Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

Also you want this to come up in the Senate.

You want every single republican to hang this around their neck for when the next horrific scandal comes out.

Pretty sure that's only a threat to Republicans in blue states - the ones in red states only grow stronger each time they cravenly defend Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he really likes digging his own grave. too bad pelosi would shovel him in.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty sure that's only a threat to Republicans in blue states - the ones in red states only grow stronger each time they cravenly defend Trump

John Cornyn and Thom Tillis do not want to make that vote.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FizFashizzle posted:

I already said this but I'll repeat; this is them shifting blame to Pompeo, and he's going to be their fall guy.

USPOL Fall: Guys

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

John Cornyn and Thom Tillis do not want to make that vote.

You're correct, I was just responding to the "each and every one" part of it, but nobody in purple or blue states wants to make the vote - Cory Gardner and Susan Collins are likely terrified of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Also you want this to come up in the Senate.

You want every single republican to hang this around their neck for when the next horrific scandal comes out.

you're right. the people against it and thinking the senate vote will "absolve" trump are also forgetting the kind of effect impeachment hearings will have on the public.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Was this already known to be part of it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/...K9P8WYoiVogw3zU

quote:

Ukraine, Seeking U.S. Missiles, Halted Cooperation With Mueller Investigation

This seems like a second thing outside of the Biden part.

edit: ohhhh it's really old

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

You're correct, I was just responding to the "each and every one" part of it, but nobody in purple states wants to make the vote - Cory Gardner and Susan Collins are likely terrified of it.

Even if not all of them are vulnerable now, they might be later. Big votes, especially in the senate, have a way of coming back to haunt people, with Clinton being the obvious example. It's why the Senate goes out of its way to never vote on anything.

But you're right, not all of them are in immediate danger.

And lmao Collins knows she's dead in the water she'll probably vote no just to spite the state.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

You're correct, I was just responding to the "each and every one" part of it, but nobody in purple or blue states wants to make the vote - Cory Gardner and Susan Collins are likely terrified of it.

Collins can rest easy because she's getting booted the next time she's up, anyway.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mdemone posted:

Collins can rest easy because she's getting booted the next time she's up, anyway.

Even the most vulnerable Senator holds out hope that Roy Moore will suddenly declare candidacy in their state.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am seeing a very big trend of MAGA people saying Thunberg should be spanked.

:wtf:

She is a 16 year old girl and most of them are mysoginists/ pedophiles in some way, soooo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's really funny to me that Trump keeps calling it a 'perfect phone call' as if that's a thing, but he's just so used to dipshit marketing talk he doesn't realize it sounds dumb.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

AhhYes posted:

The gently caress? I ... don't know what to say to that.

Also, is it correct that a formal impeachment inquiry grants additional authority to the investigators and so would change the current investigations? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find much on it.

It technically does not give them additional authority. Congress subpoenas are still subpoenas, but the mechanisms for punishing someone for ignoring them is different when it is a congressional subpoenas. Ultimately, the punishment for ignoring congressional subpoenas is enforced by... the Justice Department, which is part of the Executive Branch.

So when the person you are investigating is the President, it becomes apparently impossible to enforce subpoenas.

Therefore the only option is opening a formal impeachment investigation and forcing people to comply and impeaching for obstruction of justice when the White House continues to block testimony.

This is the double-edged sword, because Trump is forcing Democrats to impeach blindly without being allowed to investigate properly first.

This is as frustrating as it sounds. There is no good mechanism for investing a sitting president, as it turns out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Part of what has made Trump so strong and untouchable has been the GOP's absolute unflinching loyalty to him. Save Justin Amash, there hasn't been a single Republican who has made a peep about Trump or Trump's actions beyond a meely mouthed "I'm concerned" statement every so often. So GOP senators and congressmen will need to make a choice. Hold the party line (this will be SUPER easy for some, but others could be a death sentence for the political careers if their district or state is even close to purple) or speak up and oppose Trump and incur the wrath of the party and the President. My guess is, many will just retire or not run for re-election (many have already done that, likely foreseeing this catch 22).

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

just got off a perfect phone call. a beautiful conversation. tremendous verbiage.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Send Melania to the DMZ to do the mean mugging instead of Pence, god drat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

This is the double-edged sword, because Trump is forcing Democrats to impeach blindly without being allowed to investigate properly first.

