Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

EDIT: Empty Quote is not New Tab.

Tax I guess:

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the biggest changes was how small the "universe" felt in the second one. The first one was written in a way that made you feel like something of a bit player in events, even though you were in charge of some "big" heroes or whatever. It felt like you were a small cog in a huge machine that just happened to pull through and save the day. By SC2 the game is more about the hero characters than anything else, and it loving sucks. It's hard to describe but it's sorta the same problem retail WoW has for a lot of people.

The first one was about worldbuilding, and the character of the races, and the story, and doing a fun fanfic version of Warhammer.

The second one was a fanfic version of the first one.

This also applies to World of Warcraft

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hosed up if true

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the biggest changes was how small the "universe" felt in the second one. The first one was written in a way that made you feel like something of a bit player in events, even though you were in charge of some "big" heroes or whatever. It felt like you were a small cog in a huge machine that just happened to pull through and save the day. By SC2 the game is more about the hero characters than anything else, and it loving sucks. It's hard to describe but it's sorta the same problem retail WoW has for a lot of people.

Its also very Game of Thrones season 6 vs Season 1

Season 1 is massive worldbuilding, everybody is small, huge factions with generations of people and backstories and plots within plots and culture based on history of interactions, where bad poo poo happens to good people

Season 6 is a handful of movie stars travelling across the planet together and single handedly destroying the greatest army of all time in order to save the planet, then the plot just kinda farts because.. uhhh, what now?

Sabreseven posted:

Sssshhhhhh, we must remain silent while the Kilrathi carrier flies over us in case they hear us in the vacuum of space and attack.

That bit might have actually broken my brain a bit when I watched it, once.

Ahahahaha yesss

like what the gently caress

you compare that to The Expanse and its not even loving close

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 24, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahahaha yesss

To be fair, it would be a number of years before The Expanse came out for Chris Roberts to steal from.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Season 1 is massive worldbuilding, everybody is small, huge factions with generations of people and backstories and plots within plots and culture based on history of interactions, where bad poo poo happens to good people

Season 6 is a handful of movie stars travelling across the planet together and single handedly destroying the greatest army of all time in order to save the planet, then the plot just kinda farts because.. uhhh, what now?

Ahahahaha yesss

Pretty much any series (game, show, whatever) that runs for long enough devolves into that sort of character-focused thing because it is much easier to write about the characters themselves and what they do than about interesting events and how the characters react to them.

The police/lawyer procedurals that my mom likes (and that I watch when I visit her) are a very clear example. At the start they are about the crimes and how our group of characters deal with them, but after a while it becomes harder to write interesting new situations/crimes so you get increasing amounts of melodrama to pad things out. e: :doink:

And the last 2 seasons of game of thrones are one of the worst written things in like ever. They are kind of endearing in their incompetence.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 24, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Initially, people don't give a poo poo about the characters. Without a good plot or context the characters and series will fall flat, and you will never get to the late phase. But if you do, years later, the audience is invested in the characters; they make a situation more interesting just by being in them. So you can poo poo out anything and it will sort of work.

e: like none of us cared about chris roberts years ago but now look at us

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I wouldn't describe how I feel about Chris Roberts as "caring"

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

But doesn't he car every day to the office with his porsche?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahahaha yesss

One bit of funny overlap that is thread relevant:
https://massivelyop.com/2018/08/08/the-expanse-started-life-as-a-failed-mmo-pitch/

The writer for the expanse was trying to make an mmo out of it. This is also why the writing changes after 3 books or so. Some of the same citizen desires for long travel times etc can be seen in the writing.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Not saying the SC2 campaign was good but the prologue was very anime and I enjoyed it for what it was.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hazamuth posted:

But doesn't he car every day to the office with his porsche?

As a hollywood star, he has to ; it's not something under his control.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

That sounds more like they appropriately sized their data types so that big numbers could still add to bigger numbers. It's when you have a calculation with a divisor or a product of two numbers that loses precision that you start getting toward unrepresentable floating point numbers BOOM this vector now has infinite force!

