Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I also don’t really want to put tablets in reach of every seating area...I think? Maybe.

I definitely do not do this. Kitchen, living room....one in the basement/home theater, one in the master bedroom.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Getting into bed and turning off all of the lights that may be on with one push of a button is pretty awesome.

Turns out I can do this by touching something instead of using my voice and it works every time. Works without internet access or sending potentially everything that happens in my house to "the cloud." And it is awesome. I even know if I've left any windows or doors open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, when Mozilla’s Pipsqueak thing is farther along I’m probably going to switch to that from Echo, but for now I’m moving to a setup where only the STT needs someone else’s cloud service as far as home automation goes. Hue emulation will let local dispatch happen, and it covers everything the Echo/ST controls or reports right now. To turn on the car’s climate control or find out the weather will need to talk to the internet, of course.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The filter sensor platform in HASS, is it dynamic (i.e. generates output on the fly whenever called, incl. "old" states), or does it run and generate states only in lockstep with the underlying sensor (not generating filtered history for before its setup)?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 2, 2019

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
My breaker the circuit that my freezer is on popped. Thankfully it must have been recent and nothing unfroze.

Any thoughts on either temperature sensors that work in freezing temperatures or another way to get alerts if it doesn’t have power? I have SmartThings (until I pull the trigger and migrate to Home Assistant.)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Combat Pretzel posted:

The filter sensor platform in HASS, is it dynamic (i.e. generates output on the fly whenever called, incl. "old" states), or does it run and generate states only in lockstep with the underlying sensor (not generating filtered history for before its setup)?

I always assumed it was lockstep since Hass is all event/state machine based, but now you're making me question.

One easy way to check would be to look at the developer panels and monitor the state event on the filter to see if it triggers by itself or if it only updates on input state.

Boner Wad posted:

My breaker the circuit that my freezer is on popped. Thankfully it must have been recent and nothing unfroze.

Any thoughts on either temperature sensors that work in freezing temperatures or another way to get alerts if it doesn’t have power? I have SmartThings (until I pull the trigger and migrate to Home Assistant.)

I have one of these on my washing machine to monitor when it's running/done: https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Power-Switch-ZEN15-Humidifiers/dp/B07578W7KY

Although really, what you would need to do is just watch to see whether the device itself disappears, which seems simultaneously simpler and yet more tricky (since sensor failure isn't usually intended as an every day operating input).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What are the best options for floodlight security cameras? I keep seeing the Ring one recommended but I'm trying to avoid Ring since my home is pretty much exclusively Google. Alternatively I'm wondering if I even need one and a regular motion activated light (no camera) would suffice

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What are the best options for floodlight security cameras? I keep seeing the Ring one recommended but I'm trying to avoid Ring since my home is pretty much exclusively Google. Alternatively I'm wondering if I even need one and a regular motion activated light (no camera) would suffice

It's my understanding that a motion activated light is pretty effective on its own. As an in between, you could upgrade a standard flood light with something like this: https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-fls100-z-wave-plus-floodlight-sensor-open-box

That would give you the option to listen for / record timestamps for triggered motion, etc.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Hubis posted:

It's my understanding that a motion activated light is pretty effective on its own. As an in between, you could upgrade a standard flood light with something like this: https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-fls100-z-wave-plus-floodlight-sensor-open-box

That would give you the option to listen for / record timestamps for triggered motion, etc.

Oh, that's an interesting thing, thanks!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I really wish someone would make a camera/motion sensor/intercom device in a front door light form factor.
Basically, Kuna but not cloud-based (or at least with official and supported access to the camera stream, audio, etc.).

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Eufy has their floodlight camera available now, but it just came on the market, so can't speak to performance yet.

I have 4 of their other cameras and they've been good so far.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Eufy has their floodlight camera available now, but it just came on the market, so can't speak to performance yet.

I have 4 of their other cameras and they've been good so far.

Now this is what I'm looking for! Still need to decide if it's necessary but I think I'll lean this way if it is

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Indoor security cams

Seems to be a recurring question here, but is there a solution for a camera that I can use online, but won't set up a DDOS network with my fridge or set up a livestream of my taking a dump?

