Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pseudanonymous posted:

What kind of "tax implications" are you talking about? There are no tax implications unless there's some revenue, and guess what, the revenue will be more than the taxes.

What form do you need to report said revenue specifically when dealing with a literary estate? That question alone is enough to stop a fair number of people in this extremely niche situation. It's likely a simple answer but these folks don't care, it's a bother they don't want to deal with.

Also I never said it was a rational set of concerns. God knows any number of living authors can tell you horror stories about dealing with estates they want to see back in print, and it usually boils down to "the heir is ignorant about the publishing industry and isn't willing to learn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Two other big ones are the heirs not caring about, or actively hating, the author or their works. I've heard this is why none of Mike Ford's books are being reprinted.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
that's a crime. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Thread: Read the OP, Bridge of Birds, Murderbot, and How Much for Just the Planet?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Gideon the Ninth note: I skimmed ahead to read the last chapter about halfway through the book, but somehow missed the new skull icon.

What are the odds that this series is set in a future real world? 60%? I'm guessing Canaan House is on Earth, the Sixth House is on Mercury, Ninth House is on Pluto or some other planetoid, who knows about the others. Cytherea mentions she's "the vengeance of the ten billion" maybe the former population of Earth.

Alecto is presumably the girl in the tomb. I assume the reason she's in the tomb is a lie, and don't assume the Emperor is the good guy in any way at all.

Drone Jett fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 23, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm about 90% sure the necroempire or whoever is the totality of the houses and whatnot is a "good guy" in that universe but that just might be me being racist (ableist? It's a skill, not a race, but I dunno how else to say it) against necromancers. Color me paranoid, but anyone fiddling with dead bodies is just gonna cross that line into "probably a bad guy". The fact all the houses have one is a big red (or black) flag to me.

Kinda like the necromongers from that riddick movie.

It's going to be an interesting adventure finding out though.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Drone Jett posted:

Gideon the Ninth note: I skimmed ahead to read the last chapter about halfway through the book, but somehow missed the new skull icon.

I feel deeply offended by this.

I can't lie, I've done that numerous times. But I didn't feel the need to do it with Gideon the Ninth.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 23, 2019

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Drone Jett posted:

What are the odds that this series is set in a future real world? 60%? I'm guessing Canaan House is on Earth, the Sixth House is on Mercury, Ninth House is on Pluto or some other planetoid, who knows about the others. Cytherea mentions she's "the vengeance of the ten billion" maybe the former population of Earth.

Alecto is presumably the girl in the tomb. I assume the reason she's in the tomb is a lie, and don't assume the Emperor is the good guy in any way at all.

Teacher also refers to the experimental area as the foundation of all "necromantic transgression" and his comments about it being super haunted rather suggest that necromancy is not a net positive for the universe. Harrow's initial reaction to reaching Canaan House/Earth is shock at it being basically an enormous grave. There's also the repeated references to 'the chaos post-Resurrection' which suggests that the Emperor at the least made some kind of catastrophic error in the past. I sort of get the impression that the Houses were scraped together as a desperate fiction of normalcy after a great disaster that's been finishing in slow motion up until the current stories.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

occamsnailfile posted:

Teacher also refers to the experimental area as the foundation of all "necromantic transgression" and his comments about it being super haunted rather suggest that necromancy is not a net positive for the universe. Harrow's initial reaction to reaching Canaan House/Earth is shock at it being basically an enormous grave. There's also the repeated references to 'the chaos post-Resurrection' which suggests that the Emperor at the least made some kind of catastrophic error in the past. I sort of get the impression that the Houses were scraped together as a desperate fiction of normalcy after a great disaster that's been finishing in slow motion up until the current stories.

At one point in the story, it's mentioned that to have the power required to do what he did, he would have had to kill an entire planet. I think that's the "vengeance of the ten billion."

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

occamsnailfile posted:

Good points.

Were there any additional hints about what the Emperor is, regarding both his resurrections past (and whatever a house Renewal is) and his power source? We know teacher and the other two priests are probably 3/5 of the "500 into 5" experiment found in one of the rooms, given than the Second necromancer said Teacher had 100 souls crammed in him, but that leaves two of the give "prototypes" unaccounted for. And if an artificial being of 100 souls was a prototype from application of one theorem, and the Lyctors are the union of two souls in one living body from combining all the theorems, is the Emperor perhaps ten billion or so souls crammed in one living body (using his own additional theorem)?

I also wonder what the real purpose of the Last Tomb is and whether the Emperor really wanted or cared if the Ninth progenitors killed themselves off rather than establish an originally unscanctioned house. Leaving the tomb unguarded seems dangerous, regardless of the strength of the wards, but having a potential guardian who can go rogue and get past them (at age ten!) seems dangerous as well.

Survivors mystery - is the Emperor lying about what happened to the survivors in Canaan House who vanished (plus Gideon's body), or did some mysterious faction snatch them away, and if so, who? Only the emperor was supposed to have had communication that something was amiss, so how did Camilla (presumably) organize a separate evacuation?

