Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Will it save the planet? No.

Will it help? Yes

Nothing wrong with reveling in the victories we can find.

Just like signing up one (or a dozen) person to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

BMB5150 posted:

FWIW

https://twitter.com/howardfineman/status/1176539782861729792

I won't get my hopes up until she says it.

I won't even get my hopes up until a few days after she says it when the time for them to rearrange words and take back or soften statements has at least ebbed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

I think what McConnell will PROBABLY do is slam the vote through in 20 minutes, dismissing it as partisan nonsense. He tries to not do things that draw attention to himself, and I think that not hearing impeachment will catch public attention much more than not hearing judges.

Knowing this, you'd want to make sure the Senate gets ahold of it with a month or less to go before the elections--that way the vulnerable GOP senators can be strung up by their feet for voting nay (or sacrificed to the White Hot Ball of Rage by their MAGA constituents for voting yea).

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

Studies have shown that (well, pre-Amazon purchase), people viewed Shopping At Whole Foods as "doing a good thing".
lmao what?

on what basis?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Is something happening? What excitement.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

GOP spokesperson

Lethal?

So their excuse is "what we did wasn't that bad and anyway it was the Democrats who really did it and therefor it is bad"

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I've come around on this - the impeachment inquiry in the House is a good thing, even if it won't end with Trump's removal by the Senate.

I previously never saw the point. I was convinced it would be an embarrassment for the House Democrats to go thru all of that just to have the Senate go, "nah," and then that'd be it. But there are lots of formal discoveries that happen during the House investigation.

I still have some worry that the Senate saying "no" will be seen as a "not guilty" verdict by the public.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 24, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

lmao what?

on what basis?

They source locally or whatever? I doubt people even know, they just know that they're being better than you because they bought at a Whole Foods or Earth Fare or whatever. People are stupid.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having a good laugh at "lethal aid"

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Crows Turn Off posted:

The Impeachment Inquiry in the House is a good thing, even if it won't end with Trump's removal by the Senate.

:yeah:

I called john lewis's DC and Atlanta offices and strongly voiced my support for his speech today, luv my rep

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1176542065871806465

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepKatieHill/status/1176537420352954368

With Katie we are at 169

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arturo Ui posted:

My painfully centrist rep Stevens (MI-11) announced support for impeachment today. I expect if she's on board, almost every dem is at this point

:same: (Fletcher, TX-7) though I wouldn't characterize her as painfully centrist as much as yawn-inducingly centrist because it's frankly not a surprise given her district (Clinton +1 and held by an R for 18 years)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
My take on individual consumption choices is that once the massive reforms/revolution occur that are necessary to mitigate climate change, you won't be able to enjoy those consumption options anyway, so you might as well get used to it now. It has the added benefit of normalizing those lifestyle choices (to a small degree) so they won't seem as alien to the general OECD population.

But the only way to actually make significant contributions to making that world a reality is engaging with organized political mobilization.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Soooo what would happen if Trump is impeached/voted out/etc, but refuses to leave? Military arrest?
It won't get to the point that the electoral college votes for a Democrat and they're sworn in in January 2021, and Trump refuses.

What could happen is after election night in November 2020, the Democrat clearly wins, and over the course of the next few weeks, "irregularities" are found in the two or three swing states needed to give it to Trump, and then poo poo gets crammed through the courts that give Republicans enough cover to steal those electors and the whole election.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ummel posted:

This is gonna sound trivial for the eco:matters: crowd in here today, but this happened to me. All I did was put a recycling bin just for used water bottles in my office and a couple people use it and I empty it weekly. One person said that the bin made her realize how many bottles per week she used (she brings in a 6 pack of Aquafina per day) so she switched to a Brita filter bottle. So that's 120 plastic bottles a month saved.

Of course this a drop in a bucket considering the single use plastic issues hospitals have, but hopefully it changes the worldview of someone, anyone, and that's a Good Thing.

I can't stop laughing at the idea that saying widespread political action is needed means that "nothing matters."

Just because you can't solve a problem by buying a thing or spending money doesn't mean that you have no agency.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Inferior Third Season posted:

and over the course of the next few weeks, "irregularities" are found in the two or three swing states needed to give it to Trump,

By whom?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

theflyingorc posted:

Asking people to make small climate sacrifices makes them less likely to do the really important ones, not more.

yes but we have zero agency for the really important ones anyway.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Republicans and the media.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

nice.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Inferior Third Season posted:

Republicans and the media.

