Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The 30k thread are channers that hate space wolves, take your garbage out of the cool and good nuevo-GW scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

The 30k thread are channers that hate space wolves, take your garbage out of the cool and good nuevo-GW scene.

You used to be cool before you gave up painting your Emperor's Children

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

:negative:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I don't know what a channer is but I do hate Space Wolves.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Yeah everyone loves Los Lobos del Espacius Exterioramus

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Strobe posted:

It's not the same thing. If you're stuck in with a bunch of guardsmen and an Armiger (or something else more important/ dangerous than guardsmen) you can get a bunch of extra attacks from the guardsmen and put them all into the Armiger/whatever.

That's substantially different from every model taking one hit.

Your missing the point by quite a bit, he is saying the small blast could be used to quickly see how many bonus attacks you would get rather than tape measure around the unit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

For real I'd like to take up 30k again but I have no one to play with and the local players I've met or seen in groups aren't exactly people I'd want to strike up friendships with. I'm very motivated to paint 40k right now because I've got a good club with cool people to play with. If my one 30k friend comes back from living interstate I'll probably get a heap of chinaforge Night Lords

masam
May 27, 2010
Im probably not going to play thirty k but i do like some of the models for it and since theyre “Mostly” on the same scale i want them just for fancy dudes in 40k. They are currently the same scale yeah? Also i was told i want a leviathan dreadnaught if i can swing one

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Space Wolves were cool up until thunderwolf cavalry existed. Like, Logan grimnar put an axe through a grey knight grandmasters head.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Not sure how I feel about Jain Zar losing her ability to completely neuter enemy combat characters for the ability to blender hordes a little bit more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Big Willy Style posted:

Space Wolves were cool up until thunderwolf cavalry existed. Like, Logan grimnar put an axe through a grey knight grandmasters head.

My space wolves army lives in 3rd edition it's my canon army lol

I refuse to use jump packs.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Blood claws with jump packs are very cool.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

moths posted:

Templates will always be bad because of their secondary effect, which was bogging the game while someone spreads everything out exactly 2" just in case a template happens.

Good thing there is no gameplay incentive to do that any more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Big Willy Style posted:

Blood claws with jump packs are very cool.

Russ did not intend this

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JBP posted:

If my one 30k friend comes back from living interstate I'll probably get a heap of chinaforge Night Lords

Scientifically proven to be the best legion. :hfive:

Also Space Wolves can be cool when they’re Vikings and not furries. Unfortunately GW wants them to be furries very badly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why do you have to call them furries when they're just werewolves.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Why do you have to call them furries when they're just werewolves.
I'm so sorry you had to find out like this. :smith:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

idk I didn't find it funny 15 years ago. I guess it's why I appreciate the IC community.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
thinking about how people who are really mad about the new naming conventions don't remember when 5e Blood Angels and Space Wolves came out and every piece of wargear had "BLOOD" or "WOLF" in the name.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Der Waffle Mous posted:

thinking about how people who are really mad about the new naming conventions don't remember when 5e Blood Angels and Space Wolves came out and every piece of wargear had "BLOOD" or "WOLF" in the name.

These people don't exist.

Personally, I think both things are stupid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wolfe Wolfenstien will swing his Wolfen Axe of Werewolves.
Wolf.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

idk I didn't find it funny 15 years ago. I guess it's why I appreciate the IC community.
Relax. You responded pretty negatively to a jokey survey that doesn't mean anything. It was only natural that you'd get mildly messed with on SA. Play the army you like and enjoy it your way. For what it's worth, I think that chill Space Wolf players are right up there with chill ork players for their level of hobby output and just simply enjoying the heck out of it all.

And try playing Dark Angels. You get to put up with gay jokes, sword jokes, and traitor memes. Though, thankfully, the gay jokes have pretty much died out over the years as hams have realized those aren't acceptable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Relax. You responded pretty negatively to a jokey survey that doesn't mean anything. It was only natural that you'd get mildly messed with on SA. Play the army you like and enjoy it your way. For what it's worth, I think that chill Space Wolf players are right up there with chill ork players for their level of hobby output and just simply enjoying the heck out of it all.

And try playing Dark Angels. You get to put up with gay jokes, sword jokes, and traitor memes. Though, thankfully, the gay jokes have pretty much died out over the years as hams have realized those aren't acceptable.

I'm being a tool.

srs on ic though nice to get a break from the memes. I'm playing RG vs my RG successors tonight and it's been dubbed the EMO SHO DO(wn)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the thought on those new Eliminators that were released? I really dig their look (because I'm a sucker for robes and capes and poo poo on space marines I guess, which is a substantial part of why I started a small Dark Angels collection as my primary way of getting into this hobby/game :v: ), but is there a consensus on how good or bad they are on the tabletop?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Drone posted:

What's the thought on those new Eliminators that were released? I really dig their look (because I'm a sucker for robes and capes and poo poo on space marines I guess, which is a substantial part of why I started a small Dark Angels collection as my primary way of getting into this hobby/game :v: ), but is there a consensus on how good or bad they are on the tabletop?