I want an indoor security camera so that if someone breaks in, I can get an alert on my phone and call the cops. Also for checking while I am on holiday to make sure the ceiling hasn't fallen in.

Storing locally on an SD card or NAS is of limited use since if they can get inside, there's a good chance they will steal/break local storage.

Kasa has some stuff that is branded with TP-Link and seems to get reasonable reviews and includes 2 days of free online storage. Or is it naive to assume that TP-Link would at least take a cursory look at the network security of devices they are endorsing?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

Indoor security cams

Seems to be a recurring question here, but is there a solution for a camera that I can use online, but won't set up a DDOS network with my fridge or set up a livestream of my taking a dump?

I want an indoor security camera so that if someone breaks in, I can get an alert on my phone and call the cops. Also for checking while I am on holiday to make sure the ceiling hasn't fallen in.

Storing locally on an SD card or NAS is of limited use since if they can get inside, there's a good chance they will steal/break local storage.

Kasa has some stuff that is branded with TP-Link and seems to get reasonable reviews and includes 2 days of free online storage. Or is it naive to assume that TP-Link would at least take a cursory look at the network security of devices they are endorsing?

I use the Netgear Arlo cameras. I specifically use the completely wire-free ones as they suited my use case the best. Unfortunately they take a few seconds to wake from sleep so you often miss the first few seconds of any motion event. I don't believe this limitation exists for the wired ones.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Slash posted:

I use the Netgear Arlo cameras. I specifically use the completely wire-free ones as they suited my use case the best. Unfortunately they take a few seconds to wake from sleep so you often miss the first few seconds of any motion event. I don't believe this limitation exists for the wired ones.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quite a bit more than I was planning to spend, though. I was hoping for a single camera for <£50. We've got a pro-grade camera system around the block covering the exterior - this is just a standalone to keep an eye on the lounge when I am out.

I did pick up one from China that works well, but the app that came with it is a piece of poo poo that will drain your battery in 3 hours unless you exit it in a very specific way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wyze firs your budget.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

sharkytm posted:

Wyze firs your budget.

A very interesting recommendation, thanks.

But...only 12seconds of cloud storage? That seems pretty useless unless the thief happens to stare at the camera in the first 10 secs of breaking in

. The Kasa free cloud storage gives you 4hrs of cloud storage (though, only accessible for 2 days)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

i've got a decent little Homeseer system going (linux version running off a raspberry pi).
I want to branch out into building our security system now. I will likely be opting for a DSC panel with an Envisalink module for internet connectivity, and Envisalink has its own monitoring service at $9/month. Wife wants pro monitoring, so we are getting pro monitoring... I'm not a fan of proprietary systems like Ring because, being in Canada, sometimes companies that expanded here end up packing it in and pulling out. DSC could be monitored by anyone, in theory.

Here's my question - is it possible to have zwave devices feed into the DSC panel as sensors/alarms? Zwave is proving to be very good around the house, so for some random sensors I might want to pick up a zwave thing but have it notify authorities if there's an issue. I will try to stick to DSC as much as possible so that future monitoring is easy.

I'm also looking for a good exterior wireless camera solution - is there something that is proven to work in low temperatures? I'm hoping that I can tie power off my exterior porch lights but I suspect I will need a wifi solution.

Edited to add that I'm in Canada

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 24, 2019

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Shut up Meg posted:

A very interesting recommendation, thanks.

But...only 12seconds of cloud storage? That seems pretty useless unless the thief happens to stare at the camera in the first 10 secs of breaking in

. The Kasa free cloud storage gives you 4hrs of cloud storage (though, only accessible for 2 days)

Add an SD card to each camera to expand from 12 seconds to days.

Also, they have mentioned theyre working on longer cloud notifications.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cornjob posted:

Add an SD card to each camera to expand from 12 seconds to days.

Also, they have mentioned theyre working on longer cloud notifications.

I went with the Kase cameras because I couldn't get past that 12s limit - assuming that any home intruder would rip them off the wall and take them with him.

Also, because they were amazon specials (£30 for the fixed camera and £35 for the pan/tilt - compared to the Wyze pan/tilt for £75.)