Alecto, incidentally, was the Fury who punishes sins by mortals especially against mortals. Daughter of Gaia (so Earth) created by Cronos overthrowing and castrating Uranus. Maybe she's the Emperor's daughter and he sacrificed mommy as part of his ascension?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I feel deeply offended by this.

I can't lie, I've done that numerous times. But I didn't feel the need to do it with Gideon the Ninth.

I often do it when I can't devote enough time to rushing through a good book. It's better than having that nagging itch for multiple days.

Drone Jett fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 23, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Drone Jett posted:

Gideon the Ninth note: I skimmed ahead to read the last chapt

Hey speaking of skulls are you back to vomit up some more :biotruths: phrenology about how the blacks are genetically inferior?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

What form do you need to report said revenue specifically when dealing with a literary estate? That question alone is enough to stop a fair number of people in this extremely niche situation. It's likely a simple answer but these folks don't care, it's a bother they don't want to deal with.

Anybody getting any revenue from a literary estate in the first place surely has an accountant.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Someone upthread mentioned that Gideon feels like a book where everyone is the main character in their own book that we just aren't getting to read, and that is very true, and makes me want more in that vein, since the only other one that comes to mind is Blindsight. Are there other reasonably well-written genre books that have that sort of feel?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Hey speaking of skulls are you back to vomit up some more :biotruths: phrenology about how the blacks are genetically inferior?

Yikes! You weren't kidding.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to read Dune. I can also see why people love it so much.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

Anybody getting any revenue from a literary estate in the first place surely has an accountant.

Lol not even remotely. Hell most authors currently writing and getting paid for it don't have an accountant. You really have no idea what you're talking about here.

Battuta, do you have an accountant? Not trying to prove a point here, just honestly curious as most authors I know personally, and thus where I'm drawing knowledge, are horror and mystery writers.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 24, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

general battuta's heirs spend decades curating his shitposts for subsequent publication & jealously keeping his IP out of the public domain

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 24, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

Hahaha. No.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Hell most authors currently writing and getting paid for it don't have an accountant. You really have no idea what you're talking about here.

I made 20k in royalties last financial year from my fiction and you better believe I have an accountant.

edit - I wish somebody hadn't saddled me with our smug, silver spoon ex-PM for an avatar to go alongside this post, but seriously, accountants are not expensive and are in themselves tax deductible. Anybody working in the creative industries, anybody freelancing or working from home etc, should really be using one.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 24, 2019

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I remember naively thinking 20 years ago that they'd eventually digitize and sell most of the media made during the 20th century. We're not even close to that for various reasons.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I should probably have one but I don’t. Are they actually the kind of thing real people can afford?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Of course I’ve never received any royalties either thanks to the miracles of joint accounting :v: Which is unrelated to regular accounting entirely and basically means “every book in your contract must earn out before you get royalties for any of them.”

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

I made 20k in royalties last financial year from my fiction and you better believe I have an accountant.

edit - I wish somebody hadn't saddled me with our smug, silver spoon ex-PM for an avatar to go alongside this post, but seriously, accountants are not expensive and are in themselves tax deductible. Anybody working in the creative industries, anybody freelancing or working from home etc, should really be using one.

I don't disagree, but you're well ahead of the curve.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Of course I’ve never received any royalties either thanks to the miracles of joint accounting :v: Which is unrelated to regular accounting entirely and basically means “every book in your contract must earn out before you get royalties for any of them.”

Wait, so if you're contracted to write three books and the first two books earn out and start accruing royalties but the third never does, does that mean you never get any of the royalties?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You’d get royalties once the royalties from the first two books covered the advance for the third.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

General Battuta posted:

I should probably have one but I don’t. Are they actually the kind of thing real people can afford?

I think people assume they're like lawyers on retainer or something, but unless you're running a complicated small business, "my accountant" means somebody you get in touch with once a year and pay a couple hundred bucks to do an hour or two of work for you.

I assume your advance was treated as income for tax purposes?

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't disagree, but you're well ahead of the curve.

It wasn't a typical year, but I'd use an accountant even if I was running at a loss. As soon as you work from home, whether your business is profitable or not, you can write off all kinds of poo poo. You can do it yourself I suppose, but I prefer to just shell out the couple hundred so I don't push the envelope too far on claiming a percentage of my electricity bill or whatever and end up getting audited down the track. Plus Australia does actually have some weird rules about royalty averageings, or something, which I didn't know about and which my accountant deals with.

Anyway to bring it back to the start, that's why I think it's weird to say that people wouldn't have an accountant to sort out their dead author dad's royalty income if that income was anything more than even a couple grand a year, quite aside from whatever else they might have going on in their financial lives. And we're talking about people who still have physical books in print, but not ebooks, so they're presumably seeing some kind of income stream.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

Anyway to bring it back to the start, that's why I think it's weird to say that people wouldn't have an accountant to sort out their dead author dad's royalty income if that income was anything more than even a couple grand a year, quite aside from whatever else they might have going on in their financial lives. And we're talking about people who still have physical books in print, but not ebooks, so they're presumably seeing some kind of income stream.