I'm going to run two squads with rifles and one with las fusils in about an hour I'll let you know if they manage to kill anyone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Loyalist memes you mean, the traitor stuff is just fact.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Someone has mocked up some alternate colours for Jain Zar:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drone posted:

Great value for the points.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Drone posted:

Eliminators are great offensive units, especially when Raven Guard, but at the end of the day they're still only 6 wounds at T4. If your enemy leaves them alone they'll do nice work for you, but since it doesn't take much of an investment, sometimes only one or two big guns or a squad's worth of little guns, to blast them off the board don't build your army relying on them to kill a character for you on turn four. They'll be long dead way before that. But for the first turn or two? Yeah, they'll do some damage, especially if enemy characters wander in range of the bolt sniper rifles. They work great as Raven Guard because of the extra defense for being in cover and the bonus to hit and wound characters starting turn two, but there are some nice tricks you can pull as Ultramarines or Iron Hands where you can ignore the penalty for moving. Iron Hands works especially well since they also benefit from the -1AP for Devastator and since you get the bonus on turn one, you can hide them behind LOS blocking terrain on turn one, then move them into visible cover and shoot without penalty at whomever you've got range to.

Overall a nifty unit that gives you a lot of sneaky options, but generally won't live to see turn three. Use 'em before you lose 'em.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

This post is so good.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

adamantium|wang posted:

Someone has mocked up some alternate colours for Jain Zar:

I appreciate that someone did this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I lost but my eliminators killed a lieutenant (who had an ex tenebris so ok) and basically nothing else. When they killed the lt on turn two though they did 3 mortals and 3 damage (he made 2/3 saves) which was pretty good.

The las fusils suck rear end (he had no armour except a leviathan rip).

It was also pretty hard going playing RG v RG with doctrines and all the modifier bullshit going on, especially measuring your 12 inches all the time :imunfunny:

Vox espiritum with swift and deadly on chapter master surrounded by auto bolter marines running catechism of fire is good as hell though. Gravis chapter master killed an invictor, Shrike (gently caress you), 7 infiltrators and a librarian so I count the game as a win.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 24, 2019

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Drone posted:

What's the thought on those new Eliminators that were released?

If you use the Sergeant's buff they are among the most reliable wounds you can buy, but you need 2 squads to really get any work done in the first turn. 6 damage from 2 las-fusils won't kill a rhino, and two snipers won't take out most decent characters in one volley. That's 2 heavy support slots, so that can be a pivot point in army composition. They also really, really need cover so some ITC tables may leave them hung a bit out to dry and Imperial Fist style tactics make them juicy targets.

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 24, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zasze posted:

Your missing the point by quite a bit, he is saying the small blast could be used to quickly see how many bonus attacks you would get rather than tape measure around the unit.

Yeah but it doesn't really work since the template measures from the center of the base and not the edge.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After 10 years of only having one army, namely Necrons, I decided over the weekend to pull the trigger on my second army.

I am having so much fun putting these dudes together and can’t wait to get them painted.:3:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lord Ludikrous posted:

After 10 years of only having one army, namely Necrons, I decided over the weekend to pull the trigger on my second army.

I am having so much fun putting these dudes together and can’t wait to get them painted.:3:

Why do you heave a teddy bear wearing a seatbelt in your car?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Booley posted:

It would be irresponsible to not buckle up.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Booley posted:

Why wouldn’t I have a teddy bear wearing a seatbelt in my car?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

There we go; fully magnetized Shrike with swappable heads and backpacks; gap on belt from helmet removal is filled with additional bundle of birb skulls from the upgrade sprue; Shrike clearly needs to head back to Deliverance to bury the things soon.

This was terrifying! The dual-magnet setup I'm using for the backpack does not allow for inaccurate hole placement; everything has to be lined up perfectly and nothing can be proud or sunken. I did mess up a bit and misalign the upper magnet on the plastic backpack maybe a quarter of a milimeter to the left of where it ought to be, but since it's less than half a milimeter off and he's standing at an angle, it's just within tolerance.

Now to wait for the multibuild suppressors and hope they come with a bald masked head so I can give Shrike the half-buzz cover-of-the-codex extra emo haircut he really deserves.

(EDIT: Also, wow, staying up until 3 AM doing this and laundry and meal-prep cooking is clearly doing things to my semicolon use.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

I play with a semi-competitive group and I have a ton of CSM I need to build and paint.

For competitive games, which Legion has the strongest rules?

Can I be a bitch and repost this ^^^

Because I need to know what winning a 40k game feels like.