But your comment made me curious because I had checked specs and a SD card slot was not mentioned in the specs on amazon......because it's a feckin knock-off! Even branded 'Wyze,' but is actually some 'Neos' shite.

E: you can see why I thought there was a knock-off and the genuine one...but they are both knock-offs

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 25, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shut up Meg posted:

I went with the Kase cameras because I couldn't get past that 12s limit - assuming that any home intruder would rip them off the wall and take them with him.

Also, because they were amazon specials (£30 for the fixed camera and £35 for the pan/tilt - compared to the Wyze pan/tilt for £75.)

But your comment made me curious because I had checked specs and a SD card slot was not mentioned in the specs on amazon......because it's a feckin knock-off! Even branded 'Wyze,' but is actually some 'Neos' shite.

E: you can see why I thought there was a knock-off and the genuine one...but they are both knock-offs

Yeah both the Wyze and Neos are rebranded Xiaomi cameras. Dafang hacks is third party firmware for them although the Neos seems to be new so they say to proceed with caution:
https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shut up Meg posted:

Ehhhhhhhh, let me break this down for you.

Ok, so you go to Micro Center and pick up a Wyze Cam ($20) or a Wyze Cam Pan ($30.)

You set it up by using the iOS / Android app that Wyze provides (no desktop apps for some inexplicable reason) by scanning a code the app throws on the screen with the camera itself (kinda neat security wise.) It joins your 2.4 GHz (only, no 5 GHz) WiFi net and off you go.

You shove in the cheapest microSD card you can find (there are 'high endurance' microSD's on the market now that get used in dashboard cams but the cheapo HK ones that MicroCenter sells seem fine enough, had em for three months and no signs of corruption or damage) format it with the built-in cam software and you're all set.

Then there's other stuff to set up, like camera sensitivity, detection zone, and on the Pan you get to set up waypoints in its 360 degree view, which is handy as it will cycle every 10 seconds to a waypoint in the order you create them.

In the app, you have two screens, one lets you jump directly to controlling the camera, another screen lists 'Events.'

Now, HERE is where the 12-second limit isn't really much of one. Events show you 12 seconds worth of what the camera sees as the event begins, but if you go to a different screen it displays a timeline of videos where you can see the entire event which is usually much longer. The real video is stored in the microSD card.

So, in effect, the 12-second videos are just pointers / placeholders / chapter markers you can use to decide which videos to go to in the timeline view.

You can be a cheap bastard and only live with the free 12-second videos on cloud storage provided by Wyze, or you can man up and buy a microSD card and enjoy the full videos. I use a 256 GB micro SD and it's totally enough to jump back to 2 weeks worth of videos. 2 weeks is the limit to the 12-second previews.

The Wyze system does have a boatload of limitations (2.4 GHz only, only 2K resolution (1920 * 1080), mediocre camera that does its best in bright daylight only, cloud storage is some shadowy address in China, other poo poo) but for the Typical Cheap Buttheaded Goon, at its low low price, it hits a lot of points. It also has a speaker so you can use your best Internet Tough Guy voice to scare intruders/strangers away (if its mounted outside) or beg them not to take your priceless Ming vase with the capsaicin bomb inside.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Or is it naive to assume that TP-Link would at least take a cursory look at the network security of devices they are endorsing?

Kasa is TP-Link.

Also TP-Link is loving godawful at apps and support and consumer cloud.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah both the Wyze and Neos are rebranded Xiaomi cameras. Dafang hacks is third party firmware for them although the Neos seems to be new so they say to proceed with caution:
https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks
That's good to know: Xiaomi seems to make some good hardware.
The Neos app seems to get panned in Amazon reviews due to it asking for too much information.

Binary Badger posted:

Ehhhhhhhh, let me break this down for you.
:words:
I don't want to just dismissively handwave away your excellent and helpful post, but it still has the basic issue: there's no point in capturing excellent footage if it's only available on an SD card that is currently sitting at the botttom of a river after the thief ripped the camera off my lounge wall whilst stealing my valuables. Perhaps we are thinking of different use cases, but for me, this is a major weakness.

