Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
but why do it there when i can just drive an hour to do the same and also not buy a funko bob's big boy bobble head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloodnose posted:

I maintain that the most important Japanese food experience is eating at a Bob's Big Boy.

He's Australian, he should go to Outback Steakhouse.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Even as a picky eater like me, it's almost impossible to have a bad meal in Japan, so don't stress too much about finding the perfect restaurant.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We had one member of our party who had a lot of trouble eating basically anything that wasn’t shrimp or tempura, but they’re like that in the States, so whatever.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Even as a picky eater like me, it's almost impossible to have a bad meal in Japan, so don't stress too much about finding the perfect restaurant.

Contrary to popular perception, 90% of the Japanese diet is fried chicken anyway.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jeza posted:

Contrary to popular perception, 90% of the Japanese diet is fried chicken anyway.

Do what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think Jeza mistook me for Japanese.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

It's called Saizeriya, but instead of unlimited soup and breadsticks you get unlimited wine

Fuuuuuck, I had no idea Olive Garden was that bad.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Any favorite spots in Tokyo not too out of the way for chirashi bowls? We're not planning on going to Tsukiji.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Any favorite spots in Tokyo not too out of the way for chirashi bowls? We're not planning on going to Tsukiji.

The regular lunch chirashi here is really good cost performance.

https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1310/A131003/13011654/

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have to move dates and rebook everything so I may as well ask now - I am very into youkai and ghosts, where are some haunted places I can go to? Tokyo and Kansai region. Kyoto's gotta be super haunted right?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
There’s this place called Roppongi which is good for getting involved with shadowy figures that haunt the night

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I was just trying to remember this one random shop at the base of Skytree that had the best Chinese I've had in forever.. Finally came across it after a ton of searching:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...ture_Kanto.html

Mainly posting this so I can find it next April :q:

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
What would you say is about the general cutoff point, population-wise, before a place starts to feel like a city? We're talking the difference between 都会 and 地方都市 here.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
actually, literally everything is equal everywhere, and if you suggest otherwise, u r a racist

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

magikid posted:

What would you say is about the general cutoff point, population-wise, before a place starts to feel like a city? We're talking the difference between 都会 and 地方都市 here.

500,000 is a rural prefectural capital, like Matsuyama. Double that for a Big City

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

actually, literally everything is equal everywhere, and if you suggest otherwise, u r a racist

投稿をサインしないでください

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Martytoof posted:

Man, I was just trying to remember this one random shop at the base of Skytree that had the best Chinese I've had in forever.. Finally came across it after a ton of searching:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...ture_Kanto.html

Mainly posting this so I can find it next April :q:

aw fuckin nice. I was jonesing for some good Chinese when I was in Osaka but didn’t find anything good, not like I looked too hard tho.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
...why can’t I use my Visa for buying DisneySea tickets? I called my bank to authorize it and it’s still giving me an error.

Anyone know if buying these tickets counts as a foreign transaction? There’s a 3% charge for those which is why I’m hesitating using my Mastercard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah it’s a foreign transaction

there’s a new visa “3D Check” system that seems to gently caress up the handshake that I’ve only seen on from Japanese vendors. Just get on the phone with your credit card company.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Phone posted:

yeah it’s a foreign transaction

there’s a new visa “3D Check” system that seems to gently caress up the handshake that I’ve only seen on from Japanese vendors. Just get on the phone with your credit card company.

gently caress.

Thanks.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

Nanigans posted:

...why can’t I use my Visa for buying DisneySea tickets? I called my bank to authorize it and it’s still giving me an error.

Anyone know if buying these tickets counts as a foreign transaction? There’s a 3% charge for those which is why I’m hesitating using my Mastercard.

If you can wait until you're in Tokyo, I just bought tickets at a green vending machine in a Family Mart a couple days before. You order from the machine and pay at the counter. I can't read Japanese but this youtube video told me exactly what to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35LPKqRn2Y

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
For whatever reason for the past 4 years running my card has had problems at certain places too. Works fine at 7-Eleven, JP and some other places but Sofmap and one of the hotels just didn't work.
I called the card company and they pretty much says they don't see any problems from their end so I don't know what's up with that.

No fun making a round trip to JP's or 7-eleven's atm to pull a pile of cash out to hand over to the hotel's cashier. Or losing a discount cos I couldn't pay with my card at Sofmap.

Bet they still haven't sorted that out yet from the sound of things...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The US JET hiring window just opened.

Also I got back from Japan a little over a week ago and it was great. My Japanese got less lovely in 10 years than I expected. Could still crack a joke or two with a bartender.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm working on my JET application. Hopefully I'll get in, but it's made me wonder a couple things about living there that I was curious if the thread had experience with. When I lived in Chinatown, I took up erhu on a whim, given how many street performers used it. I found it to be a really fun and engaging way to connect to a culture's past while gaining musical skills I never thought I had. Has anyone here taken up traditional Japanese instruments while living there? Would you recommend it as a fun way to interact with the culture?

Similarly, while in the Bay Area I played a bit of go. How much do people play go anymore? Is it mostly old people, or is it like chess in the States, where most people have some limited knowledge and a chess board?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I... have seen very, very few buskers on the street. Sometimes outside of stations but very rare.

