Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I will totally hand it to the Star Citizen fans - Start Citizen has come a lot farther than I expected. It's implemented ship renting, it's got some planet surface simulation gameplay, and perhaps most impressively CIG hasn't run out of money.

I don't think Star Citizen will ever become a game that I'll want to play because of its frankly ridiculous game design decisions, but I'm genuinely impressed that they're still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I can't parse loving anything in that Twitter thread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pilz posted:

You are, to my mind, 100% correct. The only thing I'd add is a somewhat disappointing reminder that most people are like this. Seriously. There's a reason every cultural group has their own idea of outsiders who they work hard to keep out. Anime fans have 'normies' (or real lifers in japan). Pickup artists talk about betas or white knights. Racists talk about immigrants, poor people talk about 'the elite', the elite talks about other elite or poor people. And everyday normal people have people with weird interests. Look at any time a certification group talks about revising criteria to remove measures that are unpleasant and might not be that effective in ensuring quality - there's a ton of people who have already achieved certification who demand it be kept the same because 'if I had to suffer through it, so should the people who come after me!'. The people who actually go "Oh gee I should improve myself to make dealing with me better for the people around me" of their own accord might not be one in a million but they aren't the norm.

This isn't to say that Star Citizens aren't doing some incredible mental gymnastics worthy of mockery to justify their decisions. It's just that I think you could take your average person, put them in a shitizen's shoes, and they'll behave exactly the same up to a point. Of course over time a lot of shitizens have seen the light and gotten out so now we're slowly left with a higher and higher concentration of superfans.

What if you're an anime fan PUA furry gay gamer? (I mean outside Sonicfox)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I can't parse loving anything in that Twitter thread

A partial tl;dr of the "reasoning" is at least this:

"If it were a scam, they wouldn't need to keep asking for more money."

Yep.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

I was looking for his posts as well and surprised he wasn't there. I thought that was the most remarkable about the article.

Maybe a check bounced

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh dear... ED in dev for 30 years. So funny. So they started work on ED before FD was even formed and between developing the original Elite and Frontier.

Wow, that's quite an achievement!

Or in other words, they started development on Elite 4 before Elite 2 was event started.

I wonder if DeathsMessenger even... thinks.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if Elite was in development for 200 years. It's a game, it came out. Star Citizen is poo poo, it will always be poo poo, whether it took 10 years to make or 10 minutes or 10 centuries. I'm not sure I understand the zero-sum approach here. Elite is not Star Citizen. Elite was developed by game developers. Star Citizen is failing to be developed by a team of green barely-game developers headed by a guy who, sadly, descended into a career fraud. Comparing Star Citizen to any legitimate game is disingenuous on the face of it. The poster's intent isn't to compare development times; the intent is to get people accustomed to hearing Elite and Star Citizen being compared to each other to imply they are contemporaries.

They are not. It's just one more way Star Citizen keeps trying to rub elbows with real games hoping some of that legitimacy rubs off on them.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Enchanted Hat posted:

I will totally hand it to the Star Citizen fans - Start Citizen has come a lot farther than I expected. It's implemented ship renting, it's got some planet surface simulation gameplay, and perhaps most impressively CIG hasn't run out of money.

I don't think Star Citizen will ever become a game that I'll want to play because of its frankly ridiculous game design decisions, but I'm genuinely impressed that they're still around.

yes absolutely but this game was always measured against its ambition and that was huge. they were never humble over at cloud emporium.
it was announced as the game that blows everything else out of the water.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How? Their view numbers are both in the 10k range for most of their videos, and Rexzilla doesn't even make more than one video some weeks. There's no way they're making enough money based on that.

Rexzilla clearly has the Redbull sponsorship, for what that's worth, but if they're supporting themselves totally off views... Someone's paying them other than Youtube and Twitch.

Rexzilla primarily operates on Twitch. He is the largest SC streamer by a large margin. He streams 5-6 days a week.

Although some goons have suggested that his chat comment:viewer ratio implies that many of his viewers are bots. Either way, he is definitely not an "organic" SC streamer. Something is not right.

