Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1176253927249068032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So is this an Orphan or a Little Man situation?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
What she thought was a child afflicted with dwarfism was, in fact, a changeling from the eldritch realms of the courts of the fey.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
That story is just bizarre. If the parents were trying to run a scam so they could ditch a troubled kid they sure fooled a lot of other people.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/zmpzb5/fake-news-meme-vice

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's funny because our world is so dumb that it easily could be real

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Bloop posted:

It's funny because our world is so dumb that it easily could be real

You can just admit you were fooled, you know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I read this and I have no idea what the gently caress. Is the person in question a child or an adult? Did it definitely say it and I misread it?

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
Opinions differ. Adoptive parents, psychologist, doctor who did bone density test, and courts say adult. Police affidavit (which claims further bone density tests, and that adoptive father gave them a full confession) says child.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s such a bizarre case but it really reads like the police are being power abusers like usual and loving people over because they don’t want to admit they’re wrong, just in an extra weird way this time

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Imagine the people fooled by the vice article but with storage lockers full of seized guns and ketamine. That's cops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone is committing brazen fraud here and, yeah, my money is on the police.

If the police weren’t invested in the case they would have just said “it’s a civil matter” and hosed off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splicer posted:

Imagine the people fooled by the vice article but with storage lockers full of seized guns and ketamine. That's cops.

You’re praising them with faint drat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

You’re praising them with faint drat.
I was trying to imply that instead of posting grumpy "it could have been true" posts they'd shoot the OP and plant guns and drugs on them.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If that is really a 22 yr old posing as a child, then she is really not very bright. I mean, whats the end game here? You scam some free meals and whatnot for a while.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

To find out why so many commenters who should really know better were falling for this, I called Julie Smith, who has been teaching media literacy since 1997 and is on the Board of Directors for the National Association for Media Literacy Education.

"What you're dealing with here is two things, called 'selective exposure' and 'selective retention', meaning we only expose ourselves to messages that we agree with," she explained from her home in Missouri."
Could it be that people were willing to believe it because of Vice's extensive history of posting extremely dumb headlines, sometimes as clickbait and sometimes in earnest? No, it's the children who are wrong.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

let's be honest, children are wrong all the god damned time

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Johnny Aztec posted:

If that is really a 22 yr old posing as a child, then she is really not very bright. I mean, whats the end game here? You scam some free meals and whatnot for a while.

It has happened where an adult pretends to be a teenager. It turns out they endured abuse which has them trying to relive what their teen years could've been without the abuse as a coping mechanism.

With this case, there's still too many questions like why the previous adoptive parents were giving her up and why are there different results from the bone density tests. It should make the eventual true crime novel on this an interesting read.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

You can just admit you were fooled, you know.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

:siren:I uncritically reposted a dumb thing that I chuckled at which turns out to have been fabricated:siren:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Walrus Sinks Russian Naval Vessel in the Arctic

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

M_Sinistrari posted:

It has happened where an adult pretends to be a teenager. It turns out they endured abuse which has them trying to relive what their teen years could've been without the abuse as a coping mechanism.

With this case, there's still too many questions like why the previous adoptive parents were giving her up and why are there different results from the bone density tests. It should make the eventual true crime novel on this an interesting read.

I'm no expert but could it be that conditions that affect how limbs grow can affect bone density? Maybe one test accounted for that and the other didn't.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Wasn't this the plot of some horror movie?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, Orphan. The mother even mentions it in the article

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm no expert but could it be that conditions that affect how limbs grow can affect bone density? Maybe one test accounted for that and the other didn't.

I'm not an expert either. It could possibly be something genetic, could be what labs the tests were done at, could even be with what time's passed that what tests get done changed.

Looking at her pictures, I honestly can't tell since the angles make it difficult for me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No tweets for this video yet. It's about a local barber who opens shop after bars close because why the hell not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD9PagO6tNY

"Ventura barber is making it work before the crack of dawn"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A single camera interview shot on one location with two people for what had to have taken like 15 mins total about slightly unusual shop hours is giving me flashbacks to “crap my project is due tomorrow” moments in my high school broadcasting class

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:black101:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

but does he know how to use the shells?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

but does he know how to use the shells?

clearly he doesn't!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Why does a restaurant have a shower?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

rodbeard posted:

In case you need a poo poo???

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well the mother did claim she tried to kill her, maybe she wanted to inherit whatever they've got, seems as good a motive as any with something this crazy to begin with.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah if the mom wasn't lying she would have gone to the cops immediately. But, she's lying and wants to get rid of a kid that she adopted because the kid is just too much. The doctor's notes are obviously fake, on top of everything else. Hope her son gets taken away too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

rodbeard posted:

So staff can shower if they cycle or run into work, having one between shifts to freshen up or after before going out. Lots of reasons they could have one. It would be nice if more places of work had one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
911 caller says squirrel followed her, tugged on her pants seeking help, Va. cops say

quote:

“The squirrel led her down the trail to a baby squirrel with an injured leg. At one point, Powell wasn’t sure she could help and she began walking and the squirrel followed her again and actually tugged her pant leg!” the post says.

“Powell then realized that a cat was attempting to attack momma and baby squirrel.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WAVY_News/status/1177237027865190400?s=19

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Scathach posted:

Yeah if the mom wasn't lying she would have gone to the cops immediately. But, she's lying and wants to get rid of a kid that she adopted because the kid is just too much. The doctor's notes are obviously fake, on top of everything else. Hope her son gets taken away too.

From what I saw, theres some shady poo poo going on with the police involved. Like the whole adoption paperwork was rushed through and

gently caress,I don't know. Ain't my monkey, ain't my circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Currently in the unnerving thread, there has been some excellent posts explaining the situation better in the reality that she was probably a few years older than the orphanage thought and other good points towards the adoptive mother being a supermom nutbag, so if you want a better read on it, check that thread out from the most recent posts.