Molten Llama posted:

Kasa is TP-Link.
That's good to know. Router manufacturers definitely aren't the very best at network security, but they are leagues ahead of the developers of IoT who seem to fail at the basics time and time again (as previously mentioned in this thread)

quote:

Also TP-Link is loving godawful at apps and support and consumer cloud.
Maybe they outsourced the app development for their Kasa products, because so far, I am really impressed with the app that came with it. It's intuitive, with a lot of customisable options.
It looks like they are building up a smart home platform and this is one component, along with bulbs and sockets.
My ISP died last night - long enough for all my android phones to give up on the wifi connection, but the camera seemed to cope with that just fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't want to just dismissively handwave away your excellent and helpful post, but it still has the basic issue: there's no point in capturing excellent footage if it's only available on an SD card that is currently sitting at the botttom of a river after the thief ripped the camera off my lounge wall whilst stealing my valuables. Perhaps we are thinking of different use cases, but for me, this is a major weakness.

Yeah, thanks :)

I cycle between several different microSD cards, but you're right that it's useless if the camera is in an accessible location where it can be burgled at the same time as the incident.

Still good for cases like watching a porch for assholes swiping packages left by lazy UPS/FedEx/'name one' couriers.

I'm gonna go and say that for $30, Wyze isn't selling it as a super secure system, more of 'good enough for the money depending on the situation' solution.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Would it be more secure to roll your own home camera network system by buying a raspberry pi surveillance kit or something, something less commonly used, as opposed to using a cloud-based corporate system that is assuredly capable of leaking stuff about you to unscrupulous companies and governments?

The SecFuck thread seems to frequently turn up examples of these home security systems being used for unauthorized tracking, kind of like how "smart TVs" with built-in mics and network access have been caught sharing stuff about your home to advertisers.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 30, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, thanks :)

I cycle between several different microSD cards, but you're right that it's useless if the camera is in an accessible location where it can be burgled at the same time as the incident.

Still good for cases like watching a porch for assholes swiping packages left by lazy UPS/FedEx/'name one' couriers.

I'm gonna go and say that for $30, Wyze isn't selling it as a super secure system, more of 'good enough for the money depending on the situation' solution.

All good points.

Frankly, I am amazed at how good this stuff is for the price point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Would it be more secure to roll your own home camera network system by buying a raspberry pi surveillance kit or something, something less commonly used, as opposed to using a cloud-based corporate system that is assuredly capable of leaking stuff about you to unscrupulous companies and governments?

The SecFuck thread seems to frequently turn up examples of these home security systems being used for unauthorized tracking, kind of like how "smart TVs" with built-in mics and network access have been caught sharing stuff about your home to advertisers.

My guess is that the most secure system would be a Nest system.

It's probably more likely that your average nerd has a misconfigured network or software when they're running raspberry pis or Blue Iris or whatever than Google intentionally sending your stuff to a bad guy.

And I certainly trust Google to have their act together more than any of these way smaller cloud operators like Netgear.

On the other hand Nest is a much bigger target...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'd hesitate to use the Nest system if I were in the situation where I might be embroiled in some legal hash and someone got the bright idea to send a letter to Google typed out by the highest ranking paralegal in the lawyer's office to find out "was Binary J. Badger recorded at being home by his Nest on the night of Elemberish the 22nd, 2015?"

Because Google, seeing the legal letterhead, would immediately give up that information in less than the space of a hummingbird's heartbeat if that happened.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, you have conflicting pressures on which system to buy into.

You should assume any cloud provider is going to immediately turn over your videos when they get a legal notice of some sort...but I'm more confident in Google not turning your info over to a notice on a lawyer's letterhead than I am in TP-Link or Waze or whomever.

The only way around that is to host your own, but then you're possibly more likely to be leaking your video out of your own network either because of a misconfiguration, insecure software, lovely router firmware, etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I'd hesitate to use the Nest system if I were in the situation where I might be embroiled in some legal hash and someone got the bright idea to send a letter to Google typed out by the highest ranking paralegal in the lawyer's office to find out "was Binary J. Badger recorded at being home by his Nest on the night of Elemberish the 22nd, 2015?"