I know, though this - at least to me, could be wrong - under the surface implies that superspace and normal space are in fact a single entity, with normal space being instances in the superspace (so you know where you can place the assets and enemies and stuff exactly).

Of course, this shouldn't surprise me - they use 64-bit precision and considering it can be unsigned (negative speed is just inverted positive vector), you can get to insane numbers, where the artificial limit of 2k Ls/s is probably "just to make sure". But still, it's something else just guesstimating it and something else seeing it actually work.

Supposed Elite - or networking and asset loading in general - made a leap forward, or some clever solution was invented, there wouldn't even be a need to separate these two spaces. Of course Star Citizen (tries to) does that and... it kinda fails.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I know, though this - at least to me, could be wrong - under the surface implies that superspace and normal space are in fact a single entity, with normal space being instances in the superspace (so you know where you can place the assets and enemies and stuff exactly).

Of course, this shouldn't surprise me - they use 64-bit precision and considering it can be unsigned (negative speed is just inverted positive vector), you can get to insane numbers, where the artificial limit of 2k Ls/s is probably "just to make sure". But still, it's something else just guesstimating it and something else seeing it actually work.

Supposed Elite - or networking and asset loading in general - made a leap forward, or some clever solution was invented, there wouldn't even be a need to separate these two spaces. Of course Star Citizen (tries to) does that and... it kinda fails.

Of course! Star Citizen can't use this smoke and mirrors bullshit, you just throw everything into one big map and... what do you mean it doesn't fit in our engine? uh okay, you throw everything into a big map and make it really small, this will work! After all, you just dump assets into a container and gameplay emerges!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Kikas posted:

Of course! Star Citizen can't use this smoke and mirrors bullshit, you just throw everything into one big map and... what do you mean it doesn't fit in our engine? uh okay, you throw everything into a big map and make it really small, this will work! After all, you just dump assets into a container and gameplay emerges!

And everything underwater, because why not.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Armadillo Tank posted:

One bit of funny overlap that is thread relevant:
https://massivelyop.com/2018/08/08/the-expanse-started-life-as-a-failed-mmo-pitch/

The writer for the expanse was trying to make an mmo out of it. This is also why the writing changes after 3 books or so. Some of the same citizen desires for long travel times etc can be seen in the writing.

That's not quite right. The MMORPG idea Ty Franck was developing the world for was abandoned years before the books came about. He'd been using the setting for his own TRPG campaigns (using the modern D20 rules IIRC), which is actually where some of the core characters from the books come from (in season 1 episode 4 you can even spot which character belonged to a player who stopped showing up to sessions. ;) )

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I mean we're all beating a dead horse, does that mean we all have a "history of violence"?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1176423944116740096

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
StarCraft2 may have a awful story about space jesus and horrible cringy writing, but there is a solid fun game behind it that isn't broken beyond comprehension, and you can skip all the cutscenes in campaign!

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...tm_medium=web2x
"We've been watching paint dry since 2012."

(how do you format this??)

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 24, 2019

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Kikas posted:

I mean we're all beating a dead horse, does that mean we all have a "history of violence"?

Yes. Emotional violence against backers, in the form of photoshopped bears. A very serious crime.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Kikas posted:

That's mean we all are rapitst' of poor dead horse corpses.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 24, 2019

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

But they deserved it. All of them. And I enjoyed every seconds.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

In other words, its perfectly fine if SC, being a much more ambitious project takes more than 20 years to reach release.

I'm sure backers will be overjoyed with this!

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I've started following Star Citizen a bit lately as it seems like a funny train wreck and was wondering - what can you actually do in this "game"? Like I've seen videos of people running around and shooting at squares in outer space, and there's talk of missions, but how does this translate to shills applauding a sense of discovery and emergent gameplay? Do I just lack appreciation and vision?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lacklustre Hero posted:

I've started following Star Citizen a bit lately as it seems like a funny train wreck and was wondering - what can you actually do in this "game"? Like I've seen videos of people running around and shooting at squares in outer space, and there's talk of missions, but how does this translate to shills applauding a sense of discovery and emergent gameplay? Do I just lack appreciation and vision?