Yes, it's weird to you, someone that is financially literate. You are grossly overestimating the financial literacy of other people. You're also assuming a close familial relationship for inheritance and that is often not the case.

Hell, do you even realize that the vast majority of authors don't plan for their literary estate? It's pointless to hire an accountant if you're not even sure you have the rights to dad's books.

If you want to hear a good discussion of how crazy literary estates can be, I recommend checking out episode 163 of The Horror Show With Brian Keene (it's a podcast, but I think it's also up in YouTube).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2019

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

freebooter posted:

It wasn't a typical year, but I'd use an accountant even if I was running at a loss. As soon as you work from home, whether your business is profitable or not, you can write off all kinds of poo poo. You can do it yourself I suppose, but I prefer to just shell out the couple hundred so I don't push the envelope too far on claiming a percentage of my electricity bill or whatever and end up getting audited down the track.

And if you do get audited or whatnot, it's nice to have the accountant who prepared your taxes to sort it out -- I got a letter from the IRS claiming I owed a bunch of additional tax related to misreported retirement income (looked like they misunderstand a transfer) -- dropped my accountant an email, asked her wtf, she replied explaining it's their mistake, don't pay anything, sent me a copy of the letter she faxed them, and a month later I got another letter from the IRS instructing me to disregard the original notice. Massively simpler than trying to figure out how to deal with that on my own.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Man if I’ve got a couple hundred bucks that’s going to the rent, not paying some guy to fill out 1040ES. I had enough recently to buy new shoes!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Man if I’ve got a couple hundred bucks that’s going to the rent, not paying some guy to fill out 1040ES. I had enough recently to buy new shoes!

Don’t worry, once HBO options your series about a gay, possibly evil accountant, you will have plenty.

Also, I am basking in the irony of the only person to write an epic trilogy about an accountant not having one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hah, all you authors pretending to be "poor" in order to be relatable to the common man.

I've seen a few episodes of Castle, I think I know a little more about the publishing industry than most.

Can't pull the wool over these feet.

<:downs:>

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Just read Solaris.

So pretty much every subsequent science fiction story is a ripoff of this huh?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

porfiria posted:

Just read Solaris.

So pretty much every subsequent science fiction story is a ripoff of this huh?

I wouldn't phrase it that way but it's very influential, sure. Afaik nothing did "alien life is completely alien" before.

What did you think of the back-and-forth between "here is 20 pages of pseudo academic backstory about the ocean" and "I am Kelvin oh my god what the gently caress is happening"

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

I wouldn't phrase it that way but it's very influential, sure. Afaik nothing did "alien life is completely alien" before.

Clark Ashton Smith did.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

rad, I need to read more CAS. only done a couple of his stories. I like the one about the shepard boy who's really an ancient king.

I guess theres "The Colour Out of Space" too. but I would put the Lovecraftian "aliens are alien and indifferent" separate from Solaris's "fundamental inability to communicate on a sane level."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This might be considered blasphemy considering the thread I am in, but is the movie version of Solaris a faithful or at least good adaption? The Clooney one, I think.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Some of his sci-fi has aliens with whom communication is possible but the aliens are very alien and others where the humans are basically, "What the actual gently caress was that". He also blends horror and sci-fi pretty well! Vaults of Yoh-Vombis is a good example.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This might be considered blasphemy considering the thread I am in, but is the movie version of Solaris a faithful or at least good adaption? The Clooney one, I think.

No, it’s more about Space Feelings, but I like it a lot anyway

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Just finished Halderman's Forever War, and the 3 chapter preview to Forever Free. I enjoyed War, but I got a lot of libertarian vibes from Free. Is this consistent throughout the book? Or is it more like some of Bank's Culture series, where the sovcit character is clowned on? I'd read a synopsis, but don't want to spoil myself if I do end up reading it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I (finally) just finished Too Like The Lightning, which was a very roller-coaster ride for me. I went from not enjoying it to really enjoying it to kind of being bored to very curious about some of the bigger mysteries at play. How are the other two books? I'm probably going to continue with the trilogy but might take a break between books unless someone tells me they're fantastic.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BlackHattingMachine posted:

Just finished Halderman's Forever War, and the 3 chapter preview to Forever Free. I enjoyed War, but I got a lot of libertarian vibes from Free. Is this consistent throughout the book? Or is it more like some of Bank's Culture series, where the sovcit character is clowned on? I'd read a synopsis, but don't want to spoil myself if I do end up reading it.
Congratulations on finishing a standalone book which did not have sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I (finally) just finished Too Like The Lightning, which was a very roller-coaster ride for me. I went from not enjoying it to really enjoying it to kind of being bored to very curious about some of the bigger mysteries at play. How are the other two books? I'm probably going to continue with the trilogy but might take a break between books unless someone tells me they're fantastic.

They're good, in my opinion! The third one a little less so, but still very good. The twist near the end of 2 Like 2 Lightning does not make the whole story nearly as stupid and obnoxious as I feared it was going to: specifically the series does not devolve into endless cosplay philosophy sex

e: Ada Palmer should write The Good Place The Novel