Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I would pull some more until you get his 35. It's not as important as the 15 but still good. You'll probably get some more 15s from that. Also check your Player tab in the Quests screen, you may have a quest to earn another copy of his 15.

General rule of thumb is to never ever use power stones on a weapon unless you're absolutely 100% done pulling on a banner.

You need four stones per Limit Break, which come from selling four different weapons (and sometimes as rewards).
A copy of a weapon, when shoved into that weapon, gives a full Limit Break.

If you use stones on something then pull again, invariably you'll get a copy of that weapon that is now only worth one stone instead of four.

Thanks! I'll plan to pull a couple more time to try for his 35 then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wisdomHNOX posted:

Thanks! I'll plan to pull a couple more time to try for his 35 then!

There also exists, in the token exchange, a weapon shop. You can use weapon tokens (red, usually comes at the end of the daily log in rewards, some events, and monthly missions) that you can use to buy 15/35s. 15s are ten tokens and 35s are twenty five tokens.

These tokens come pretty rarely though; I think we've gotten less than a 100 since they were introduced almost a year ago if not less. They're not something you'll have right now but their best use is something like your scenario, buying a specific weapon if you have the rest.

We're also getting an EX shop soonish with the same idea but the tokens will be even more rare and I don't think every EX will be on it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There also exists, in the token exchange, a weapon shop. You can use weapon tokens (red, usually comes at the end of the daily log in rewards, some events, and monthly missions) that you can use to buy 15/35s. 15s are ten tokens and 35s are twenty five tokens.

These tokens come pretty rarely though; I think we've gotten less than a 100 since they were introduced almost a year ago if not less. They're not something you'll have right now but their best use is something like your scenario, buying a specific weapon if you have the rest.

We're also getting an EX shop soonish with the same idea but the tokens will be even more rare and I don't think every EX will be on it.

For the EX shop youll have to complete heretics to get tokens for it, and its just the main characters from ff 1-15(both cecils included). Theres a second one much later that will include the spinoff mains ie yuna, vincent, zack etc. But for now itll be just the 1-15 unless they change it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I had a tough time with Lost Chapter Noctis Hard Ch. 13... the last time I did it.

Today I completed it with a proper score because I remembered that bringing a WoL helper buddy to give shining shield would help me not die, even if he disappeared after the first phantom went down. Only Noctis took damage since he's my only character above 60 Crystal level now (but not at 70, not enough crystals to max him out but close when I bother to get regular ones), but I rolled it with Noctis, Lightning, and Sephiroth. All of them have their EX, of course. I could have made it "easier" using Kefka to lock out HP attacks but since the shield went on Noctis he only took some HP damage instead of instant kill and then the entire team dies mode.

Why do I like this terrible game. I haven't spent any money on it and use tickets on banners for character I like and pull on normal ones if it's half price or free.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did two pulls on Yuna because gently caress it.

Pulled her EX. Now I have to farm her good artifacts.

:shepicide:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did two pulls on Yuna because gently caress it.

Pulled her EX. Now I have to farm her good artifacts.

:shepicide:

Don’t do it. I promise it’s not worth it. :smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Don’t do it. I promise it’s not worth it. :smith:

This is my artifact grind! It was made for me!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Basically if you want to use Yuna at any point for harder content getting at least one or two perfect artifacts is vital. Her MBrv is pitiful without them. I think maybe you can get by with just 3 charged esuna boosts cause that covers the bulk of the mbrv increase. But still. Thank god they dropped this idea after 6 characters.

Funny enough, I managed a perfect Cater! My artifact luck is awful to balance out my good gacha luck in this. But of course when it does bite, it's on Cater! Wonder what her EX will be like.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 22, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

They knew that was an issue. They should have fixed the Artifacts for Global.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that they should have given us L70 and EX stuff at launch.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Then again, I'm of the opinion that they should have given us L70 and EX stuff at launch.

They had a stream where they said they looked into it but felt like it would gently caress up game balance if they just gave them the passives.

IMO what they should have done was just have each of the six "cursed" characters straight up gifted three perfect artifacts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

You mean launch of the game? I don't think Japan had them then

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

For a while they actually were trying to catch us up with JP. But they realized a little ways in that it just wasn't feasible. So they ended up doing Beatrix as a global-first as a sort of consolation. We initially were a year behind and gained about two months on them total so now it's just 10 months. We seem to be gaining a little bit right now with September being the first three-character month in a while. So who knows what they're doing.