Because Google, seeing the legal letterhead, would immediately give up that information in less than the space of a hummingbird's heartbeat if that happened.

I'll be honest, I lead a boring, normal suburban lifestyle but I've seen enough Coen brothers movies to imagine that I too would one day be in my living room, bodies strewn all over and blood everywhere and I'll be standing there, holding some weapon and breathing heavily when I slowly look up and notice my Nest cam and that's the only reason I've never gotten one even though the wife just wants to see the cats when she's at work.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Anyone good at troubleshooting SmartThings issues?

I have a v2 hub that has worked fine for the last year or so, connected to my Schlage front door lock among other things. I have it monitor if my son has left the door unlocked at a certain time on weekdays and it would send me a simple popup notification on my iPhone letting me know and I could then go into the app and lock it if nobody else was home at the time.

I recently upgraded to a new(er) iPhone and the notifications stopped coming. Everything else works fine: I can control the Schlage lock thru the app, I can set automations, etc., I just don't receive the notifications anymore. I realized after a couple of days that the notifications were being sent, but were going to my old phone that was powered down. So I removed that phone from iCloud (factory reset), rebooted my SmartThings hub, and its still not working.

Short of factory resetting my entire hub and starting from scratch is there some way I can get the notifications to point to my new phone, which for all intents and purposes is the same as the old one (iOS, iCloud account, email, etc.)?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If your automations depend on presence detection on an iPhone, I'm pretty sure that functionality straight up doesn't work in SmartThings

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
No, the way I have the automation set up is it checks the status of the lock at 9am every M - F, if it is unlocked it sends me a notification telling my the door is unlocked and I can then leave it alone (if someone is home) or go into the SmartThings app and lock it remotely.

This worked fine up until last week when I activated a new phone. The notifications were still going to the old phone, but I logged it out of SmartThings and iCoud and reset it to factory default, hoping that would trigger the notifications to start on my new iPhone. But they aren't coming. I'm not sure how to make SmartThings send the notifications to my new phone when everything is identical to my old one, I literally transferred over the settings when I activated it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Who here is running haas.io on bare metal?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Who here is running haas.io on bare metal?

I guess I do, but hass.io runs in docker by default.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I guess it depends on what you mean by bare metal...

It runs as docker containers on every platform. The Pi and NUC Images are Hass.io running on top of their own custom Linux OS called HassOS which itself is based on a embedded Linux project called Buildroot.

Personally I installed Hass.io on top of a generic Ubuntu Server 19.04 installation. (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ Scroll down to "Alternative: install on a generic Linux host".) Hardware is a Lenovo Tiny m53 mini PC I snagged off ebay for $70 over a year ago and equipped with a 120GB SSD. Hass.io works 100% this route just as it would on a Pi, except with a lot more power available and WAY faster than on a Pi.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

Personally I installed Hass.io on top of a generic Ubuntu Server 19.04 installation. (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ Scroll down to "Alternative: install on a generic Linux host".) Hardware is a Lenovo Tiny m53 mini PC I snagged off ebay for $70 over a year ago and equipped with a 120GB SSD. Hass.io works 100% this route just as it would on a Pi, except with a lot more power available and WAY faster than on a Pi.

This is what I did as well, except on an old Lenovo tower I had laying around.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This is what I did as well, except on an old Lenovo tower I had laying around.

Yeah I went with the Tiny because we use them at work and I am familiar with them. Plus they only use like ~15 watts of power at idle meaning it costs a whole $15 to power it for the entire year.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mine is an old Lenovo consumer model that my dad had for a while. It was free, and better than the circa 2008 netbook I was running it on before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

stevewm posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by bare metal...

It runs as docker containers on every platform. The Pi and NUC Images are Hass.io running on top of their own custom Linux OS called HassOS which itself is based on a embedded Linux project called Buildroot.

I (as well as a friend trying it on his own computer) tried the alternative method to install outside of a docker and we didn't get far. Googling didn't help us much since we couldn't find many people doing it. I'll try again.

Thanks.