Basically. There are like 11 mostly-empty moons/planets to land on, two big space stations and a handful of small ones or rest stops. There are a couple main mission types:
  • Trading - fill your ship with poo poo, fly somewhere, sell it
  • Box delivery - this is basically trading, except usually you're tasked with going somewhere to find a specific box of crap
  • Space shooty stuff - fly your plane, shoot the bad guys
  • Ground shooty stuff - Find a mostly-empty bunker, gun down the nonresponsive AI inside
  • Weird story missions - there are a few like narrative missions where you have to go investigate a missing person in an empty space station or whatever.

Beyond that there's mining which is just trading with an insanely boring extra step. Mostly what you do in Star Citizen is fly through an empty map, desperately trying to find something even remotely interesting to do, which is why Rexzilla's ebic 50 person PVP jankfests have gained as much traction as they have.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Did Lando have a stroke or does he normally reference TV shows in his addresses to the public?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

If toejam's going to label everyone in a group by using one example then, :shrug:

There is at least one of them who is a convicted child molester/peadophile.

Not really a good idea to judge entire groups based on the few tbh is it Toejam?

(Thats as far as I'm going with that due to the disgusting nature of the subject)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 24, 2019

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Basically. There are like 11 mostly-empty moons/planets to land on, two big space stations and a handful of small ones or rest stops. There are a couple main mission types:
  • Trading - fill your ship with poo poo, fly somewhere, sell it
  • Box delivery - this is basically trading, except usually you're tasked with going somewhere to find a specific box of crap
  • Space shooty stuff - fly your plane, shoot the bad guys
  • Ground shooty stuff - Find a mostly-empty bunker, gun down the nonresponsive AI inside
  • Weird story missions - there are a few like narrative missions where you have to go investigate a missing person in an empty space station or whatever.

Beyond that there's mining which is just trading with an insanely boring extra step. Mostly what you do in Star Citizen is fly through an empty map, desperately trying to find something even remotely interesting to do, which is why Rexzilla's ebic 50 person PVP jankfests have gained as much traction as they have.

Sounds cool, and revolutionary. Let's give this Chris Roberts guy a break.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Ah yes, the famous and 100% reliable source of knowledge - Guiness world record site, where you can just pay for your own entry.

It's completely unsuspicious that record for longest development period for any videogame goes to Duke Nukem Forever, but there is also a more specific world record for simulation videogame entry awarded to E:D which allegedly took longer to develop than DNF because Braben mentioned possibility of sequel in 1997.

I wish we could know which SC whale bought this entry.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1176468821382770688
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1176474890116972545

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Maybe uh... maybe having two completely conflicting "world record" entries is a sign that the guinness book of world records isn't exactly a trustworthy source.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aaaaand that's the end of our little conversation:

E: Just when I was about to point out that I think both my and their sources are crap, well, too bad ww

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Beet Wagon posted:

Maybe uh... maybe having two completely conflicting "world record" entries is a sign that the guinness book of world records isn't exactly a trustworthy source.
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Simulation videogames are not a subset of all videogames.
SC is good.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

hot ham water posted:

Apparently, to some, there is enough gameplay for five years worth of content. How this is broken down, I have no idea.

https://twitter.com/xXxCOBRA/status/1176264000239218688

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rePool posted:

Apparently, to some, there is enough gameplay for five years worth of content. How this is broken down, I have no idea.

https://twitter.com/xXxCOBRA/status/1176264000239218688

Dreamcrafting is helluva drug.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sabreseven posted:

If toejam's going to label everyone in a group by using one example then, :shrug:

There is at least one of them who is a convicted child molester/peadophile.

Not really a good idea to judge entire groups based on the few tbh is it Toejam?

(Thats as far as I'm going with that due to the disgusting nature of the subject)

Supplemental:

Goons! :argh:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So who's going to give him the news articles? :cawg: