Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Finally found a friend with an iPhone 10 and measured my IPD.

Near 63.4 mm, far 66.1 mm. So... assuming it's the near one the Rift S is pretty much made for me. Sweet.

Far IPD is what you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

rage-saq posted:

Far IPD is what you want

Awesome, thanks. Based on what I've read I think that's still within the sweet spot.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

rage-saq posted:

Far IPD is what you want

Hmm. This is true? I'm in a similar boat as Mr Luxury Yacht, with near at 64.8 and far at 66.9. I think I set it to 65 inside the Rift. Should I change it to 67?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
E: nvm :downs:

\/\/\/ VR focal distance is at 2m, so far IPD is what you want.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 23, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ACValiant posted:

Hmm. This is true? I'm in a similar boat as Mr Luxury Yacht, with near at 64.8 and far at 66.9. I think I set it to 65 inside the Rift. Should I change it to 67?

Does the Rift S not have the Rift IPD alignment pattern? You should use that, it should be extremely close to your far IPD
IIRC near IPD is for looking at stuff less than a foot away from you and far IPD is for anything further than like 2 feet.
VR focal distance is either 2m or 3m I forget

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Welp. Off to OC6 and Twitchcon.

Anyone going to either? Should be a good time.

I'll be at OC6. Not sure what to expect, but Oculus invited me so I'll check it out.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FYI for anyone looking to get a VR Headset from Best Buy, apparently their return policy doesn't apply to them because it's a "worn item" like headphones. It's final sale once opened. Amazon it is I guess.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm also gonna be at OC6

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up an oculus rift S last night, played some Rec Room and Orbus. Whats some other good but more recent stuff I should check out

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Whoa, Pinball FX2 VR is really cool. I was on the fence about VR pinball, but honestly I think this may be the most "realistic" vr experience I've ever had.

The table feels completely 100% convincingly physical and real. I could swear there's a real table in front of my eyes. All the lights, all the moving pieces, everything has perfect perspective, it just feels SOLID.

All the lighting up translucent effects in VR with perspective just look loving amazing :allears:

I played Obduction for awhile finally, made some good progress but got stuck. Gonna have to look up a guide, I don't have Myst level patience when I have an HMD strapped on my face.

wolrah posted:

YMCA also does this really well. IIRC Gangnam Style does it as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin also has you doing the right moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgGzAKP_HuM

+100 cool points if you're actually moon walking

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Are there any oled headsets on the horizon, or any current ones I should be thinking about?

I had a chance to actually try an OG rift while I was traveling. I'm not particularly sensitive to screen door effect, and would prefer the deeper blacks and brighter whites of an OLED to the reduced SDE of an LCD based device. If possible, compatibility with the lighthouse tracking system would be preferred, but I'd swing for an inside out system if its on par with the quest / rift s tracking. Primary game will always be beat Saber, secondary stuff includes emulation stuff or seated experiences like dirt rally. Capability for satisfying roomscale stuff would. Be nice since I don't know what other games I might find or fall in love with.

I'm OK with mixing and matching hardware as long as it's readily available at retail (I'd prefer not to rely on second hand stuff for replacements as needed), and works with steamvr / revive

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not at non absurd price points, if you're set on OLED you're probably best off with a used Vive/Pro but doing A/B comparisons with an Index and Vive it ends up not being that big a deal. The Vive is brighter and has noticably better contrast, but then your eyes adjust and you forget about it because everything else about the Index is better.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The OLED status doesn’t remotely make the image quality of a Vive Pro comparable to the Index.
The index is still miles ahead wrt image quality due to superior pixel infill (~30% more pixels), superior optics and a superior refresh rate.
The issues with brightness and black levels are complete non issues, the Index is going to be the best visual quality experience headset on the market for a few years.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
But what if the screen that my eyes attenuate to because it's the only source of light in my field of view isn't bright enough

Edit: I shhouldn't be so flippant, I know people care about screens. The point is that brightness is relative it's why you can see in both the sunshine and in a dim room with only a candle, as long as it's bright enough that it's not actually too dark to see your eyes attenuate and get used to whatever. The brightness range is the most important, so how deep the blacks are is a more useful thing to be concerned about

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
As someone who plays a lot of stuff where having washed out black levels is super noticeable (Elite Dangerous, night missions in DCS World, Tetris Effect, etc.), it's a legit annoyance when lots of the screen is black, but the overall image quality is so good that I just suck it up.

My Index controller grip boosters were delivered today. Gonna try them out today or tomorrow and see if they improve the ergonomics for me. Fingers crossed!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

SirViver posted:

E: nvm :downs:

\/\/\/ VR focal distance is at 2m, so far IPD is what you want.

I've never heard of different IPD at distances before, just got mine from the optician at 34.3 and 34.4 = 68.7 though that's always a bit blurry. How do you measure far IPD without an iphone?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Verizian posted:

I've never heard of different IPD at distances before, just got mine from the optician at 34.3 and 34.4 = 68.7 though that's always a bit blurry. How do you measure far IPD without an iphone?

The difference results from the fact that in order to look at (very) near things you have to cross your eyes, which means your pupils will be closer together.

So to contradict my earlier statement, the HMD's focus distance isn't actually important, just that most of the time in VR you'll be looking at things not directly in your face.

You can try setting your headset up to be slightly below your measured IPD if you want to hit a middle ground, but the sweet spot of your lenses should be large enough to account for that variation anyway.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

eonwe posted:

Picked up an oculus rift S last night, played some Rec Room and Orbus. Whats some other good but more recent stuff I should check out

I mean, what kind of games are you usually into? Shooters, adventure games, walking sims, multiplayer, RPGs, puzzle games, rhythm games, looping arcade games, story based games? A lot of the same ones come up all the time, but still, like, you'll probably not enjoy From Other Suns if you hate FTL/roguelikes, or Beat Saber if you can't stand rhythm games, you know?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

The OLED status doesn’t remotely make the image quality of a Vive Pro comparable to the Index.
The index is still miles ahead wrt image quality due to superior pixel infill (~30% more pixels), superior optics and a superior refresh rate.
The issues with brightness and black levels are complete non issues, the Index is going to be the best visual quality experience headset on the market for a few years.

Yeah I'm selling my vive pro kit and getting an index as soon as there's a wireless option. I haven't tried it but even from outside it looks flat out better despite "inferior" display tech lol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

FYI for anyone looking to get a VR Headset from Best Buy, apparently their return policy doesn't apply to them because it's a "worn item" like headphones. It's final sale once opened. Amazon it is I guess.

If Walmart sells them I'd go with them. They have a 90 day return. I used that for a headset with no problem.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
More info on the Tilt Five AR tabletop gaming system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jse-GwkcYgI
Adding additional tiles and even have some of the tiles be vertical is a cool feature I hadn't heard of before.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 24, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Are there any oled headsets on the horizon, or any current ones I should be thinking about?
The Quest is pretty rad, not gonna lie

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

ouch. i got my odyssey+ via microsoft store (in canada) and there was an issue with the display that came up after a month or two. i brought it in after around 6 months and they didn't even look at it - just cracked the box on a new one, gave me the new headset and took the old one, and that was it!

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Whoa, Pinball FX2 VR is really cool. I was on the fence about VR pinball, but honestly I think this may be the most "realistic" vr experience I've ever had.

The table feels completely 100% convincingly physical and real. I could swear there's a real table in front of my eyes. All the lights, all the moving pieces, everything has perfect perspective, it just feels SOLID.

All the lighting up translucent effects in VR with perspective just look loving amazing :allears:

Have you seen the pinball controller that the guy from Tested made? there's a tabletop version and a standing version... it makes me wish I had more time for gaming/VR, as it makes for a pretty immersive experience!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guitarchitect posted:

Have you seen the pinball controller that the guy from Tested made? there's a tabletop version and a standing version... it makes me wish I had more time for gaming/VR, as it makes for a pretty immersive experience!!

I think I saw that, yeah. I have some custom controllers myself that make it pretty immersive.

Its a huge pain in the rear end though because you can't rebind controls in game??? Wtf??

Also not having all the pinball fx tables is lame. I don't care about the VR immersive junk in the room, just gimme more tables! They probably need VR testing though..

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2019/9/23/20879438/where-oculus-vr-games-go-from-here-respawn

Interesting read.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Wow that's BS, Walmart takes Quest returns with no issue.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Espire 1: VR Operative got delayed indefinitely, loving hell. I was looking forward to this game so much, but hopefully this just means an even better game.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Guitarchitect posted:

ouch. i got my odyssey+ via microsoft store (in canada) and there was an issue with the display that came up after a month or two. i brought it in after around 6 months and they didn't even look at it - just cracked the box on a new one, gave me the new headset and took the old one, and that was it!

i feel like theres a shitload if qa issues with that headset. Mine had scratched lenses out the box then the replacement had nasty moire patterns on one of the screens

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That is interesting. I like how they talk about Vader Immortal, in that it's mostly a narrative story with some interactivity. It's an amazing experience.

Contrast that to something like Blade and Sorcery which is just really tight melee mechanics in an arcade combat game with no narrative.

If Asgard's Wrath can deliver something close to both of those at the same time it's going to be a great game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/d6opesn.mp4

:3:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well finally got a that Rift S. First impressions, considering the only VR I tried before was a DK2 and a first gen Vive briefly, holy hell this is a big improvement. Everything so much clearer. Tried Beat Saber and Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades and both are tons of fun. Already downloading a pile of custom songs for Beat Saber, this is def going to be fun at parties.

Small things that I don't know if it's just I need to update my contacts prescription or just how it is: My right eye is a bit blurrier than my left in VR even when I adjust the IPD to my measured width and fiddle with the headset. Like when I sight down something in H3VR, if I sight on my right it's blurry, but if I sight on my left it looks fine. Also, when I bring something close to my face in H3VR it's hard to focus on it, like my eyes are going cross eyed but physically they aren't. But like when I move that object around a foot or two from my virtual face, it's all crystal clear.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Very fortunate he didn't punch out the window there.

I very nearly punched out my monitor the other day. I gotta clear out more room.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i cant figure out the controls for h3vr on the oculus rift s

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zaphod42 posted:

Very fortunate he didn't punch out the window there.

I very nearly punched out my monitor the other day. I gotta clear out more room.

My long dangly lampshade got taken off and the cord & bulb gaffa taped to the ceiling after the first overhead smash :o:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

eonwe posted:

i cant figure out the controls for h3vr on the oculus rift s

For most guns, the right controller does almost all the work. Grip to hold, trigger to shoot. Click left for safety, click down to release clip, right for fire selector. Left controller is mostly for gripping except some things like the RPG7.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

For most guns, the right controller does almost all the work. Grip to hold, trigger to shoot. Click left for safety, click down to release clip, right for fire selector. Left controller is mostly for gripping except some things like the RPG7.

That really depends on if you're right-handed or not.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Small things that I don't know if it's just I need to update my contacts prescription or just how it is: My right eye is a bit blurrier than my left in VR even when I adjust the IPD to my measured width and fiddle with the headset. Like when I sight down something in H3VR, if I sight on my right it's blurry, but if I sight on my left it looks fine. Also, when I bring something close to my face in H3VR it's hard to focus on it, like my eyes are going cross eyed but physically they aren't. But like when I move that object around a foot or two from my virtual face, it's all crystal clear.

Not sure why one would be blurrier. Try moving the headset around and see if it clears up for that eye at all, if not, you may just be in need of a new prescription.

As to the difficulty to focus on close object, congratulations, you've discovered the vergence/accomodation conflict of modern VR headsets. In a nutshell VR headsets right now change the images each eye gets, their convergence, which is one way we tell distance and 3d space. We also however focus our eyes directly depending on distance, however this is where vr headsets fail as everything is on one focal plane. Essentially, the convergence of the 2 images says "this is 5 inches away" but you're eyes focus says "no, this is 2 meters away". This problem is the reason for all the research into varifocal displays, light field displays, focal surfaces, and other tech.

Here, this explains it better probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwO-3AgNIao

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 25, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anyone else is making their own avatars for VRChat, Humble Bundle currently has a very nice Unity asset bundle for $15USD that includes Dynamic Bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Zaphod42 posted:

What are you playing it on? I picked it up on my Rift S, and it was really frame droppy and unresponsive - and my system is generally pretty solid otherwise. I've played it on a friend's PSVR though without any issues and loved it.