Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coolguye posted:

even if city was a direct copy paste with no QoL it would be better if for no other reason than the collectibles are less obnoxious. asylum had that really weird duality where you wanted to get the collectibles, especially riddler trophies, as early as humanly possible because the XP was super helpful, especially if you were playing on Hard. however, it was never exactly clear what precisely you needed to get a specific trophy, or if you were just bad at the game and missing the jump or whatever.

in City you could arrive on the scene and see one of those moronic rube goldberg machines that Riddler sets up and immediately be like "oh, ok, i need some upgrade for this" and peace out without wasting five minutes trying some bullshit.

Ehh, I didn't ignore the collectible poo poo in Asylum, but if I couldn't solve the puzzle in a reasonable amount of time I moved on thinking "I'll come back" most of the time I didn't come back. Didn't have a ton of problems getting through it. I played on Normal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

even if city was a direct copy paste with no QoL it would be better if for no other reason than the collectibles are less obnoxious. asylum had that really weird duality where you wanted to get the collectibles, especially riddler trophies, as early as humanly possible because the XP was super helpful, especially if you were playing on Hard. however, it was never exactly clear what precisely you needed to get a specific trophy, or if you were just bad at the game and missing the jump or whatever.

in City you could arrive on the scene and see one of those moronic rube goldberg machines that Riddler sets up and immediately be like "oh, ok, i need some upgrade for this" and peace out without wasting five minutes trying some bullshit.

Most of those forced perspective collectibles were fine. But there were a good handful that even after lining up WHY ARE YOU NOT REGISTERING WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Coolguye posted:

Yeah I just finished City and didn't do a single one of the pad puzzles. Probably could have looked up the solutions but :effort:

I'm not going for 100%, just getting some enjoyment out of a few free games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Coolguye posted:

Crazy idea I know, but maybe if playing on Hard makes the game less fun to play you could just...not play on Hard?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sleeveless posted:

Crazy idea I know, but maybe if playing on Hard makes the game less fun to play you could just...not play on Hard?

Nah I think the moment-to-moment gameplay is more fun on Hard, it just feels a little unbalanced in terms of progression. It depends on what you're looking for from the game and how quickly you click with the combat system but for me normal VS hard was a choice between being bored and being occasionally frustrated, and I'll take the latter, even if it could use improvements

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

repiv posted:

Epics Batman giveaway has been expanded - originally it only included the basic version of Arkham Knight, but now they're including the full season pass as well. People who already claimed it should get the DLCs automatically.

City came with the Catwoman DLC, at least, but what DLC should be coming with Knight? All it ever says is "checking for DLC" and there doesn't appear to be anywhere to check what it's got.

Couldn't find a costumes menu in City after beating the game even though the game claimed there would be one, so ....

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The collectibles end up being more important in Asylum because, IIRC, their XP still contributes to healing you between fights and unlike later games you only have the one health bar rather than it being split between melee and guns. I'm pretty sure a fair few of them are placed as they are to act as glowing green medkits between big fights in case you're really struggling.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sleeveless posted:

as gofer said, hard makes the combat sequences a lot more engaging on the whole. batman ends up being darn close to the t-1000 by midgame on asylum normal, basically everything after the bane fight you'd have to be asleep at the switch to lose at. but on hard the game remains reasonably unforgiving of mistakes the whole way through and keeps you on your toes. plus there's an achievement for beating it on hard if you're into that sort of thing.

the tradeoff is that early on you want to go out of your way to get early collectables so you get critical unlocks sooner rather than later for a bunch of reasons, and due to that the unclear way they handled riddler trophies becomes a bigger problem.

