Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Big Teferi was like $65 at one point, he's still over $20, and he's not likely to be reprinted for years, so I could see him hitting ~$50 and staying there. Azorius control is a top tier deck in modern right now, and I don't see that changing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but big teferi is mythic, so not quite what were talking about. Still overpriced tho I agree.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The comic book comparison is a bit flawed as well. The comic book bubble was in part due to collectors and speculation - most of the demand for magic cards seems to be driven by actual play, even in formats like vintage and legacy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Silhouette posted:

Big Teferi was like $65 at one point, he's still over $20, and he's not likely to be reprinted for years, so I could see him hitting ~$50 and staying there. Azorius control is a top tier deck in modern right now, and I don't see that changing much.

I’m explicitly only talking about rares. Individual mythics are rare enough that scarcity can drive their price up even in the era of massive print runs

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tibalt posted:

The comic book comparison is a bit flawed as well. The comic book bubble was in part due to collectors and speculation - most of the demand for magic cards seems to be driven by actual play, even in formats like vintage and legacy.

I dunno. I do see some stuff that makes me feel worried ( mainly securitization of cards via crypto) but that stuff is mocked by the mtg finance guys, so I’m hoping it dies quickly.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m explicitly only talking about rares. Individual mythics are rare enough that scarcity can drive their price up even in the era of massive print runs

4feri hit $20? Time to get a set, because those aren’t ever getting cheaper than that. Same with Lil Feri, though I don’t ever see anyone using a full set in modern.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

I dunno. I do see some stuff that makes me feel worried ( mainly securitization of cards via crypto) but that stuff is mocked by the mtg finance guys, so I’m hoping it dies quickly.

this sounds like a hilarious scam what are the details

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It is a scam, Rudy made a video about it. Basically idiots paying for "shares" of RL cards on eBay because idiots and their money yada yada

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

It is a scam, Rudy made a video about it. Basically idiots paying for "shares" of RL cards on eBay because idiots and their money yada yada

anything that involves crypto is a scam, but this sounds like an even more hilarious variety

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

gross
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5201167/f5605a0f0bbf

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So does anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that wotc is gonna replace Sol Ring with Arcane Signet in commander precons starting with C20?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Note they only want people that click the commander choice.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lmao every product absolutely has to be a loot box

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silhouette posted:

So does anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that wotc is gonna replace Sol Ring with Arcane Signet in commander precons starting with C20?

Why? What makes you think they'd drop one for the other rather than include both and drop something like Darksteel Ingot instead?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

why are core set 2020 and commander 2019 released in the same year?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Because the core set will be standard legal for more of 2020 than 2019 and they want to sell it over the entire stretch.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Jeoh posted:

Big box stores won't carry anything that says 2019 after December despite releasing a few months ago. Commander is a niche product where they aren't worried about this but if they want to keep 2020 on shelves it cant appear to be last year's product.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Why? What makes you think they'd drop one for the other rather than include both and drop something like Darksteel Ingot instead?

"take out the bad cards and replace them with ones that an optimized deck would actually want" is not at all consistent with the design philosophy of commander precons

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

I hope they'd do both, but I'd be okay with that. I have like a dozen Sol Rings but I'll only have 1 Arcane Signet when I buy a Brawl deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

You guys remember in the 90's how the comic book bubble was bursting and they tried throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the problem in terms of gimmicks? Die cut covers, holofoil covers, variant covers, mylar bag pack ins?

Definitely need to get around to divesting from paper magic except for a couple commander decks.

Not to sound like a Magic thread poster but lmao come on it takes like two seconds of thinking about this to realize that’s a stupid comparison

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What decks are people using for the Ranked Standard 2020 thing on Arena? I'm assuming that jamming BW Knights will work, but given that the format is BO1 there might be some better alternatives out there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mono blacks pretty good

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That is literally exactly the deck that wants a Cauldron of Eternity right

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kild posted:

mono blacks pretty good

That is an awful lot of 3 drops for an aggro deck with 20 lands.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

you do not want to be playing 12 removal spells main board in a deck that’s trying to run closer to the ground than RDW, and especially not 4 copies of a sorcery speed spell that makes you sac a beater

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Also put in dreadhorde invasion

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mat Cauthon posted:

What decks are people using for the Ranked Standard 2020 thing on Arena? I'm assuming that jamming BW Knights will work, but given that the format is BO1 there might be some better alternatives out there.