FWIW, BG makes enough to hire a part time video editor (and I recognize that with outsourcing the costs involved could be relatives low).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bumble He posted:

yes absolutely but this game was always measured against its ambition and that was huge. they were never humble over at cloud emporium.
it was announced as the game that blows everything else out of the water.

This is what makes their failure so delicious and nutritious. Chris Roberts insulted every publisher, developer, and game out there, talked up his game to impossible levels, then made something so bad that to this day, despite 8 years of evidence and having personally experienced it, I still can't really believe it. It's the best karma blowback I have ever seen, and the explosion taking insufferable cultist pricks with it is just icing.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 23, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kikas posted:

I wonder if the way the ship rolls to the side on approach is related to the fact that everything is really tiny. If it's small and the engine dampening it's based off distance to the surface, it's easy to assume that it is gonna round up the distance from the planet wrong and trigger in wrong places. It seems to work as intended, just in the wrong place.
You can probably explain half of the strange bugs in physics and animation with numerical stability. Everything is tiny and the engine only keeps track of space to a certain precision, so if you hit some numerical overflow/underflow things will go to zero / infinity / NaN in an instant and trash the affected ship or model bones. Those kinds of bugs are also really difficult to trace and fix, but since Crytek and all of their customers use the tools at the scales they were intended for they likely don't come up often enough to warrant fixing, or fixing negatively impacts performance.

I say "half" because with the way this project is being managed people will be creating lots of new bugs completely on their own.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

What if you're an anime fan PUA furry gay gamer? (I mean outside Sonicfox)

First against the wall, comrade.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That makes him seem more credible.

This is a collaboration that will blow our collective socks off when they drop this thermonuclear truth bomb. Bootcha will be running scared.

Edit: wow, he’s shilling hard for Starpoint Gemini 3.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 23, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Ultimately it doesn't matter if Elite was in development for 200 years. It's a game, it came out. Star Citizen is poo poo, it will always be poo poo, whether it took 10 years to make or 10 minutes or 10 centuries. I'm not sure I understand the zero-sum approach here. Elite is not Star Citizen. Elite was developed by game developers. Star Citizen is failing to be developed by a team of green barely-game developers headed by a guy who, sadly, descended into a career fraud. Comparing Star Citizen to any legitimate game is disingenuous on the face of it. The poster's intent isn't to compare development times; the intent is to get people accustomed to hearing Elite and Star Citizen being compared to each other to imply they are contemporaries.

They are not. It's just one more way Star Citizen keeps trying to rub elbows with real games hoping some of that legitimacy rubs off on them.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is what makes their failure so delicious and nutritious. Chris Roberts insulted every publisher, developer, and game out there, talked up his game to impossible levels, then made something so bad that to this day, despite 8 years of evidence and having personally experienced it, I still can't really believe it. It's the best karma blowback I have ever seen, and the explosion taking insufferable cultist pricks with it is just icing.

:boom:

Could not agree more. :thumbsup:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Good Golly, Miss Molly, I suggest you strap on those running shoes and get ready to dodge security again as the completely normal and legitimate "game" company you just joined crashes yet another actual gaming event in an attempt to appear as anything other than the frauds they are.

Get a resume refund, commando!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

That makes him seem more credible.

This is a collaboration that will blow our collective socks off when they drop this thermonuclear truth bomb. Bootcha will be running scared.

Edit: wow, he’s shilling hard for Starpoint Gemini 3.

They really need to be careful how they position this. Does development start when the kickstarter ends? Or does it start when it's a twinkle in somoene's eyes.

E:D KS waas 2012, release2014. THey get "17 years" because they started "working on it" after Elite 3 was done in like '97....

Buuut Freelancer was released in 2003. and they talked about a sequel..... so therefore SC has been in development for 16 years?

ok.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm glad that Wing_man and the rest of the OG Houston office crew got out of this hell-spawned game in the 2nd year of development and actually made and released an okay game within another year after that together.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

That's a HiRez Studios vet.

This means that the CM/PR/Media team is beginning to decentralize from LA, and/or, that $46 million is starting to be spent.

If the former is involved, I will un-ironically say this is good for CIG.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

You can probably explain half of the strange bugs in physics and animation with numerical stability. Everything is tiny and the engine only keeps track of space to a certain precision, so if you hit some numerical overflow/underflow things will go to zero / infinity / NaN in an instant and trash the affected ship or model bones. Those kinds of bugs are also really difficult to trace and fix, but since Crytek and all of their customers use the tools at the scales they were intended for they likely don't come up often enough to warrant fixing, or fixing negatively impacts performance.

I say "half" because with the way this project is being managed people will be creating lots of new bugs completely on their own.

When stuff like this gets talked I always remember hilarious bug that Elite has in one of its betas where you could stack engineering effects over and over and they would multiply, spiraling out of control quickly. Some players of course abused this and got to speeds like thousands of km per second in normal space (where you can fly like 1000 m/s tops, usually).

What did it break? Well, physics-wise nothing (I imagine you could clip through small objects easier because of frame accuracy and you would also not trigger instancing) - you could just fly around the system as if you entered supercruise. Of course once you swerved you got too many Gs on you and blacked out, which is something that doesn't really happen in Elite normally. But still, it really surprised me at the time that there was no crash, no overflow... just "wooosh" and off you were, with planets passing you by appropriately.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

SoftNum posted:

They really need to be careful how they position this. Does development start when the kickstarter ends? Or does it start when it's a twinkle in somoene's eyes.

E:D KS waas 2012, release2014. THey get "17 years" because they started "working on it" after Elite 3 was done in like '97....

Buuut Freelancer was released in 2003. and they talked about a sequel..... so therefore SC has been in development for 16 years?

ok.

Aaaaaaaaabout that... if we're going by first mention.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

According to Death Smessenger there, Elite was in production for 30+ years. What. The. gently caress?

Probably american years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bootcha posted:

"The look and quality of, say, Bladerunner"

I love how Roberts has no ideas of his own but just blatantly copies existing things.

"All sorts of live-action characters!" haha

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bootcha posted:

Yeah, but that's just some 2 bit cheap uninformed magazine, now if you can find me some Star Citizen info on a quality news website, like say, Pixel Lemonade, we know it would be unbias and the truth.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I love how Roberts has no ideas of his own but just blatantly copies existing things.

This guy has a bizarre Hollywood fetish. Even Hollywood itself grew out of that by the 50s. That's like a kid who's ten years old today being amazed by a whiz-bang slide rule.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

spoiler: It is Crobbor, the vaporware pokemon!

:ironicat:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Spatial posted:

A little while ago they had a sales event exclusively for people who have spent over 1000 dollars. They pitched them a minelayer ship costing nearly 700 dollars. Based on the sales chart on CIG's website in combination with the fact it was exclusively offered to those people at first, someone pointed out that almost every single one of the attendees must have bought the ship.

That whale milk isn't going to run dry for some time

yeah. it won't die as long as they keep spoonfeeding bullshit with occasional bits of content mixed in.

Zaphod42 posted:

yeah. i have noticed that. while yeah nothing is original really. he reminds me alot of Ernest Cline but with more space ship focused ideas.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bootcha posted:

drat why didn't he include this in the kickstarter or original website with 'the pledge'?

hmmmmm

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

spoiler: It is Crobbor, the vaporware pokemon!

:reddit: posted:

I can’t wait for today’s reveal of absolutely no new information followed by 50 poorly photoshopped jokes.
Followed by 2 years of absolutely no information about the ship and when it will be released. Another ship added to the BMM pile collecting dust

People are annoyed that it's been dragged out for so long. It's not even a cool or fun teaser either. Just a picture being slowly revealed.

The marketing is painful. Y'all could've provided some sort of information or a story or something - the way you've done it has killed any interest in the actual ship.

I don't even care what the ship is at this point; I'm more interested in seeing the inevitable "sorry for the poo poo marketing" comment from Jared.

e: holy poo poo lol I should have capped this earlier

This is a CIG employee lol

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 24, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

When stuff like this gets talked I always remember hilarious bug that Elite has in one of its betas where you could stack engineering effects over and over and they would multiply, spiraling out of control quickly. Some players of course abused this and got to speeds like thousands of km per second in normal space (where you can fly like 1000 m/s tops, usually).