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I didn't ignore the collectible poo poo in Asylum, but if I couldn't solve the puzzle in a reasonable amount of time I moved on thinking "I'll come back" most of the time I didn't come back. Didn't have a ton of problems getting through it. I played on Normal though.

the reward for going back was pretty great in game tbh, as you get more and more of the collectibles riddler gets pissier and more aggressive with you, accusing you of looking stuff up on the internet or just expressing flabbergasted disbelief. then when you get the last one, he gets on the phone and just starts ranting at you, and batman takes advantage of the extended tirade to trace his call and alert gotham police to his location.

you hear the cops bust down the door and put eddy boy down hard, mid-rant :D

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 24, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah YMMV on the collectibles in the Arkham games (especially in the later ones where actual Riddler content is locked behind them and also the total amount is bloated to all hell) but I at least appreciate the fact that they're not completely arbitrary and accurately reflect the Batman/Riddler dynamic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The only puzzles worth doing are the photo riddles.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I do find it interesting that only Poison Ivy gets her choice of seat. It's just alternated which one pops out for everyone else, but it pops both out for her (and this time she got in the other one).

Wonder if it's intentional.

But the first time she gave me poo poo about "who taught you how to drive?" and I cracked up because it's Batman

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Arkham Origins was one of the most broken games I'd ever played at launch and that's saying a lot

Sword of the stars II.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Hav posted:

Sword of the stars II.

RoboCop for the C64

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

What was that pirate game by the dinosaur game people? Because that.

/e Atlas, what hot garbage that was. A friend gifted it or I'd have been super offended about the price.

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 25, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hav posted:

Sword of the stars II.

Breetai posted:

RoboCop for the C64

FFT posted:

What was that pirate game by the dinosaur game people? Because that.

/e Atlas, what hot garbage that was. A friend gifted it or I'd have been super offended about the price.
Big. Rigs.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

The Kins posted:

Big. Rigs.

You meannride to hell: retribution right?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Freespace 2 is now free at GOG

Want to fly a space fighter between two massive capital ships exchanging turbo lasers? This is it. I don't think this game has been exceeded yet in the sense of scale. The plot and the mission design is top notch as well, try this one out!

Good mods available as well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
HIT THOSE AFTERBURNERS, PILOT!

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Check out Knossos for all your Freespace 2 modding needs, from texture and lighting upgrades to Star Wars TCs and anime space ships

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If you like FS2, definitely check out Blue Planet and War in Heaven.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hav posted:

Sword of the stars II.

God, does anyone still have the SOTS II patch list summary with all the broken things? It was goddamn hilarious. Things like asteroids randomly kidnapping admirals and entire fleets spawning inside the Sun.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521006

In the OP

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

StoryTime posted:

Freespace 2 is now free at GOG

Want to fly a space fighter between two massive capital ships exchanging turbo lasers? This is it. I don't think this game has been exceeded yet in the sense of scale. The plot and the mission design is top notch as well, try this one out!

Good mods available as well.

If you take advantage of this and get the best space fight sim ever made, make sure to look into Freespace 2 Open, the open source community update that makes the game modern, better, and prettier.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
While I played and finished Freespace 2 at least twice, I probably played and finished Freespace 1 at least 10 times.
I always thought it was a much better game, though not as pretty. And the sense of scale hit me a lot more in 1.
Something about flight inside those nebulas kinda irritated me though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is fs2 like freelancer? Like, can i just do the first few story missions and then gently caress off to explore the galaxy or is it pretty linear/story-driven

site fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
poo poo, I was excited about this and you made me realize I was thinking this was freelancer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

look maybe I'm wrong but all I know is I played an hour or two of asylum and while it felt a lot less bootleg than an ubisoft games iconic half finished garbage style, the sub witcher 3 tier combat and the collectibles were unforgivable. i dunno I didn't play it till like 2015.

What the gently caress Larry.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

site posted:

Is fs2 like freelancer? Like, can i just do the first few story missions and then gently caress off to explore the galaxy or is it pretty linear/story-driven

Freespace 2 is mission based and linear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah, bummer. well saves me a download anyways. thanks

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

poo poo, I was excited about this and you made me realize I was thinking this was freelancer.

