Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just takes more practice. You should join VRS, they provide a telemetry logger, and with a free account you get 4 (contiguous) hours of access to a single data pack a week, letting you analyze your line, throttle, brake, and steering traces vs their example lap. I find I can usually gain another second over my natural pace with their help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar this week is a oneoff DW12 (free!) at old Pocono (free!) race in just over 8 hours from this post so be sure to :getin:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have a total of like three Mazda races under my belt as my entire iRacing career and I will be racing the DW12 in Charlotte until they change tracks.

I have several goals. The first is 10 laps, then we’ll think about finishing.

In three races only one race ending crash was more or less my fault (I tried to slip by a guy spinning out and hit the wall just enough to start a catastrophic chain). Another was maybe 50/50 my fault but rookie Dallaras are impossible to say really. Was I holding a line? Was he holding a line? Are there lines? If I knock all the suspensions up but the car is flipped over, am I right side up?

Hilariously my best start so far was when the guy in front of me checked up pretty hard during the rolling start, which of course caused me to, resulting in me being flipped perfectly into the infield. I towed and missed about three more crashes in that time and got in a nice bubble until that wall.

I’m honestly trying my best but it’s hard not to be laughing out loud most of the race. There’s nothing like watching a guy completely lose it by himself because you’re within a half second of him and he knows at some point you’re going to pass him. Of the races I was in, being on the lead lap meant a podium.

Is this the right way to enjoy week 13?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's all about the figure 8 racing, my dude

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I didn’t know that was an iRacing option, it sounds amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Week 13 is the wacky week where all the races are made up and the points don't matter

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I got sent into the crowd full on Le Mans 1955 style in my last Figure GR8 race and it was hilarious

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey, I finished a Dallara race two laps down at the head of a pack of 5 on my lap. Had a good 15 laps behind P2 that stayed incident free the pack around me moved me from P11 to P5.

I was involved in a wreck early where someone just couldn’t resist not holding brake, but it only damaged my front wing and I was back out quick.

Cool.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
IndyCar without cautions on a 1.5 mi oval horrifies me

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s nothing to fear so long as you unbind the brake pedal and find a religion of your choosing.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

IndyCar without cautions on a 1.5 mi oval horrifies me

Tried this last night. I forgot how fast those things are.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

New patch seems to have increased the stuttering in vr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

:waycool:

perfect

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i bought a load of your mates stuff :) shipping is pricy but worth it cos it's exactly what I needed and noone else is exploiting the niche

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NtotheTC posted:

i bought a load of your mates stuff :) shipping is pricy but worth it cos it's exactly what I needed and noone else is exploiting the niche

Nice! Thanks for supporting Jon, he's a good dude.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

What are you settings and your PC specs? I have not had any issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey so that new bug where the game crashes between practice and qualifying sure is fun!!!!!

I love scrambling to get everything running while the qualifying clock ticks down :ssj:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I assume you mean the skippy crash bug? The workaround for now is to not join your race session directly from practice. Make sure to exit the sim when it's time for your race and start your session from the site. I haven't been disconnected at all doing that.

It's a bit poo poo that this has been happening to people all week. They should have a message with the work around in a prominent place on the members site.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They really should. Ok, good to know it’s just skips and there is a workaround.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder of GoonTouringCar tonight, 5 hours from this post. TCR + Kia (free!) at Summit Point (free!)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Jewce posted:

How come there's nothing in the OP about the crew chief app? I installed it last night and it's great.

I'm starting to reach the point where I'm good enough to get really frustrated at not being good.

I joined iracing a little over two weeks ago and I'm working on the mx5 cup. Laguna Seca is my second track and I've got my time down to 1:43.76, which is way off the leader, but feels good when I'm doing it. Still, obvious mistakes to work on so it's fun just trying to clean things up and, most of all, get consistent.

That's my biggest weakness.. I just can't string laps together. One little mistake and you lose a half second.. It's so frustrating.

Loving Simracing and glad I joined iracing. It's really fun, even if sometimes I loving hate it.

After this post I decided to try this Crew Chief app out a little bit. For reference I only run road races occasionally and mostly run asphalt circle track. I think I need to work on the customization of it a little bit because I'm not really getting the info I would want. Getting the lap times read out is helpful and they actually read out temp changes to the track surface and air temp which is something that can be a little helpful if you want to make a mid run tire change or something. What I would like during longer races, like the 100 lap Super Late Models, are some updates on tire wear, temp, and pressure. I think you can have it give you that sort of information but I haven't figured it out yet. I also don't run a headset/mic so I'm not using voice activation but I think you can actually ask for that stuff via a mic. The spotter info is kind of spotty and also the iRacing default spotter is not canceled out by the app so a lot of the time I have both spotters giving me info, or sometimes the Crew Chief spotter is radio silent to other cars on track that are slow, pulled to the bottom or top or whatever. As of now I think I need to customize the app a little better but so far it has more negatives than positives in my book.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Biggest for me is calling out incidents, and doing fuel calculations for me on the fly. I have it set to fuel me for time+1 lap automatically when I pull into the pits. I'm not sure if iRacing exposes damage and tire conditions/temps for crew chief to see, I know it gives tire and damage info in pcars

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

What are you settings and your PC specs? I have not had any issues.

i5-6600k and 1080ti gtx but I also run sim racing studio for a buttkicker which seems to require more cpu. Maybe it's time to look into overclocking a bit

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

i5-6600k and 1080ti gtx but I also run sim racing studio for a buttkicker which seems to require more cpu. Maybe it's time to look into overclocking a bit

I swapped out my cpu from an i5-6600 to an i7-6700k and it helped a lot.