They could close their eyes and throw a dart and hit something to justify it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Slowpoke! posted:

This is as frustrating as it sounds. There is no good mechanism for investing a sitting president, as it turns out.
Well, there is, assuming that he doesn't have the backing of a party that won't break from him no matter what.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

it's really funny to me that Trump keeps calling it a 'perfect phone call' as if that's a thing, but he's just so used to dipshit marketing talk he doesn't realize it sounds dumb.

he only knows maybe four adjectives so everything is beautiful or perfect even when it makes no sense.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

WRT climate change, consumer choice action is a bad joke. A single fracking site emits more greenhouse gas in an afternoon than you could save in a year.

This is absolutely untrue. Transportation accounts for about 30% of US carbon emissions. More than half of that is from passenger cars and trucks, with the remainder coming from stuff like freight and airplanes. Agriculture is another 9%, with the bulk of that going to livestock (especially beef) and food for livestock. The industrial sector as a whole accounts for "only" 22% of total emissions, less than the energy sector's 28%.

Source: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

While you're right that an individual is a small part, a societal change towards normalizing vegetarian diets and improving public transport options would make a real significant difference.

PLEASE, anyone who is interested in climate change topics, go read some primary sources. I strongly recommend the latest IPCC Summary Report for Policymakers. It's not a hard read and you will be so much more informed than reading forum posts or popular news articles.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something that you, and most people, can do right now is to stop eating meat. That alone is probably the biggest most impactful thing any of us without money or power can do.

Stopping is maybe asking too much though for most people, so the next best thing is to eat less meat.

The next best thing is 'stop eating beef', because beef ranching is worse that almost all other human agriculture combined.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

What? No, opening an impeachment inquiry absolutely does give them additional authority, they no longer have to show that their subpoenas have a legitimate legislative purpose and several other hurdles in the way disappear (e.g.: 6(e) grand jury secrecy).

And you've confused one method for the enforcement of subpoenas for the sole method of enforcement. A criminal referral to the DOJ is obviously useless, which is why historically Congress has gone to federal court for civil enforcement of its subpoenas, because once you get a federal judge order someone to comply, defying that federal judge is a surefire ticket to sanctions and jail time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ColdPie posted:

This is absolutely untrue. Transportation accounts for about 30% of US carbon emissions. More than half of that is from passenger cars and trucks, with the remainder coming from stuff like freight and airplanes. Agriculture is another 9%, with the bulk of that going to livestock (especially beef) and food for livestock. The industrial sector as a whole accounts for "only" 22% of total emissions, less than the energy sector's 28%.

While you're right that an individual is a small part, a societal change towards normalizing vegetarian diets and improving public transport options would make a real significant difference.

PLEASE, anyone who is interested in climate change topics, go read some primary sources. I strongly recommend the latest IPCC Summary Report for Policymakers. It's not a hard read and you will be so much more informed than reading forum posts or popular news articles.

True, I will stop driving my 50 million consumer cars and eating my 20 million head of cattle each year. Too bad even I with my superpowers cannot stop the other 71% of climate emissions. If only there was some entity capable of restraining people by formal codes backed by a monopoly on violence.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 24, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mahoning posted:

Part of what has made Trump so strong and untouchable has been the GOP's absolute unflinching loyalty to him. Save Justin Amash, there hasn't been a single Republican who has made a peep about Trump or Trump's actions beyond a meely mouthed "I'm concerned" statement every so often. So GOP senators and congressmen will need to make a choice. Hold the party line (this will be SUPER easy for some, but others could be a death sentence for the political careers if their district or state is even close to purple) or speak up and oppose Trump and incur the wrath of the party and the President. My guess is, many will just retire or not run for re-election (many have already done that, likely foreseeing this catch 22).

I've made posts to this effect before, but I think the federal government is basically facing two stress tests at this point.

First, it's the willingness of Democrats to impeach. Impeachment won't do anything if Republicans in the Senate won't flip, but impeachment in the face of actual, blatant crimes shouldn't be a political issue. You vote to impeach even if you think nothing is going to happen, because that's your job, and because it gives you wider latitude for pursuing an investigation.

Second, it's whether Republicans will actually remove Trump from office in the event that there's strong evidence that he did something wrong. This one is way more important than people in this thread give it credit for and it's a big part of why impeachment is so important. Nixon is the only other time this has ever really been tested, and there was enough evidence that Republicans would have removed him if he hadn't resigned. If there's similar evidence for Trump and Senate Republicans still won't budge, then our institutions really are toast.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ColdPie posted:

By your own numbers, if we managed to knock Agriculture down to effectively 0...we're still at 90% of emissions. If we all start walking everywhere instead of using personal vehicles, we're at like...70%. Which is a big difference, but also does not solve the problem. The long term trick is making it so that modern society's needs come from sources that don't spew carbon.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

True, I will stop driving my 50 million consumer cars and eating my 20 million head of cattle each year.