To some extent the gap is good in other ways it's bad. It's good cause you know what to save for and can get what you want and we get certain QoL stuff early. The bad is that we don't get the same excitement and hype around new character releases and the global character release culture is like "skipping until 10 months from now where there will be another banner I'm waiting for in the next 10 months ahead once that gets here". With Beatrix there were so many unknowns and exciting speculations about who to pair her with and what her stuff would look like etc. And she ended up being a great character that was useful for a long time. So we have it much easier in global to complete content. But we miss out on a lot of the excitement unless you don't follow JP at all which is hard if you're a person who actually reads about the game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Personally I really like having the foresight we have in the global version. I’m all about planning in these sorts of games, and the 10 month lead time coupled with the 75k gem cap on how much any EX can cost means you can pick a couple foundational characters to build around every few months.

Sometimes you get lucky and it costs less gems than you budgeted. Others you burn tickets and end up with favorite characters to enjoy. For a gacha game it’s all remarkably reasonable.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Took me two pulls to get Selphie EX. I've gotten 5 or 6 EXs in the past month and didn't have to pity any of them. I don't know what's going on anymore.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
As much as I agree with foresight taking a lot of the excitement out of the game, it would be a lot harder to be F2P without it. Right now I can just casually grind events out and only use gems on the really meta defining people (Lenna, Rinoa, Vayne, Sherlotta, Ultimecia) and be able to clear content fairly easily. It also leaves plenty of tickets for people who I would like to have, but don't need necessarily.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone on Reddit made a good point (for once) that they don't want anymore surprise global units. They've planned their pulls out for a while and if someone they really want suddenly appears, that throws everything out the window.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I wasn't going to pull for Selphie but decided to cause I like the weapon aesthetic and the effect is kinda cool. Did like 42 tickets and then a multi, just got some thancred weapons and a selphie 15. Two more tickets, and out came the EX!! That's #35 for me. Speaking of 35 though, I don't have any LBs for her 35 and don't have the powerstones to upgrade it. And that passive, you can't really do without on Selphie. But hey, I got the cool weapon! Setzer you're next! Prompto, maybe next time. Might try to get some copies of her 35 if Setzer is kind to me.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone on Reddit made a good point (for once) that they don't want anymore surprise global units. They've planned their pulls out for a while and if someone they really want suddenly appears, that throws everything out the window.

See this is just a sad way of looking at things for me. Why do you need to plan so excessively? What's the point if there's no excitement or surprise. Not everything is thrown out the window by that. And that global unit might eliminate the need for one of those future plans. Or you just might not like that character that got released.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Agreed that guy is taking it too far for sure. Beatrix was cool, fun, and good. I welcome another surprise globex character

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kawalimus posted:

See this is just a sad way of looking at things for me. Why do you need to plan so excessively? What's the point if there's no excitement or surprise. Not everything is thrown out the window by that. And that global unit might eliminate the need for one of those future plans. Or you just might not like that character that got released.

Because this is a F2P game. Even in one as generous as Opera Omnia resources are limited and RNG is a huge factor.

Some of us don’t find anything “exciting” or interesting about a random global exclusive character being thrown into the mix. For me it mostly makes me think of FF Brave Exvius, probably the most vile and predatory F2P game I’ve ever played. FFBE loves to trot out overpowered global exclusive characters any time they want to spike currency sales. (They always want to spike currency sales)

With a different monetization model the need for careful planning would be diminished, but as it stands adding unexpected characters is just a recipe for frustration. I’d rather get my excitement and surprise from spending tickets on random banners, while still being able to plan for the essential characters.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I read a comment once that said with this kind of game, JP players tend to be way more casual than global players. Global players play this sort of game as a substitute for a AAA title but the JP players(non whales I guess they mean) just kind of go week to week. And global players always want more frequent content and get mad when there are months that don't have a lot to do. I don't know how true this actually is but it's kind of interesting and I think of that when I see these super planner type posts.

Beatrix wasn't global exclusive, she was global first. BE is vile and this game would have to do a LOT to get anywhere near that level. I play BE just casually for the story and I routinely go over 100 draws without a rainbow draw and I'm like man, thank god I don't play this. FFBE is such a completely different kind of game there's no comparing the two and run by different companies. And has its own pool of characters not even involved with the FF series.

Especially right now there's just no need to plan excessively because in our current era if you have like one or two characters (WoL and Vayne/Noctis) everything else is a cherry on top.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 23, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh I’ll absolutely agree that there’s a loooooooooong way to go for Opera Omnia to be even a fraction as bad as FFBE. Just trying to explain why global exclusives/surprise early launches leave a bad taste in my mouth and FFBE is the most extreme example.