Also post processing and HDR eats up a lot of fill rate from the gpu. They are releasing a small fix for that this week supposedly.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Had to turn off sim racing studio bc it’s borked and just beeps incessantly. Anyone have a good shift aid app they use?

In other news i finally managed to clock times in the upper split for a practice session in the skippy. Gotta love brands hatch. Last and first corner always the bitch though. Also really gotta watch out before tires getting up to temp with the new patch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've never gotten remotely decent VR performance from iRacing, even compared to other VR apps. I have a loving 2080Ti and I still have to keep settings on absolute bare minimums to get reasonable frame rates when in a race with lots of other cars.

The price you pay for good sim racing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your CPU is probably the bottleneck.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I use shift aid, works a treat just get the updated cars ini file from their GitHub

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cojawfee posted:

This. I don't believe I have ever seen the "gpu bottleneck" icon in iRacing when reprojection kicks in. This is with only a lowly 2080 non-Ti.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

It probably is, but I have an OC'd 6700k. I was considering upgrading to an 9700k but like, literally everything else runs perfectly already. I dunno.

I look in all the diagnostic tools I have and the CPU isn't maxed out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zaphod42 posted:

It probably is, but I have an OC'd 6700k. I was considering upgrading to an 9700k but like, literally everything else runs perfectly already. I dunno.

Which diagnostic tools? Turn on the ones in iRacing and have them display numbers and not bars. One is R, and I think that's the CPU Render and the other is G I think and that's GPU render time. The number is the time in milliseconds it takes to render a frame. Divide 1 by the framerate you're trying to hit and multiply by 1000. If one of those two numbers goes above the number you just calculated, that's your bottleneck.

The game only runs on one core, so your CPU will never be maxed out by iRacing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I have a modestly overclocked 9700K and the game runs quite well with a 1080. At least, it did on Rift. I'll have to try again on the Index, which is much higher resolution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My 2600x and 1080ti do just fine in VR (OG Rift) so I’d imagine it’s your cpu

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Your poo poo is hosed, im smooth 90 fps at full graphics w a 1070 and a 3770k. Whats your pixel density at? And also your cars rendered?

OhsH fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 24, 2019

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Make sure in steamvr you don't have resolution % ramped up

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Random suggestion: try deleting rendererDX11.ini (in the iRacing subfolder in your Documents/My Documents folder), let the game generate a new one, and then make sure it has the proper VR API selected (Oculus versus OpenVR) and that ResolutionScalePct=100 (or, if using Oculus, that PixelsPerDisplayPixel=100).

I loaded up iRacing for the first time since going from Rift to Index. It ran like hot garbage, even with lovely settings, even after I corrected the API from Rift to OpenVR and the resolution scale to 100. I deleted that ini, let the game generate a new one, and then manually switched it to ignore Oculus API in favor of OpenVR.

After doing so, the game's running at 120FPS with most graphics settings at medium/high levels. Granted that's just in a practice session—I'm way too rusty and bad to do an actual race at the moment—but 40FPS to 120FPS just from resetting an ini was kinda nuts. Hooray PC gaming.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
First Gooncar with new Skip damage model on Sunday, usual time, check your league sessions etc.

Non-championship race because I'm going to test a new caution idea: 50 lap race, 1 standard caution at half distance, cautions only occur when a wreck causes over 50% of the field to be a lap or more down on the leader (all admin controlled). Everyone -1L gets that lap back under yellow, everyone -2L gets back to -1L (this is the bit that needs testing, may change on the fly).

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren:GOONCAR FALL 2019 FLYING WHEELS CHAOS CHAMPIONSHIP:siren:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Random suggestion: try deleting rendererDX11.ini (in the iRacing subfolder in your Documents/My Documents folder), let the game generate a new one, and then make sure it has the proper VR API selected (Oculus versus OpenVR) and that ResolutionScalePct=100 (or, if using Oculus, that PixelsPerDisplayPixel=100).

I loaded up iRacing for the first time since going from Rift to Index. It ran like hot garbage, even with lovely settings, even after I corrected the API from Rift to OpenVR and the resolution scale to 100. I deleted that ini, let the game generate a new one, and then manually switched it to ignore Oculus API in favor of OpenVR.

After doing so, the game's running at 120FPS with most graphics settings at medium/high levels. Granted that's just in a practice session—I'm way too rusty and bad to do an actual race at the moment—but 40FPS to 120FPS just from resetting an ini was kinda nuts. Hooray PC gaming.

Thanks for the suggestions, let me try that out. I also just uninstalled Revive and Oculus because I never use them, and there's a solid shot they were interfering somehow.

E: Recreated settings file, forced SPS on and oculus off and openVR on, and performance is 90fps when solo but drops into 60s and even 50s when there's a traffic jam in a race replay. Not good.

Then after going through all the settings one by one, I found it. The game keeps turning dynamic cubemaps to 1. I change it to 0, and instantly I get perfect 90fps even if I start cranking up all the other settings.

But when I close the game and open it back up, it changes dynamic cubemaps back to 1 and my performance tanks again! Going to have to make the settings file read-only or something :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
iRacing - spend 2 hours practicing for a race, get a great start and then get loving netcoded in turn 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rLraYkxn9g

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 30, 2019