ArenaDecklists has a couple of 2020 decks on there. Jeskai Superfriends is pretty good in my experience.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Katana Gomai posted:

That’s where I heard about it from. Literally laughed until I cried, because the whole thing is like a Russian doll of stupid ideas. Somehow, I think crypto isn’t the stupidest part of the puzzle for once.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you do not want to be playing 12 removal spells main board in a deck that’s trying to run closer to the ground than RDW, and especially not 4 copies of a sorcery speed spell that makes you sac a beater

https://mtga.untapped.gg/profile/2c...ctedType=ranked

https://mtga.untapped.gg/profile/2c...ctedType=ranked

I mean it streaked to top 20. vOv

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The numbers on the right side of the list tell you how many copies there are, it's not all 4-ofs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

That is literally exactly the deck that wants a Cauldron of Eternity right

maybe in the sideboard but its pretty conditional when you're trying to use it fairly. a lot of decks won't care if you're reanimating medium beatdown creatures

also the mana curve + heavy removal suite of that deck is real bad

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Trying to figure out the best build for a Knights deck come ELD. This is what I'm working on:

Creatures

4x Knight of the Ebon Legion
4x Venerable Knight
4x Wintermoor Commander
4x Corpse Knight
4x Inspiring Veteran or Blacklance Paragon
4x Midnight Reaper
2+x Acclaimed Contender
2x Murderous Rider

Noncreatures

2x Demotion
2x Disfigure
4x Gods Willing
2x Circle of Loyalty

Lands

4x Godless Shrine
4x Blood Crypt
?x Sacred Foundry
4x Tournament Grounds
?x Swamp
?x Plains
?x Castle Lochthwain?

Sideboard
2x Disfigure
2x Despark
2x Murderous Rider
2-3x Witch's Vengeance
?x Deafening Silence

Maybes/SB Maybes
?x Oathsworn Knight
?x Doom Foretold
?x Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord
?x Foulmire Knight
?x Order of Midnight
?x Worthy Knight

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Sinteres posted:

lmao every product absolutely has to be a loot box

You know lootboxes were invented by the toboacco industry, makes you think.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

can someone with better knowledge of the rules explain something to me? someone told me that the comma in the middle of Urza, Lord High Artificer's 3rd ability means that abilities can be activated in the middle of it. For instance, you could spend five to activate him, shuffle your library, then activate a scroll rack to put something on top before flipping the top card of your deck. A judge friend of mine confirmed this is how it works, but it seems counterintuitive to everything I know about the stack. Can someone explain this?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Retromancer posted:

can someone with better knowledge of the rules explain something to me? someone told me that the comma in the middle of Urza, Lord High Artificer's 3rd ability means that abilities can be activated in the middle of it. For instance, you could spend five to activate him, shuffle your library, then activate a scroll rack to put something on top before flipping the top card of your deck. A judge friend of mine confirmed this is how it works, but it seems counterintuitive to everything I know about the stack. Can someone explain this?

they're wrong. i know a bunch of recent cards have a "you may do x. when you do, ..." clause where the stuff after the comma goes on the stack separately, but that is not the case with urza

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Your judge friend is dumb

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So that recent survey asked an interesting question: if you could get any 5 (non RL) cards reprinted what would you choose?

I know we’ll have a few people say Oubliette, but I personally feel Rhystic Study is far overdue a reprint.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Retromancer posted:

The explanation is that your judge friend is wrong. Your knowledge of the rules is fine.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Balon posted:

So that recent survey asked an interesting question: if you could get any 5 (non RL) cards reprinted what would you choose?

I know we’ll have a few people say Oubliette, but I personally feel Rhystic Study is far overdue a reprint.

die screaming.

The fewer Rhystic Studies floating around the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Reprint Mox Opal tia