Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

"Because it crashes" isn't a really good reason to not deploy to iPads - I think that making the effort to fix your app for iPads is probably going to be the best use of your time.

Meanwhile I can work towards a fix, but also I don't want people downloading it on iPad if it doesn't work on it for the time being.

By the way, it crashes when it asks for access to Photos and the user selects OK, which should set it to "Read and Write".

dc3k posted:

I'm able to repro it every time. Tried on a bunch of different filters, both front and back camera, photo and video.

Are you using 13.1? Someone else's iPad and iPhone crash when hitting Back on 13.1. My guess is it's not ready for that OS for some reason.

e: crap iOS 13 is being released in two days lol

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ugh I'm boned on crash reporting. I switched development machines and left my xcarchives behind for my deployed apps. So I've got crash reports coming in and no way to symbolicate them. I don't have bitcode turned on, so can't grab them from iTunes Connect either.

*sigh*

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lord funk posted:

Ugh I'm boned on crash reporting. I switched development machines and left my xcarchives behind for my deployed apps. So I've got crash reports coming in and no way to symbolicate them. I don't have bitcode turned on, so can't grab them from iTunes Connect either.

*sigh*

Let this be a lesson to practice proper backup hygiene - stuff you've shipped, put in a redundant place, even if it's just dropbox.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

iOS 13 problem with Hue Cycle app:

I have a modal view with a video playing (AVPlayer with AVPlayerLayer). I found that in iOS 13 it crashes when I dismiss this modal view, and Xcode's console says "AVPlayerLayer was deallocated while key value observers were still registered with it".

I found that I was removing the playerLayer and making the playerLayer nil, or else more of the device's memory would be consumed each time you dismiss the view. Now that it crashes in iOS 13, I can comment out removing playerLayer and making playerLayer nil, but that brings me back to the memory problem; eventually terminating my app.

code:
if let p = self.player, let pl = self.playerLayer {
     p.pause()
//   pl.removeFromSuperlayer()
//   self.playerLayer = nil
     self.player = nil
}
It looks like pl.removeFromSuperlayer() is the culprit. I can still set playerLayer to nil, but not removing it from the super layer is making the memory footprint grow more and more.

edit:

I had a key path observer I was never getting rid of!
I added: pl.removeObserver(self, forKeyPath: "videoRect") which fixes the crash, but the memory footprint keeps growing, and eventually crashes. I wonder if it's the video, but maybe something else.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 18, 2019

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Ah sorry I forgot to mention I’m on iOS 13 beta. Glad you found the issue!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Me too, though I hope I can still make my target OS lower than 13 without problems. I also still have a fairly bad memory leak.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 18, 2019

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Good Sphere posted:

Is there a way of preventing your iPhone app showing up in the App Store for iPads? I know it will as an iPhone-size app when launched, but my app does not seem ready for it since it crashes. My app's settings under Deployment Info lists only iPhone for Devices.

no, and your app may be rejected for not running on iPad

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
anecdata:

The iPhone 4S was the first iPhone released with a dual core CPU, and was otherwise impossible to differentiate from the iPhone 4 for the purposes of shipping to the app store. While the app benefited a lot from the second core, Apple didn't allow us to differentiate on that basis, and didn't allow the BLE entitlement which would have allowed us to ship on 4S and above.

Even if you found a workaround, you'd just spend time waiting for Apple to reject your app until you fix it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Is it true that enabling Malloc Stack under Diagnostics >> Memory Management takes up space in documents and data for an iOS app? I was wondering how the space was piling up, but it seems to have stopped when I unchecked it, and reinstalled.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

brap posted:

The .reloadRevalidatingCacheData flag did exactly what I wanted, but there was a remarkable bit of documentation for the cache flags:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/nsurlrequest/cachepolicy/reloadrevalidatingcachedata

This doesn't show up as a warning in your build or in the documentation of the containing enum. So if I had never option+clicked on the usage of the constant I would not have known. It feels like I should not ship the code using this flag, so I will probably just use .reloadIgnoringLocalCacheData instead.

You should file this as a docs bug.

VVV https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Family Values fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2019

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Family Values posted:

You should file this as a docs bug.

Where’s the right place to do this?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone know if there's a way to see who uploaded each build in ASC?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nvm, found it (select app, Activity tab, "app store versions" in sidebar)

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

stuffed crust punk posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to see who uploaded each build in ASC?

Is it an App Store version? We don't have multiple roles, but I'm guessing in Activity >> App Store Versions the user column may tell you.

e: nooo my one attempt to help someone, and I was already too late :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

In fairness to fastlane, their support is fantastic.

Well poo poo, there I was thinking it was a problem......

edit: Yoink. That image came out bigger than I expected o_O

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That poo poo's infuriating. Just leave the issue open!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

pokeyman posted:

That poo poo's infuriating. Just leave the issue open!

Its one way to point the burndown chart south I guess. Just close the ticket without resolving it!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
PMs love to freak out about having a huge number of open issues without being able to explain why it’s a problem.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Nah, auto closing issues is a good practice. It helps with actual prioritization and understanding where the real problems are.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Good Sphere posted:

Is it an App Store version? We don't have multiple roles, but I'm guessing in Activity >> App Store Versions the user column may tell you.

e: nooo my one attempt to help someone, and I was already too late :(

Thanks anyway dude :cheerdoge:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Nah, auto closing issues is a good practice. It helps with actual prioritization and understanding where the real problems are.