What did it break? Well, physics-wise nothing (I imagine you could clip through small objects easier because of frame accuracy and you would also not trigger instancing) - you could just fly around the system as if you entered supercruise. Of course once you swerved you got too many Gs on you and blacked out, which is something that doesn't really happen in Elite normally. But still, it really surprised me at the time that there was no crash, no overflow... just "wooosh" and off you were, with planets passing you by appropriately.
That sounds more like they appropriately sized their data types so that big numbers could still add to bigger numbers. It's when you have a calculation with a divisor or a product of two numbers that loses precision that you start getting toward unrepresentable floating point numbers BOOM this vector now has infinite force!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bootcha posted:

That... that can't possibly be real... right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i have noticed that. while yeah nothing is original really. he reminds me alot of Ernest Cline but with more space ship focused ideas.

A lot of star wars is WW2 in space, but they at least changed a lot of things that obviously have to be changed.

Roberts though, with his Wing Commander script, proves that he literally just thinks of existing WW2 plots and drops them wholesale into space with zero consideration for how space will impact war or military.

Gotta push the ship off the space aircraft carrier's landing deck!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of star wars is WW2 in space.

Original Ep. 4 Star Wars is a lot more "cowboys and indians in space" than WW2 republican super space fantasy. THere's not even a noble savage to be better than.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Personally I like Starcraft where SC is cowboys in space and Brood War is red october in space. (we don't talk about SC2)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Game developers who look to Hollywood for inspiration should be sent to a gulag.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Anyone who looks to Hollywood for inspiration should be sent to a gulag.

McCarthy did nothing wrong.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Personally I like Starcraft where SC is cowboys in space and Brood War is red october in space. (we don't talk about SC2)

Man, the original SC/BW had such a cool atmosphere. I replay the originals once every couple years and it's surprising how much it still holds up even outside of my insane nostalgia. Can't believe they set that all aside for "Every race has a Space Jesus" poo poo in the sequel(s)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, the original SC/BW had such a cool atmosphere. I replay the originals once every couple years and it's surprising how much it still holds up even outside of my insane nostalgia. Can't believe they set that all aside for "Every race has a Space Jesus" poo poo in the sequel(s)

~ METZEN ~

I am seriously still angry (if you can't tell from my last post) about the SC2 campaign.

SC's world and atmosphere were really good. It was a proper war drama. All the factions did bad poo poo, all the factions had flaws and villains, people loving died, and it was exciting and believable.

Then SC2 is just like a goddamn high school soap opera plot.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Although I do remember being an idiot child in the 90's and thinking it would be really cool if the tech got better so games could be CINEMATIC and boy was I wrong. Cutscenes in games are agony to me. I kind of have a soft spot for cutscenes from games like SC, although they were used sparingly.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 24, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

~ METZEN ~

I am seriously still angry (if you can't tell from my last post) about the SC2 campaign.

SC's world and atmosphere were really good. It was a proper war drama. All the factions did bad poo poo, all the factions had flaws and villains, people loving died, and it was exciting and believable.

Then SC2 is just like a goddamn high school soap opera plot.

One of the biggest changes was how small the "universe" felt in the second one. The first one was written in a way that made you feel like something of a bit player in events, even though you were in charge of some "big" heroes or whatever. It felt like you were a small cog in a huge machine that just happened to pull through and save the day. By SC2 the game is more about the hero characters than anything else, and it loving sucks. It's hard to describe but it's sorta the same problem retail WoW has for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of star wars is WW2 in space, but they at least changed a lot of things that obviously have to be changed.

Roberts though, with his Wing Commander script, proves that he literally just thinks of existing WW2 plots and drops them wholesale into space with zero consideration for how space will impact war or military.

Gotta push the ship off the space aircraft carrier's landing deck!

Sssshhhhhh, we must remain silent while the Kilrathi carrier flies over us in case they hear us in the vacuum of space and attack.

That bit might have actually broken my brain a bit when I watched it, once.