Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Watched Toy Story 4 last night, it was a very cute film. The beginning sequence as well, with the rain, was beautiful. You could tell there was some crazy new technology that went into making some of the effects for this film. Forky is one of my favorite Pixar characters now too.

What I really liked about Toy Story 4 is that every set-up is for a scare straight out of a horror movie, but every resolution to the set-up is a joke instead. It's very strange, especially for Toy Story 4, but it works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Robindaybird posted:

Even Disney kind of gets Jiminy is not great person, the House of Mouse cartoon depicts him as being extremely overbearing and very 'I know what's best for you'.

Jiminy Cricket being a terrible conscience who only got the job because he was in the right place at the right time is a running joke throughout the film. Like Pinocchio himself, he only truly becomes worthy of his moniker when he overcomes his negative qualities towards the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ducktales 2017 had a Ghost of Christmas that's obviously based on Jiminy. He's weirdly possessive of Scrooge and tries trapping him in a time-loop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ducktales 2017 had a Ghost of Christmas that's obviously based on Jiminy. He's weirdly possessive of Scrooge and tries trapping him in a time-loop.

That's because the whole episode is an alternate take on Mickey's Christmas Carol, which had actual Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of Christmas Past. (And Pete famously as the Ghost of Christmas Future; the Ghost of Christmas Present is the only fully original one)

Franchescanado posted:

What I really liked about Toy Story 4 is that every set-up is for a scare straight out of a horror movie, but every resolution to the set-up is a joke instead. It's very strange, especially for Toy Story 4, but it works perfectly.

Horror and comedy have a lot in common tone-wise, with the set-up and release of tension.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's because the whole episode is an alternate take on Mickey's Christmas Carol, which had actual Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of Christmas Past. (And Pete famously as the Ghost of Christmas Future; the Ghost of Christmas Present is the only fully original one)

As a result it's also one of the few (but not the only if I recall correctly) adaptions of the story where the Ghost of Christmas Future actually talks.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

nerdman42 posted:

The best game is to watch Pinocchio with the understanding that Jiminy Cricket is just. An unbelievable rear end in a top hat and hypocrite. I've had a drunk party where we would all just cheer when he showed up so we could yell at him for being the worst some more.

Didn't Pinocchio just straight up murder that little bastard in the original book?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

font color sea posted:

Didn't Pinocchio just straight up murder that little bastard in the original book?

Yup, I think the cricket still comes back as a ghost later though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the Ghost of Christmas Present is the giant from Mickey and the Beanstalk

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Latest Siames music video is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM7Eh0gGNKA

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Toy Story 4 just came out on home media, so I'll quote back to around the first page of when it came out in theaters in June.

Zero One posted:

No I felt the same. She spends the movie manipulating Forky so she can manipulate Woody into handing over his voicebox. It's a terrible message to kids that you can use someone's emotions to get them to do whatever you want.

If they still wanted the same happy ending for Gabby it would have been an better to make Woody hand over his voicebox as part of realization he made on his own as part of his growth.

Even though Forky was being held hostage, when he made the decision to hand over his voicebox, it did seem like he was affected by Gabby's speech, which at first seemed like a distraction ploy before it was apparent it was heartfelt. He handed over his voicebox on his own. Woody had essentially become like Mayor Dewey in Steven Universe, desperate to hold onto a leadership position because he was afraid that there wasn't any other way for him to feel useful, even when other characters like Molly and Bo possessed more expertise on how to deal with the situation at hand. Letting go of the voicebox meant letting go of that.

General Dog posted:

A couple of other odd TS4 beats:

-Movie establishes tension between Molly and Woody, since Molly serves the roll in Bonnie’s room that Woody is used to having (which makes sense), but then Molly is basically a non factor for the rest of the movie.

-Not to get all MRA, but Jessie ending up with Woody’s sheriff badge is kind of weird. As mentioned, Molly seems pretty established as the leader of the room, and Buzz growing into the role of de facto leader in Woody’s absence is a pretty clear narrative thread for him. Meanwhile, Jessie is barely in the movie, so when she gets the symbolic passing of the torch moment, it feels out of left field. (I know there’s the moment when Bonnie gives Jessie the badge there, but it only really exists to set up the moment at the end.)

-I understand thematically why Woody giving up his voice box makes sense, what with “voice” and agency being motifs that the movie hammers pretty hard. That said, the (unintentional?) visual implication after it’s taken out and he’s been stitched up is that he’s been castrated, and I found it weirdly unsettling. This likely says more about me than it does the movie.

It would've made more sense for Molly to have the sheriff's badge, as a symbol of leadership in the context of the sentient toy reality we see, but as toys it made more sense from Jessie to get Woody's sheriff badge since they're part of the same set, since Jessie and Molly would have to pass around the sheriff badge every time they unfreeze. Anyway, the movie was a lot better than I was expecting. The moment where Woody got through to Forky was hilarious.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 20, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mark Kermode’s review of TS4 is spot on in that this was unexpectedly great, and now there doesn’t need to be another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DqU99FXGgo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cover of "it's a B-movie" from Brave little toaster because it's almost Halloween time and I'm feeling spooky: https://youtu.be/Dhfg8lRB-CQ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Cover of "it's a B-movie" from Brave little toaster because it's almost Halloween time and I'm feeling spooky: https://youtu.be/Dhfg8lRB-CQ

:discourse: :discourse: :discourse: :discourse: :discourse: :discourse:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That movie has a lot of good songs and they deserve many great covers such as this.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
They’re by VAN DYKE PARKS :supaburn:

A legit musical genius

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Boxman posted:

Like, I don't think I'm crazy here; Jessie and Woody's faces are definitely off model, right? It's extra weird in Florida, when Woody meets in line of sight of a 20 foot model Woody that looks just fine. Hell, Jessie standing next to the poster with Jessie in that photo is a little bad.