:wrong:

Triage and filter. Closing pisses people off.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in GitHub you should just tag issues and put them in milestones. Closing the issue takes it from “we would accept a fix, but it’s unlikely the team will ever get around to it”, to “a bot decided your problem must not be a problem after all”

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Those bots will attempt to see if it's still a problem being experienced by pinging people following the thread. If there's no more movement then it closes it (ie: https://github.com/fastlane/fastlane/issues/15134). I'd say a week turnaround is a bit too tight in my book but tickets timing out is definitely a thing.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

CIFilters behave differently in iOS 13. So far, I found:

CIMaskToAlpha - expects a monochrome image, or else some adjustments you made to the image prior to the filters could have unexpected results, like intensity of white crossing back into black.

CIEdgeWork - completely messed up by putting edge work on every single tiny detail

There could be a lot more.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Doh004 posted:

How does it help with actual prioritization and understanding where the real problems are?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Plorkyeran posted:

How does it help with actual prioritization and understanding where the real problems are?

If they're real problems that are relevant, it'll probably be occurring to more than one person (for larger projects that would employ something like this) so the issues wouldn't become stale.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Why would it not become stale? The initial report comes in, there's maybe a bit of discussion, and then it gets tossed into the backlog. Future people who have the same problem mostly find the issue, see that you're aware of it and then close the page. 6 months later you ping the original author and they don't respond because they already gave up on using your thing, and none of the other people who saw the issue and cared about it get pinged because who the hell hits follow on every single bug in a third party thing that they hope gets fixed (or they do hit follow and don't see your ping because they get 500 emails a day from github).

Even in some fantasy land where a meaningful portion of the people who care about seeing a bug fixed actually tell you that, what are you gaining from closing old issues? You obviously already have a great way to figure out what issues are most important that's much more accurate than "ehhh there's been no activity on this for a while I guess it must not matter?"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
It's also really discouraging to start using a thing and then find the exact issue you were having described months ago in a now-closed bug report. If you're using the thing for the first time's kinda discouraging.

It might help if Github had some sort of "soft closed" state that makes the issue count go down but non-owner users are able to ask to reopen it. It seems like that would reduce friction for someone who comes along with a repro + it would keep the discussions in the same place.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Yeah, I don’t get the fetish for closing work items due to “age,” and I really don’t get not properly marking them as duplicates.

I’ll look at a significant GitHub repo’s closed issues and see a whole bunch of reports closed because they’re duplicates of a fixed issue without being marked as such, just a comment like “fixed in 2.7” (or whatever). Instead just mark them dups of the actual fix, then everyone still sees that it was fixed, but you also can get an idea how prevalent the issue is.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I was just thinking "I’ve never really considered using fetch request templates, wonder how that works", so I’m clicking around the model editor and... there’s nowhere to specify sort descriptors? How is this useful? I guess it’s easier to gently caress up a predicate than a sort descriptor but really? Wonder what fraction of fetch requests are executed without sort descriptors. My bet is on "tiny".

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Most people just cons up their fetch requests in code, the tools for fetch request templates have never really covered the full breadth of the API unfortunately.

The nice thing is that you can use $VARIABLES in a predicate for a fetch request and just do the template thing yourself in code.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Makes sense I guess. Can’t help but wonder if there’s a chicken-and-egg thing there, where I’ll just make fetch requests in code because there are literally zero fetch requests I can fully construct using the editor.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Other than sort descriptors, do you (or anyone else) have any specific fetch request APIs you’re missing a lot in the tools?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That’s the big one, and it might be enough to push me from "why would I do this" to "nifty".

I do set fetchBatchSize a lot, but that’s sufficiently device-dependent that I'd question its utility in the editor. Nothing else comes to mind.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I don't know if I hosed up something with our Apple Pay certs or our payment processor did, but I am having a BAD TIME.

Edit: Also ended up figuring out I needed to manually delete the certs and provisioning profiles in the certificate repo to get fastlane to do what I wanted it to. I guess it's very useful when things aren't hella out of date.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 24, 2019

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well iOS13 has completely broken the dick off our Apps at work. Like, boss yelling at people broken.

wtf is with that stacked Nav Controller?

Also: Kill all bots. Except buildbot. I like that bot. And that bot on twitter that used to chase conservatives around demanding they fill out their detention paperwork for the FEMA death camp. That can stay too.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 25, 2019

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm interested in building a fairly simple iOS app, but I have no experience in app development at all (I'm moderately proficient in programming). I was thinking of learning and then using react native. Should I learn any iOS development beforehand or can I just dive in with react native?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want to build a simple iOS app, you’re not doing some cross platform thing with major concerns about code reuse, just get the iOS SDK and make your app with Xcode.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

duck monster posted:

Well iOS13 has completely broken the dick off our Apps at work. Like, boss yelling at people broken.

wtf is with that stacked Nav Controller?

Also: Kill all bots. Except buildbot. I like that bot. And that bot on twitter that used to chase conservatives around demanding they fill out their detention paperwork for the FEMA death camp. That can stay too.

Please test your apps on the betas, that's what they're for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

brap posted:

If you want to build a simple iOS app, you’re not doing some cross platform thing with major concerns about code reuse, just get the iOS SDK and make your app with Xcode.

Well I was also hoping to use this to get more comfortable with javascript and node.