They don't have enough control of Pennsylvania elections to pull that off

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The fact that all these dems are coming out all of a sudden tells me pelosi has the votes and has cover to actually do her job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A... Good 538 article?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-moderate-middle-is-a-myth/

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Would impeachment make any difference as far as making the administration comply with subpoenas? Like, can they just drag Mnuchin out of the office and into a cell if he gives another terrible excuse why he's not handing over Trump's tax return? One of the most frustrating things about the last year has been watching them ignore legal demands, the House threatening to hold them in contempt, and then nothing happens.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are people actually surprised he did this? Wasn't the rear end in a top hat asked a few months ago after the Mueller report came out, directly if he would ask for dirt on a political rival? And he basically said yeah he would.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

haveblue posted:

As of that moment the Secret Service switch their allegiance to Pence. As a former President Trump would still be entitled to protection but they don't take his orders any more. Pence could have him removed from the premises or (worst timeline) decide to keep him on as some kind of advisor.

Trump's real problem at that point would become getting arrested by one state or another (or Pence's DOJ, for that matter) for the crimes that led to Republicans voting to convict, which would have to be colossal.

It doesn't have to be colossal, just more favorable for them to impeach than not. If they're convinced Trump won't get re-elected, well the end of this term is the end of his usefulness to them in a direct policy sense. Plus impeaching him on this means not impeaching him on campaign poo poo, so it doesn't completely obliterate the legitimacy of his presidency (and therefor the legitimacy of his judges and poo poo).

I still doubt they will but this Ukraine poo poo at the end of his term is more likely than anything before it. The above kinda assumes they want to reorient back towards being the party of quiet white supremacists instead of the party of loud white supremacists.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Would impeachment make any difference as far as making the administration comply with subpoenas?

Yes. You can look a few pages back for the lawfare link.

Phenotype posted:

Like, can they just drag Mnuchin out of the office and into a cell if he gives another terrible excuse why he's not handing over Trump's tax return?

but no this in particular will never happen

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zotix posted:

Are people actually surprised he did this? Wasn't the rear end in a top hat asked a few months ago after the Mueller report came out, directly if he would ask for dirt on a political rival? And he basically said yeah he would.

well yeah, that's when he did it

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Zotix posted:

the surprise is that the democrats are actually maybe kinda starting to do something about any of it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nice.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zotix posted:

This is just too glaringly blatant, plus it's a failson of the elite which is an issue that cuts across the aisles.

Trump basically told ukraine that he's withholding money appropriated by congress until they agreed to help knife joe Biden, and he's on the phone doing it.

When they agreed, he not only gave them the 450mil from congress but an ADDITIONAL 120 which I'm sure is going to end up in the right pockets.

This is on the level of Nixon negotiating with Hanoi during the 1968 elections. You just can't do nothing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This is pretty big, she's my hometown rep. The area has been a reliably Republican area for my entire life, and only flipped D because of the wave year (and even then, I don't think it was a comfortable margin). She didn't campaign on being a centrist, but it's a very purple district.
The scales may be tipping.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TGLT posted:

The above kinda assumes they want to reorient back towards being the party of quiet white supremacists instead of the party of loud white supremacists.

They may want to, but the base won't allow it. After getting the straight racism for years they wont settle fog dog whistles.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

This is just too glaringly blatant, plus it's a failson of the elite which is an issue that cuts across the aisles.

Trump basically told ukraine that he's withholding money appropriated by congress until they agreed to help knife joe Biden, and he's on the phone doing it.

When they agreed, he not only gave them the 450mil from congress but an ADDITIONAL 120 which I'm sure is going to end up in the right pockets.

This is on the level of Nixon negotiating with Hanoi during the 1968 elections. You just can't do nothing.

Except LBJ had him dead to rights and chose to do nothing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This is over 70% of the caucus (even if there are a few independents/Rs in there, probably not the latter)! When the gently caress will Pelosi get a clue?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

More to the point, if they let Trump get away with this then it will become the standard thing to do for every major political office holder going forward and :confuoot:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So side note: can the acting DNI head be impeached (do they count as one of "civil officers of the United States")? 'cause I would probably start with them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

This is over 70% of the caucus (even if there are a few independents/Rs in there, probably not the latter)! When the gently caress will Pelosi get a clue?

For me personally? hopefully by 3pm CST

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

OddObserver posted:

So side note: can the acting DNI head be impeached (do they count as one of "civil officers of the United States")? 'cause I would probably start with them.

Start with Barr, he's the one who made the call most likely.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nail Rat posted:

...this afternoon? Are you paying any attention at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

theflyingorc posted:

...this afternoon? Are you paying any attention at all

Uh, guess not, I missed that, sorry.