On the other hand, joining a taiko group or some other class-type environment will get you in with the locals real quick.

And I don't think a lot of people know how to play Go. I mean, they "know" but they don't really know - you know?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If I'm arriving from the US to Haneda at around 9:00 pm on a Saturday, I'm reasonably sure from everything I've read that I'll have time to clear getting through the airport and still have time to get on the monorail to get to Hamamatsucho before the monorail and Yamanote line stops running...right?

'Cause goddamn, Haneda to my AirBnB is $100-$120.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

I... have seen very, very few buskers on the street. Sometimes outside of stations but very rare.

On the other hand, joining a taiko group or some other class-type environment will get you in with the locals real quick.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The erhu busking thing was more my introduction to a weird instrument. I started taking lessons in Chinatown in the instrument because it seemed interesting, and that got me invited to performances, I made friends with people, learned a lot about it's importance to the locals, that stuff. I think a better way to ask the question is this: are most music shops and the like only offering classes in common Western instruments, or do you think I could fairly easily find someone to teach me an interesting traditional instrument, like shakuhachi or something?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^^^^ I know plenty of JETs that got involved in local arts, music, dance teams (yosakoi), sports teams, etc. You would start by asking supervisors and teachers, and the other local JETs who seem connected and active. There will also be local (Japanese-language) municipal magazines and advertisements showing local events and groups, so those are also a good resource.

Nanigans posted:

If I'm arriving from the US to Haneda at around 9:00 pm on a Saturday, I'm reasonably sure from everything I've read that I'll have time to clear getting through the airport and still have time to get on the monorail to get to Hamamatsucho before the monorail and Yamanote line stops running...right?

Should be okay. Last train from the International terminal is 12:10 am, and it's been pretty quick getting through the international immigration. So 9 pm should allow you to get through and over to the monorail inside an hour. It's a very short walk from exit of baggage/customs over to the monorail, I've made it under duress before.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 26, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

In the hyperdia app, there is an option for "last"

On the website, search with "arrival" and set a crazy time like 3 AM. That will get you the last train to Hamamatsucho (12:10 with 0:24 arrival).

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The erhu busking thing was more my introduction to a weird instrument. I started taking lessons in Chinatown in the instrument because it seemed interesting, and that got me invited to performances, I made friends with people, learned a lot about it's importance to the locals, that stuff. I think a better way to ask the question is this: are most music shops and the like only offering classes in common Western instruments, or do you think I could fairly easily find someone to teach me an interesting traditional instrument, like shakuhachi or something?

If you get an ALT gig, ask the teachers around school - they'll be super glad to help hook you up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks, now I just got to get in. :buddy:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, there's lots of people doing this, although it's going to trend towards middle aged women ime. But yeah, if you make it over and you're interested enough to learn it that's a great way to meet people.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

2nd post..
You and your wife sound super high strung and anxious from the sounds of your reddit post.

Seriously, calm down. It's a loving breeze. There's also flat-rate taxis from Haneda to parts of Tokyo so you're missing that bit of google-fu, too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Where's your AirBnb? Unless you're wanting a ride on the monorail, buses tend to be less of a hassle from Haneda.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

totalnewbie posted:

2nd post..
You and your wife sound super high strung and anxious from the sounds of your reddit post.

Seriously, calm down. It's a loving breeze. There's also flat-rate taxis from Haneda to parts of Tokyo so you're missing that bit of google-fu, too.

Yep. We are, not gonna deny it. My post history in here should indicate that. I'm super exited for this trip and we've been having a blast looking up fun stuff to do and food to eat. Logistics just get to me. Once we arrive to the AirBnB I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do nothing but have fun for six days, though. Thanks.

Stringent posted:

Where's your AirBnb? Unless you're wanting a ride on the monorail, buses tend to be less of a hassle from Haneda.

Sugamo :sweatdrop:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Yeah, just get the bus to Ikebukuro and the subway or a cab from there.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stringent posted:

Yeah, just get the bus to Ikebukuro and the subway or a cab from there.

Thanks.

I'll also spare you all my itinerary, but if it makes me sound any less insane, it's like 1-2 main things a day, maybe 3. And then just kind of enjoying whatever else along the way.

edit: Since I'm staying in Sugamo, the Keikyu line seems pretty good:

Am I missing something there? Seems straightforward and cheap.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 26, 2019

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, I did this before I had kids. I found someone who was giving lessons, and she also had a practice group that met weekly, we performed at local festivals and events and went to see other performers, etc. I was also in a community band, and we went to competitions every year. Highly recommended.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

Thanks.

I'll also spare you all my itinerary, but if it makes me sound any less insane, it's like 1-2 main things a day, maybe 3. And then just kind of enjoying whatever else along the way.

edit: Since I'm staying in Sugamo, the Keikyu line seems pretty good:

Am I missing something there? Seems straightforward and cheap.

What the hell is this, man.

Take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then the Yamanote to Sugamo.

Use hyperdia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I don't see anything wrong with taking the Keikyu?