It's because both Woodie and Jesse have tiny necks with giant heads. Jesse moreso than woody. With Woody, the uncannyness comes from a very lanky body suddenly having to fit human proportions. So a head that works for someone with 10 foot arms suddenly looks very off when they're only 2.

Meanwhile Jesse is literally impossible for a human performer to replicate. Thus she looks like a squat head with no neck. If you want a realistic looking Jesse, the only way they could go about it is with puppetry, and they don't survive hundreds of kids hugging it in a day.

Buzz works a lot better, as he's just a head sticking out of a can, so his proportions are a lot easier to cheat.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like just doing them as face characters would be fine and actually make the most sense. Like I think Jessie with a wig and some make-up could still get across the toy like look.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So Disenchantment Season 2 snuck up, and just finished it up just now.

Thoughts so far: it’s largely the same as S1... So a solid “ehhh”. Had a decent number of jokes that landed, a few that really didn’t, and largely followed the same plot beats while having about as much filler in between.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I upheld season 1 and had belief S2 would be better, it isn't. It's now solidly on my skip pile.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I upheld season 1 and had belief S2 would be better, it isn't. It's now solidly on my skip pile.

Season 1 was a rough start, but there were reasons to believe that the show could find its footing and improve. Then season 2 happened and showed that no, it wasn't actually a rough start the show is just like that and not going to change.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Currently going through Disenchantment season 2. Only finished the 1st ep. Was entertaining enough. :shrug:
How the hell do you guys finish this stuff so fast? :psyduck:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, the biggest problem is that it just doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. Slice of life stuff with a quirky medieval kingdom? Some grand serialized adventure with some humor?

I get the feeling that it would’ve gone better if they’d more solidly committed to one or the other, instead of trying to awkwardly be both at the same time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwzLiQZDw2I

Frozen 2 honestly looks sick. It almost feels like the first movie was a movie they had to put out so they could eventually make the real movie they wanted to make.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Regalingualius posted:

Really, the biggest problem is that it just doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. Slice of life stuff with a quirky medieval kingdom? Some grand serialized adventure with some humor?

I get the feeling that it would’ve gone better if they’d more solidly committed to one or the other, instead of trying to awkwardly be both at the same time.

I get the impression it's an adult cartoon playing catch-up, badly, to what kids' cartoons have been doing for years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Frozen 2 honestly looks sick. It almost feels like the first movie was a movie they had to put out so they could eventually make the real movie they wanted to make.

super sick visuals, at least

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Looks great! Still not a fan of Olaf, though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Regalingualius posted:

Thoughts so far: it’s largely the same as S1... So a solid “ehhh”. Had a decent number of jokes that landed, a few that really didn’t, and largely followed the same plot beats while having about as much filler in between.

It actually still is season 1, this is just the second half of season 1, not a second season.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Macaluso posted:

Development sounded pretty rough for the first one, so in a certain way I imagine they didn't even know what film they were putting out until late in the game. Now that they know what world and characters they're working with, it's probably easier to build within those boundaries something interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

hiddenriverninja posted:

Looks great! Still not a fan of Olaf, though.

Olaf really has no place in this any more. I will accept the moose, but the wacky snowman can go any time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Darth TNT posted:

How the hell do you guys finish this stuff so fast? :psyduck:

Depression

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It actually still is season 1, this is just the second half of season 1, not a second season.

Ohh, I see; Netflix splitting it into two parts in their UI didn’t help with clearing that up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Regalingualius posted:

Ohh, I see; Netflix splitting it into two parts in their UI didn’t help with clearing that up.

I think the show only looks just okay, but you can tell they are pushing it to be some sort of ultra presteege animation thing, and every other scene has some ultra detailed expansive brand new background that combines 2D and 3D elements. I think every episode probably takes roughly a million years to animate and they deliberately split the first season so there wouldn't be like 4 years between seasons or something.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Development sounded pretty rough for the first one, so in a certain way I imagine they didn't even know what film they were putting out until late in the game. Now that they know what world and characters they're working with, it's probably easier to build within those boundaries something interesting.

I've always felt like Frozen was sort of pushed into being something it wasn't really meant to be by executive demands. I know they say that it was a natural development on part of the writers, but it just doesn't click for me (the fact that the Prince Hans twist is so poorly done just helps that theory). It's a feeling that's popped up in my head whenever I see the killer concept art for when Elsa was more of a tortured villain, or hear the cut songs where their relationship is much more angry (Life's Too Short is not only a bop but also much more realistic because I've had that exact fight with my brother). The movie we've got seems very on the edge about having there be any sort of real conflict between the two, and they only have one real fight (more of a disagreement, really)- plus Elsa's fuckup is thoroughly framed as a mistake instead of an active choice on her part. The result is that the Frozen we got just feels bland, with the edges sanded down. So if they end up doing something much more focused with the sequel, I see it as a net positive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Prince Hans twist owns, gently caress the haters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCXUFImZYE

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly, if anything the Hans twist was a little too subtle - I'm not sure if I would've picked up the signs at all on a first watch if I hadn't already known the twist.

My issue with the movie is more the pacing - it's front-loaded with songs, with only the really forgettable and ill-timed troll song past the half-way mark, and makes the trolls look like selfish pricks for being more concern about Kristoff getting hitched than the fact the "Bride" might end up dropping dead any time if she doesn't see the elder Right Now.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Would the Hans twist be as bad if it didn't seem like every other disney movie nowadays has a villain twist?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, remove "other" from that sentence and it's more accurate.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

It's basically like a hard magic trick... I don't envy anyone who tries to do it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i never knew people didn't like the hans twist until now, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I liked the Hans twist