I suspect it’s just one of those “agree to disagree” things. To me, most of the fun in these games is in the planning. Studying the upcoming characters, making lists, figuring out how to spend limited resources. It’s a fun thing to think about when things get quiet at work and I have time to kill.

When that sort of strategizing is core to your enjoyment of a game, elements that disrupt it are unwelcome.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

As someone that's completely tapped the game out of content, I do have to at least somewhat plan out my pulls. I want to be able to pity Sherlotta and Ultimecia; I did some napkin math using the free gems predictions and I should be able to do so by the time they roll around. This freed up some gems for me to spend on Selphie and maybe a few others if I want without having to become a literal dragon.

If they were to insert a new global first between those two and they're as good as Beatrix was on release, I would have to either get really lucky or potentially not be able to pity one of the others.

Like you said, a new global could replace one of them, or I could actually get lucky, or it doesn't really matter because not everyone plays meta only and that's fine! I think it's just another perspective that is valid.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't want them to give us every character available in Japan at launch. I just wanted them to launch the game with all of the reworks already done, the level cap already at 70, Artifacts, EX Weapons, Bloom Stones, Character Boards, and whatever that A, B, C Slot thing is.

When I installed the game at launch, I should have been able to take WOL to 70, get his EX, Artifacts, etc. It's way too late now, of course. But to me, that's how it should have launched. :shrug:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I don't want them to give us every character available in Japan at launch. I just wanted them to launch the game with all of the reworks already done, the level cap already at 70, Artifacts, EX Weapons, Bloom Stones, Character Boards, and whatever that A, B, C Slot thing is.

When I installed the game at launch, I should have been able to take WOL to 70, get his EX, Artifacts, etc. It's way too late now, of course. But to me, that's how it should have launched. :shrug:

Level 70 in Japan wasn't until October last year, 9 months after global launch. Level 60 started in November 2017, and it would've been pretty weird for a new game launch to have some characters at 60 and the others stuck at 50. I agree that maybe characters should have been launched with reworks already in but there's no way to have started with EXs, artifacts, bloom stones, character boards, all that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I dunno, I’m enjoying the journey. Starting with current day JP would have probably lead to me quitting fairly shortly after launch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Monthly stream is over and thanks to tas from Discord for capturing the images!

World of Illusions is changing. No longer will it be a stage where you earn artifacts for certain characters. Instead, there will be six stages, one for each crystal, that you run for 40 Stamina each. Every run will give you 30 silver tokens and 10 gold tokens (2x/3x with books) that you can spend at a token shop. 30 silver trades for a 4* artifact, 10 gold for a 5* artifact, of whatever character you choose. The current WoI artifact stages will stay until their time runs out and then they're gone forever so make sure you finish them for the gems. As well, when new characters are released, there will be special missions to buy their artifacts to earn gems, so we won't be losing any free gems from this change.

A new Abyss stage with a minor adjustment to how they work. Looks better.

Finally, someone Noctis knows.

Ultimate Ramuh, same as Ultimate Ifrit/Shiva. Plenty of grinding to do, if you're in to that. The "Featured Characters" will have 2x EXP for Ramuh's board, AND if you use even just one of them, the other characters in the party also get 2x EXP. This stacks with books, same as any normal 2x character. This means if you have one of those six characters and they're strong enough to carry another two characters, you can get through your roster much faster. Remember that these featured characters are limited time.

Unfortunately, Greg never gets good. Sorry, FFV fans. I think Alphinaud is Alisaie's brother? Or bodyguard? I haven't really played 14 much.

Relm is fun and gets really really good in the future. The new character is a mystery! Leon's best feature are his kneepads.

It's Aphmau.

The Portal App is some thing you can log in to and get points. I've never used it. The Portal App events are a global "If X players log in during this time" event so you don't really have to do anything if you don't already.

The Autumn events are a good way to stock up on mats from the MP, because the "treats" and whatever "???" is give you a ton of extra tokens. Also animated stickers are the true endgame.

This is what people mean when they say OO is pretty generous. Everyone gets a free 11 item draw on a banner that has three EX weapons, along with those character's 15s/35s, and you will draw ONLY those weapons, nothing from other characters. If you don't have anything for them, this banner is perfect. If you're just missing an EX or something, maybe you'll get lucky!

Carbuncle's Treasures is a special summon type place. It's mostly used to farm up weapon/armor orbs and gil; you can also rarely get mats for the Chocobo/Sylph summons. You will not get enough mats to bring them from 11 to 20 unless you're chain running this place the entire time so don't worry about it too much. Just do it whenever, collect some mats, it's fine.