Individual consumers are incapable of stopping this, it requires government intervention to change.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's not news but as usual Trump's UN speech is full fash

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If this meeting is at 4, they're trying to dominate the afternoon news cycle.

What horrific thing is Trump going to do to distract them from this, since playing puppet master with the news orgs is the one things he's competent at?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

I think the best argument for impeachment is to make them have to make that vote and in extension make every republican member of congress have to vote up or down on Trump before 2020 which really nationalizes the election. However I could also see McConnell just never bringing it up for a vote in the senate too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

By your own numbers, if we managed to knock Agriculture down to effectively 0...we're still at 90% of emissions. If we all start walking everywhere instead of using personal vehicles, we're at like...70%. Which is a big difference, but also does not solve the problem. The long term trick is making it so that modern society's needs come from sources that don't spew carbon.

Yes, we need to do everything. I'm not arguing against government action, I was at last Friday's protest. I'm arguing that the collective action of individuals does make a difference.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah.

Just to put this into perspective, Greta Thunberg is 16 years old right now. Our best shot at preventing potentially catastrophic warming is for us to stop all CO2 emissions globally before she even turns 25. If we do that, then we'll still have warmed the planet up and we'll still be facing serious issues. That means no natural gas, no coal, no oil, no airplanes, no container ships, nothing... by 2028ish.

We'll never pull that off, but even slightly more realistic plans for aggressive action will mean a world that's going to be drastically different by 2030. This is a problem that can't be solved by consumer action.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sexpig by night posted:

Are they laughing at him again?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

I think the best argument for impeachment is to make them have to make that vote and in extension make every republican member of congress have to vote up or down on Trump before 2020 which really nationalizes the election. However I could also see McConnell just never bringing it up for a vote in the senate too.

I think what McConnell will PROBABLY do is slam the vote through in 20 minutes, dismissing it as partisan nonsense. He tries to not do things that draw attention to himself, and I think that not hearing impeachment will catch public attention much more than not hearing judges.

ColdPie posted:

Yes, we need to do everything. I'm not arguing against government action, I was at last Friday's protest. I'm arguing that the collective action of individuals does make a difference.
It really doesn't. If everyone, and I mean everyone, did most "reduce your footprint" things, we'd likely trim things down by...10, 12%? Which would do nothing but push things back a few years. And that's globally, not just the US. There's nothing wrong with lowering your footprint, but it will not change whether we deal with this or not.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 24, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

He sounds so...tired? I listened to a clip of it and he sounds like he just finished running a loving marathon. Hopefully this means his health is failing. I'm trying to listen to it and he sounds like my 85 year old Accounting 101 professor. I'm falling asleep.

Here is a rough transcript of his speech

Sources...say...sigh...people wait in line for...groceries...sometimes hours at a time...in socialist...vene..zue..la..gargle...burp..

Ironic considering he called Hillary "low energy"

WRT Climate Change and Individual action. Individual action DOES matter. Do what you can. However, do not get mad at the person who decides to eat a T-bone steak after a poo poo day at work, or the family that wants to fly to visit grandma during Thanksgiving. Direct your anger to the corporations and governments that have wrecked our planet. Remember, just 100 companies are responsible for nearly 2/3 of gobal carbon output

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...-climate-change

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 24, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

how bad is it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Are they laughing at him again?

no he's just rambling real low energy about how socialism is evil, social justice is bad, Iran is evil, we must keep people out, etc. He's super boring because he's not getting applause but he's just kinda trudging through his fascist bullshit

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it's going great

https://twitter.com/DustinGiebel/status/1176505148690092034?s=20

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1176505268890406915?s=20

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Trump can't deflect this to Pompeo. It's literally him on the phone; he can't claim some reagan-esque "I have no loving clue what happens here" in this case because it's what he was doing personally.

Which isn't to say he won't try to pull down everyone around him as he goes, but on this behavior it's unambiguous, undenied, and easily verified to be Trump. It's also well within the established wanna-be mob boss behavior pattern Trump follows.

That's why this could finally galvanize even Pelosi into doing a thing: it's splattered all over the windshield, and she can't simply claim that the road is merely bumpy this time.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
This is weirdly depressing. He's just grandpa-ing on through a fashscript to a stone faced room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah this is very obviously a demonstration of the "trump needs glasses and refuses to get them" theory