There needs to be a freelancer bundle or freelancer on steam. I know the generally accepted way is to pirate it, but I'd much rather just buy it again. Either a remastered version or just a version that more readily works with today's hardware and OS.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Donkringel posted:

There needs to be a freelancer bundle or freelancer on steam. I know the generally accepted way is to pirate it, but I'd much rather just buy it again. Either a remastered version or just a version that more readily works with today's hardware and OS.

Freelancer is unavailable to buy anymore other than something like ebay if you can find it.
Microsofts page is just a 404 now.

Oh you can buy it used on Amazon, for $50.

Oh, it seems even if you own Freelancer you still need to crack it because something in win7 and later screwed up its ability to see if the cd is in the tray.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Freespace / Freespace 2 is THE BEST space combat sim I've ever played. It doesn't matter what modern space combat sims I play, this one is better and the only one I keep getting the itch to come back to again and again.

Furthermore, Freespace 2 SCP (the source code project) is absolutely amazing.
There is no reason at all to play the game unmodded, other than that the SCP installer sometimes gets out of date and thus requires somewhat annoying manual installing. It's absolutely worth the time to do even that.
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Manually_Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

OgNar posted:

While I played and finished Freespace 2 at least twice, I probably played and finished Freespace 1 at least 10 times.
I always thought it was a much better game, though not as pretty. And the sense of scale hit me a lot more in 1.
Something about flight inside those nebulas kinda irritated me though.

I agree to some extent - the story in Freespace 1 felt tighter, which is probably why I liked it better...
...but the thing is, with Freespace 2 SCP includes a mod that ports the entire Freespace 1 campaign into the Freespace 2 engine, called FSOpen.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87537.0
All the awesomeness of the original Freespace, but with improved graphics. You don't even need to own Freespace 1 for this.

And if you're interested in the add-on pack to Freespace 1, I'd recommend Silent Threat Reborn.
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Silent_Threat:_Reborn
Unlike FSOpen (which is basically identical story and gameplay wise to Freespace 1), this one reworks the original Silent Threat expansion gameplay and plot to make it a lot more coherent and enjoyable. It definitely succeeds, it's better than the original in every way.

site posted:

ah, bummer. well saves me a download anyways. thanks

Honestly, if you like space games, I'd recommend trying this game, starting with FSOpen.
The storyline is linear, but the game is really, really good.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

OgNar posted:

Freelancer is unavailable to buy anymore other than something like ebay if you can find it.
Microsofts page is just a 404 now.

Oh you can buy it used on Amazon, for $50.

Oh, it seems even if you own Freelancer you still need to crack it because something in win7 and later screwed up its ability to see if the cd is in the tray.

Yea I have a copy of it somewhere in my house, I just can't be arsed to jump the hoops it needs nowadays.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Donkringel posted:

Yea I have a copy of it somewhere in my house, I just can't be arsed to jump the hoops it needs nowadays.

i played through it a couple months ago, only takes like 15-20 minutes to set up. the main stuff you need are here

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Freespace hands down it's the best space flight game series made thus far. It's really sad that 20 years later nothing has even come close, but then again it's a mostly dead genre, unfortunately.

But hey, STAR CITIZEN will correct all that and also be the second coming of christ, right?!?! :shepspends:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i should probably get around to playing free space because I loved house of the dying sun but it's kind of short, low scale game for a space shooter.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Bit of a stretch maybe, but does anyone know what the best way to play Tyrian is these days?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Battler posted:

Bit of a stretch maybe, but does anyone know what the best way to play Tyrian is these days?
OpenTyrian is a native source port, but it lacks the extra content from Tyrian 2000.

Tyrian 2000 has the extra content, but runs in a DOSbox emulator.

Both are free. Choose the one you most prefer!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Golden Battler posted:

No idea what is the best way, but here is a way: https://bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home

e;f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

The Kins posted:

OpenTyrian is a native source port, but it lacks the extra content from Tyrian 2000.

Tyrian 2000 has the extra content, but runs in a DOSbox emulator.

Both are free. Choose the one you most prefer!

Mierenneuker posted:

No idea what is the best way, but here is a way: https://bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home

e;f,b

Hell yeah, thanks!