This ALSO features the EX Token Shop, a limited time thing; the end of this post has a picture with the available weapons. I don't know how many weapons you'll be able to get from this but I'm guessing 2-3? The shop will come back in the future and eventually is made permanent. I think.

Next story chapter arrives, with Noel from FF13. Locke is featured in this chapter but his Lost Chapter won't be here in time so they're temporarily bringing back his Character EVENT instead. I don't think there will be a COSMOS level for him as his event didn't originally have them. Also a free 11 item draw, just because.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Separate from the stream, this is the list of EX weapons that will be available in the shop. Blue weapons are available during the first appearance, the second appearance (whenever that is) will also have the red weapons available.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 24, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh hell yeah, EX main characters shop confirmed! :woop:

WoL EX will be MINE! :getin:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'm getting P. Cecil from the shop in all likelihood.

Wow at consecutive months of new story chapters. That hasn't happened since chapter 6 came out the first month after the first five. I'm guessing they are pushing full steam ahead to EX+. I'm ready!

Also after Aphmau is the long-awaited Sherlotta.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
IMO if you don’t have Warrior of Light that’s a snap pick must have regardless of what else you have or don’t have. Simply having WoL will let you run almost anything else in your second or third slots and be able to clear most of the content for a long time. If you like off-meta characters having WoL will let you succeed with them. He’s that good for a really long time.

After that Noctis and Cloud are a solid second tier.

After that it’s just a question of picking your favorites. None of them are really aggressively bad, lots are just kinda mediocre. But if you have WoL and as a fan have a favorite, you’re fine picking almost anything.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Y'shtola is another very good pick, she becomes a major player in EX+ era.

I'm picking P. Cecil cause I already have WoL, Cloud, Y'sh. In fact I have most of them! Noctis I don't have but I have Vayne, so I can pull on him in EX+. P. Cecil comes back on banners that I can totally skip if I have him and I'd like his stuff cause he's P. Cecil. So that's who I'm taking.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm probably going for Cloud UNLESS I get his EX from the free pull. I literally don't need anything else on that banner so it's a long shot. Otherwise, Ace if I don't pull him (if the shop and his EX overlap) or Pecil. I'm assuming Ace won't work so Pecil it is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

There is no character named Greg. Gilgamesh never gets better because he's a bad character.

Noel has no business being added to any game. The only good thing about 13-2 was playable Sarah. There's nothing good about 13-3.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kawalimus posted:

Y'shtola is another very good pick, she becomes a major player in EX+ era.

I'm picking P. Cecil cause I already have WoL, Cloud, Y'sh. In fact I have most of them! Noctis I don't have but I have Vayne, so I can pull on him in EX+. P. Cecil comes back on banners that I can totally skip if I have him and I'd like his stuff cause he's P. Cecil. So that's who I'm taking.

Yeah I waffled over whether to include Y’shtola. IMO she’s right at the edge of the Noctis/Cloud tier and the “just for fun” tier.

Really the only totally wrong thing someone could do is not picking WoL if they don’t have him.

As someone with both Noctis and Vayne I’d say your reasoning is pretty solid. Noctis is clearly better, but not by an enormous margin. I don’t think there’s anything I’m clearing with Noctis that I wouldn’t be able to with Vayne.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

There is no character named Greg. Gilgamesh never gets better because he's a bad character.

Noel has no business being added to any game. The only good thing about 13-2 was playable Sarah. There's nothing good about 13-3.

Greg started life in FFV and all his appearance in other games are canonically the exact same person.

He is also my friend.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

WoL is strong. He can just casually negate a Megaflare right now. How much better does he get with ex+?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Arbitrary Number posted:

WoL is strong. He can just casually negate a Megaflare right now. How much better does he get with ex+?

Supposedly it isn't very good. Worth using a book on but no ingots. But he's still useful in early chaos iirc

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Greg started life in FFV and all his appearance in other games are canonically the exact same person.

He is also my friend.

His name is Gilgamesh, and retconning every appearance of him to be the same was dumb. He's a bad character.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He is also my friend.

Same. Can’t justify gems on him but Greg is def getting however many tickets I’ll have by then. :allears:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Greg is the best and I'm happy they put him in every FF game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The way adding friends in this game keeps throwing me off. I'm so used to getting the option to add someone as a friend after whatever battle I use them in, so I keep forgetting to add them before I start.

Also, am I the only one who'd love to see a Dissidia Dragon Quest Opera Omnia?