to try to make what they can with what they have left after [plot happens]. In The Institute when Avery sacrifices himself and thinks "I loved having friends" I was drat near crying in my Cheerios. In IT, when Bill is half-asleep and almost remembering his friends, same thing, and I can't even tell you how many others. The characters & emotions of King's endings just always hit me right in the feelings.

Plot-wise, you are all 100% correct. From O poo poo HAND OF GOD to the ultimate meaninglessness of The Institute itself, to the weird mess that was 11/22/63 and let's not even talk about Under The Dome, drat, there's so much suck for one career. So yes, thread, you are right, but I'm going to keep reading King because I love the way the emotions stick the landing even when the plot doesn't.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
IT and The Stand had fine endings. Salem's Lot, Christine, Cujo...all good resolutions. The Shining, whoohoo that was a good ending. King nerfing his endings appears to be a relatively recent thing. His 70's stuff is great and his 80's material holds up, but when you get into the 90's ugggh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like most of kings endings. firestarter is an all-timer